Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree47Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    Did anyone use WinMo? What were the general opinions when WinMo was discontinued?

I only knew one person who used a WinMo device (my mother's next door neighbour, who had a Samsung Jack). He has Samsung Galaxy S3 now.

Did WinMo have a dedicated fan base like webOS or BlackBerry?
    I don't exactly know how the community reacted as it never pulled me in quite like the webOS community. But I was a WinMo user.

webOS is what got me away from WinMo. It seemed like everyone knew it was coming. There was just no way a Win CE-based OS was going to survive in a world with OSes truly designed for mobile cell phones. Win CE felt like a watered down desktop environment not designed from the ground up with touch interface in mind, so it was janky. That's true even after they started to stick UI layers on top as HTC had been doing. So yeah... it felt like only a matter of time with WinMo, imho. A complete overhaul to WP7/8 only made sense. Not really the same feeling as the demise of webOS and BB who were in the midst of trying brilliant changes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  2.    #22  
    I wish Berd would swing by for your question (he's one of our oldest moderators - in time here, not age). Berd was one of the guys who's Treo's were the WinMo version instead of the PalmOS version like mine. I've used WinMo, but wasn't a fan compared to PalmOS so I really can't answer the question of whether it was missed. I know others who definitely preferred WinMo and were sad to see it go.
    Laura Knotek and Rnp like this.
    WinMo was huge over at XDA... You could read up on some history there.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Laura Knotek and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    WinMo was huge over at XDA... You could read up on some history there.
    Agreed; that's where I hung out. Funny it's so Android now. Wasn't WinMo/CE the genesis of XDA, or am I mistaken?

Edit: Derp, that is correct. The site was originally named after the O2 line of HTC Windows Mobile devices branded XDA (PDA with eXtra features).
    Last edited by ananimus; 09/30/2013 at 04:01 PM.
    I was over there for PocketPC stuff. I host files from a thread over there that still get downloads.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Laura Knotek, Rnp and ananimus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Agreed; that's where I hung out. Funny it's so Android now. Wasn't WinMo/CE the genesis of XDA, or am I mistaken?

Edit: Derp, that is correct. The site was originally named after the O2 line of HTC Windows Mobile devices branded XDA (PDA with eXtra features).

Thanks for the explanation. I never knew HTC existed prior to the Dream. However, I am rather ignorant of the history of WinMo. I only knew what the Samsung Jack was because Ozzy Osbourne advertised it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/30/2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Laura Knotek
    Rnp, RumoredNow and ananimus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I never knew HTC existed prior to the Dream. However, I am rather ignorant of the history of WinMo. I only knew what the Samsung Jack was because Ozzy Osbourne advertised it.
    Yep. HTC manufactured devices for other companies to brand for a long time (forget what that's called). Was a while before they truly "became their own brand." Odd too, because they made some of the best darn hardware with cool software tweaks right out of the gate as I recall. Loved my HTC PPC's!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Yep. HTC manufactured devices for other companies to brand for a long time (forget what that's called). Was a while before they truly "became their own brand." Odd too, because they made some of the best darn hardware with cool software tweaks right out of the gate as I recall. Loved my HTC PPC's!

Did HTC make anything for Palm?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/30/2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Laura Knotek
    Yup. They were the ODM (original device manufacturer, I remembered!) for the Treo 650.

Oh... and it looks like everything through the Treo Pro, too? Huh.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTC_devices (see bottom of page)
    Last edited by ananimus; 09/30/2013 at 05:18 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    I used a Treo Pro for about a year when I was awaiting the Pre to come out in Australia (spoilers- it never did), and while I loved the keyboard and overall design, the OS left a little to be desired. It was often rather lethargic and glitchy with apps often crashing and simply not loading. I had a hard time gaining reliable data connections, and the music player in particular was awful. The multitasking also was poor as one had to tap on a tiny cross on the top right corner which was extremely difficult without a stylus (particularly after my stylus broke). The spinning beach ball (like OSX) also was weirdly contained in a box, and looked like that they had forgotten to remove the background in photoshop. In short, after I moved to a Pre, Windows Mobile for me wasn't exactly missed, but I have since had a brief stint on windows phone which was much better
    Laura Knotek likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12