Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Story about an interesting company that tried to rate the user experience of mobile OS's based on user feedback. Would have been curious to see how WebOS would have fared in this:
    http://m.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/24/ios_7_spanks_samsungs_version_of_android_in_user_experience_rating/
    ive read several posts about ios7 crashing/locking up and generally misbehanving on the tablets, should probably wait for the whole thing to be stable b4 rating it.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    They hit this nail on the head... It's why I can't stand Touch Wiz.

It makes using a device seem like a never ending chore.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    xandros9 and ananimus like this.
    I'd love to see someone put an item-by-item comparison (screenshot/chart) between iOS7 and webOS to see what Apple was missing for the past 4 years. Siri (voice command) is the only thing webOS didn't already have for software.
    Well the Chinese guys have "Just Say" but it was introduced after Siri so credits for that indeed goes to Apple ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 09/25/2013 at 02:09 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    They hit this nail on the head... It's why I can't stand Touch Wiz.
    [/URL]

It makes using a device seem like a never ending chore.
    I like TouchWiz much more than Google experience. i cant stand original Android icons and blue text on black. Android's dominant black makes me sick.
    There's nothing worse than tech "reporters" writing biased stories to support their platform of choice. IOS7 has been out for about a week now and that was enough time for users to use both and produce an accurate poll? I since some advertisement fluff here for iOS7. I'm definitely not a big fan of TouchWiz simply because the user experience is inconsistent when using non-Samsung apps, but give me a break on the Apple worship already. They (Apple) don't innovate anymore. IOS7 is just a crappy rip off of webOS, Android, and Windows Phone. I when I say crappy, I do mean CRAPPY. I had to welcome the iOS users in my office to the year 2011. The "innovation" in iOS7 is two years behind everyone else. If Apple continues to work at this pace maybe we can welcome them to 2013 in about a year and a half.

--vent-- What I hate most about some Apple users is how completely dumb and arrogant they are. Some of the guys in my office had the nerve to bad mouth Samsung products. That is until I told them that Samsung makes the processor, screen, and some of the other parts of the iPhone. They were shocked and told me it wasn't true until we Googled it. I was told that Samsung made plastic products until I mentioned that the 5c was made out of plastic. One guy was going on and on about "card view" in iOS7 and how it was the best thing he's seen. He even said that Android didn't have that, until I should him recent app view. Then he said the cards were too small and I can't make them bigger on my tablet, so I booted into webOS. After showing him large cards in webOS that are live, can be moved around, stacked, and sling-shot off the screen, he walk away embarrased. I also mentioned that this was on an OS that had been around since 2009. They bragged about how Apple sold 9 million iPhones (5s and 5c combined) in a few days but got upset when I told them that Samsung sold over 100 million smart phones last year (I was wrong, it was really 205 million smartphones out of the 384.6 million phones Samsung sold total. Apple sold 130 million). This was all prompted by a news story on TV about the iPhone and iOS that ended, to their dispare, by saying that Android controlled 80% of the world wide smartphone market and it would be hard for Apple to catch up. Arrogant, dumb, and egg on face all at the same time --end vent--

edit: BTW, I had to show the guy how to activate card view in iOS7 and explain to him some of the features about the OS that he was going on and on about being the best ever. It was the best ever yet he didn't even know how to use it or what new features were added? I don't think that, as an overall group, iOS users are trustworthy, experienced, and unbiased enough to participate in an OS comparison.
    Last edited by k4ever; 09/25/2013 at 02:55 PM.
    PalmPixi_User23 and laoh like this.
    I knew that it was just a matter of time before the shift from capability back to usability.

Looking at that picture of Touchwiz, I no longer wonder why I have had to honk at other people 10 seconds after a traffic light has turned green!
    ananimus likes this.
    Lol.... Seriously? The default layout is why you hate TouchWiz? Just remove everything.....problem solved

I use Nova Launcher, 2 home screens, and my dock slides to 3 different positions with a few apps stacked on top.

There's some TouchWiz features that I'm not willing to part with, which is why I still use it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'd love to see someone put an item-by-item comparison (screenshot/chart) between iOS7 and webOS to see what Apple was missing for the past 4 years. Siri (voice command) is the only thing webOS didn't already have for software.
    Apple Tops Customer Satisfaction Study for 9th Time in a Row

Looks like nothing has been missing for the past 9 years.

Apple Tops J.D Power Satisfaction Survey For 7th Time

And as you see in the above link from early 2012, Palm placed last.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    There's nothing worse than tech "reporters" writing biased stories to support their platform of choice. IOS7 has been out for about a week now and that was enough time for users to use both and produce an accurate poll? I since some advertisement fluff here for iOS7. I'm definitely not a big fan of TouchWiz simply because the user experience is inconsistent when using non-Samsung apps, but give me a break on the Apple worship already. They (Apple) don't innovate anymore. IOS7 is just a crappy rip off of webOS, Android, and Windows Phone. I when I say crappy, I do mean CRAPPY. I had to welcome the iOS users in my office to the year 2011. The "innovation" in iOS7 is two years behind everyone else. If Apple continues to work at this pace maybe we can welcome them to 2013 in about a year and a half.

--vent-- What I hate most about some Apple users is how completely dumb and arrogant they are. Some of the guys in my office had the nerve to bad mouth Samsung products. That is until I told them that Samsung makes the processor, screen, and some of the other parts of the iPhone. They were shocked and told me it wasn't true until we Googled it. I was told that Samsung made plastic products until I mentioned that the 5c was made out of plastic. One guy was going on and on about "card view" in iOS7 and how it was the best thing he's seen. He even said that Android didn't have that, until I should him recent app view. Then he said the cards were too small and I can't make them bigger on my tablet, so I booted into webOS. After showing him large cards in webOS that are live, can be moved around, stacked, and sling-shot off the screen, he walk away embarrased. I also mentioned that this was on an OS that had been around since 2009. They bragged about how Apple sold 9 million iPhones (5s and 5c combined) in a few days but got upset when I told them that Samsung sold over 100 million smart phones last year (I was wrong, it was really 205 million smartphones out of the 384.6 million phones Samsung sold total. Apple sold 130 million). This was all prompted by a news story on TV about the iPhone and iOS that ended, to their dispare, by saying that Android controlled 80% of the world wide smartphone market and it would be hard for Apple to catch up. Arrogant, dumb, and egg on face all at the same time --end vent--

edit: BTW, I had to show the guy how to activate card view in iOS7 and explain to him some of the features about the OS that he was going on and on about being the best ever. It was the best ever yet he didn't even know how to use it or what new features were added? I don't think that, as an overall group, iOS users are trustworthy, experienced, and unbiased enough to participate in an OS comparison.
    A ripoff? Now, that's just your flawed, incredibly biased opinion.

Set any Samsung smartphone next to the iPhone 5s and the Apple external design wins hands down. The only negative is if you want a larger screen on the iPhone.

I have not seen a 5c in the person. So, I will not comment and make some over the top comment, like your iOS 7 is a rip off comment. But, I'm sure Apple put more thought in the quality of plastic and the fact that the plastic is seamless versus the average Samsung phone.

webOS has good multi-tasking, but it lacked in so many other areas that it's a mute point. It's like buying a car that has an awesome sound system but it burns a quart of oil a month. That sound system doesn't sound all that great anymore, huh?

And out of those 205 million smartphones that Samsung sold, how many of them where in the same price range as the iPhone? Let's not forget that Ford sells more cars than Ferrari and it's not because people want a Ford over a Ferrari.

Android marketshare 80%. How many of those phones:

Cost the same price as the iPhone?
    Use any Google services, which is why Google created Android?
    Are just some cheap knockoff trash from China that costs $99?

You left out a lot of details.

Did you not read the BusinessWeek article where Tim Cook said he was not in the junk smartphone business?

Cook, Ive, and Federighi on the New iPhone and Apple's Once and Future Strategy - Businessweek

I don't think that, as an overall group, iOS users are trustworthy, experienced, and unbiased enough to participate in an OS comparison.
    Wow! As I said earlier, you're incredibly biased. An Apple fan boi or sheeple has nothing on you.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    --vent-- What I hate most about some Apple users is how completely dumb and arrogant they are. .
    Well, now... don't come down on the Apple fanboys too hard. Some folks might think the definition of 'dumb' is tenaciously clinging to a long dead operating system with no new hardware, and no foreseeable usable future beyond deployment on a mediocre television set or being hacked onto hardware it was never intended for, by the few lonely people who cling to it and call the other folks 'dumb'...

To each his own. A fanboy is a fanboy, whatever device or OS he clings to. At least he GOT a new OS to brag about.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    RumoredNow, xandros9 and k4ever like this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I have 2 Pre3s, had a Galaxy S3, have a Galaxy Note 8 and a Nexus 4 and I'm typing this on a BlackBerry Q10 (great dead OS phone, btw). I use linux, win7 and osx daily. I hate Touchwiz but like Cyanogenmod (better than paranoid android).

Still, I'm considering an iPhone 5s now. I've had an ipad2 for a couple years and it just works. Better than my touchpads, better than my androids.

I miss webOS, but...

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by nusome4 View Post
    Let's not forget that Ford sells more cars than Ferrari and it's not because people want a Ford over a Ferrari.
    actually id quite happily take my diesel mkII ford focus over a ferrari, like computers/mobile devices/gaming devices/plenty of other things im not taken in these days by stuff that "looks pretty", im more mr practical.

its also why most of the comptuer games im looking forward soon(tm) are reboots/remakes of games of old i enjoyed because they were actually fun/playable rather than "look nice".

likewise my webOS devices are practical and fun and do nearly all i want.

IOS just infuriates me, yeah its nice and nippy but its too damned annoying to use imho, to use your car analogy, its like going shopping in your shiney ferrari and finding you can fit 1 medium sized shopping bag in the boot and thats it, thats when your ford would come in handy as it typically has tons of boot space.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    actually id quite happily take my diesel mkII ford focus over a ferrari, like computers/mobile devices/gaming devices/plenty of other things im not taken in these days by stuff that "looks pretty", im more mr practical.

its also why most of the comptuer games im looking forward soon(tm) are reboots/remakes of games of old i enjoyed because they were actually fun/playable rather than "look nice".

likewise my webOS devices are practical and fun and do nearly all i want.

IOS just infuriates me, yeah its nice and nippy but its too damned annoying to use imho, to use your car analogy, its like going shopping in your shiney ferrari and finding you can fit 1 medium sized shopping bag in the boot and thats it, thats when your ford would come in handy as it typically has tons of boot space.

There is nothing wrong with you liking your Ford over a Ferrari.

I just don't get it why people keep saying that Android is running over Apple when that is not the case. Apple makes a deliberate decision to not sell cheap products. So, common sense will tell you that a cheaper product is ALWAYS going to outsell significantly more expensive products in MOST cases.

People want to totally look over that and just spew out misinformation. If Apple were selling their iPhone at the Dollar Store and Android was still outselling them with higher prices, THEN, yes Apple is obviously losing. But, that is not whats happening.

If Apple sold the iPhone thru all the carriers in the world, had the manufacturing capacity to meet the immense demand, AND had iPhone models that went from premium to the cheapest of cheap, they would own the smart phone market. BUT, Apple only makes deals with carriers that meets their demands and Apple's number one priority is making the most money, not selling the most products.

That's why I used the Ford versus Ferrari analogy. Ford and Ferrari are going after two totally different types of customers. Apple vs all the cheap Android manufacturers are doing something similar.
    Last edited by nusome4; 09/26/2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    Some folks might think the definition of 'dumb' is tenaciously clinging to a long dead operating system with no new hardware, and no foreseeable usable future beyond deployment on a mediocre television set or being hacked onto hardware it was never intended for, by the few lonely people who cling to it and call the other folks 'dumb'...
    Ha, ha! Can't argue with that.
    A ripoff? Now, that's just your flawed, incredibly biased opinion.

Set any Samsung smartphone next to the iPhone 5s and the Apple external design wins hands down. The only negative is if you want a larger screen on the iPhone.

I have not seen a 5c in the person. So, I will not comment and make some over the top comment, like your iOS 7 is a rip off comment. But, I'm sure Apple put more thought in the quality of plastic and the fact that the plastic is seamless versus the average Samsung phone.

webOS has good multi-tasking, but it lacked in so many other areas that it's a mute point. It's like buying a car that has an awesome sound system but it burns a quart of oil a month. That sound system doesn't sound all that great anymore, huh?

And out of those 205 million smartphones that Samsung sold, how many of them where in the same price range as the iPhone? Let's not forget that Ford sells more cars than Ferrari and it's not because people want a Ford over a Ferrari.

Android marketshare 80%. How many of those phones:

Cost the same price as the iPhone?
    Use any Google services, which is why Google created Android?
    Are just some cheap knockoff trash from China that costs $99?

You left out a lot of details.

Did you not read the BusinessWeek article where Tim Cook said he was not in the junk smartphone business?

Cook, Ive, and Federighi on the New iPhone and Apple's Once and Future Strategy - Businessweek

Wow! As I said earlier, you're incredibly biased. An Apple fan boi or sheeple has nothing on you.
    Touchy, aren't we? For the record I don't hate Apple products even though I think they are too expensive to be so limiting (no flash, no expandable memory, no NFC, walled garden, etc). I just dislike Apple fanatics.

First, the iPhone was the best because it had better technology (iPhone 1 only!). Once all the others caught up and past Apple then it was that the iPhone was the best because it had more apps (even though at the start it only had about 30). Once others caught up now it is the iPhone is the best because it is more expensive? Give me a break! I live in the US where cellphones are subsidized. I can just as easily get an iPhone for the cost of a Galaxy S4 and vice versa. Go to Sprint.com and the new 5s is the same price as a Moto X and Galaxy S4 so that argument is lame at best. Most people don't buy Samsung phones or any other phones because they can't afford the iPhone. They buy them for the bigger screens and the features.

It's also best that iPhone users leave Samsung out of any argument since Samsung makes most of the parts for the iPhone. Apple can't seem to break up the relationship with Samsung. They keep coming back for more. Why? Because Samsung does a good job making the components that Apple needs and the iPhone fans go gaga over but never seem to give Samsung any credit for. Also, if Tim Cook didn't want to sell junk phones why did he take a regular iPhone 5, strip the metal off the back, bathe it in plastic, then call it the "new" iPhone 5c?

Please don't bring up car analogies either. The iPhone is not a Ferrari. It is more like a Lotus (a light car with great suspension and a Toyota engine). How much RAM does the 5s have? How many cores? Are you going to argue that a car with a turbo charged 4 cylinder engine (though practical) is better than one with 8 cylinders or 12 cylinders?

Apple has an excellent ecosystem and great customer service which allows them to charge a lot of money (to carriers) for middle of the line hardware. The only thing compelling, hardware wise, about the 5s is the 64 bit processor (made by Samsung, btw). However, without more than 4GB of RAM, what use is it?
    There is nothing wrong with you liking your Ford over a Ferrari.

I just don't get it why people keep saying that Android is running over Apple when that is not the case. Apple makes a deliberate decision to not sell cheap products. So, common sense will tell you that a cheaper product is ALWAYS going to outsell significantly more expensive products in MOST cases.

People want to totally look over that and just spew out misinformation. If Apple were selling their iPhone at the Dollar Store and Android was still outselling them with higher prices, THEN, yes Apple is obviously losing. But, that is not whats happening.

If Apple sold the iPhone thru all the carriers in the world, had the manufacturing capacity to meet the immense demand, AND had iPhone models that went from premium to the cheapest of cheap, they would own the smart phone market. BUT, Apple only makes deals with carriers that meets their demands and Apple's number one priority is making the most money, not selling the most products.

That's why I used the Ford versus Ferrari analogy. Ford and Ferrari are going after two totally different types of customers. Apple vs all the cheap Android manufacturers are doing something similar.
    "Apple" doesn't make anything. They design their phones but their phones are made in China by the same workers that make the cheapo Android phones. They even share components since China doesn't have good patent laws. I read a story a while back about the actual cost to manufacture an iPhone and an iPad. It was way under $200. The iPhone was cheaper to make than most other phones. Apple was praised (and rightly so) because they made higher profit margins than most other companies. Their stuff is cheaper to make than their competitors but after they sprinkle some fairy dust on it and add the magical Apple logo to the back, they have legions of rabid fans believing the hype that the extra money they pay for the device (for the iPad, carriers foot the bill for the iPhone) somehow makes it better.
    Last edited by k4ever; 09/27/2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
    Some folks might think the definition of 'dumb' is tenaciously clinging to a long dead operating system with no new hardware, and no foreseeable usable future beyond deployment on a mediocre television set or being hacked onto hardware it was never intended for, by the few lonely people who cling to it and call the other folks 'dumb'...

Lol, even an Apple guy comes up with a good one now and then.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Touchy, aren't we? For the record I don't hate Apple products even though I think they are too expensive to be so limiting (no flash, no expandable memory, no NFC, walled garden, etc). I just dislike Apple fanatics.

First, the iPhone was the best because it had better technology (iPhone 1 only!). Once all the others caught up and past Apple then it was that the iPhone was the best because it had more apps (even though at the start it only had about 30). Once others caught up now it is the iPhone is the best because it is more expensive? Give me a break! I live in the US where cellphones are subsidized. I can just as easily get an iPhone for the cost of a Galaxy S4 and vice versa. Go to Sprint.com and the new 5s is the same price as a Moto X and Galaxy S4 so that argument is lame at best. Most people don't buy Samsung phones or any other phones because they can't afford the iPhone. They buy them for the bigger screens and the features.

It's also best that iPhone users leave Samsung out of any argument since Samsung makes most of the parts for the iPhone. Apple can't seem to break up the relationship with Samsung. They keep coming back for more. Why? Because Samsung does a good job making the components that Apple needs and the iPhone fans go gaga over but never seem to give Samsung any credit for. Also, if Tim Cook didn't want to sell junk phones why did he take a regular iPhone 5, strip the metal off the back, bathe it in plastic, then call it the "new" iPhone 5c?

Please don't bring up car analogies either. The iPhone is not a Ferrari. It is more like a Lotus (a light car with great suspension and a Toyota engine). How much RAM does the 5s have? How many cores? Are you going to argue that a car with a turbo charged 4 cylinder engine (though practical) is better than one with 8 cylinders or 12 cylinders?

Apple has an excellent ecosystem and great customer service which allows them to charge a lot of money (to carriers) for middle of the line hardware. The only thing compelling, hardware wise, about the 5s is the 64 bit processor (made by Samsung, btw). However, without more than 4GB of RAM, what use is it?

Flash for all effective purposes is dead on mobile devices.

NFC is going nowhere here in the US as of yet and I see nothing major on the horizon. Even Google seems to be moving away from it.

The Death of the NFC Mobile Wallet?

If the walled garden was bad, I think people would vote with their wallets and customer service surveys and the results say 9 million iPhones sold in 3 days and number one in all around usability for 9 years in a row says consumers like the walled garden.

Oh, and this…

US government says Android is a malware magnet thanks to OS fragmentation | The Verge

79% malware attacks on Android and only 0.7% on the iPhone. Yeah, I think me and most people will takes Apple's walled garden approach.

The iPhone App store started out with 500 NOT 30.

In the rest of the world, a lot of people buy their phones full price. So, in response to your original statement about Samsung outselling the iPhone the price difference that Apple and Samsung sell their phones off contract is valid. Samsung sells a lot of different smartphone models that are cheaper than their top of the line smartphones.

If you only want to talk marketshare in the US. Then Apple is beating Samsung.

comScore Reports July 2013 U.S. Smartphone Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc

Isn't it amazing the factual information you can find on the internet with a simple Google search?

So, since YOU live in the US (I do, too) and want to talk subsidized pricing, Apple beats Samsung in marketshare. So, you were WRONG.

Yes, Samsung makes some parts for the iPhone. They didn't design the A7 processor or the M7 co-processor. The external design, the OS, the ease of use and how everything that just works. That's all Apple. Samsung had nothing to do with any of that. That's the thing that consumers notice and why they like the iPhone.

There is nothing junk about the 5c.

Car analogy was covered in my other post.

What good is the 64 bit processor without more than 4GB of RAM?

AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review

Read all about it. You'll learn a thing or two. Like, why focusing on less than 4GB of RAM for a 64-bit processor is lame.

You said you dislike Apple fanatics. Well, I dislike misinformation. I have shown you a few example that you made just in your one post and provided web links to back them up. Just a hint.
    Last edited by nusome4; 09/27/2013 at 08:11 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast