Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By CHIP72
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By C-Note
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    ...I think webOS will soon have company in the "gone but not forgotten" section of Mobile Nations.
    Rnp and nichtwirklich like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    ...I think webOS will soon have company in the "gone but not forgotten" section of Mobile Nations.
    Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepansy View Post
    Yep
    What was the announcement?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarquis9 View Post
    What was the announcement?
    I don't know of announcement, but there's a WSJ report of massive layoffs coming: WSJ reports big layoffs at BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

This on the heels of their quarterly report: BlackBerry announces preliminary Q2 2014 results | CrackBerry.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry
    • Company expects GAAP net operating loss of approximately $950 million to $995 million...
    • Company to refocus on enterprise and prosumer market, offering end-to-end solutions, including hardware, software and services
    This last point's not great. They really are struggling with the consumer market. Sure their price points on everything including the R10 are helping that.
    Crackberry store seems to be the only one with a Canadian counterpart, hope that isn't affected.
    BB devices are just too expensive. Yes they look nice, BB10 doesn't look bad either. But who's gonna pay a high price for BB hardware when similar Android hardware costs way less?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Rnp and ananimus like this.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    It's really too bad. Was on the Crackberry site last week, and they sound kind of like we did during the days of the 'madness of King Leo'.

Lots of irrational statements about how if Blackberry management can hit the business equivalent of 9 consecutive holes-in-one, they can return to prominence. (Problem is, there is not much of a 'business' market for mobile devices anymore with the ascendency of BYOD)

But since there has been no shutdown announcement, just a withdrawal from the consumer market, massive layoffs, massive financial losses and now a buyout by an erstwhile Messiah... they are in different position. Part HP buyout and part webOS shutdown as it would relate to our experience.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Rnp likes this.
    Well, no suprise but it looks like Blackberry just got sold for 4.7 billion. http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/business/story/1.1864922
    It really is sad, watching another good device die. I haven't read their thoughts, but from being married to a die-hard blackberry user, it was painful to see them:
    1. remove the scroll wheel, the favorite feature for many users
    2. add in the fake scroll wheel click sound, which almost made me come to blows with idiots on two train commutes
    3. miss a release upgrade cycle. Every time one of your users can upgrade, and you don't have a good new phone, you lose them, forever...
    4. tie in their tablet to the phone. yeah, that worked so well with the Palm Foleo
    5. Launch their great new device, this spring, without a keyboard! really? does anyone think any Blackberry user wants to give this up?

I think what hurts the most is seeing Palms mistakes repeated, poorly...

PS - though I picked up a package today, and they scanned it with a Garnet device, with what looked like a Treo keyboard. And last month, at Six Flags, they used a Garnet device to scan my ticket. So PalmOS is still kicking, just down in the mailroom...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    BB devices are just too expensive. Yes they look nice, BB10 doesn't look bad either. But who's gonna pay a high price for BB hardware when similar Android hardware costs way less?

I dont think the price is the problem, the main problem is that consumers and developers don't know what will be with BB in 6 or 12 months.

After today news I think when WebOS runs out I will move to Ubuntu Touch (Phone/Mobile). This day will come, by less and less hardware and by third party API changes.

PS: Why did BB kill the trackpad ... and why did Palm not adopt it???
    Prices have nicely dropped now on the Z10. It was 699 without contract when it came to market here but starting this week it's only 399 without contract. I'd almost buy it but I see little use for it given my current tech stuff so it'll mostly gather dust until I see use for it next year.

If they start getting shuttered on the consumer end, I'll miss their hardware design even if I never owned a BB.
    I didn't like BB devices till Bold 9900. But when I took it in my hand I fell in love. I've ditched Galaxy SII and stayed with Bold for over a year and I'll continue to use it till it dies. After a year of intense usage it looks like new without a scratch.
    Built quality, loudness of its earpiece, intensity of vibration, ringtones loudness, clarity of screen, clarity of white, screen contrast, overall speed, qwerty, smart dialing, speed dialing and fine profile settings are really amazing.
    This device is unmatched by any other device from their own portfolio.
    But 3. party software is terrible. You can feel that devs massively ditched development for BB even for BBOS7