Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TUFF Stough
    Excellent.. now there's a crew that really, actually, DO stuff!
    ~ Including successfully Androiding our Touchpads for us.

Very good luck to them, I say!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Interview with co-founder Steve Kondik in TechCrunch
    With the funding, the startup is building an installer that’s going to make this process dead simple.
    Source

Seems like it will still based on Android.
    Yeah.. way to go::

~~

"..Kondik believes that Cyanogen Mod could be a ‘mobile OS by the users, for the users.’ The company’s build process and relationship with its users resembles how China’s Xiaomi deals with its rabid fanbase in releasing new versions every single week with features the community suggests.

Kondik said that he’d sometimes upload multiple versions of Cyanogen Mod a day to fix bugs. He’d also run into work from his fans. Users would mod his mod, and then even do mods of his mod’s mod.

“It was a lot of fun,”

~~

I like the style!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    This should be worth watching as a signpost for future webOS ventures, but my first and obvious question is, where will the money come from?

If the mod was previously free, will they now charge? If the code is open source, there's nothing to stop some other group from offering a new free version - even based on CM. There is money to be made in open source, but it's usually from enterprise support, installation, customisation etc. Will they direct their own advertising to the phone in place of Google's?

EDIT: Oh, wait, the installer could be a paid app. I wonder how much...

Well, I wish them luck. The webOS situation is different of course - fewer users and until the leap is made to android hardware via libhybris drivers, no new hardware. But I suppose if CM are successful, they could decide (i.e. be persuaded) to broaden their product range with... webOS?

Alternatively, Internals, Ports, PIC could possibly leverage some of the work in their own efforts (drivers, again?), but I'm not clear on the compatibility of (linux-based) Android with (linux-based) webOS.
    I like this..a genuine attempt to democratise the market and give people options and be involved. Like Like Like.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3