Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I guess Google did listen to Derek's rants about the Nexus Qi charger. It looks like the new Nexus 5 uses magnetic for attachment.

    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...d-runs-kitkat/

    PS: anyone knows what the proper name of those, the metallic discs that are in our phones? They don't attract anything so I'm pretty sure they're not magnets.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/13/2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: fixed link
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I guess Google did listen to Derek's rants about the Nexus Qi charger. It looks like the new Nexus 5 uses magnetic for attachment.

    Suspected Nexus device hits the FCC, has 5-inch display and runs KitKat | Ars Technica

    PS: anyone knows what the proper name of those, the metallic discs that are in our phones? They don't attract anything so I'm pretty sure they're not magnets.
    I'd assume that's just mild steel, because stainless is generally non-magnetic
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I guess Google did listen to Derek's rants about the Nexus Qi charger. It looks like the new Nexus 5 uses magnetic for attachment.

    Suspected Nexus device hits the FCC, has 5-inch display and runs KitKat | Ars Technica

    PS: anyone knows what the proper name of those, the metallic discs that are in our phones? They don't attract anything so I'm pretty sure they're not magnets.
    We are getting closer google, now bring on a "mini-pro" with hardware keyboard
  4. #4  
    think our touchstones are magnetic and the bit in our phones is not magnetic itsself but something that does stick to the magnetic touchstone?

    which would make sense as the phone doesnt stick to my car keys etc in my pocket.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    think our touchstones are magnetic and the bit in our phones is not magnetic itsself but something that does stick to the magnetic touchstone?

    which would make sense as the phone doesnt stick to my car keys etc in my pocket.
    If you're curious, you can just Google for it if you like... i did ...there's a teardown of the Touchstone itself and another one of the back cover....

    IIRC, the metal disks that hold the phone centered were just regular metal
    ananimus likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    If you're curious, you can just Google for it if you like... i did ...there's a teardown of the Touchstone itself and another one of the back cover....

    IIRC, the metal disks that hold the phone centered were just regular metal
    Yup, the backplate has magnetic (not magnetized) discs.

    You can also just take one apart yourself and see like... I did.

    Good design for not accidentally having things like car keys stick to your phone or demagging credit cards.

    Seriously not interested in a 5" device though, Google!
    Remy X and Grabber5.0 like this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    We are getting closer google, now bring on a "mini-pro" with hardware keyboard
    You mean a droid 5
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  8. namgod's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #8  
    Since it's not part of the "Qi" specifications, I wonder it the alignment discs are LG's or Google's idea? That will probably be answered when one or the other company releases a magnetic puck. Either way it's a step in the right direction. I'm still waiting for the mobile operating system singularity, when all mobile OSs will work like WebOS.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3
    ananimus and ashi like this.
  9. #9  
    There are DIY projects for various Android devices that can be charged with touchstone. I tore down the Pre touchstone cover the other day so I can convert the back cover for GS4. It's pretty interesting. There are four 1/4" dia x 1/32" (thickness) neodymium magnets on the back cover which gets sucked in by touchstone charger. I ported the magnets over to GS4's back cover and now GS4 sticks to touchstone charger quite well. Stil waiting on the copper tape to arrive to finish the project It's a great feeling to be able to still use touchstone, which is one of the features I loved about my Pre!!!
  10. #10  
    Guys,

    I've posted this a few times and this is something I think will benefit all of you.

    The Palm Pre's Back Cover (The one that is needed for the Touchstone) has 4 metal discs, but THEY ARE NOT MAGNETS). They do, however, attract to magnets. That's why the magnets inside of the Touchstone itself are so perfect and there are a total of 8 that stand up vertically. Two are next to each other every 90 degrees.

    Now to my Nexus 4, which you can see what I did by doing a search, or scroll to the bottom of this post, of voltagerock in the xda forums. I simply took the Pre Touchstone Back cover off so that I had a nice black sticky cover piece without the induction coil. So all it was was the 4 metal discs, and the black sticker and that's it.

    Next, I put a back screen protector on the Nexus 4 and the took the Pre concoction I just described above and aligned on the back of the Nexus 4 so that it stuck to the back screen protector and was in the sweet spot so that it charged when placed on the wireless charger, otherwise it wouldn't stick at all. The back of this phone is so smooth that you can't even use crazy glue! I'm serious. I tried. So that's why the screen protector comes in handy plus if you mess up, you don't ruin your phone and just apply another screen protector.

    I also had to use two pieces of scotch tape to hold the Pre black sticker in place, as it had a tendency to lift up and not stick that great after losing some adhesion when it was removed from the inside of the cover plate. It's not the best looking thing, but it works great.

    Next, I bought rare earth magnets from Radio Shack and aligned them to the Nexus 4 inductive chargers (I have three total (The original Orb charger, and 2 of the LG WCP-300 pucks.)

    Check out the link below for a better understanding:

    [VIDEO] Finally: Thread of my Nexus 4 wireless charging in my car mounted nice. - xda-developers

    Now will all of this said, the Nexus 5 has metal discs inside the back cover, but I can't find any chargers that have magnets built in, so when I buy my N5, I'll just use the induction chargers I used for the N4.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  11. #11  
    hehe they are still not there...

    still impressed how far palm was in some fields
    .. and depressed too.

    ---

    Was written on Pre2 i just took off my touchstone just right angled so one can see the exhibition screen from other side of the room
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    hehe they are still not there...

    still impressed how far palm was in some fields
    .. and depressed too.

    ---

    Was written on Pre2 i just took off my touchstone just right angled so one can see the exhibition screen from other side of the room
    Palm was definitely ahead of its time, but somewhere along the line they lost it. I do miss webos but I'm liking android way more than iOS.

    I still have my touchpad though. I love it!

    Sent using my etch a sketch: Nexus 4
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  13. #13  
    It really doesn't matter now to be honest. I have both the Nexus Charger and both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 works 10 times better on the Nexus wireless charger. The soft touch back (very much like the Pre's) sits perfectly on the wireless charger. No longer do I have to fight to stop it from sliding off and no longer do I have to struggle to find that sweet spot to get it to charge. Our just works. Again, it's no Pre and Touchstone, but it works well enough to not look back.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie4sho View Post
    It really doesn't matter now to be honest. I have both the Nexus Charger and both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 works 10 times better on the Nexus wireless charger. The soft touch back (very much like the Pre's) sits perfectly on the wireless charger. No longer do I have to fight to stop it from sliding off and no longer do I have to struggle to find that sweet spot to get it to charge. Our just works. Again, it's no Pre and Touchstone, but it works well enough to not look back.
    Thanks for the N5 info. I'm going to buy it soon. I'm still wondering what they plan on coming out with as far as an inductive charger that works with the metal discs they put on the inside of the N5.

    Sent using my etch a sketch: Nexus 4
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  15. #15  
    There is an official nexus charger on the way with magnets included.
    Google debuts new wireless charging pad with support for Nexus 5 and 7

    Not sure on release date though.
    The Nexus 5 is the Android device that has finally made me consider the jump to Android. I think 4.4 KitKat has enough webOS-like features to satisfy my needs! Shame about the lack of keyboard though - I've never owned a non-keyboard smartphone :-(
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    There is an official nexus charger on the way with magnets included.
    Google debuts new wireless charging pad with support for Nexus 5 and 7

    Not sure on release date though.
    The Nexus 5 is the Android device that has finally made me consider the jump to Android. I think 4.4 KitKat has enough webOS-like features to satisfy my needs! Shame about the lack of keyboard though - I've never owned a non-keyboard smartphone :-(
    Believe me, coming from the Pre, I too was not thrilled about having a touch screen keyboard, but I am so happy with touchscreen now I can't and wouldn't even want a physical one. With the options of swype to text, regular typing with amazing auto correct, and most important, the ability to record your voice to text with really good accuracy, you will forget about the physical keyboard within a few weeks.

    Sent using my etch a sketch: Nexus 4
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  17. jim1eye's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #17  
    Been using the Touchstone with my Samsung Galaxy 3. Got the backs on e-bay.
  18. jsarino's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    #18  
    I can't seem to find this anywhere, so sorry if this has been asked before. I'm getting a Nexus wireless charger for my Nexus 5 and 7, but can the TouchPad charge on this as well? Is the charging plate (or whatever it's called) sit in the back, or at the bottom of the device?
    Visitor from Android Central
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket--rooted and flashed CM10.1.3 stable (retired)
    HP TouchPad--dual-boot and ported CM10.1 and WebOS
    HTC Nexus One--my first Android (alive and kicking)
    MacBook Pro--guilty pleasure
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I can't seem to find this anywhere, so sorry if this has been asked before. I'm getting a Nexus wireless charger for my Nexus 5 and 7, but can the TouchPad charge on this as well? Is the charging plate (or whatever it's called) sit in the back, or at the bottom of the device?
    None of the webOS devices use Qi (i.e. the standard used by your Nexus charger), so no.

    Rod had to modify his Nexus 4 from Qi to use the Touchstone standard.

    https://plus.google.com/+RodWhitby/posts/4K3J3JAXmwy
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  20. 3snakes's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #20  
    Interesting exploration of Qi vs.Touchstone. But to me, wireless chargers are more toys than genuinely useful. Both Touchstone and Qi chargers cause considerable heating of the phone and battery, so they shorten battery life. Wired chargers don't. The slight extra convenience isn't worth that to me. I still have my Pre-2 and a few Touchstones, and now I have a Nokia DT-900 wireless charger for my LG G2. But to me they're just amusement. I try not to use them often. Also, it's best to avoid fully charging Lithium Ion batteries often. Try to charge to 80% or so and run down to 25% or so. And avoid leaving them on a charger longer than necessary. I slow charge my G2 for just 1 - 3 hours a day, depending on use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy Nexus - Touchstone mod
    By laoh in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11/11/2012, 09:12 AM
  2. Nexus one
    By Jeffmcc in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05/21/2011, 08:23 PM
  3. WTT: T-Mobile Nexus One for AT&T Nexus One
    By mpfef in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07/13/2010, 07:20 PM
  4. Nexus on Sprint. Anyone switching from Pre to Nexus now?
    By MrNolan in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 03/22/2010, 09:40 PM

Posting Permissions