Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  1.    #1  
    Nokia confirms: Patent attacks may continue after Microsoft purchase | Ars Technica

    Having parted with its mobile division, Nokia is planning to use its mobile-related patent portfolio to leech off the more successful mobile device manufacturers.

    Oh how the mighty have fallen... going from spending millions to support open source projects to becoming a patent enforcement "death star" like SCO
    ananimus likes this.
  2. #2  
    well if it works for apple and samsung, why not others

    all boils down to $$/ and if it helps bag them cash, cant really fault them.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    xandros9 likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Nokia confirms: Patent attacks may continue after Microsoft purchase | Ars Technica

    Having parted with its mobile division, Nokia is planning to use its mobile-related patent portfolio to leech off the more successful mobile device manufacturers.

    Oh how the mighty have fallen... going from spending millions to support open source projects to becoming a patent enforcement "death star" like SCO
    Going down kicking and screaming I see...
  4. #4  
    So sad. I'd really rather see Nokia both
    1) Continuing to build out their Asha line. It's pretty neat, but sloppy software due to limping extension from Symbian.
    2) Pushing Microsoft around to make WP8 friendlier to other form factors. Honestly, Nokia had a wildly diverse and amazing portfolio of different hardware. Since going to slab-only WP we've seen nothing but a steady rain of smartphone slabs from Nokia. Kinda lame, but that's all WP will really work with it seems.

    *naively* Maybe they're just saving up for a new push in innovation!
    Remy X likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    well if it works for apple and samsung, why not others

    all boils down to $$/ and if it helps bag them cash, cant really fault them.
    Those guys actually make hardware and are trying to ban each other from sale. A "patent troll" doesn't make anything that requires its patents, and instead goes around suing everyone who uses them... Remember Eolas?
    xandros9 likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Those guys actually make hardware and are trying to ban each other from sale. A "patent troll" doesn't make anything that requires its patents, and instead goes around suing everyone who uses them... Remember Eolas?
    Welllll, technically Nokia's primary business is still hardware too. Ref: above-mentioned army of WP slabs. Only makes sense that they and MS would do everything in their power in their effort to claw up some market share.

    Still, patent wars are "playing dirty." Unless there's something truly revolutionary and commercially unique they're protecting, extreme innovation is the nobler route.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Welllll, technically Nokia's primary business is still hardware too. Ref: above-mentioned army of WP slabs. Only makes sense that they and MS would do everything in their power in their effort to claw up some market share.

    Still, patent wars are "playing dirty." Unless there's something truly revolutionary and commercially unique they're protecting, extreme innovation is the nobler route.
    I agree, but what's left of Nokia now is mostly Navteq and the patents, and then the advanced research lab. Microsoft has taken over the hardware R&D and the software side has been gutted already, so anything Nokia is doing in terms of WP hardware has either moved to Microsoft or is a contract i believe...

    My N900 says "made in China", so it's not like they make the hardware in-house.


    And then, it looks like they kept the Nokia brand too, so that leaves them free to re-enter mobile in x number of years when the non-compete agreement runs out
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Microsoft has taken over the hardware R&D and the software side has been gutted already, so anything Nokia is doing in terms of WP hardware has either moved to Microsoft or is a contract i believe...
    Yeah, just saw the other thread about the new acquisition. Nokia slipping this far out is truly bad news for the future of mobile design. They just never did seem to get the hail Mary pass that combined their hardware prowess with the new modern software paradigm.

    (I'd kill for an E6 running webOS.)
    Remy X likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    well if it works for apple and samsung, why not others

    all boils down to $$/ and if it helps bag them cash, cant really fault them.
    Apple isn't a patent troll, they are just forcing samsung to go steal from a company that doesn't have the power to protect themselves. Like HP/Palm. Or Motorola. S3 was meant to be the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $and$ $the$ $S4$ $looks$ $alot$ $like$ $the$ $Motorola$ $Droid$ $RAZR$ $HD$
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Apple isn't a patent troll, they are just forcing samsung to go steal from a company that doesn't have the power to protect themselves. Like HP/Palm. Or Motorola. S3 was meant to be the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $and$ $the$ $S4$ $looks$ $alot$ $like$ $the$ $Motorola$ $Droid$ $RAZR$ $HD$
    when apple tried to enforce a patent of their "design" vs samsung, one of the things they submitted to secure their design patent was a black and white image of a black rounded cornered rectangle.

    if thats not vague as hell and trolling any manufacturer who has a "rectangular rounded corner device" its damned close.

    i dont think theres any "main evil patent badguy" lots do it tbh, soem are just more public than others depending on the $$/ involved.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    when apple tried to enforce a patent of their "design" vs samsung, one of the things they submitted to secure their design patent was a black and white image of a black rounded cornered rectangle.

    if thats not vague as hell and trolling any manufacturer who has a "rectangular rounded corner device" its damned close.

    i dont think theres any "main evil patent badguy" lots do it tbh, soem are just more public than others depending on the $$/ involved.

    Folklore.org: Macintosh Stories: Round Rects Are Everywhere!
    RumoredNow likes this.
  12. #12  
    Nokia Actually has Navteq/Here division and Nokia Solutions and Networks division. NSN was formally Nokia Siemens Network but Nokia bought the other half of the stake in August. I think that in its self shows that this has been planned for a while.
    I talked to a friend and had him look over Nokia's quarterly reports (he is a CFO of a company) and he said that both of those divisions a profitable. The Device and Services division ate all the cash.

    I think Nokia turn this their way. I hope they become innovative leader that can bolster the Finnish economy
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T


    LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers

Similar Threads

  1. Sick of all the "troll hunters"...
    By SkinFlaps in forum webOSNation.com - Site News, Feedback & Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07/29/2009, 05:34 AM
  2. treo "hollywood", "lennon" & "nitro" geeez
    By mushedroom in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07/14/2006, 02:49 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06/09/2006, 06:06 AM
  4. Aybody tried "Nokia Wireless Boom Headset HS-4W"?
    By sam2579 in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01/01/2005, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions