BBC News - Microsoft to buy Nokia's mobile phone unit

microsuck, good move or dumb?
    nokia, good move or dumb?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    BBC News - Microsoft to buy Nokia's mobile phone unit

microsuck, good move or dumb?
    nokia, good move or dumb?
    I heard this on the radio this morning. What bothered me was what that leaves for Nokia, and the Finnish economy in general.

I used to work for Nokia when they had a telecom's division (distinct from the phones) which they sold to Marconi (and we know where that ended for Marconi). Now they have sold the phones to Mircosoft (could there be a similar story there? Time will tell.) and they stopped doing STBs ages ago so I'm not sure what that leaves for Nokia, back to bicycle tyres?

Since Nokia make up 30% of the economy of Finland I guess that could be a problem too.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Now nokia can start a new device division with WebOS :-P
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    End of an era. I should whip out my E51 in memory Nokia.
    Sad.

Maemo had so much promise, a great UI, and my N900 had the best landscape slider keyboard there is. They definitely had talent at the company. And they totally blew it. The UI of core apps was buggy, no ecosystem to speak of. Smartphones were only an experiment while the bulk of the business had been feature phones. Certain death.

With ex-microsoft executives taking control, i'm not surprised of the sale, or of how they screwed the open source community
    That doesn't sound so good to me.

Nokia has been legendary for camera quality, build quality and top shelf - free for life - maps and navigation.

M$FT has been legendary for one size fits all solutions that are lacking.

I just recently picked up a Nokia Lumia 521 for T-Mo (an exclusive to magenta version of the 520). At $130 for an off contract smart phone it is one of the best values out there. I used it as a GPS/Nav unit when I went on vacation and it was killer in that regard. It's a pretty tight little phone for the money. Kiss that kind of value goodbye...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I heard this on the radio this morning. What bothered me was what that leaves for Nokia, and the Finnish economy in general.

I used to work for Nokia when they had a telecom's division (distinct from the phones) which they sold to Marconi (and we know where that ended for Marconi). Now they have sold the phones to Mircosoft (could there be a similar story there? Time will tell.) and they stopped doing STBs ages ago so I'm not sure what that leaves for Nokia, back to bicycle tyres?

Since Nokia make up 30% of the economy of Finland I guess that could be a problem too.
    This bothered me also...

And Nokia, being European, i felt they had a somewhat unique perspective, and could have been a viable counterweight to American and Asian companies in the mobile industry. This may sound strange, with everything being so global, but it's the little details, UI and design decisions that I'm talking about, the user experience. Just like Apple has theirs..

So it's a definite loss to the diversity of the mobile industry, even before the sale. The loss of the company culture. And a big loss to the open source community. It was painful to watch the company spiral out of control... At least Palm held onto their own projects until the very end, up until the the hardware was all canceled. In a way, Palm still lives... But then, in the same sense, Jolla would be that for the Nokia fans...
    ewl88 and ananimus like this.
    I see a lot of people ragging on it, but think about this. If Elop does become CEO, obviously the mobile thing is going to be his baby. He's got a lot to prove, and now he would have the resources and the deep pockets to do it. We all know where computing in general is going (mobile) and now you have a mobile company CEO as the head of Microsoft. If only Palm had been so lucky... (i.e. that hairbrained ***** Apotheker).

On that note... Microsoft has been stepping up their game lately. The Surface is a gorgeous piece of equipment. The 2nd generation will only be better... haswell... more ram... i7? Keep your dang iPad, i'll take something I can actually use.

Nokia's mind for design + the Money/Userbase that Microsoft (as a whole... not just mobile, before you all castrate me) has = Better success.

That whole "divided we fall, united we stand" idea.

IMHO
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_bone1985 View Post
    Keep your dang iPad, i'll take something I can actually use.
    I'm glad I didn't view this post on my Touchpad. I think it would have bricked.
    ananimus likes this.
  10.    #11  
    the mobile fishpond of big names seems to be slowly shrinking, given enough time i wonder who will be left, im still betting on the cheap china devices surviving the longest and giving the most variety.
    I thought of John Kneeland who went with Palm to HP, left HP at the end to go to Nokia. He must be thinking WTF did I do?

Or he could be happy because he experience with acquisitions!

The Absolute Saddest Business Card In The World | Gizmodo Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I thought of John Kneeland who went with Palm to HP, left HP at the end to go to Nokia. He must be thinking WTF did I do?

Or he could be happy because he experience with acquisitions!

The Absolute Saddest Business Card In The World | Gizmodo Australia
    He's not the only one. Check Josh Marinacci's Twitter this morning...
  13.    #14  
    did make me laugh.....

ananimus and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Good think there isn't any iFanBoi's on this forum... might have gotten my head taken off for that comment. On a side note... I do love the marketing that MS is doing.... those Siri ads and the "Don't Fight" ad's have me cracking up every time I watch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Don't worry, there's always something to crash an iPad

سمَـَّوُوُحخ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ امارتيخ ̷̴̐خ from https://zhovner.com/tmp/killwebkit.html

Read: Rendering bug crashes OS X, iOS apps with string of Arabic characters (Updated) | Ars Technica
    geekpeter likes this.
    There are so many iPad users ticked right now...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Just catching up on today's news. Wow, big stuff!
    I knew there would be a post about this here. If anything, we know what all the Nokia fans are feeling. Let's be sympathetic.
    geekpeter likes this.
    i'm hearing rumours that Microsoft is also interested in buying Blackberry. Makes a lot of sense. Essentially MS would buying a lock on the number 3 maker slot, something that HP and BB had hoped to do for these last few years. MS is desperate for traction. It's too bad they didn't buy Palm all those years ago. WebOS really needed a true heavyweight to come to its rescue.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    WebOS really needed a true heavyweight to come to its rescue.
    WEBOS did get a heavyweight. HP was pretty darn big. It was when Leo came along with his glass balls that things went south.
    geekpeter likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast