Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    i'm hearing rumours that Microsoft is also interested in buying Blackberry. Makes a lot of sense. Essentially MS would buying a lock on the number 3 maker slot, something that HP and BB had hoped to do for these last few years. MS is desperate for traction. It's too bad they didn't buy Palm all those years ago. WebOS really needed a true heavyweight to come to its rescue.
    if they did thats a lot of patent goodness they would envelope themselves in and ofc way more decent mobile experience than they have themselves.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    ...Leo came along with his glass balls that things went south.
    This makes my knees hurt... :barf:
    i'm hearing rumours that Microsoft is also interested in buying Blackberry. Makes a lot of sense. Essentially MS would buying a lock on the number 3 maker slot, something that HP and BB had hoped to do for these last few years. MS is desperate for traction. It's too bad they didn't buy Palm all those years ago. WebOS really needed a true heavyweight to come to its rescue.
    You serious?

Microsoft had been trying to "kill Palm" (their words) on many occasions. WebOS is Linux, so it would have been shut down immediately. But Palm patents would have been valuable in suing everyone.

If Microsoft buys Blackberry, it's for their security-related patents (some of the better crypto algorithms) and the rest of the company will be dissolved
    Why Hewlett-Packard Needs BlackBerry - DailyFinance Well I suppose if Blackberry wants to see new HP branded hardware come out for about 6 weeks and then be canceled they should certainly sell to HP...
    Remy X and geekpeter like this.
    From the Verge article:
    Under the terms of Microsoft's $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia's devices and services division, the "Asha" and "Lumia" trademarks will transfer to Redmond, but the "Nokia" mark will remain property of the Finnish company, and may only be used on featurephones running the basic Series 30 and Series 40 operating systems under a 10-year license agreement. (Nokia itself is barred from using the Nokia brand on any mobile devices at all until December 31st, 2015.)
    Is that right? All WP devices have been branded Lumia. Asha was always an exclusive Nokia/Symbian thing. Yet Microsoft bought the Asha name too? That's absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    You serious?

Microsoft had been trying to "kill Palm" (their words) on many occasions. WebOS is Linux, so it would have been shut down immediately. But Palm patents would have been valuable in suing everyone.
    Was that over Palm ditching Windows Phone? Huh. Well, with hindsight being 20/20, I agree that MS behind Palm and webOS would have been a force. But yeah it may never have been a friendly enough thing to succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Was that over Palm ditching Windows Phone? Huh. Well, with hindsight being 20/20, I agree that MS behind Palm and webOS would have been a force. But yeah it may never have been a friendly enough thing to succeed.
    No, that was before WinMo was even created. Microsoft naïvely thought that WinMo, stuffed full of every feature imaginable could kill PalmOS. They failed, but years later, Palm ended up using WinMo itself and was blown away by Apple, hence the need to develop webOS
    From the Verge article:

Is that right? All WP devices have been branded Lumia. Asha was always an exclusive Nokia/Symbian thing. Yet Microsoft bought the Asha name too? That's absurd.
    All in all, Nokia was pretty smart in the way they managed the sale. They have the name and the patents, the manufacturing is all in China, and we all know how Microsoft kills half the stuff it touches and drives away good engineers... So Nokia should be able to rebuild if they ever decided to, poach some good talent and bring back half of its old software team. Not saying they will do that, but the sale is more like a lizard shedding its tail.. Microsoft isn't necessarily getting the best part.

Not sure they will get European users' loyalty either
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    This bothered me also...

And Nokia, being European, i felt they had a somewhat unique perspective, and could have been a viable counterweight to American and Asian companies in the mobile industry. This may sound strange, with everything being so global, but it's the little details, UI and design decisions that I'm talking about, the user experience. Just like Apple has theirs..

So it's a definite loss to the diversity of the mobile industry, even before the sale. The loss of the company culture. And a big loss to the open source community. It was painful to watch the company spiral out of control... At least Palm held onto their own projects until the very end, up until the the hardware was all canceled. In a way, Palm still lives... But then, in the same sense, Jolla would be that for the Nokia fans...
    Seems like MS has agreed to keep some facilities in finland. Which is good so not to alienate the european customers. I think americans don't get how europeans are proud of their remaining industries since US (silicon valley) has so much world clout. So moving everything to US would be a mistake. It'll be interesting to see if they are successful.
    With google's android software, samsung was able to take on apple in a few short years. That's amazing.
    I hope MS with nokia does well. I want more counterbalance to android which is now caught up to iOS. We'll see what apple has coming out in a few short days.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    Seems like MS has agreed to keep some facilities in finland. Which is good so not to alienate the european customers. I think americans don't get how europeans are proud of their remaining industries since US (silicon valley) has so much world clout. So moving everything to US would be a mistake. It'll be interesting to see if they are successful.
    With google's android software, samsung was able to take on apple in a few short years. That's amazing.
    I hope MS with nokia does well. I want more counterbalance to android which is now caught up to iOS. We'll see what apple has coming out in a few short days.
    It's not about pride here, it's about Finnish labor unions and government regulators. If not for them, Microsoft would have been free to get rid of 80% of Finnish employees, leaving only the ones they truly need.

I however, don't care if this Microsoft effort will sink or swim, because, well.. it's Microsoft. They've been a bad presence in the industry for the past decades, and have a knack for killing what they buy, either intentionally, or through mismanagement. If they screw up again, the world would have a pretty clear idea of what's going on.
    I don't know how I feel, but I think it was a smart move.

As for the Asha phones, I think Microsoft will keep them around (they ship a LOT of units) and retool them a bit to allow for a smooth upgrade to Windows Phone.

As a Nokia fan, I think it's going to end OK, although my chief concern is the Nokia brand itself. (I heard MS is keeping it on license for 10 years?)

I think, or at least hope, can't blame me for hoping, that Microsoft generally leaves Nokia alone and just opens more doors between the two. A lot of Windows Phones' sales are the low-end, cheap Lumias where WP demolishes, so don't worry RumoredNow just yet. At least MS is putting effort into it and not bailing.

I don't really understand the negativity sometimes, is Microsoft's reputation really that bad? Call me a fanboy, but I like the direction they've taken the last couple years.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    As for the Asha phones, I think Microsoft will keep them around (they ship a LOT of units) and retool them a bit to allow for a smooth upgrade to Windows Phone.
    WP8 on the current Asha hardware's a bit optimistic, wouldn't you say?
    Best result possible for Nokia at this stage.

They sold the part that was losing market share and losing money and kept the parts with value (networks, mapping, patents and the Nokia brand). Share market seems to agree, from looking at the impact on the share price of both companies.
    WP8 on the current Asha hardware's a bit optimistic, wouldn't you say?
    of course its a bit optimistic, im saying maybe an appearance change and an easy route to upgrade and get into MS's world of services
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I heard this on the radio this morning. What bothered me was what that leaves for Nokia, and the Finnish economy in general.

I used to work for Nokia when they had a telecom's division (distinct from the phones) which they sold to Marconi (and we know where that ended for Marconi). Now they have sold the phones to Mircosoft (could there be a similar story there? Time will tell.) and they stopped doing STBs ages ago so I'm not sure what that leaves for Nokia, back to bicycle tyres?

Since Nokia make up 30% of the economy of Finland I guess that could be a problem too.
    When I worked at RadioShack, and Nokia made all the RadioShack branded phones (before Nokia decided that CDMA wasn't worth giving Qualcomm royalties to use), we were often told that Nokia was one of the top three manufacturing companies in the world. They had their hands in computer monitors (Old Nokia CRTs were at one time extremely prized possessions), tires (manufactured Goodyear), and more. The press release I read about it now says they are going to concentrate more heavily on telecoms and network infrastructure products, things i had no idea that they did.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    The press release I read about it now says they are going to concentrate more heavily on telecoms and network infrastructure products, things i had no idea that they did.
    It was a joint venture with Siemens but Nokia bought Siemens parts 1 year ago or so
    NSN
    Also Nokia has a huge patents portfolio and makes roughly $ 500 Million/y from IP licensing and one can expect that amount to increase as they said they will be more aggressive on the patents front.
    All in all, Nokia was pretty smart in the way they managed the sale. They have the name and the patents, the manufacturing is all in China, and we all know how Microsoft kills half the stuff it touches and drives away good engineers... So Nokia should be able to rebuild if they ever decided to, poach some good talent and bring back half of its old software team. Not saying they will do that, but the sale is more like a lizard shedding its tail.. Microsoft isn't necessarily getting the best part.

Not sure they will get European users' loyalty either
    No it wouldn't be "so easy" to rebuild and from a business point of view it would be absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    No it wouldn't be "so easy" to rebuild and from a business point of view it would be absurd.
    I was talking technicalities and not plans or whether their board is capable of this. The fact that their non-compete agreement is so short, would allow them to come back into the same industry if they ever had a reason to.

The fact that they kept their brand name shows their lack of confidence in the way MS does business, after all, MS bought and killed off Danger through mismanagement and insanity

But i'm sure we agree on the fact that what Nokia's mobile division had been four years ago has been destroyed, and what was left is the good hardware, which i doubt will continue having the same quality to value ratio under Microsoft's control
    The fact that they kept their brand name shows their lack of confidence in the way MS does business, after all, MS bought and killed off Danger through mismanagement and insanity
    Ridiculous. Why does Nokia give them a license to use the name if they think Ms will ruin it? Why should they give away the company name while they are still doing business? The network part is known as Nokia solutions and network and Nokia is known in telecom why would they abandon that name? What is the benefit for Ms to use a brand associated with another company out of the transition period? The Lumia & Asha brands have been transfered to MS. Ms will be using the Nokia name on features phone not the Lumia line. MS has no interest in using Nokia reference for a long period
    Last edited by Vity Traff; 09/06/2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Ridiculous. Why does Nokia give them a license to use the name if they think Ms will ruin it? Why should they give away the company name while they are still doing business? The network part is known as Nokia solutions and network and Nokia is known in telecom why would they abandon that name? What is the benefit for Ms to use a brand associated with another company out of the transition period? The Lumia & Asha brands have been transfered to MS. Ms will be using the Nokia name on features phone not the Lumia line. MS has no interest in using Nokia reference for a long period

Ridiculous?

Not really. When MS purchased Danger, the company's software was built on top of Linux, and they were ordered to immediately scrap everything and rewrite their UI layer on top of the Windows CE kernel. We all know how much of a disaster the Kin turned out to be, with no app ecosystem, inadequate and overhyped core apps, as well as cheap, plasticky and slow hardware. It was a feature phone with a data plan and no future, dead on arrival.

So it's fair to say that Microsoft killed and mismanaged Danger. It was a total waste, with nobody's talent being put to adequate use.

Why did Nokia license out its name? Because the low end feature phone offerings won't sell without it... (those are a dead-end market with only a few years left). Nokia has a reputation and customer loyalty for its quality hardware, and the name is well known. Microsoft on the other hand doesn't have an impeccable reputation in hardware. It's mostly okay, but not perfect, considering the time they shipped a large lot of Xboxes that all died due to tin whisker. The problem was that they used the cheapest possible RoHS-compliant (lead free) solder, and it didn't have enough silver to keep "whiskers" from forming and shorting out the board. I've also had a cordless Microsoft mouse (laptop sized) that fell three feet and when i picked it up, it was dead, because an AA battery dislodged itself and bounced against an oscillator/crystal and broke it off. My mother had a cordless Microsoft mouse (desktop sized) that made Duracell batteries explode and leak at least a dozen times before she threw it away.

Of course i've gone off on a tangent, but we are talking hardware...

Does Microsoft have the capacity to ruin what they touch? Yes. They've had both good and bad luck in various projects. Good luck was half innovation and half monopoly, but quality came second or third.

Could they be trusted to responsibly use the Nokia name for smartphones the way Google uses Motorola's? (for the record, there's Motorola Mobility, and Motorola Solutions, a pretty similar split). I'd say no. But that's just me.

You may have a different opinion, and that's alright.
    RumoredNow likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12