Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By xortenterprises
  1.    #1  
    Google: Gmail users ?have no legitimate expectation of privacy? ? RT USA

small extract

Code:
    "Google has finally admitted they don't respect privacy," John M. Simpson, Consumer Watchdog's Privacy
    Project director, said in a statement "People should take them at their word; if you care about your email
    correspondents' privacy don't use Gmail." 

“While plaintiffs go to great lengths to portray Google in a sinister light, the complaint actually confirms that
    the automated processes at issue are Google’s ordinary business practices implemented as part of
    providing the free Gmail service to the public. This is fatal to plaintiffs’ claims,”
    Suppose im guilty of never really reading massive TOS/EULA's etc properly or at all, (Human Cent-i-Pad episode from south park anyone?) tho i cant really think of any other 3rd party provider that would be any different tbh, i dont even know if the email you typically get from your ISP would be any different.

----

also a slightly unrelated note but still google specific.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google...-flaws-exposed
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Google: Gmail users ?have no legitimate expectation of privacy? ? RT USA

small extract

Code:
    "Google has finally admitted they don't respect privacy," John M. Simpson, Consumer Watchdog's Privacy
    Project director, said in a statement "People should take them at their word; if you care about your email
    correspondents' privacy don't use Gmail." 

“While plaintiffs go to great lengths to portray Google in a sinister light, the complaint actually confirms that
    the automated processes at issue are Google’s ordinary business practices implemented as part of
    providing the free Gmail service to the public. This is fatal to plaintiffs’ claims,”
    Suppose im guilty of never really reading massive TOS/EULA's etc properly or at all, (Human Cent-i-Pad episode from south park anyone?) tho i cant really think of any other 3rd party provider that would be any different tbh, i dont even know if the email you typically get from your ISP would be any different.

----

also a slightly unrelated note but still google specific.

Google Chrome password security flaws exposed | Know Your Mobile
    It is what it is, but the real bottom line is...whether you use Twitter, Facebook, Google, Hotmail, or WHATEVER service ...it isn't "Private" If THEY want it, THEY will get it and/or already have it. At the very least, they are admitting it, unlike the rest that admit nothing.

If you want privacy...it's pretty private north of the 60th parallel.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Hardly surprising. Google was up-front about this (ad bot mechanism) back in '05, when i first started using the service. And the confused lemmings have only now become aware

Point is, there's no free lunch.
    The quote was totally taken out of context. This was in context to non-gmail users. Poor journalism trying to fan the flames. But I still don't expect privacy

Yes, Gmail users have an expectation of privacy | The Verge
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hardly surprising. Google was up-front about this (ad bot mechanism) back in '05, when i first started using the service. And the confused lemmings have only now become aware

Point is, there's no free lunch.
    i'd imagine the same applies to apps, plenty expect free apps and assume their perfectly "normal", as they dont look or even understand what the popup with permissions actually is or does.

I know several people that never look at that permissions popup and jus click install because its an app they want or an app their friends/family have so they just get it regardless and assume all is well.

And ofc on apple you dont even get the luxury of knowing any permissions, it just does whatever it wants regardless.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    The quote was totally taken out of context. This was in context to non-gmail users. Poor journalism trying to fan the flames. But I still don't expect privacy

Yes, Gmail users have an expectation of privacy | The Verge
    Doesn't this make it worse? People should be responsible for searching the privacy policy of each service provider before sending an email? One would also have to do this each time they send an email including to the same address sent to previously since companies change their privacy policies. Its often impossible to tell what service provider someone uses when email is set up at their domain name. Also, just because everyone does something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I personally hold privacy in high regard. I think its good that people are having these conversations.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    How's that saying go? If you don't pay for the product, you are the product.

Anyone giving you free email is going to use the information therein in whatever way possible to make them money. The only stuff they leave private is the stuff they can't use right now. I don't doubt Google is telling the truth when they say computers are looking at the mail as opposed to people, so no one is sitting in a giant data center snickering at your x-rated chats and orders for hemorrhoid cream.

Still, the email protocol itself is very insecure, regardless of provider (unless you want to go through all the effort of setting up PGP). That's why things like medical records are never sent via email. I'm sure that someone out there is willing to take your money and promise you private email, but they can only do so much.
    Remy X likes this.
    I don't mind google and other companies anonymizing my data and using it to provide a free service. Google can't put me in jail and strip me of my freedoms like the government.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I don't mind google and other companies anonymizing my data and using it to provide a free service. Google can't put me in jail and strip me of my freedoms like the government.
    dont they allow the gov'ts access to that very data tho?
    I don't know if allow is the right word. Forced is more fitting. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind Google using my info for advertising and what not. I have a big problem with the government using it or coercing these companies to give it to them. I do have that expectation of privacy.

It would be nice to see all of these internet companies come together and tell the government no and see what happens. They have leverage now with all the info that's been made public. It's time for them to step up and do what's right.
    No disrespect but thats part naivety. What we are failing to see is the partnerships that these tech companies have been willingly forging with government agencies. Today, a few of the more established ones exist for the purpose of keeping the gov't abreast of the personal and private affairs of the masses, in addition to making a buck (which comes first is irrelevant as its happening as per mutual agreements).

For e.g., consider the role of Inqtel in all of this. What is its main purpose?
    Familiar w/ the term Total Information Awareness?

The point is that its not 'forced'. When caught out there, these companies try to take the pitiful "they-made-us-do-it" way out. Some even volunteer the info; remember Jetblue post-Sept 11? What ever happen to fighting the gov't all the way?

Check out the intricate web that comprises the fB experience:

Do you have a Facebook? | Flash Videos
    or
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    What ever happen to fighting the gov't all the way?
    If you fight the government all the way, you take the chance that it will fight you all the way. We all can think of at least one example of a large corporation bending or breaking the rules and the government doesn't do much about it. Do you not think these companies aren't aware of that?

So lets say then for example then that Google decides to take the gloves off and really fight the NSA. What if the government then takes the gloves off and decides to go after Google as a monopoly along the lines of what Europe does? except they really put some cash and man hours into the case it because they are mad and they want Google to suffer. I bet you they could find somewhere Google is being anti-competitive. If that fails, sick the SEC or the IRS on them. They'll turn up something. Remember the gloves are off.

I don't think it's always a unholy alliance, but a lot of these companies are very aware they set up shop in glass houses, so they will think real hard before throwing rocks at the Feds.