Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have a question. I am frustrated with my Palm pre 2 because the hardware doesn't hold up to my use as well as poor radio signal and poor carrier choice on my part... Many glitches have been plaguing me recently.

    I have NEVER had a problem with connecting / disconnecting headsets but now anytime I go to plug in headphones and then later when I go to receive a phone call my ear speaker wont work, - I have to go to Speakerphone and the phone wont come out of it, you have to glitch it back. my volume button is acting up, unlock is always mushy.
    The screen doesn't like to be touched half the time. Anytime i try to answer a call it can choose to hang up, also if I am in the middle of a call it has hung up from tilting the phone. i have poor network signal as well and it wont hang on to the signal.


    In any case I am thinking of switching over to Straight-talk now that I know it works good enough in this area, better than Sprint atleast.

    Would a Galaxy 2 or 3 compare up to a palm pre? All I need is good web browsing, email client, 1 day battery life because for me the pre's battery didn't ever hold when I needed it to.

    Think I could get away with the cheaper samsung galaxy 2 rather than the latest and greater 3? I wouldn't even consider the 4 because of cost


    Just has been a topic I have been pondering and nobody I know would understand my question, so I ask other webos fans.

    I sure will miss the cards/multitasking because I doubt the android os compares
  2. #2  
    Why not a used Galaxy Nexus?

    They are getting less expensive. Dual Core CPU, 1 GB RAM, NFC, 21 mbps HDSPA speed or even LTE if that option works for your carrier/region. You won't have to put up with a skin (TouchWiz) and it's updatable to the latest Android 4.3, at least for the GSM unlocked variants.

    There is even a Sprint variant if you wanted to keep your current plan - although it is topped out at 4.2.1 right now....


    It would give you options if you chose one of the GSM models.

    Ubuntu Touch will definitely be supported on first consumer release for this device.

    No promises, but WebOS Ports is targeting this for Open webOS and that still may come to fruition.


    Here is the line up of variants: Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X and xandros9 like this.
  3.    #3  
    Very good idea.

    I would be looking at the i9250 and the mini-sim from straight-talk.

    which carrier would it run through s-t then?at&t?tmob?
    Do they roam at all then?

    $250 seems to be the going rate for a gsm nexus :\ All the phones range from $200-300

    btw if I order one from Hong Kong is it going to be counterfeit/clone? Any complaints?
    Last edited by kozanatos; 08/10/2013 at 03:51 PM.
  4. #4  
    if i were you id just get a nexus 4. it will work on straight talk and would be a heck of an upgrade for a cheap price.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kozanatos View Post
    Very good idea.

    I would be looking at the i9250 and the mini-sim from straight-talk.

    which carrier would it run through s-t then?at&t?tmob?
    Do they roam at all then?

    $250 seems to be the going rate for a gsm nexus :\ All the phones range from $200-300

    btw if I order one from Hong Kong is it going to be counterfeit/clone? Any complaints?
    If you are going to put it on Straight Talk I'd recommend the I9250M - The only difference in the two is that the M does not have LTE which you would never get on ST, so why pay a premium for that feature? Either GSM GNex is carrier unlocked from the factory. I've just looked on eBay and saw a couple of used I9250Ms that looked pretty good and are less than $200. If you want BNIB that always costs more. Remember, because of first Android update and longer update service life, Nexus devices retain value better than other devices.

    Straight Talk is back to offering AT&T SIMS again (they hadn't been able to for the last 7-8 months) and still do have T-Mobile SIMs as well. The I9250 or the I9250M both have the proper frequencies on board to get H+ through either AT&T or T-Mo towers so any ST SIM will work for you. T-Mo usually has less traffic congestion than AT&T in any given area and therefor gives a better actual speed. BUT, T-Mo also has more areas out in the country where they only have EDGE speed... There is no roaming charge on ST and you should be able to connect anywhere you have signal. ST actually has agreements with all the major networks.

    I don't have any info about Hong Kong sellers. Sorry.


    Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    if i were you id just get a nexus 4. it will work on straight talk and would be a heck of an upgrade for a cheap price.
    That is true... It's a lot of hardware for the $. But it eliminates the hope of Open webOS for the foreseeable future as it is not a current target for WebOS Ports.

    It would run Ubuntu Touch when that releases to consumers...

    LG Nexus 4 E960 - Full phone specifications
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    If you are going to put it on Straight Talk I'd recommend the I9250M - The only difference in the two is that the M does not have LTE which you would never get on ST, so why pay a premium for that feature? Either GSM GNex is carrier unlocked from the factory. I've just looked on eBay and saw a couple of used I9250Ms that looked pretty good and are less than $200. If you want BNIB that always costs more. Remember, because of first Android update and longer update service life, Nexus devices retain value better than other devices.

    Straight Talk is back to offering AT&T SIMS again (they hadn't been able to for the last 7-8 months) and still do have T-Mobile SIMs as well. The I9250 or the I9250M both have the proper frequencies on board to get H+ through either AT&T or T-Mo towers so any ST SIM will work for you. T-Mo usually has less traffic congestion than AT&T in any given area and therefor gives a better actual speed. BUT, T-Mo also has more areas out in the country where they only have EDGE speed... There is no roaming charge on ST and you should be able to connect anywhere you have signal. ST actually has agreements with all the major networks.

    I don't have any info about Hong Kong sellers. Sorry.




    That is true... It's a lot of hardware for the $. But it eliminates the hope of Open webOS for the foreseeable future as it is not a current target for WebOS Ports.

    It would run Ubuntu Touch when that releases to consumers...

    LG Nexus 4 E960 - Full phone specifications
    I think If the Galaxy Nexus Port is ready for prime time, then the next port is not so far away.
    So i would prefer the nexus 4
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by siggi_digital View Post
    I think If the Galaxy Nexus Port is ready for prime time, then the next port is not so far away.
    So i would prefer the nexus 4
    Except...

    Internals and Ports make no promises...

    ...and...

    They might want some down time after the Herculean effort of getting OwOS ready for GNex.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Except...

    Internals and Ports make no promises...

    ...and...

    They might want some down time after the Herculean effort of getting OwOS ready for GNex.
    The hardest work is for the first Device
    Look at Ubuntu Touch, they started with Galaxy Nexus and the other ports are much easier to accomplish.
    Because you can use the base from the first port.
  9.    #9  
    I disliked the expandability of the nexus 4, the upgrades in that were there were not worth the $50 extra it would cost. imo - LG is bleh ;| to begin with

    I just wish I knew if at&t /tmob worked out where I live better than verizon, nothing can be worse than sprint though, eah?
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Except...

    Internals and Ports make no promises...

    ...and...

    They might want some down time after the Herculean effort of getting OwOS ready for GNex.
    Is OwOS now available for GNex?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Is OwOS now available for GNex?
    An Alpha 2 version was released about a month ago. Lots of progress was made on the graphics acceleration front...

    New WebOS-Ports Video

    It's not ready for prime time, but there is a definite improvement.

    Galaxy Nexus - WebOS-Ports
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  12. #12  


    (to proper forum)
    RumoredNow likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I expected this much sooner... You getting busier - or maybe just older.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  14. #14  
    Both
  15.    #15  
    I was hoping since the galaxy s4 came out prices would be going down... same with the nexus...


    Oah well
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kozanatos View Post
    I was hoping since the galaxy s4 came out prices would be going down... same with the nexus...


    Oah well
    Google Play dropped the price on Nexus 4 by $100.

    8GB is only $199 and the 16GB is $249. IMHO it is waaaay better than the Galaxy series.

    https://play.google.com/store/device...s_4_16gb&hl=en
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  17.    #17  
    Wow, that really is a good option considering the pricing and the new hardware.

    Any opinion on durability of the phone for yourself Rumored? I need something a little rugged, I've never broken a screen but I don't baby phones either.

    Buying from a Google webstore is definitely a plus.

    Thanks Rumored for reminding me of this and the pricing change info!
    Last edited by kozanatos; 09/04/2013 at 11:43 PM.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kozanatos View Post
    Wow, that really is a good option considering the pricing and the new hardware.

    Any opinion on durability of the phone for yourself Rumored? I need something a little rugged, I've never broken a screen but I don't baby phones either.

    Buying from a Google webstore is definitely a plus.

    Thanks Rumored for reminding me of this and the pricing change info!

    It's like any device - treat it well and that's the best policy. I only have one minor drop with mine and it was in a case... Not a blemish on the phone so far...

    With 42 mbps data speed (H+), quad core 1.5 GHz CPU and 2 GB RAM, plus NFC and barometer complimenting the usual sensor arrays; you can't really go wrong for the price.

    Deficits: No expandable memory, battery is sealed in the unit and the camera is generally considered weak by those who like pro quality shooters on their phones. (Rebuttal: 16 GB is plenty of storage for me, I'm pretty easy on batteries and the camera is fine for what it is - a phone first.)

    The glass back on the phone adds rigidity to the device in a way that plastic can not, but is susceptible to blows in a way that plastic is not...

    The thing feels solid in my hand. As a piece of hardware, I'm quite enamored with it.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  19.    #19  
    Sounds reasonable - a Case would be the smart thing to do...

    Does the phone create excess heat?
    How is battery life for you?


    :P
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kozanatos View Post
    Sounds reasonable - a Case would be the smart thing to do...

    Does the phone create excess heat?
    How is battery life for you?


    :P
    There is a tendency for the glass back to get warm if used heavily. I've never noticed it being hot, just warm. I think the glass is supposed to help dissipate heat. Some power users say it gets too hot.

    The battery is good. I'm usually pretty easy on battery. I do run the phone with GPS and Location Services always on, screen at max with auto-dim. I have a custom kernel that has been tweaked a bit so that helps... On par with what you're used to with a Pre 2 I would imagine.

    Check out the N4 forum over at AC for many more people's opinions...
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/


    P.S.: Indications are they are selling fast at these prices... You may not want to take much longer to decide. They are clearing out stock before the Nexus 5 (name and exact maker/specs still pending) gets announced.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09/06/2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added P.S.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Time to move on?
    By siggi_digital in forum Open webOS General Discussion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 09/15/2013, 10:57 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08/26/2009, 04:44 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08/26/2009, 02:45 PM
  4. Time to Move on from Palm Treos
    By gibby in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 11/27/2008, 12:33 AM
  5. Time to move on
    By Godot in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12/10/1999, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions