Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 3 Post By fxspec06
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  1. #2  
    Actually this looks to be a SuperPhone... But the buy-in is pretty steep...

    Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo


    There is talk some lower levels might be added in to get the phone for your pledge. They are at $6.78 million currently out of the $32 million they want - 26 days left. Notice the top tiers? $10,000 gets you one of the limited edition, first 50 phones off the assembly line which will be numbered (4 taken thus far). $80,000 gets you an enterprise bundle of 100 phones plus a special support package (0 sold yet, but watch for someone from the recently formed Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group to step up and get the ball rolling there).

    What will it do for $700+ ???


    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLe3iIMN7k[/YT]


    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNhlVn3ETQ[/YT]


    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYM7tCjp0Go[/YT]
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
  2.    #3  
    Hey, Thanks for the link, RumoredNow

    That's one beautiful device they are selling, something i haven't had a chance to look at before starting this thread. Hopefully they'll start showing up on eBay (or better yet, Amazon) two or three years from now... though i can't quite imagine carrying something like this as a daily driver, being used to the replaceability (and low cost) of a Pre+, HP Mini netbook and a small mid-'90s car. I like nice things, but couldn't be bothered to use anything that's a thief magnet like this..
  3. #4  
    If it can successfully do what other devices cant do then it may be worth it, i think pretty much all the "top" mobile devices have apps and can act a "bit" like a desktop but to me they all feel like a last minute tacked on affair, never as good as they should be, for example physical keyboard support on several devices work only for basic stuff and its often left to individual apps to provide "desktop-alike" functions/features.

    if this ubuntu device can manage to act mobile when needed and like a proper desktop when needed then it end up being a good mobile phone as well as handy desktop/laptop replacement, i mean its got hdmi out so should be a pretty powerful plug and play device.

    I hope it stays as open as proper linux desktops are and not a fenced in appstore affair, windows/microsoft could have been that provider but your forced to aquire "mobile" versions of stuff we already have.

    I think ill watch how it pans out, could be another useful device to aquire, cant really justify it atm, ive bought quite a lot recently
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    fxspec06 likes this.
  4. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    If it can successfully do what other devices cant do then it may be worth it, i think pretty much all the "top" mobile devices have apps and can act a "bit" like a desktop but to me they all feel like a last minute tacked on affair, never as good as they should be
    My biggest problem with current OS's in a nutshell; also the biggest reason why I still think webOS even in its current form is ahead of the competition. swipe up offers hands down best multitasking, so easy fluid natural etc; reminds me of using a desktop.

    Using a mobile OS should never feel like "work"
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

    Remy X, geekpeter and xandros9 like this.
  5. #6  
    I'd just like to chip in the obvious question...

    Given webOS-Ports are using Ubuntu drivers to port to Nexus, will the edge be open enough to run webOS?

    It's certainly a juicy, if expensive bit of hardware. Possibly the dual boot would still work with webOS instead of Android.
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    I'd just like to chip in the obvious question...

    Given webOS-Ports are using Ubuntu drivers to port to Nexus, will the edge be open enough to run webOS?

    It's certainly a juicy, if expensive bit of hardware. Possibly the dual boot would still work with webOS instead of Android.
    It's not quite like that, at least from my (limited) understanding... Ports isn't using "Ubuntu Touch drivers," per se, so much as UT and several other efforts (including WebOS Ports) are advancing an open source system that allows tapping into Android drivers for hardware based dependencies...

    At $700+ and a very limited production run, plus the fact it will dual boot already - I'd be highly surprised if the Edge phone was targeted for porting of any kind. The target would only be about 40,000 devices.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
  7. #8  
    if they do well, perhaps it could lead to more from the ubuntu team at a later date, if anything id expect if openwebos could be stuffed into that phone id guess someone will probably try just because they can.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    It's not quite like that, at least from my (limited) understanding... Ports isn't using "Ubuntu Touch drivers," per se, so much as UT and several other efforts (including WebOS Ports) are advancing an open source system that allows tapping into Android drivers for hardware based dependencies...

    [...]
    Correct.

    Android is "open" to manufacturers who have signed up to use it, and a very large amount of it is available in open source form, but for anyone else to jump in and start tinkering with it, it becomes much more closed and trickier to work with... because some stuff is proprietary and you either don't have the rights to modify, or the source isn't even available (i.e. kernel source for a particular device with "holes" that make it impossible to compile and install the kernel... HTC, i'm looking at you)

    So Jolla and Canonical, as well as lesser-funded efforts like webOS Ports and a few "open Android" type projects are all collaborating on making it possible to take most "off the shelf" Android hardware and replace the OEM ROM with something that the manufacturer didn't intend...

    That means leaving OEM firmware and drivers "as is", but reverse-engineering, rewriting and fine-tuning the parts that interact with the drivers, such as the graphics compositor or the modem-related code, two areas where most of the difficulty is found...
    geekpeter likes this.
  9. #10  
    BBC News - Ubuntu sets crowdfund pledge record for Edge smartphone

    looks a bit grim with the days they have left, not a bad read on the whole crowd funding route they took as well.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  10. #11  
    Sadly, it doesn't seem as if the Edge will get it's funding... Although they set some records they are well short of the $32 million asked for. It stands at $10.88 million with only 5 days to go.

    Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

    Note that the pledge needed to receive a phone if the project gets funded is now $695 and 3,196 people have done so.

    Feeling Bold? Pledge $7000 and if the phone gets built you would receive 10 of them - that's one for you and 9 to bid out on eBay.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Sadly, it doesn't seem as if the Edge will get it's funding... Although they set some records they are well short of the $32 million asked for. It stands at $10.88 million with only 5 days to go.

    Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

    Note that the pledge needed to receive a phone if the project gets funded is now $695 and 3,196 people have done so.

    Feeling Bold? Pledge $7000 and if the phone gets built you would receive 10 of them - that's one for you and 9 to bid out on eBay.
    Yeah...

    Looks like time's up. I wonder what they'll do next...

    I do wish they had some stores and some VC backing them, because i'd love to have one of those but they are far outside my current budget this year...
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yeah...

    Looks like time's up. I wonder what they'll do next...

    I do wish they had some stores and some VC backing them, because i'd love to have one of those but they are far outside my current budget this year...
    Bloomberg (the business, not the man) made the one and only $80,000 Enterprise Package pledge... I would have thought some of the wireless partners on the Carrier Advisory Group would have pitched in at that level...

    I was doing some reading and found that Canonical top dog Shuttleworth has a net worth of about 1/2 a billion. I think if it was just a couple million short he'd make up the difference, but not more than half. The guy is a sort of wide eyed evangelist and a bit eccentric. I just don't think he's crazy enough to pay $21,000,000 for a phone.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee

Similar Threads

  1. [Patch] Add Move & Mark Unread Buttons
    By sara.ramli in forum webOS Patches
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10/15/2011, 07:06 AM
  2. Q&A with Pocket Informant Founder
    By patrickj in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/24/2006, 03:37 AM
  3. Missing Mark/Space Contacts & Calendar Conduit
    By foundation74 in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03/28/2006, 07:33 AM
  4. Missing Mark/Space Contacts & Calendar Conduit
    By foundation74 in forum North American Carriers (CDMA)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/27/2006, 10:39 AM
  5. Edge.StarTAC, Edge Hotsync and Edge cable upgrades.
    By nysebull in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06/16/2001, 08:15 AM

Posting Permissions