Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes
  1.    #1  
    As an early adopter of WebOS it pains me to say it, but at this point I simply can't see any viable way going forward for WebOS to get back in the game at any level. When it came out, WebOS was WAY ahead of iOS and Android in many areas. It was such a smooth, intuitive UI and the multitasking was it's hallmark feature. But, now, the best aspects of WebOS have been picked off by others and integrated into far superior hardware. With the intro of iOS 7 this past week, with a familiar cards layout for multitasking (and even swiping gestures!), I believe WebOS has met it's demise.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    While my Pre3 and TP are still working, there is no demise in my household.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    While my Pre3 and TP are still working, there is no demise in my household.
    i got 2 spare touchpads now, so far my lucks held out with 1 pre3 so far, wonder if i may need 1 as backup, dont wanna jinx myself.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Jimbode, laingman, Rnp and 2 others like this.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Still haven't found that killer app for any tablet device so not too bothered about the TP. Don't think I could live without my Pre 3 (History: Z22, Treo 680 x 2, Pre- x 2, Pre 2, Pre 3 since December). Keep thinking I should hunt down a backup Pre 3, though I did find myself looking at a BB Q10 the other day. It's very close to a Treo 680 though, I might be tasking too many steps backwards.
    No need to state the obvious.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Yeah, this pre2 of mine keeps ticking and its making me forget to get buy a second backup fore they all gone. Damit!!!

Really tho, many of the features have been copied sorta, but the original remains the best
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Who knows.. maybe this latest round of imitation will cause people to take another look at the originator of all these nifty features...

A guy can dream can't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Who knows.. maybe this latest round of imitation will cause people to take another look at the originator of all these nifty features...

A guy can dream can't he?
    Well... I can safely tell you all you'll get is people coming to ask you "what's that phone, your iPhone looks weird", or "what version of Android is that". Although before this it's most commonly being mistaken as a BlackBerry.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well... I can safely tell you all you'll get is people coming to ask you "what's that phone, your iPhone looks weird", or "what version of Android is that". Although before this it's most commonly being mistaken as a BlackBerry.
    yeah i think this is it, because of the keyboards most would think we have a weird BB phone.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    As an early adopter of WebOS it pains me to say it, but at this point I simply can't see any viable way going forward for WebOS to get back in the game at any level. When it came out, WebOS was WAY ahead of iOS and Android in many areas. It was such a smooth, intuitive UI and the multitasking was it's hallmark feature. But, now, the best aspects of WebOS have been picked off by others and integrated into far superior hardware. With the intro of iOS 7 this past week, with a familiar cards layout for multitasking (and even swiping gestures!), I believe WebOS has met it's demise.
    What is your point in trying to discourage the hobbyists (esp. those tinkering with the open source variant, to eventually make it usable for every day) ??!

If your goal is to convert us all to another OS, you've failed before you even started. We are here for the long haul
    Rnp, Jimbode, MikeN68 and 4 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    As an early adopter of WebOS it pains me to say it, but at this point I simply can't see any viable way going forward for WebOS to get back in the game at any level. ..... I believe WebOS has met it's demise.
    My Pappy used to say to me ... "if ya ain't got something good to say ... stfu. "
    Well maybe not quite that way.

Signed
    An Optimist
    Who's in no need of pessimism .... cause enough of that sh!t is going around these days.

And apologies to YankmychainBoy
    Remy X, Rnp and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Yeah, this pre2 of mine keeps ticking and its making me forget to get buy a second backup fore they all gone. Damit!!!

Really tho, many of the features have been copied sorta, but the original remains the best
    Laingman, you still carrying a palm pre 2 phone, just that I'm amazed you still have that phone as a daily driver.....I thought you had moved unto another OS.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Laingman, you still carrying a palm pre 2 phone, just that I'm amazed you still have that phone as a daily driver.....I thought you had moved unto another OS.
    You know of a reason why I should have switched?
    this post should be in the "no sh*t sherlock" category.

Saying that, you can call it whatever you like there will always be a core group continuing to use it. And I'm proud to be one of that core group.

3 Touchpads, 2 x Veer (daily driver) 1 x Pre3 1 x Pre
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    You know of a reason why I should have switched?
    I was simply making a comment since most users have moved into other OSes like blackberry 10/windows 8/iOS/Android and not only into another new platform but much newer hardware that a pre 2.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I mostly get the reaction of, "Is that the Blackberry Torch?" whenever I use my Pre 3 with my friends. I am just scared that they may toy with the phone, breaking the ringer switch by pressing it, pushing down on the gesture area and swiping everywhere
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I was simply making a comment since most users have moved into other OSes like blackberry 10/windows 8/iOS/Android and not only into another new platform but much newer hardware that a pre 2.
    I haven't moved on to other hardware. i still have a pre 2, and if if breaks, I'll probably buy another one. I'm sure there will be plenty of them on ebay or amazon for a long time.

If I was doing carrier subsidized phones, i suppose I would have no choice but to move on, but I don't.
    "no future"?

Please, change the title... I was thinking that there was some fact here...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Sadly, due to ridiculously stupid, short sighted decisions by both Palm (for selling to HP in the first place) and HP (by essentially killing the only other serious competitor to iOS and Android), the OP is right - WebOS is essentially dead.

It will live on as a hobbyist's OS, tinkered with by those who like trying a novel OS and tenaciously clung to by the devoted few who will change only when there's no more old WebOS hardware to buy.

But it'll never be a contender again. Which saddens me, of course, as I was as devoted a fan to WebOS as their ever was. Nothing would make me happier than to see it re-emerge someday, but in the world of mobile devices, if you're absent from the party, the party passes you by.

RIP, WebOS. You deserved far, far better than the hand you were dealt...
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    The reality is that it's impossible to know what LG has planned for WebOS outside of smart TVs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast