Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree98Likes
    <thread title updated to reflect content of post(s)>
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    While my Pre3 and TP are still working, there is no demise in my household.
    Amen.
    I have moved to an iPhone 4.
    Yeah I guess I like iOS, but strangely, I find myself using my old Pixi Plus about 60% of the time and use my new Sprint iPhone 4 about only 40% of the time. I am going to ask my parents for a Sprint Pre on my birthday next month and ditch the iPhone 4. I don't care too much about apps, and I can overclock my Pre to 1ghz and I'd be perfectly okay with that. I love and adore webOS. I don't know what it is, something about it makes it so much better than the other OSes in my opinion. Yeah, Andriod and iOS have stolen webOS ideas, but lets face it, they are just half *** attempts and they still can't get multitasking right, and make it feel natural the way webOS does.
    Remy X, TJs11thPre and xandros9 like this.
    Hey, why don't you try building yourself a FrankenPre with a Pre2 and a Sprint comm board... way faster, with a better supported version of webOS... much better than an old Pre- by itself
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hey, why don't you try building yourself a FrankenPre with a Pre2 and a Sprint comm board... way faster, with a better supported version of webOS... much better than an old Pre- by itself
    I agree. Pre2 very good phone
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/22/2013 at 07:45 PM.
    Agreed.

-- Sent (ironically) from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06/24/2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    WE will decide when webOS is dead; when WE all move on to another OS. Which clearly ain't happnin' soon. And LG will decide webOS' future, which we will wait patiently to unfold; and optimistically too, since it's finally out of HP's two left hands.
    Heck, yes. And I'll be proud to say that I was one of the first persons to use a TV-operating system on a mobile phone... way before everyone will do that and it becomes the next great hype.

Let's say it this way: webOS has still some living. LG spending money on it definitely means something, although we don't clearly now what (apart from the official plans to put it in TVs). But no matter what LG does, the current user base and app ecosystem is slowly dying and will be nearly vanished, before anything big and new and fancy will happen. That just how it is. There is no realistic way that a new webOS phone or tablet will be released in the next two years. And by that time most of the current webOS users will have moved on.

Maybe that even is a good thing. Because currently it looks like there will be a big cut in the complete ecosystem anyway. For example open webos does not support mojo. So all the mojo apps you know on your phone won't work on open webos devices. Yes. That's it. From the 3rd party apps I use on a daily basis only two are enyo (and at least one is enyo 1.0 that expects enyo to be somewhere in a system path. Don't know if that is the case for open webos, might be fixable). That is the reason, why Preware got a rewrite... and quite a lot of system apps, too. Then there are no sync connectors in open webos and stuff... so, even if open webos was fully functional on a Galaxy Nexus right now, there would be a lot missing and still to be done.

I will stay here and try to do some of the stuff, no question. But I can't blame anyone that just wants to use a smartphone to look elsewhere when their webOS device ceases functioning (or a new contract is coming or something...). Not everybody loves to dig into their mobile OS, like I do.
    I think the other thing to keep in mind is the report coming out that there are fears the smartphone market is getting saturated here in the developed world. Samsung just took a tumble in their share price because they didn't hit their target. Openwebos would be a great choice for phones designed for the developing world but only if the pace of development can speed up. These countries would be a bit of a blank slate. Nokia used to do great in countries like India and eastern europe, in fact up until recently it was their bread and butter. Maybe this will be LG's strategy?
    I used to cling to my Pre 2 for life, but finally switched to the Galaxy S4 and I will not go back. It works light years better, is much faster and I can't believe how stubborn I was about sticking with my Pre 2. My wife and kids still have 2 Veers and a Pre Plus and are mad at me for making them get WebOS phones. They want mine. Try the S4, it isn't going to kill you.
    Palm III>Palm IIIC>Treo 650>Treo 750>Palm Pre>TouchPad & Pre 2 Galaxy S4 & iPad 4 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
    I used to cling to my Pre 2 for life, but finally switched to the Galaxy S4 and I will not go back. It works light years better, is much faster and I can't believe how stubborn I was about sticking with my Pre 2. My wife and kids still have 2 Veers and a Pre Plus and are mad at me for making them get WebOS phones. They want mine. [...]
    Time to set aside a $1,000 for replacement screens ...unless you guys are on contract (with $5/mo insurance).

[...]Try the S4, it isn't going to kill you.
    Unless you end up using two hands to operate it while driving, in which case it probably will

To each their own, i'm glad you've found something you like.
    Last edited by Remy X; 07/05/2013 at 10:14 PM.
    Jimbode likes this.
    I used to cling to my Pre 2 for life, but finally switched to the Galaxy S4 and I will not go back. It works light years better, is much faster and I can't believe how stubborn I was about sticking with my Pre 2. My wife and kids still have 2 Veers and a Pre Plus and are mad at me for making them get WebOS phones. They want mine. Try the S4, it isn't going to kill you.
    I have used plenty of S3 and S4. I dont like any of them, and I especially don't like the white ones. I have never held a phone in my life that wants to fall out of my hands like those things. Not too bad with a case but I like my phones naked. Good for you tho
    Remy X likes this.
    Same here. I hate the way they feel. Plus I don't like the colors on the screen. But obviously plenty of people do like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Same here. I hate the way they feel. Plus I don't like the colors on the screen. But obviously plenty of people do like them.
    Agreed. AMOLED is kind of acquired taste... Very vivid indoors (like an old CRT TV) and washed-out in direct sunlight...
    Nexus 4... Killer price... Schmexy look... Great spec... HD IPS screen needs some tweaks via custom kernel, but then it looks very sweet... No BLOAT.

TouchWiz really, really turns me off.

If you've got to have a flagship class phone - go with the Google Edition HTC One or Galaxy S4.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X likes this.
    <thread moved as it is no longer a webOS thread>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123