Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
Like Tree98Likes
  1. #21  
    probably won't happen
    love to have a quality camera in a webOS phone
    have a backup phone for my Veer, which remains my daily driver
    HP's blunder will be studied in business schools for many years
    hard to imagine a greater fiasco
    khazoury likes this.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    probably won't happen
    love to have a quality camera in a webOS phone
    have a backup phone for my Veer, which remains my daily driver
    HP's blunder will be studied in business schools for many years
    hard to imagine a greater fiasco
    The Story of Commodore: A Company on the Edge: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Bagnall: Books

    happened before on a larger scale, no1 learned from that, probably wont now.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3. #23  
    There's always Open webOS. However, just because it isn't on new hardware doesn't make it useless. A few mobile examples:

    -Palm OS. I use my T|X still everyday, because no other OS has come close to the functionality of DateBk6, other PIMs, and more importantly, note taking via a stylus. The Galaxy note may come close since Pimlical is on it, but Android still can't replace it completely. Plus, Graffiti shortcuts is nicer than say typing or text prediction.
    -Symbian. Nokia shot themselves in the foot, by following Palm's innovation model (which was later followed by RIM). That is, if you have something successful, stop investing time in innovation. However, Nokia did invest in great hardware, so while the OS may be a little outdated for things like web browsing, only recently have phones come out that finally best the 2010 N8. Even if web browsing it out-dated, unlike webOS, Symbian does have Opera which helps tremendously.
  4. #24  
    I really thought there'd be some facts mentioned here as well. And I will agree that while the OP is "technically," correct, this was the wrong place to post something like that. This just sounds like the budding seeds of an up-and-coming Apple fanboy. Disappointing.
    Remy X and jrb363 like this.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I was simply making a comment since most users have moved into other OSes like blackberry 10/windows 8/iOS/Android and not only into another new platform but much newer hardware that a pre 2.
    Ok, it's a compliment, Thanks. I am lucky I guess in that I don't have any special needs that would force me to leave webos at this time. It's way too much fun to give up now. The way I see it if I moved, I would loose more than I would gain
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/18/2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
  6. #26  
    had to use my beat up pre - this weekend while I waited for a replacement nexus. Still works.
  7. #27  
    I'll give you my Veer...when you pry it from my cold dead hands! Can't stand my wife's iPhone or my kids' ipods. And don't get me started on iTunes. That POS is the worst garbage ever! Took me forever to get music from my wife's old ipod Nano to her new iphone. Just the pits! Still wish i'd bought a touchpad during the firesale but the wife got me an ipad. After several months i'm surprised at how boring it is. I never feel that way about my Veer. Never!
  8. #28  
    My wife and I are still happy with our Pre3's and TouchPads. Kids are learning to use smartphones on the old Pre-.
    I see pandas.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    What is your point in trying to discourage the hobbyists (esp. those tinkering with the open source variant, to eventually make it usable for every day) ??!

    If your goal is to convert us all to another OS, you've failed before you even started. We are here for the long haul
    My point is just what I said. Although I've been forced to switch to another OS, I've always maintained hope that the genius of WebOS would finally be appreciated and we would see it's revival. But with the release of iOS 7 you've got the best parts of WebOS and best parts of iOS (multitasking, swiping to easily access bluetooth, etc). Even if LG decided to do something hardware-wise with WebOS on a smartphone, they'd basically have to go back to the drawing board. All of what made WebOS unique has now been copied by others.

    If you care to check to my credentials, you can scan my older posts and see that I avidly supported WebOS (even making financial contributions to WebOS internals). The only reason I switched to iOS is that the US Navy moved us to Japan and there was no support for my Pre 2 here. At nearly double your number of posts, I have a much stronger track record as a WebOS supporter.

    So there.

    (As a side note, when I return to the US for a few weeks this summer, I will be having my VZW number temporarily reactivated and use my Pre 2 while I'm there)
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    [...]simply can't see any viable way going forward for WebOS to get back in the game at any level [...]
    Perhaps you're just being emotional, but this sounds like complete disregard for what webOS Ports is doing, along with a half dozen other unaffiliated developers working on making Open webOS available for us to use. You're basically dismissing their work, saying it's not worth the bother, that webOS won't even exist at a hobbyist level, that they are wasting their time and it's time to quit, for everybody.

    And when you say that webOS is dead, you're also dismissing LG, with their multi-million dollar SmartTV project. Do you think they've paid so much for the rights to the whole OS, just to ax the project? I doubt it.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    My point is just what I said.
    Alright.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Although I've been forced to switch to another OS, I've always maintained hope that the genius of WebOS would finally be appreciated and we would see it's revival. But with the release of iOS 7 you've got the best parts of WebOS and best parts of iOS (multitasking, swiping to easily access bluetooth, etc). Even if LG decided to do something hardware-wise with WebOS on a smartphone, they'd basically have to go back to the drawing board. All of what made WebOS unique has now been copied by others.
    Copied, yes. But it's piecemeal and poorly implemented. Four and half years late. Revolutionary

    The point is, everyone has to catch up eventually, even those as stubborn as Apple. Just as Windows, Mac and various flavors of Linux now all have graphical UI apps and a mouse, even though they have all started out quite different.

    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    If you care to check to my credentials, you can scan my older posts and see that I avidly supported WebOS (even making financial contributions to WebOS internals). The only reason I switched to iOS is that the US Navy moved us to Japan and there was no support for my Pre 2 here. At nearly double your number of posts, I have a much stronger track record as a WebOS supporter.

    So there.

    (As a side note, when I return to the US for a few weeks this summer, I will be having my VZW number temporarily reactivated and use my Pre 2 while I'm there)
    Apples to oranges....

    You:
    Total Posts: 1,334
    Posts Per Day: 1.14
    Join Date: 04/01/2010

    Me:
    Total Posts: 735
    Posts Per Day: 3.11
    Join Date: 10/24/2012

    I've had my VZW Pre+ since it launched in April '10, and the Touchpad since the firesale, but i've only been on the forums like what, six months...

    Oh, and thank you for your service
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    If you care to check to my credentials, you can scan my older posts and see that I avidly supported WebOS (even making financial contributions to WebOS internals). The only reason I switched to iOS is that the US Navy moved us to Japan and there was no support for my Pre 2 here. At nearly double your number of posts, I have a much stronger track record as a WebOS supporter.

    So there.
    Um.. yeah... please don't use the "I've been here longer and have more posts than you" argument. It doesn't work that way. Check my credentials if you feel differently. It's great that you supported webOS, and have found another phone you like. But your OP is simply an opinion post. There are lots and lots of people who are 'enthusiasts' who will argue that opinion. I've still got my Pre2 and use my Pre3 daily. I also have an HTC One as my daily work phone. Yes it is more advanced hardware, but my Pre3 (and even the Pre2) still beats Android for smoothness and UI. I won't even get into iOS... but yes, the new iOS7 was a smart jump in grabbing the ideas that were kicking your hind end and incorporating them (at some level) into your own OS. This doesn't mean webOS is done. It may be relegated to the enthusiast category for a while, but unless you have some special power to see the future, no one can ever call it 'game over'
    Remy X, eKeith, Rnp and 2 others like this.
  12. #32  
    webOS is dead.. may be. I'll still keep my devices running. I bought a Galaxy Nexus last year to try and tinker with open webOS. That still is not ready to do much useful. So I tried Android from time to time on that device and must say, that this experience REALLY convinced me to keep my webOS devices as long as somehow possible...

    Some Android grumbling, which is a bit OT, if you want to read, go ahead. Otherwise skip it:There are some nice apps in Android land... but must of the apps that I thought might be nice to have are utterly ****. Even most of the other apps I tried are either pure rip offs or betraying you... the right management does not make much sense, because every second app wants to have access to all of your stuff... and you can either say "yes, do it" or "no I won't install."... there are ways to remove the rights after install, yes... but that often only makes the apps crash.
    Many of the apps do crash all the time anyways... that's much more common on Android than on webOS. In fact apps do seldom really crash on webOS which is nice and we should appreciate that. Really. That's a great plus you don't see, because you got used to it.
    Of course multitasking is pure pain in Android. It is exactly as painful as I remember it to be from my days in windows mobile. The poor try to steal the multitasking in 4.something did not work out... it improves nothing, really.... So the most prominent alternative is no alternative for me... then what? Move to another upcoming platform with uncertain future (FirefoxOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone)? Or give up every right on my hardware and my data, i.e. iOS?


    I'll stay here in webOS land till my last webOS device ceases function... even if I need to start carrying around a dump phone for telephony (does not work yet on open webos )... Maybe having me still here is the best argument that webOs really is dead.... I did keep my Amiga long after Comodore died... even after the second or third death of the company I still had the Amiga running on a daily basis. Also I was on Windows Mobile when Microsoft did shoot it and so on... my tech live is like a long history of great tech that died away while I was actively using and enjoining it more than all the alternatives the market had to offer. I'm still puzzled by that, but I start to believe that I'm just not mainstream enough for this world.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjensen71 View Post
    [u]I'll give you my Veer...[/]uwhen you pry it from my cold dead hands! Can't stand my wife's iPhone or my kids' ipods. And don't get me started on iTunes. That POS is the worst garbage ever! Took me forever to get music from my wife's old ipod Nano to her new iphone. Just the pits! Still wish i'd bought a touchpad during the firesale but the wife got me an ipad. After several months i'm surprised at how boring it is. I never feel that way about my Veer. Never!
    If you give me a Veer, I can kill the webOS too!!


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  14. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    ...
    -Palm OS. I use my T|X still everyday, because no other OS has come close to the functionality of DateBk6, other PIMs, and more importantly, note taking via a stylus. The Galaxy note may come close since Pimlical is on it, but Android still can't replace it completely. Plus, Graffiti shortcuts is nicer than say typing or text prediction...
    I still have my fully functional Treo 680 but don't use it anymore. Sadly my T3 died; Gave away my Treo 650 and Palm III...

    I now use both my Pre3 and Galaxy Nexus daily...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/18/2013 at 09:32 AM.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  15. #35  
    I'm so upset that someone would come here and post a bait thread about webOS being dead...

    Y A W N !!

    nothing to see here guys...
    Remy X likes this.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    I use my T|X still everyday,
    You sir, I salute you - should you ever need a replacement display, i might have something for you if i can find it
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  17. #37  
    I used to the Veer and the TP an Psion with the OS Epoc32, too.
    Do you like this OS is more used as Webos?

    The Psion is very functional until today
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Um.. yeah... please don't use the "I've been here longer and have more posts than you" argument. It doesn't work that way. Check my credentials if you feel differently. It's great that you supported webOS, and have found another phone you like. But your OP is simply an opinion post. There are lots and lots of people who are 'enthusiasts' who will argue that opinion. I've still got my Pre2 and use my Pre3 daily. I also have an HTC One as my daily work phone. Yes it is more advanced hardware, but my Pre3 (and even the Pre2) still beats Android for smoothness and UI. I won't even get into iOS... but yes, the new iOS7 was a smart jump in grabbing the ideas that were kicking your hind end and incorporating them (at some level) into your own OS. This doesn't mean webOS is done. It may be relegated to the enthusiast category for a while, but unless you have some special power to see the future, no one can ever call it 'game over'
    Well, if you'd read my previous post fully you'd have noticed that I switched from WebOS only because it's not supported in Japan. Certainly not my fault. If I still lived in the States, I'd still be using my Pre 2 and enjoying it but I don't, so I can't.

    I don't think I ever said WebOS is "dead" but you can check me on that. What I said is there no real way for it to go forward in the market. Is it nice to keep the theoretical idea that WebOS could somehow make a splash? Sure. We'd all love that. Is it realistic in any way? No. I never said that everyone who owns a WebOS device should go throw them in the river and by an Android or iPhone tomorrow. Yet, that's what the bulk of the replies suggest.

    All I said, and it was frankly a statment of the glaringly obvious, is that WebOS has no future in the smartphone market. I was there on Day 1. I was there for the HP/Leo Apotheker debacle. I was there for the start of open sourcing. And I've been holding out hope all along that sometime in the next couple of years somehting big would happen with WebOS, but it's simply not reasonable to believe that anymore. I love WebOS. It's better than Android. It's better than iOS. I assume it's better than Windows mobile. But it's virtually unsupported.

    And even if LG deciced to do something with WebOS, they're going to face the same issue as WebOS faced the first time around: paltry app catalog. Like it or not, people like having a big app catalog. For the average Joe on the street that'st their measure of a good phone. "How many apps can I get".

    In any event, the OP was really me just putting into writing what I felt I had to say to acknowledge the obvious.

    <mod edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/19/2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: unnecessary comment about another member
  19. #39  
    YB,

    Once upon time, a search site launched a mobile SO that everybody told "have no future in smartphone market"...

    Fatalism is a personal opinion... but; until your title be edited, was giving the idea that something more was happening...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Remy X likes this.
  20. #40  
    i was avoiding this thread, because I hate jumping into a pool that i know someone has pee'd in...

    but out of boredom i read it, and what i've gathered is that the OP is trying to nullify his disappointment that he can't use a webOS phone any longer (due to his locale); so he chooses to make an overzealous and fatalistic thread title like 'NO FUTURE FOR WEBOS'.

    this kind of comment is remarkably short-sighted, particularly when there's no factual basis to make such a comment.

    here's what i mean. you've heard of the Corvette right? remember when they stopped making them in 1980? anyone who said the Corvette was dead in '81 was obviously eating crow when they came back out.

    wait, let me take it a step further: remember the '73 Boss Mustang with 351? Remember when the Pinto-based Mustang II came out in '74 and it was an ultra turd? anyone who said the Mustang was dead then, was probably removing foot from mouth when the 5.0 GT came out in the early 80s.

    my point is, unless you work for LG, who just forked out considerable cash to buy webOS rights from HP, YOU DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT ITS FUTURE, and shouldn't make negative assumptions to try to conceal your pouting.

    AND YOU CERTAINLY SHOULDN'T do it on the one website remaining that supports the OS.

    What's the matter with you? Would you throw firecrackers into the middle of a crowd of shell-shocked vets to see them jump as well?

    If you want to wallow in your sorrows, looking for others (like whoever 'thanked' your OP) to share the tears in your beers, YOU'RE LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE.

    webOS is CERTAINLY NOT "DEAD", as long as people like myself are using it as a 'daily driver', and as long as they're still pulling down SIGNIFICANT COIN on fleabay, even for used ones.

    And, it most certainly is not "dead", in that my Pre2 functions as a fully-capable Smartphone: i have multiple email accounts linked, multiple IM accts linked, I browse the web, I download music, pdfs, and ringtones. I'm also using it as my only source of home internet, with the FreeTether app. It's saving me money right now as I type this, and was able to say 'see ya!' to Commie-cast.

    it may not be the fastest, or the biggest, but it meets my needs more than adequately. and I COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT THE SIZE OF ITS 'APP CATALOG', which sounds like some sort of phallic deficiency syndrome. Because my phone isn't a toy. it's a MULTI-MEDIA COMMUNICATION DEVICE, and it does that very well. There's plenty of APPS on Preware right now.

    it's not how big your app catalog is, it's how you use it. interesting how similarly that applies...

    heck, there's PLENTY of people still using 'dumbphones'. they're not "dead" either. and some people have LANDLINE home phones. i haven't in over 15 years, but they're certainly not "dead", and i'm sure they'll both be available in the future for quite some time. (is the PULSE ROTARY PHONE DEAD? yeah, that probably is.)

    So go YANK someone else's chain, in some other forum, if you just want to stir up misery.

    This site is still in use by the OPTIMISTIC; those who appreciate the core of webOS simplicity and intuition that's been there from day ONE.

    WE will decide when webOS is dead; when WE all move on to another OS. Which clearly ain't happnin' soon. And LG will decide webOS' future, which we will wait patiently to unfold; and optimistically too, since it's finally out of HP's two left hands.

    IMHO.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/19/2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: app catalog. app catalog. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WebOS and Meego OS = Sad
    By astraith in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10/11/2011, 11:45 PM
  2. So sad. HP licensing of WebOS, NOT for phones/tablets
    By 6tr6tr in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07/08/2011, 12:04 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06/23/2011, 10:51 AM
  4. The sad state of WebOS and support in Canada.
    By Jeeoredan in forum North American Carriers (CDMA)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10/03/2010, 07:38 AM
  5. WebOS and how the future plays a part in it: i.e. Preware, WebOS QI, etc.
    By voltageROCK in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06/02/2010, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions