Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By khazoury
  • 3 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By khazoury
  • 1 Post By khazoury
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    My second Sprint Pre2 wouldn't charge anymore and I couldn't wait to make a new one so I got an S3. How horrible Android really is! Shouldn't the learning curve on these phones be short?

I had all my email accounts and my calendars in webOS and it worked flawlessly. Very clean, simple, and accessible. Tried to set up the same accounts in android to find out yahoo accounts can't be set up. And all my email folders don't show for non google or exchange accounts.

Switching between programs is such a pain, is this really multitasking? And what's with all these ads?!

I want a simple setup, is this possible in android? And the auto correct sucks! Maybe I should go to Verizon or at&t so I can use a pre 3? This is so frustrating!. Maybe I should go to iOS?

If anyone can help with this transition, I would surely appreciate it. I don't see how anyone can easily use android. Webos was so intuitive I was spoiled. Wish drivers were available to flash open webOS on anything!
    Remy X, geekpeter, Rnp and 2 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    My second Sprint Pre2 wouldn't charge anymore and I couldn't wait to make a new one so I got an S3. How horrible Android really is! Shouldn't the learning curve on these phones be short?

I had all my email accounts and my calendars in webOS and it worked flawlessly. Very clean, simple, and accessible. Tried to set up the same accounts in android to find out yahoo accounts can't be set up. And all my email folders don't show for non google or exchange accounts.

Switching between programs is such a pain, is this really multitasking? And what's with all these ads?!

I want a simple setup, is this possible in android? And the auto correct sucks! Maybe I should go to Verizon or at&t so I can use a pre 3? This is so frustrating!. Maybe I should go to iOS?

If anyone can help with this transition, I would surely appreciate it. I don't see how anyone can easily use android. Webos was so intuitive I was spoiled. Wish drivers were available to flash open webOS on anything!
    i TOTALLY SYMPATHIZE with you!!

everyone i know has an android phone. (no one i know would buy an apple anything. not saying apple is bad; i just am not acquainted with that class of people, haha)

and they all know how to use each other's phones. anytime i touch one, i can't get it to do a thing! what are they on now, jellybean? J is like what the 8th letter? so that's 8 versions and it's STILL not as user-friendly as webOS???

well, at least you have 'all those apps'! zzz good luck adjusting. you're probably doing the practical thing; but i do understand what you're feeling. hang in there.
    tried using a newer android phone for a week instead of my pre3, its back to being relegated to a poor mans game toy and television, were probably just spoiled by what we see as normal, such as being able to operate the entire phone with 1 hand/finger effortlessly then rage all over when it feels like your wearing ovengloves when trying to operate an android phone the same way.

like others i cant comment on the fruity phones, i only have an ipad3, never tried or even seen someone with an iphone, as mentioned in the post(s) above i only seem to know people with android phones and ive seen the odd BB phone.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Remy X, TJs11thPre and Rnp like this.
    A huge problem for people switching to Android is all the OEM skinning. TouchWiz is one of the heaviest skins. My GF has it on her Galaxy S II and it drives me nuts anytime she asks me to do something with her phone. Add in Sprint bloatware and you've got a real mess.

By contrast, I've found the unskinned experience on the Nexus much nicer. I'd suggest finding an uncomplicated AOSP based ROM to flash.

Here's a good place to start: http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ng-roms-hacks/
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    what we see as normal, such as being able to operate the entire phone with 1 hand/finger effortlessly
    exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    A huge problem for people switching to Android is all the OEM skinning. TouchWiz is one of the heaviest skins. My GF has it on her Galaxy S II and it drives me nuts anytime she asks me to do something with her phone. Add in Sprint bloatware and you've got a real mess.

By contrast, I've found the unskinned experience on the Nexus much nicer. I'd suggest finding an uncomplicated AOSP based ROM to flash.

Here's a good place to start: http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ng-roms-hacks/
    Ah, Android skins. Can't live with them, can't live without them. Let's face the fact, the skins serve two purposes:

1. Make Android more usable and less ugly
    2. Brand recognition

Skins started out as a way to make Android look pretty. Default Android just looks plain but ugly. You need to download different icons and themes to make it palatable. Its a definite turn-off for new users. Most folks don't spend that much time customizing their phone. Enter the skin. I think HTC did it first. They were known for skinning their Windows Mobile phones to make them stand out. So they started skinning their Android phones also.

Pretty soon skins became a way of branding the phones. The vast majority of Android phones look exactly alike. They are usually 4-4.3 inch black/white candy bar slabs. The placement of the buttons may be slightly different, but if you removed the logos it would be hard to tell who made the phone. Enter the skin. Now you can tell whether a phone is made by Samsung, Motorola, or HTC by the skin.

The problem with skins is that they don't play well with others. Manufacturers want you to purchase their widgets/apps. They don't care to spend the time to ensure that the skin looks good with or even works with all the other widgets and apps out there. I had to disable Sense on my old EVO 3D because the built in email animation thingy didn't work with my preferred email app. I got rid of Blur on my Photon for similar reasons.

At least everything in webOS plays nice with everything else. To the OP, good luck! After I broke the power button on my 3rd Pre, I bought the Photon. Plus I needed a world phone (I would love to have an ATT Pre anything right now. It would probably work better than Android on GSM). I miss the Pre. Someone here told me I would forget about it soon and embrace (accept) Android. I can't stand how Android works. Period. I would much rather have webOS. But what can you do? HP wimped out and stopped making phones, LG has the remaining webOS folks locked up in a basement somewhere making webOS fit on TVs or they don't eat, and Open webOS doesn't have app support or even support for CDMA. Stuck with Android or iOS...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    tried using a newer android phone for a week instead of my pre3, its back to being relegated to a poor mans game toy and television, were probably just spoiled by what we see as normal, such as being able to operate the entire phone with 1 hand/finger effortlessly then rage all over when it feels like your wearing ovengloves when trying to operate an android phone the same way.

like others i cant comment on the fruity phones, i only have an ipad3, never tried or even seen someone with an iphone, as mentioned in the post(s) above i only seem to know people with android phones and ive seen the odd BB phone.
    I so agree, it's a good for games & tv. For Synergy & business, it's horrible! Goes to show you what is really important to the public.
    Remy X likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Ah, Android skins. Can't live with them, can't live without them. Let's face the fact, the skins serve two purposes:

1. Make Android more usable and less ugly
    2. Brand recognition

Skins started out as a way to make Android look pretty. Default Android just looks plain but ugly. You need to download different icons and themes to make it palatable. Its a definite turn-off for new users. Most folks don't spend that much time customizing their phone. Enter the skin. I think HTC did it first. They were known for skinning their Windows Mobile phones to make them stand out. So they started skinning their Android phones also.

Pretty soon skins became a way of branding the phones. The vast majority of Android phones look exactly alike. They are usually 4-4.3 inch black/white candy bar slabs. The placement of the buttons may be slightly different, but if you removed the logos it would be hard to tell who made the phone. Enter the skin. Now you can tell whether a phone is made by Samsung, Motorola, or HTC by the skin.

The problem with skins is that they don't play well with others. Manufacturers want you to purchase their widgets/apps. They don't care to spend the time to ensure that the skin looks good with or even works with all the other widgets and apps out there. I had to disable Sense on my old EVO 3D because the built in email animation thingy didn't work with my preferred email app. I got rid of Blur on my Photon for similar reasons.

At least everything in webOS plays nice with everything else. To the OP, good luck! After I broke the power button on my 3rd Pre, I bought the Photon. Plus I needed a world phone (I would love to have an ATT Pre anything right now. It would probably work better than Android on GSM). I miss the Pre. Someone here told me I would forget about it soon and embrace (accept) Android. I can't stand how Android works. Period. I would much rather have webOS. But what can you do? HP wimped out and stopped making phones, LG has the remaining webOS folks locked up in a basement somewhere making webOS fit on TVs or they don't eat, and Open webOS doesn't have app support or even support for CDMA. Stuck with Android or iOS...
    There's a webOS skin, but then I'll be frustrated that it only looks like my old phone, but not behave like it.

So you all think iOS 7 is something worth waiting for?
    paisley99 likes this.
  9.    #9  
    I see what you mean. Thought I had a nice skin till I realized it wouldnt allow the security screen for my pin to turn on!

Another reason I hate android /iOS, Pandora isn't free, I have to endure commercials! Not so in webOS! And no apps for Yahoo's calendar in android???
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

Thanks, will look into this.
    It's funny, I get more help here than on androidcentral!!!
    For your auto correct issues, I suggest trying out the 30 day trial of SwiftKey. I bought it after the trial ended, it is eerily accurate, and only gets better with more use.

The quick rundown on flashing an S3 is here:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...galaxy-s3.html

Make sure all your drivers are installed on your PC, you can confirm this when you install the Kies software.
    Download and install Odin 3.07.
    Put your phone in recovery mode (restart phone and hold Power+Vol+Up, let go when you see the small blue words appear at top of phone, this may take a couple of tries, as you have to be quick letting go)
    Your best source of ROMs are located at xda developers. Personally, I use Team Venum Wicked Sensations (TouchWiz based) but if you are looking for something non-TouchWiz, try Paranoid Android, or JellyBam.

Just a couple of ideas to get you started, there are a lot to choose from.

It is also quite easy to remove root access, and remove the trip flash counter, should you ever want to return your device to a stock factory condition. You would just have to re-flash your phone with a factory image, and use "Triangle Away", which you can pay for in Google Play, or get for free (legitimately) from xda.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Remy X likes this.

I recommend Verizon. The have really good coverage where i live in NY, and in FL too.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    There's a webOS skin, but then I'll be frustrated that it only looks like my old phone, but not behave like it.

So you all think iOS 7 is something worth waiting for?
    Most definently

I agree, the unbloated android is nice, but so is motorola's motoblur. I've been using a droid 3 for the past 2 weeks and its a decent experience after tweaking everything to the way you like it

And finally, I, after using an iPhone up until last year, Definitely would recommend an iPhone over ANY android phone, because android is crap. Face it. (Except for Galaxy/Nexus/One/S/4
    Last edited by boovish; 06/20/2013 at 09:16 AM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Well, I prefer my Preł over any Android and; yet, I can say that my Galaxy Note II is a very good device...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Most definently

I agree, the unbloated android is nice, but so is motorola's motoblur. I've been using a droid 3 for the past 2 weeks and its a decent experience after tweaking everything to the way you like it

And finally, I, after using an iPhone up until last year, Definitely would recommend an iPhone over ANY android phone, because android is crap. Face it. (Except for Galaxy/Nexus/One/S/4
    Good argument, but that's your opinion. I'm guessing by your exceptions, that you think Gingerbread is crap.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  16.    #16  
    thanks, might try those time and will wait and see how iOS7 turns out. Bye bye webOS, at least I have my Touchpad, simple, yet elegant.

Can't HP at least provide webOS drivers for their Slate products? We'll do the rest!