Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Finally Apple gathered enough guts to copy webOS and prove webOS had better UI of all OSes.

I am waiting for response from Apple iSheeps who said gestures were difficult to learn and cards were inefficient.
    Please, don't give ideas...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Finally Apple gathered enough guts to copy webOS and prove webOS had better UI of all OSes.

I am waiting for response from Apple iSheeps who said gestures were difficult to learn and cards were inefficient.
    You beat me to the punch. I was going to post something similar. Let's recap the iExcuses and iBacktracking:

iOS gets released with:
    -no cut and paste. iExcuse is who would want to edit documents on such a small screen? Incidentally the iPhone screen stayed the same size through four iterations. When cut and paste was finally added, iBacktracking is that Apple somehow made it better.
    -no multitasking. iExcuse is that it takes up too much battery power and who needs to run more than one app on such a small screen. When multitasking was finally added, iBacktracking is that Apple's implementation was simplified (it sucked).
    -no apps (when compared to Windows Mobile 6 and BBOS at the time). iExcuse is that there is an app for what most people need (Apple made a successful add campaign out of it), besides we have a proximity sensor, gyroscope and compass (yeah!). When Apple started to add more and more apps, having more apps than everyone else became the new standard for the iBacktrackers and newer platform were suddenly judge more harshly then Apple was judged for not having a lot of apps on release. Seriously the original iPhone had about 20 apps on release. It didn't even have an office suite and it was supposed to be a smartphone. It makes me sick to my stomach today that tech "journalist" judge whether or not a platform will be successful based on the number of apps it has at release instead of innovation and ease of use.

Later iterations of iOS:
    -no unified notifications/notifications take over screen. iExcuse is that the notification need to take over the screen so I won't somehow miss them. A very poor excuse. Apple still hasn't gotten this right.
    -no unified accounts management (Synergy). iExcuse is "What's that? Must not be that important anyway if the number one mobile OS doesn't have it". Waiting for the iBacktrack when Apple finally fully implements this.
    -no live wallpapers (Android). iExcuse is that they use up too much battery power (guess you got to really worry about that since you can't remove and replace the battery on your phone like everyone else). Love to hear the iBacktracking on this one.
    -better multitasking (card view, swipe gestures). iExcuse is that it was too difficult to learn (complete B.S.). Yeah like tapping and holding the home button to bring up recent app icons (really?), then trying to tap the X while they jiggled around on the screen was any easier? Why over task the one button they have on the device? Didn't they learn their lesson with the one button mouse? They can't iBacktrack on this one. How many times have you seen the Apple apologetic tech "journalists" mention webOS since this was revealed? I guess that is a nod to us that it was worth copying all along.

Did Apple do anything innovative with iOS7? They thinned out the font and made the icons flatter. Then proceeded to poorly copy things that are already implement in other OSes. The lock screen looks bland. The card view looks like a poorly made Android hack. The pop-up settings screen is ugly. Apple is becoming more and more like Microsoft every day. First they ignore other technology out there and convince their customers that the technology doesn't matter. Then they implement a poor version of the same technology into newer versions of their products and somehow convince their customers that they were the first to do it "right". Next they will sue the original makers of the technology, move their company to Washington state, and the transformation will be complete.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    You beat me to the punch. I was going to post something similar. Let's recap the iExcuses and iBacktracking:

Did Apple do anything innovative with iOS7? They thinned out the font and made the icons flatter. Then proceeded to poorly copy things that are already implement in other OSes. The lock screen looks bland. The card view looks like a poorly made Android hack. The pop-up settings screen is ugly. Apple is becoming more and more like Microsoft every day. First they ignore other technology out there and convince their customers that the technology doesn't matter. Then they implement a poor version of the same technology into newer versions of their products and somehow convince their customers that they were the first to do it "right". Next they will sue the original makers of the technology, move their company to Washington state, and the transformation will be complete.

Good to see you still out there and still sharp!

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Good to see you still out there and still sharp!

C
    Thanks! I still get a little time in between dodging rockets and sheer boredom to pelt a few out.

Geez, why does everyone hate Apple? Sure iOS 7 looks like a god awful mix of WP8 and a children's android tablet design, but when you use it, its ok. If you can get past that god awful design. Also I think Samsung is paying Tim Cook to destroy Apple
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    chalx likes this.
    Wow I had forgotten how much I hate the UI update until I watched your video. Ouch those are some awful looking icons! I hope it gets some tweaking before it hits my phone...
    Remy X likes this.
    I don't own an iPhone but I find the "hate" amusing and childlike.

The iPhone hit the market 2 years before WebOS. It grew up based on what needed to be improved.

WebOS on the other hand hit the market in 2009 and the Pre, Pixi and the pluses never were upgraded above OS 1.4.5. That was dismal.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I don't own an iPhone but I find the "hate" amusing and childlike.

The iPhone hit the market 2 years before WebOS. It grew up based on what needed to be improved.

WebOS on the other hand hit the market in 2009 and the Pre, Pixi and the pluses never were upgraded above OS 1.4.5. That was dismal.

The hate is there because of Apple fans coming in other forums and declaring Apple is perfect and rest are crap. They could have enjoyed what they felt best while others enjoyed their own. We are just tired of hearing Apple is best while we do not think so.
    k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    The hate is there because of Apple fans coming in other forums and declaring Apple is perfect and rest are crap. They could have enjoyed what they felt best while others enjoyed their own. We are just tired of hearing Apple is best while we do not think so.
    I have been "here" since my Treo days and have not witnessed this.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Good for you. No wonder you are not able to justify the feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    Good for you. No wonder you are not able to justify the feeling.
    I have no idea what this means.

Then you weren't paying attention very much, or at all.

It was so bad here, that mods worked overtime to "clean" threads that were pulled way off topic, as they often drifted from the topic to why Apple/iOS was better in every way.

Many of the iOS fan booys and girls were eventually banned, because they appeared to have an agenda here, and it wasn't to discuss WebOS issues!

Just sayin...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

k4ever and cvendra like this.
    I have a new iPhone 5 since my mic stopped working on my pre3. All I can think about is how good my Pre3 was and is.(it still sits on its touchstone on my desk for agenda and clock, and the odd memory lane trip) I keep wishing my iPhone just worked more intuitively. Honest. I don't get how this iPhone is the winner and still alive and WebOS is gone. WHYYYYYYYYYY?????
    Apple copies and innovates.

WebOS copied, but also innovated the heck out of the mobile world.

Android copies and innovates.

In the world of wireless devices, copying happens. If WebOS had a strong financial backer that didn't mind a loss for a couple of years, then WebOs would still be around copying and innovating.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I have a new iPhone 5 since my mic stopped working on my pre3. All I can think about is how good my Pre3 was and is.(it still sits on its touchstone on my desk for agenda and clock, and the odd memory lane trip) I keep wishing my iPhone just worked more intuitively. Honest. I don't get how this iPhone is the winner and still alive and WebOS is gone. WHYYYYYYYYYY?????

Palm was low on money at the time of the Pre's release. It was released on Sprint who was the #3 carrier at the time, losing customers, and could care less about selling the device. The Pre Plus and Pre 2 were minor upgrades. Everyone wanted slabs at the time and Palm didn't have the money to produce new devices and stay afloat. In a last ditch effort to survive and be able to make new devices, Ruby sold Palm to HP. HP's CEO, Mark Hurd had a plan to push HP back into the mobile market (WERE THEY NEEDED TO BE TO SURVIVE). Hurd was forced out by the board on some trumped up charges. I suspect because the board wanted the company to be a software services company like IBM instead of a hardware company. The board brought in Leo Apotheker, the ex-CEO of SAP, a software services company, to be the new CEO. HP needed an excuse to dump their entire hardware line, to include the TouchPad, Pre 3, Veer, desktop, and laptop computers. They found one. They needed additional money for the disastrous Autonomy buy (where you at, so called business experts? I called this a bad move when it happened. You guys didn't and now you mouth is to full of crow to talk?). Their stock took a dive and they pissed of so many people in the industry that they lost all credibility. Now they think they can survive by making cheap crappy Android devices in a market were their competitors are trusted more than they are. They had the best mobile OS on the planet and now they have to watch as others pick its features apart and use it to their advantage.

Meanwhile Apple stuck to their guns. They didn't have the best OS, better features, or even the most apps. What they did have was a plan and loads of cash from their smash hit, the iPod. They stuck to their plan added more and more features as they went along. They still don't have the best OS (by a long shot) or even the best hardware anymore but people know that Apple won't turn tail and run as soon as stuff gets uncomfortable for them like HP did. Apple will support its devices and customers. In turn their customers are loyal to them. That is the real reason why the iPhone is still a contender in the market and the real reason why Apple is considered a leader in the industry while HP is considered a running joke.

Remy X and RumoredNow like this.
    The interesting thing is the Treo and Centro lines were so popular. How Palm fell from the 2nd ranked mobile device in terms of web traffic to the WebOS line not taking off is more than just funding. IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Then you weren't paying attention very much, or at all.

It was so bad here, that mods worked overtime to "clean" threads that were pulled way off topic, as they often drifted from the topic to why Apple/iOS was better in every way.

Many of the iOS fan booys and girls were eventually banned, because they appeared to have an agenda here, and it wasn't to discuss WebOS issues!

Just sayin...
    What I witnessed was Palm users bashing Apple and Apple users defending their choice but maybe going a bit over the top.
    What I witnessed was Palm users bashing Apple and Apple users defending their choice but maybe going a bit over the top.
    Prove it - lets see those posts, then.

Till then, you are just making rhetorical statements that anyone with a history here knows has no basis for truth.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Remy X likes this.
    The interesting thing is the Treo and Centro lines were so popular. How Palm fell from the 2nd ranked mobile device in terms of web traffic to the WebOS line not taking off is more than just funding. IMHO.
    They were definitely resting on their laurels at that point, and when webOS was finally released, the hardware was sub-par and as an "exclusive" on an unpopular carrier, with webOS is also lacking a lot of what PalmOS users took for granted (such as Graffiti input)

I can see why the company didn't make it, and agree that funding was just half of it...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast