Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    They were definitely resting on their laurels at that point, and when webOS was finally released, the hardware was sub-par and as an "exclusive" on an unpopular carrier, with webOS is also lacking a lot of what PalmOS users took for granted (such as Graffiti input)

I can see why the company didn't make it, and agree that funding was just half of it...
    My Treo 600 and later 755P did not have graffiti. In fact, when my wife went to the 600 from her Palm VX, she was missing graffiti big time for a few months.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Wow I had forgotten how much I hate the UI update until I watched your video. Ouch those are some awful looking icons! I hope it gets some tweaking before it hits my phone...
    Not that I was rooting for apple but assumed the first step for them would be to stop with the ugly *** icons with the great big over sized radius on the corners. I mean they are so loud one can spot iphone home screen a mile away,

Round corners for cards= good. Round icons not so much
    Remy X likes this.
    I will say this - The only iOS device we have is my wife's 2007 ish 1st generation iPod Touch - which technically isn't iOS since it has OS 3.1. It's basically a 1st generation iPhone without the phone part.

That darn thing still works perfectly. Facebook app, etc all work and are updated. I have a WebOS device, as she did until she recently went Android. (my jury is out on that)

I personally can't figure out what everyone's problem is with Apple. The 5 year old Touch is a joy to use. Great email, a browser that simply works and it's a workhorse.

I have no skin in the iOS game. I bought my mom (89) a 2nd generation iPad and when I travel to see her and use it, I see why the iPads sell so well. It just works.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I will say this - The only iOS device we have is my wife's 2007 ish 1st generation iPod Touch - which technically isn't iOS since it has OS 3.1. It's basically a 1st generation iPhone without the phone part.

That darn thing still works perfectly. Facebook app, etc all work and are updated. I have a WebOS device, as she did until she recently went Android. (my jury is out on that)

I personally can't figure out what everyone's problem is with Apple. The 5 year old Touch is a joy to use. Great email, a browser that simply works and it's a workhorse.

I have no skin in the iOS game. I bought my mom (89) a 2nd generation iPad and when I travel to see her and use it, I see why the iPads sell so well. It just works.
    Why are you hanging on to webOS then? You should have switched.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post

The iPod and IPad are great devices. I don't think anyone disputes that. Most of us here, to include me, own iOS devices. I personally enjoy using webOS over iOS because of the way it multi-tasks. I also love the notifications, Synergy, the ability to view Flash sites, and stereo speakers on my TouchPad.

The problem is not with the iOS devices. The problem is with the hubris of some iOS users. Can you imagine if Toyota owners made it a point to go around hopping in Mazda or Subaru owners cars and berate the car and the owner? It would be stupid and silly. Well that is exactly what iOS users have done here in our forum. I had someone tell me the other they that I had a fake-Pad because it wasn't an iPad. What the heck? This stuff seems to only happen with mobile phones and tablet. No one really cares what laptop or desktop you use. Some iOS users are out of control and snooty. I really just think that they are insecure, crave attention, or need a way to justify the extra money they spent on their devices. Samsung nailed them in their commercials.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The problem is with the hubris of some iOS users.
    *ding!*

Apple used to position itself as an 'exclusive' brand because it was favored by "creative" users; strong video, audio, and graphics editing along with firewire technology; then the first line of computers in COLORS! oooh so artsy - but were just starting to be a decent OS (yeah, i remember using the Apple IIe in h.s. and Macintosh cubes in college before the iMac and they were horrible.)

but then Apple positioned itself as the 'exclusive' brand with its limited availability and ridiculously high prices. and the people who crave that kind of product flocked to it. i remember this same class of people flaunting little alligators on their polo shirts when i was in grade school. and if the 'haves' want it, then the 'have nots' want it more.

in simpler terms, people choose apple not because "it just works". they choose the BRAND because its perceived as a popular status symbol over the working-class android. open source? oh how banal!

the bottom line on why the Pre didn't fly is because they didn't have enough money to make the product appear strong enough for Verizon to buy in, who had first dibs but bailed. So when they scrambled to pair with Sprint, well they didn't have the cash to support the product either, which is why myself and many others went thru refurb Pre-'s like single-ply toilet paper. I remember working for EarthLink back then, and they were also a Sprint 'partner'. Look where THEY are now. (who? exactly) Palm had to bet on a 3rd rate horse and so they came up short when the race really heated up - when droid, open-source and Google-supported, started showing up on every phone in the store. and every store.

but the ultimate truth of it will not change - the sole reason i was willing to keep going back for another (and another x 6) refurb when the next hardware glitch showed up, was because the software was awesome. it was awesome from day one, and every OTA update worked out bugs on the fly, beyond 1.4.5 to 2.2.4 and 3.0. and if narrow-focused Apocalypse didn't pull the rug out of it, the candy bar version of the Pre3 would have come out and competed apples-to-apples with the THEN-trendy, bigger screen=better phone consumer mindset at the time.

Ruby was thinking too far ahead with the release of the Veer and TP, positioning them to be a paired product offering (touch-to-share, anyone?), using the little phone for voice calls with the NOW-trendy, must-have tablet-replacing-laptop mentality. That concept is just now starting to light up the bulb over the average consumer's melon.

If they released the Pre in candy bar-style then, and came out with the Veer/TP combo now, and had open-sourced webOS from the get-go, android would be the walmart-shopper's prepaid option and Apple would have fallen back to 2nd place like it was back when IBM actually made PC's (not Lenovo)

Verizon's pull-out, Palm's lack of funds paired with poorly timed product releases, and HP's straight-up MISMANAGEMENT is what created the chronic, inevitably fatal disease we all suffer here. Fanboy-trash-talk is just sticks n' stones. Because 4 years after the first release of webOS, there STILL ISN'T AN OS THAT'S AS USER-FRIENDLY as what i've got in this little black river-rock cutie right here.

IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    *ding!*

Apple used to position itself as an 'exclusive' brand because it was favored by "creative" users; strong video, audio, and graphics editing along with firewire technology; then the first line of computers in COLORS! oooh so artsy - but were just starting to be a decent OS (yeah, i remember using the Apple IIe in h.s. and Macintosh cubes in college before the iMac and they were horrible.)

but then Apple positioned itself as the 'exclusive' brand with its limited availability and ridiculously high prices. and the people who crave that kind of product flocked to it. i remember this same class of people flaunting little alligators on their polo shirts when i was in grade school. and if the 'haves' want it, then the 'have nots' want it more.

in simpler terms, people choose apple not because "it just works". they choose the BRAND because its perceived as a popular status symbol over the working-class android. open source? oh how banal!

the bottom line on why the Pre didn't fly is because they didn't have enough money to make the product appear strong enough for Verizon to buy in, who had first dibs but bailed. So when they scrambled to pair with Sprint, well they didn't have the cash to support the product either, which is why myself and many others went thru refurb Pre-'s like single-ply toilet paper. I remember working for EarthLink back then, and they were also a Sprint 'partner'. Look where THEY are now. (who? exactly) Palm had to bet on a 3rd rate horse and so they came up short when the race really heated up - when droid, open-source and Google-supported, started showing up on every phone in the store. and every store.

but the ultimate truth of it will not change - the sole reason i was willing to keep going back for another (and another x 6) refurb when the next hardware glitch showed up, was because the software was awesome. it was awesome from day one, and every OTA update worked out bugs on the fly, beyond 1.4.5 to 2.2.4 and 3.0. and if narrow-focused Apocalypse didn't pull the rug out of it, the candy bar version of the Pre3 would have come out and competed apples-to-apples with the THEN-trendy, bigger screen=better phone consumer mindset at the time.

Ruby was thinking too far ahead with the release of the Veer and TP, positioning them to be a paired product offering (touch-to-share, anyone?), using the little phone for voice calls with the NOW-trendy, must-have tablet-replacing-laptop mentality. That concept is just now starting to light up the bulb over the average consumer's melon.

If they released the Pre in candy bar-style then, and came out with the Veer/TP combo now, and had open-sourced webOS from the get-go, android would be the walmart-shopper's prepaid option and Apple would have fallen back to 2nd place like it was back when IBM actually made PC's (not Lenovo)

Verizon's pull-out, Palm's lack of funds paired with poorly timed product releases, and HP's straight-up MISMANAGEMENT is what created the chronic, inevitably fatal disease we all suffer here. Fanboy-trash-talk is just sticks n' stones. Because 4 years after the first release of webOS, there STILL ISN'T AN OS THAT'S AS USER-FRIENDLY as what i've got in this little black river-rock cutie right here.

IMHO.
    Well said! My experiences with webOS were similar, except I didn't have any hardware issues with my original Pre-, which I picked up in late June 2009. I did have to replace one, but it was my own fat *** that broke the thing - I had it in my pocket while I was laying flooring and rolled over on it, cracking the screen.

My daughter has an iPhone and iPad, and has broken the glass on them, so on top of the original cost to get them, I've paid close to $400 to repair them, and that's since Oct 2012 for the iPhone and Dec 2012 for the iPad.

I got her the iPad partially because I wanted to play around with it and see if I could adapt to using it. It frustrates me that it really is not as user friendly as webOS is, but it looks like I'll be stuck going to Apple products when my webOS devices finally give up the ghost. Until then I'll be happily using my FrankenPre2 and Touchpad.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    Why are you hanging on to webOS then? You should have switched.
    A "real" keyboard. I will hang on as long as possible for that feature alone. I personally believe that WebOS is not as useful as Palm OS was. But that's me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12