Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree149Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I smile every time I fire up my Treo 755P but it's not for primetime anymore.

If you are one of the small group of people using the Pre 2, great. My take stands about replacing it with another one. Why bother?

I still use a Pixi because I love the keyboard. Other than that, it pretty much stinks.
    Most of us already own a spare

If anyone wants to own and use a high-tech work of art, fine, enjoy it. Some people care about what something is (sleek, shiny, new, expensive, big bright screen etc) while others care about what it does (Synergy, portrait slider format, gestures, card stacks, notification LED bar, dirt cheap replacement parts like $3 batteries, Touchstone with centering magnets [unlike Google's piece of crap that fails halfway through a charging cycle])

I suppose that's what's at the core of our differences, and that's fine. One size never fits all.

People like you never want to fall behind the current trend, and people like myself aren't willing to trade their "perfect" for impractical. In this case it's like.. cheap, durable, aesthetically pleasing. Pick any two. The Pre+ happens to be all three, and i couldn't care less about not having LTE, quad-core CPU or 32GB of storage. I'm in the minority, the 1%, but i couldn't care less. To each their own
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    You make it seem like people who use modern hardware are all superficial and only want to keep up with the latest trend. That's not right at all. It's actually really insulting.

It's fine to still use webOS, just don't trash the people who have moved on. It's a bit immature, don't ya think?
    does it really sound so hostile? Well, I apologise. I didn't think there was anything wrong with caring about how one is perceived by the public, so i thought I was simply describing the different priorities.

Some think I'm crazy to hold onto an old phone or to use an even older laptop, but i'm 100% about the utilitarian side of it, and not about projecting success to the people I work with, if it goes against comfort and usability.

I'm sorry that you got offended, but look at it this way, being me is un-fashionable, but being you is normal.

I don't care about being out of step with society, I've been that way all through my school years and even earlier... For others, it's always mattered how people feel about them... Friends, family, clients at work, and so on. The difference is real and exists even if people aren't unwittingly crapping on each other.
    Last edited by Remy X; 06/12/2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Most of us already own a spare

If anyone wants to own and use a high-tech work of art, fine, enjoy it. Some people care about what something is (sleek, shiny, new, expensive, big bright screen etc) while others care about what it does (Synergy, portrait slider format, gestures, card stacks, notification LED bar, dirt cheap replacement parts like $3 batteries, Touchstone with centering magnets [unlike Google's piece of crap that fails halfway through a charging cycle])

I suppose that's what's at the core of our differences, and that's fine. One size never fits all.

People like you never want to fall behind the current trend, and people like myself aren't willing to trade their "perfect" for impractical. In this case it's like.. cheap, durable, aesthetically pleasing. Pick any two. The Pre+ happens to be all three, and i couldn't care less about not having LTE, quad-core CPU or 32GB of storage. I'm in the minority, the 1%, but i couldn't care less. To each their own
    How can you say something like this to me when my only mobile device is WebOS? I am way behind what you deem the "current trend".
    Everyone just needs to cool it. We are hear because we like webOS. Some of us have moved on (not me, just bought a touchpad and some of use have not. We all like a new more powerful phone but it seems we will not get one on this platform anytime soon. Most people like to keep up on tech and enjoying talking about a new game with friends but most of our friends don't have webOS devices (ones you physically see.)

The truth us that if nothing happens with webOS we will all move on as much as we don't want. It's just a matter of when, most have already for reasons like apps, hardware, a shiny new toy. It happens, get over it. I think most of use here though are a different bread, different nerdy people. Don't follow the crowd, want to be part of a struggle.

When I switch, it won't be to ios or android but to someone different because I like being different. when everyone was getting ipod touchs in school, I got a Sony Mylo. When everyone got ios devices, I got a Nokia 5230, when everyone was getting an android I got a Pre 2. I plan to continue this trend. I just got a touchpad which will give me another 6+ months with webOS because I'm human and like shinny new toys like the rest of us. But I do hope that this community stays around for a long time. We don't always get along but we all enjoy each others company and like being part of this.

To the webOS Community and being different!
    Last edited by mattmers; 06/13/2013 at 12:00 AM.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
    How can you say something like this to me when my only mobile device is WebOS? I am way behind what you deem the "current trend".
    Well, it all started out with us seeing different sides of "why bother?" and you being so partial to iOS in the past, i assumed the Pixi was just another piece of memorabilia that gets lots of use around the house, but never goes anywhere else.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But then, there's more than two types of people in the world and we all have our own reasons for being here. Some care more about being "up to date" than others, and for some it's just a meaningless game... the key, i guess, is to just enjoy life
    This is, IMO, both bad and good news:

Bad... because it once again validates what all of us Pre owners knew: the card UI was the practical and most user friendly for a mobile device, and, WebOS had it, and failed in the market due to poor hardware, poor financing, poor acquisition, and corporate betrayal by HP.

Good... because, to date, BB10, WP8 and now IOS 7 are all seeing the light set by Palm 4.5 years ago... its only a matter of time till M. Duarte at Google introduces gestures into Android in his own unique way, and then makes the UI design change over to the card UI as well.

I have a Galaxy S4. Man, this thing would rock with WebOS on it.. but, perhaps it won't be too long until we do get Duarte's more updated implementation of the card UI in Android. I can see it happening, for sure.

and, yes, FWIW, I have my Pre3 sitting atop its touchstone charger right by my desk, sans sim card, but running and connected via wifi, just because it's such a beautiful concept, and it reminds me of what might have been...
    Last edited by LCGuy; 06/12/2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: clarification
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Remy X, tp2386 and geekpeter like this.
    I've been dying to ask this... the "device" they use in a lot of these images, is that actually something that exists in the real world or just something they dreamed up for their cuet demos?

Cause I kinda like it, and at the same time think its lame they show it on something that doesn't exist. It's definitely not an iPhone 5.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I've been dying to ask this... the "device" they use in a lot of these images, is that actually something that exists in the real world or just something they dreamed up for their cuet demos?

Cause I kinda like it, and at the same time think its lame they show it on something that doesn't exist. It's definitely not an iPhone 5.
    Where are you seeing that? The comments I've seen indicate it is a 5 - I haven't personally payed close attention to the videos other than watching the brief demo.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/12/2013 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    [...]
    I think most of use here left though are a different breed, different nerdy people. Don't follow the crowd, want to be part of a struggle.

[...]
    Perhaps...

I think all of us that have come through here, whether staying or having moved on, felt that Palm set a pretty high standard for usability, one that others are only starting to catch up to.

Other than that, i'd say we are a pretty diverse crowd...

But yeah, everyone that's still visiting the forum on a daily basis at this point, is most likely an enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Where are you seeing that? The comments I've seen indicate it is a 5 - I haven't personally payed close attention to the videos other than watching the brief demo.
    Yup. Definitely a 5, but cropped to only show the screen and the side buttons...
    iOS7 compatibility goes back to iPhone 4 (released June 2010) and the iPad 2 (March 2011).

Not bad.

(to proper forum)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Hopefully these will hotlink correctly...

Looks like an iP5 with the top and bottom chopped off here, but...

Now it's a 100" Apple TV?! Imagine that mounted horizontally on your wall.

Not an iPad mini... not an iPod Touch... what on earth is this slab of glass we are looking at here? The only reason I bring it up is because it's basically impossible to Google search for, and I found it weird that they just didn't show it on an existing device on the big screen keynote demo.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    iOS7 compatibility goes back to iPhone 4 (released June 2010) and the iPad 2 (March 2011). Not bad.
    Not bad, but on the other side not all features are supported on older devices, e.g. Airdrop isn't supported on 4/4s. Also Siri was not supported on older devices when it had been introduced. These decisions sounds more like marketing policy instruments to me than real technical limitations.

At least there's not so much fragmentation than on Android. But if Apple decides not to support your device anymore than you have a problem, e.g. their App Store doesn't support different versions for different OS versions (AFAIR).
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Nice Side-by-side comparisons:
    WWDC: Apple Copying Competitors (Side-by-side comparisons)

I would also like to have more possibilities on incoming calls - like directly respond via sms and therefore "ignore" call.

But i wonder if any of the other OS copied the contact reminder feature that pops up when getting in contact with a person. Would miss this alot when leaving webOS.
    Multitasking!? To quit an app, just swipe it up!? Apple the copycat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I take this as an admission from Apple that WebOS was a great OS.
    xandros9 likes this.
    I hadn't been around an iPhone for some time.
    I did a Test Drive with T-Mobile and they gave me an iPhone for the trial.
    I was absolutely thrown back when I saw the multitasking 'Cards'.
    I know it's just business, but still makes me say; 'you bottom feeding slime balls'
    Just call me Berd.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I hadn't been around an iPhone for some time.
    I did a Test Drive with T-Mobile and they gave me an iPhone for the trial.
    I was absolutely thrown back when I saw the multitasking 'Cards'.
    I know it's just business, but still makes me say; 'you bottom feeding slime balls'
    Its a poor imitation but good enough for them. And Jobs did say palm knew how to make software, so I'm sure they had that in their sights for a while
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345