Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 98
Like Tree149Likes
  1. #61  
    HP (now LG) open sourced webOS, provided that they use the card code from LunaSysMgr, they have to include the License and copyright information, but as that is part of the code (compiled into IOS 7), would they still need to provide a we got this code from here. Or is this the idea of cards, which they could have bought rights to as far as licensing them from HP/ACCESS, not all contract deals from company to company are made public...

    I suspect with Apple being sue happy, they paid for the rights to use cards, they used Swiss Federal Railways clock symbol, and paid ($21 Mil) for that (after the fact).

    http://mashable.com/2012/11/11/apple...es-clock-icon/

    So unless Apple lawyers forgot like the clock, I am sure HP/Palm/LG/ACCESS would fight for some fruit dollars...

    Or the card metaphor becomes public domain (if a patent is not defended) and anyone can use it..

    Now that Matias Gonzalo Duarte is part of Google, I see Android getting closer and closer to webOS functionality...
  2. #62  
    TheVerge:
    Tracing iOS 7's influences: Apple remixes almost everyone in the industry | The Verge

    "PrPrPr&#$275$;-made innovation" - nice linguistic joke :P
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by syncdin View Post
    There's too much home button pressing in iOS, not very fluid at all...
    It is too much to ask from that one, overworked button. Crow about design and simplicity all you want; relying on that one hardware button for so many uses is "simple" alright. Let's not put those functions in the control center we just built and where they would logically belong. Let's keep the dimple in the center of the bezel and make people remember multiple ways of poking at it to accomplish different objectives...

    Guess the button is too visually "Apple" to let go of yet.


    And no one has mentioned Glass Effects yet... I saw what they did there too.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    This isn't a patent. This is just the application applied for a patent so what you see is what Palm sent to the USPTO for examination. However, this was not patented from what I searched. On the other hand, because this is public information, Apple CANNOT patent it. However, the application was referenced in:

    8,159,469
    8,373,673
    in GB it seems it was granted:
    Intellectual Property Office - Patent document and information service (Ipsum)

    Code:
    Publication of notice in the Patents and Designs Journal (Section 25(1)):
    10 April 2013
    Perhaps iOS 7 will be late in UK...
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansing2002 View Post
    If HP owns the patents to cards, multi-tasking et al, I have to assume they'd be suing Apple, once this hits main stream use.

    And if this is true (the patents), why wouldn't they sue? Apple has been dickheads about suing - it would be nice to see the tables turned. HP has a shareholder revolt over webOS (and it's handling), so why wouldn't this be a "take the pressure off" scenario.

    .
    Because their spineless and strapped for cash, but mostly spineless.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  6. gagetbOy's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Webosforlife View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like my girlfriend has been kidnapped and is now being raped by my worst enemy...
    it's one thing if it was Android who did it because at least I have respect for them but the fact that it's Apple is disgusting.
    I'm sure you all remember how much Apple use to bash Web OS for its card design claiming battery issues. now watching them steal this feature is disgusting and makes me want to puke.
    I know some of you are glad to see it being used but I would much rather Web OS put to rest instead of seeing Apple moleste it.. At the very least Apple should have the balls enough to give credit where credit is deserved
    Ok /rant off
    wow man thats a little extreme I had my pitchfork ready too in case they dared to say they invented it, but the more I think about it the more I see it as a necessary evil there is no more webos its dead. I'm running a pre 3 now but if it dies I doubt I'll buy another one and to never use webos design paradigms seems like a punishment while I'd prefer to a pre 4 with all the modern bells a whistles I doubt it will happen. So what choice do we have openwebos cant access any apps from webos and they are quickly becoming outdated in features anyway. The onlly way I see the return of webos is if:
    LG fixes all the lagging and stutter
    gives us there best hardware possible
    every member of this forum learn and builds openwebos apps
    we all become very giving and gift pre 4s to everyone we know at every occasion

    so it might not be the best timeline but I still think that there could be a darker timeline.
    Shadowhawk likes this.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    in GB it seems it was granted
    I did see an EP number, though I'm rusty with the EPO numbering so I don't know if it's valid throughout Europe, and not just GB. Checking the USPTO PAIR system, it turns out this application is still valid and is still being examined. Looks like it took the USPTO 2 years to get around to the first action, which explains why this isn't a patent yet. However, this application is a continuation in part of Patent No. 8,296,684, so the cards bit is basically patented and has been since last year (although filed back in May of '08.)

    In terms of who owns the application and patent, neither HP nor LG own them. Both are actually assigned to Palm, Inc., per the records at the USPTO. Now, before you say the dates were old, both were recorded last month (and both were assigned to HP back in 2010 as per the records).
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Because their spineless and strapped for cash, but mostly spineless.
    Or because as the USPTO shows, HP does not own the patents, unless they own the entity Palm, Inc.

    For those that want Apple ruined by lawyers, give it time. Most of the webOS stuff is still being prosecuted and is not patents yet. Things will change once all become patents. I would though be very happy if say Nokia sues Apple for this (Symbians App Switcher looks very similar to Apple's, and their legal department already had fun with RIM and wifi). Imagine Apple loosing to a Symbian S60 patent... So much for innovation...
    Remy X likes this.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Inspired by the comparison posted by WPCentral, just added webOS to the mix together with names and year.

    Click to view quoted image
    Of all three, webOS seems most "alive" and work-ready, easy on the eyes, even if a little busy. By comparison, the other two look like hasty concept renderings... and of those, the WP8 design seems cleaner and more pleasant.

    Thanks for the side-by-side
    kataran and ArchonAdvisors like this.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    TheVerge:
    Tracing iOS 7's influences: Apple remixes almost everyone in the industry | The Verge

    "PrPrPr&#$275$;-made innovation" - nice linguistic joke :P
    Link to mobile version (because good lord, The Verge is a heavy site):
    Tracing iOS 7's influences: Apple remixes almost everyone in the industry | The Verge
  11. #71  
    Unless people were really late to the party, there aren't many, if any WebOS phones that haven't had their contracts run out. That's reality.

    These folks can either hang on to aging software and hardware or upgrade to a new phone. Maybe a small handful of people will try to find a device that still works but in general iOS7 and Android 4.2 are going to get the remaining people.

    To get so negative about a release is pointless.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The duplicated clock/battery/wifi statusbar is something that Steve would have never allowed into production.
    Steve would have never allowed the entire OS X redesign to be a cheap nock-off of Andriod+WindowsPhone. Ives was at odds with Steve over "Skeuomorphism", and Ives has been wanting to redesign iOS for a while now.

    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    And if history repeats, they will announce to their sheep they invented card view and better multitasking then aquire a patent and beat everyone else to death with it for copying "their" tech.
    I don't think they're going to try to take credit for inventing Card-like-multitasking. Not when they just released an OS update with every single feature stolen from another service. I have a small app on my computer right now called TagBot that I've been using for years to tag my files in the exact way that you will now be able to do on the new desktop OS. It's clear that Apple is no longer an innovative company: they are now playing catch-up to the rest of the industry, and it is only a matter of time that everyone else catches up.

    Quote Originally Posted by gagetbOy View Post
    so it might not be the best timeline but I still think that there could be a darker timeline.
    heh heh heh... I'm so glad that Harmon's coming back!!!
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Unless people were really late to the party, there aren't many, if any WebOS phones that haven't had their contracts run out. That's reality.

    These folks can either hang on to aging software and hardware or upgrade to a new phone. Maybe a small handful of people will try to find a device that still works but in general iOS7 and Android 4.2 are going to get the remaining people.

    To get so negative about a release is pointless.
    You try to make it sound really painful and difficult, but is it?

    The choice is either to buy an unopened unit off of Amazon or if one chooses to buy one for half the price, try one's luck on eBay. Simple enough.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    You try to make it sound really painful and difficult, but is it?

    The choice is either to buy an unopened unit off of Amazon or if one chooses to buy one for half the price, try one's luck on eBay. Simple enough.
    But why bother at this point? Sure there is a small handful of people who hate to let go but other than that, why deal with an aging OS?
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    Nope. I'm happy that modern platforms are "stealing" webOS's features.

    Does it really matter who did it first? No. It would be a shame to waste the card metaphor by limiting it to only webOS. I hope every platform "steals" it.
    As a former Palm Pre owner and current touchpad owner i don't mind other companies stealing the idea since Palm is dead, but they just don't do it right. You get spoiled with WebOS and it's tough to like something similar.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    But why bother at this point? Sure there is a small handful of people who hate to let go but other than that, why deal with an aging OS?
    "Why bother" just about sums it up. It's a double-sided coin.

    Me, i don't want to bother paying an upgrade fee for something that could end up being stolen or shattered within a few weeks, that doesn't fit in the palm of my hand, and doesn't have reliable touchstone charging. My Pre+ serves me well. "Why bother" is right, and to each their own.
    laingman likes this.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Webosforlife View Post
    Am I the only one who feels like my girlfriend has been kidnapped and is now being raped by my worst enemy...

    [...]

    I know some of you are glad to see it being used but I would much rather Web OS put to rest instead of seeing Apple moleste it..
    This post seems...quite inappropriate.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    But why bother at this point? Sure there is a small handful of people who hate to let go but other than that, why deal with an aging OS?
    Why bother? Well hp just gave us an update to keep our phones running for a while.

    Its not like I could march into a store and buy a phone on another platform that's not "aging" as you put it with a portrait slider, and with stacks, round corners to keep me calm, a cool font, touchstone, the sexiest light bar I have ever seen, feels perfect in my hand, etc, etc

    Still smile every time I use my Pre2
    Remy X, Balooz and lansing like this.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    As a former Palm Pre owner and current touchpad owner i don't mind other companies stealing the idea since Palm is dead, but they just don't do it right. You get spoiled with WebOS and it's tough to like something similar.
    Co-sign
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Why bother? Well hp just gave us an update to keep our phones running for a while.

    Its not like I could march into a store and buy a phone on another platform that's not "aging" as you put it with a portrait slider, and with stacks, round corners to keep me calm, a cool font, touchstone, the sexiest light bar I have ever seen, feels perfect in my hand, etc, etc

    Still smile every time I use my Pre2
    I smile every time I fire up my Treo 755P but it's not for primetime anymore.

    If you are one of the small group of people using the Pre 2, great. My take stands about replacing it with another one. Why bother?

    I still use a Pixi because I love the keyboard. Other than that, it pretty much stinks.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. webOS card metaphor multitasking come to iPhone
    By ASASEABAN in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09/09/2011, 03:07 AM
  2. Wp7 will get card multitasking
    By kinster02 in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02/14/2011, 08:30 PM
  3. Poll - True Multitasking vs Multitasking Lite? Battery life
    By clutch1222 in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06/21/2010, 03:23 PM
  4. New Card Metaphor for multitasking on a Tablet?
    By bulls96 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05/07/2010, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions