Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree149Likes
    The story of this thread: Loyalists hate it and switchers love it. But we all webos fans
    kataran likes this.
    You know what it makes sense now. Remember when Jobs said some companies really know how to make software "like Palm"

I bet they always wished they got there first and could do nothing about it at the time short of buying it. Now webos is out of production and nobody wants to own it like some kinda cancer. Now was the time for apple to make its move

Like we like to say back home "all fruits ripe"
    kataran, xandros9 and LCGuy like this.
    If HP owns the patents to cards, multi-tasking et al, I have to assume they'd be suing Apple, once this hits main stream use.

And if this is true (the patents), why wouldn't they sue? Apple has been dickheads about suing - it would be nice to see the tables turned. HP has a shareholder revolt over webOS (and it's handling), so why wouldn't this be a "take the pressure off" scenario.

Apple isn't going to be sued for multitasking. Apple spent $10 million recently to license patents from Access.

Access bought PalmSource. PalmSource owned Palm OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Apple isn't going to be sued for multitasking. Apple spent $10 million recently to license patents from Access.

Access bought PalmSource. PalmSource owned Palm OS.
    PalmOS != webOS
    Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    yea but this is not a palm os feature, I believe that if there was a patent for card multitasking, it was just sold to LG. So I guess its into LG to sue and I don't think they will unless apple has litigation with them right now.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    yea but this is not a palm os feature, I believe that if there was a patent for card multitasking, it was just sold to LG. So I guess its into LG to sue and I don't think they will unless apple has litigation with them right now.
    Proof?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $HP$ $still$ $owns$ $Palm$ $GBU$ $and$ $all$ $of$ $its$ $patents$. $What$ $it$ $has$ $sold$ $to$ $LG$ $is$ $the$ $source$ $code$ $and$ $trademark$ $of$ $webOS$, $as$ $well$ $as$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $non$-$Synergy$ $staff$.
    now bring on inductive charging, hardware keyboard for one hand usage and more gestures and don't forget the blink notification bar and i'm in.

Well OK perhaps a way to patch all the system to the max is needed too
    Apple needs to make the multitasking view, swipe-up from bottom, and have the control center be just another card... Double pressing the home button for the multitasking view is very clunky...

I prefer webOS's swipe-up multitasking. There's too much home button pressing in iOS, not very fluid at all...
    kataran likes this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Much more annoying is that most sites I read are writing that Apple stole the card metapher from BlackBerry.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
    I believe Palm patented this in 2003 or so.
    Card Metaphor For Activities In A Computing Device
    US 20100095240 A1

https://www.google.com/patents/US201...ed=0CDoQ6AEwAA

Inventor: Matias Gonzalo Duarte

even stacks are in there.
    Remy X, MihMih, Andreas and 8 others like this.
    Thanks for the report, virtualkyr, and the great follow-ups by everyone, especially mattmers for linking to the iMore.com article.

I wrote my reactions up on my own blog, but, basically, it's galling to see Apple appropriate this metaphor when their original stand was "who needs mutli-tasking?" At the same time, it brings up both some bitterness about how HP handled webOS and the hilarious reaction YouTube video by jonnybryce, "HP webOS announcement vs webOS community".

So...annoyance at Apple, bitterness at HP, and frustrated humor...Is that catharsis?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755 > Palm Pre > [Pre 2] > [Pre3], Touchpad > iPhone 4S

Interaction designer looking for an opportunity to change the world for the better. Gadget/connected device fantasist. Distributed Cognition fan. Sci-fi/fantasy fan.
    RumoredNow and mattmers like this.
    I would love to see HP/LG to see them sue Apple not because they stole it but because apple would do it, with anyone else. just look at "slide to unlock" that existed on SYMBIAN with "swype to unlock" and dont tell me it is an apple idea.
    I really do not understand how people say it is droid/wp/blackberry steal its actually rather more webOS which is a meeGO steal in a way... and all those colors and theme thingy that is so sailfishOS its just ridiculous how they sell stuff as "inovativ" just look at their mac pro...
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    US 20100095240 A1

Good one gizmo21!!! Good to hear as well that there is no backdoor licensing on this patent via palmsource and that HP owns it till date. Now HP, use it and give webOS its much deserved due.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Inspired by the comparison posted by WPCentral, just added webOS to the mix together with names and year.

Last edited by Andreas; 06/11/2013 at 05:35 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Am I the only one who feels like my girlfriend has been kidnapped and is now being raped by my worst enemy...
    it's one thing if it was Android who did it because at least I have respect for them but the fact that it's Apple is disgusting.
    I'm sure you all remember how much Apple use to bash Web OS for its card design claiming battery issues. now watching them steal this feature is disgusting and makes me want to puke.
    I know some of you are glad to see it being used but I would much rather Web OS put to rest instead of seeing Apple moleste it.. At the very least Apple should have the balls enough to give credit where credit is deserved
    Ok /rant off
    Last edited by Webosforlife; 06/11/2013 at 06:44 AM.
    if you ask me rounded corners and outstanding of middle card still looks better. but i'm biased
    US 20100095240 A1

This isn't a patent. This is just the application applied for a patent so what you see is what Palm sent to the USPTO for examination. However, this was not patented from what I searched. On the other hand, because this is public information, Apple CANNOT patent it. However, the application was referenced in:

The scope of those patents is a GUI interface that doesn't require the user to got back to the home screen to interact with the device. These goes into the quick wave and Just Type also. I don't have time though to see why this application stopped dead, or if there are other, similar ones.

I still get the feeling that despite having cards, iOS will still fail to multitask in the objective way (something that even Symbian was doing before OS X even came out).
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    if you ask me rounded corners and outstanding of middle card still looks better. but i'm biased
    Yes and Apples top bar "in-card" is also a very big design flaw in my personal view. I like the fixed top bar on webOS more!
    Remy X, Shadowhawk and cbosdell like this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast