Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hearing a lot of fish drop MeeGo and Sailfish, so just checked out a Jolla site and found this poll: Jolla Handset Poll: Give Jolla your feedback! | Latest Jolla Sailfish News

No portrait slider option. A shame since I love me some Pre hardware styling. Candybar portrait keyboard tempts me more and more as the BBQ10 now shows you can pack a lot of pixels into what space is left for a screen now.

But ouch, people really be hatin' on portrait keybaords! It's second to last above "Other." I was on the landscape slider train back in the WinMo days, and just don't want to go back as one-handed typing was near on impossible.
    I do agree with you but fact is that Sailfish is really built for all-touch whereas BB10 is built for both all-touch and keyboard phones.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    You must also remember that webos was built to only work in portrait mode and you needed a keyboard because there was no onscreen touchscreen. The Jolla team worked with primarily all touch screen and touchscreen with slide out keyboard. I'm sure that Sailfish could work as a portrait slider but I doubt that they will do that as their initial design.
    @kingstu: At first: yes. But the never-released WindsorNot was actually built for landscape use as well. Also, some apps are useable in landscape too on the Pre's. For example, you can use the gesture area in landscape mode as a scroll wheel in the web browser which is really convenient.

But yeah, I still stand by my previous post.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I can't help but think that the Jolla thing was the solution webOS should have gone.
    They managed to make a phone and they will sell it this year.
    I also like their OS and they say it can run Android apps:

Finnish MeeGo Startup Jolla Reveals First Phone, With Customisable Shells,
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I can't help but think that the Jolla thing was the solution webOS should have gone.
    They managed to make a phone and they will sell it this year.
    I also like their OS and they say it can run Android apps:

Finnish MeeGo Startup Jolla Reveals First Phone, With Customisable Shells,
    The phone looks good but I dislike their choice of the big black bezel under the screen. It's a buttonless phone for gods sake, we don't need that damn bezel. (and yes, I feel the same about Android phones with onscreen buttons)
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Maybe it's used for gestures? Don't really know. It's not the best device around, but it's new hardware. Something that webOS doesn't have unfortunately

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I think for the price tag (399€) it actually is a really nice device, considering it has all that android side loading and the OS is something like BB10 obviously.

I am sorry for hijacking, but
    Last edited by krushaaa; 05/20/2013 at 01:46 PM.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Maybe it's used for gestures? Don't really know. It's not the best device around, but it's new hardware. Something that webOS doesn't have unfortunately

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    It's not for gestures because the gestures take place on the screen (from the left bezel to the right bezel, the down-slide "pully menu" and the usual swiping).

Btw, I pre-ordered one without paying money upfront.
    I am thinking about pre-ordering the 100€ one since I have the feeling that the extra backplate might be some keyboard (some wish thinking going on there in my head).

Is it just me or does it look like the more awesome BB10?
    Quote Originally Posted by krushaaa View Post
    I am thinking about pre-ordering the 100 one since I have the feeling that the extra backplate might be some keyboard (some wish thinking going on there in my head).

Is it just me or does it look like the more awesome BB10?
    No, BB10 looks like Sailfish. Sailfish development started with screenshots and blueprints of the interface et all before BB10 showed Its UI. And it's more interactive since you can actually take actions on the minimized apps.
    But there are lots of differences beyond that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    But there are lots of differences beyond that.
    I should have said UI and android wise.
    It seams to me that the Nokia N9xx (maemo/meego/mer) crowds are going mental just now and are all pre-ordering, at least in germany..

For them its just like if for us lg would release a new webos phone, well thats the power of open sauce.
    Hey, no fair, I'm a webOS person and I just said I pre-ordered this Jolla device

But yeah, it's true: I would go crazy if LG announces a webOS phone with webOS and not OWO.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    N9 was the only device that I would compare with my Pre.
    I loved Meego nearly as much as webOS.
    However I'm not ready to commit to another OS without a future.
    I believe I will soon join the dark side (Android) for some time and if the situation changes in a couple of years (Jolla, Ubuntu or an LG webOS device) I will maybe go to one of these.
    But the LG bought the OWOS package, and not "webOS" package, because a big part continue with HP... or Im wrong?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    But the LG bought the OWOS package, and not "webOS" package, because a big part continue with HP... or Im wrong?

Best Regards...
    Yeah, I'm sorry, I put it wrong. What I meant was: please do not let them ship the barebones OWO. HP is preparing to license OWO Pro (which include the App Store and Synergy and stuff) which makes it just like webOS and I want them to release a phone with all that included.
    FYI
    here,here and here

Looking at all those covers I want them all
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I'm thinking there might be a portrait slider "other half" available if Jolla or a hardware partner makes one. It's a niche market but because it is not part of the principle phone they can make them in smaller numbers and it won't affect phone sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    I'm thinking there might be a portrait slider "other half" available if Jolla or a hardware partner makes one. It's a niche market but because it is not part of the principle phone they can make them in smaller numbers and it won't affect phone sales.
    All the 3rd party sliders I've seen so far are landscape. Still better than no hw keyboard at all though.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    All the 3rd party sliders I've seen so far are landscape. Still better than no hw keyboard at all though.
    Yeah, seems BB completely owns that market now. Jolla isn't doing one. WP8 and Android aren't friendly to it at this point. iOS goes without saying...

Sigh. The darn Q10's so expensive and the Q5 won't see light for a long while in North America. I'm pleased with my Pre 3, but only see one potential next ship on the distant horizon.

I like small smartphones, no bigger than the Pre 3. Not great with an onscreen keyboard at that size, though Sony makes some okay small Androids. Adding a portrait keyboard or portrait slider (Pre line is only one to make slim portrait sliders, IMHO) does the trick so well without needing the awkward landscape. SIIIIIIIIIIGH.

How the is it that BB is the only one covering that segment now, and could they please hurry up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast