• 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By jlamb0
  1.    #1  
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/13/rum...acebook-phone/

At least with that on the history books webOS doesn't look so bad. :lol:
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/13/2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fixed link
    RumoredNow, Rnp, jrb363 and 1 others like this.
    Nice to see the Facebook folks see that their product isn't a 'must-have' for everyone. I hate FB personally.
    cujoq37 and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Meh...

I never saw the huge deal in FB. Good for us, the public. After the debacle that was the IPO, it has been nothing but bad press for them.

My feelings of schadenfreude over this are boundless.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
    I actually like the hardware. If only it wasn't Qualcomm... I might still have to pick one up.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I thought Facebook Home was a pretty neat concept, actually. But it was far from being ready. They should've worked out more features before releasing the HTC First.
    Has this rumor been validated yet? BGR had it up and that's TC's only source for this. Chris Ziegler from The Verge had his doubts about it on Twitter earlier today and Engadget hasn't picked up the story yet.

Either way I'm not sure why they released a phone for this anyway. The idea is that every phone is a Facebook phone with Home being a downloadable app to the most popular Android phones.
    Twitter: @GoodOLMC
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Nice to see the Facebook folks see that their product isn't a 'must-have' for everyone. I hate FB personally.
    Oh tell me about it. I remember back then when this was the thing that came along I almost got into a fight with someone for not signing up. And yes up till today I STILL don't have a Failbook account.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Meh, Facebook as a website is fine. As one who has friends all over the map, I use it to keep tabs and they do a good job with the we interfaces.

Now Facebook as a company? Bleh. Too many misfires. And as for some of their outside the box innovations (like the First and FB Home), they just keep reaching a lil too far for what FB is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I actually like the hardware. If only it wasn't Qualcomm... I might still have to pick one up.
    indeed, phone itself looks nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    ...Now Facebook as a company? Bleh. Too many misfires. And as for some of their outside the box innovations (like the First and FB Home), they just keep reaching a lil too far for what FB is.
    This in a nutshell is their problem.

In FaceBook's opinion, FaceBook is the most important thing in your life and you will die if you do not integrate it into every aspect of your life...

Google has already become that way by sneaking up on people, gathering function quietly and just pushing out new ideas (some swam, some sank)...

The difference, and why Google has become so integral for so many, is that Google never has that shrill tone of frantic self importance. "I'm FaceBook, let me in to your contacts - they must all know what you're doing and where you are. THEY MUST or you're not a real friend. FaceBook is the only way you can have a life! It never happened to you if you don't post it on FaceBook." Their adherents take up that fanaticism and sicken many outside observers.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus and Remy X like this.
  11.    #11  
    Unfortunately Google is getting there close. They are trying to shove Google+ down your throat every opportunity they can. Frankly not too positive about the updated Hangouts that's supposed to replace Talk, almost CERTAIN they will force you to go on G+. I just hope Talk will remain, that's what works with webOS.
    ananimus likes this.
    The problem is they both want to drive more ad revenue off of us users. So, while they both offer useful services, they can never be satisfied if we do not keep using more and more of their services. More eyeball time, more ad revenue. More stuff "shared" or "liked" better profiling of us for more ads.

It is what I tell friends and relatives...as long as you understand the ecosystem and the tradeoffs, you will be OK for the most part. Just don't fall for everything they say they are offering to "help" you. When you get a service for free, you are not the customer....you are the product for other paying customers.
    love FB, finally signed up a few years ago, great way to keep up with my friends that I don't get too see enough now that we are all grown, own homes and have families. But then again I don't friend everyone that just sends me a request, almost everyone I am friends with I have met in real life.
    ananimus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
    The problem is they both want to drive more ad revenue off of us users. So, while they both offer useful services, they can never be satisfied if we do not keep using more and more of their services. More eyeball time, more ad revenue. More stuff "shared" or "liked" better profiling of us for more ads.
    Actually, it's more than advertising revenue. Second hand from someone in the Valley: there's also big money in the search and activity data. What can be gleaned from the analytics is apparently huge. This was supposedly a big motivator for things like Apple trying to start their own map software, Bing by Microsoft, and Facebook's fledgling attempts at search.

Though I'm sure that ad money is nothing to scoff at.

Also for the FB poo-pooers: One of the "this is the coolest" things I thought the first time I fired up webOS was connecting Synergy to FB. Gone are the days of putting photos into contacts. My friends do it for me now! And every morning when I wake up they're updated.
    Last edited by ananimus; 05/14/2013 at 11:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    ...as for some of their outside the box innovations (like the First and FB Home), they just keep reaching a lil too far for what FB is.
    One small problem: that is exactly what fB is about (and Google for that matter). Lookup the Inqtel connection for a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    One small problem: that is exactly what fB is about (and Google for that matter). Lookup the Inqtel connection for a start.
    Hmm... interesting reading. But not sure if legit or conspiracy theory.

Seems pretty damn probable though.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Yup, this rumor turned out to be true. And I bought my HTC first the day it went on sale for $0.99 on contract, only to have it canceled a couple days later. Kinda feels familiar...

Anyway, I don't regret the purchase. The hardware is gorgeous, and turning off FaceBook Home leaves me with a basically stock android device.

I still have my Pre 3, but with DropBox, Google, and FaceBook all starting to move away from the APIs that webOS integrates with, I had to look for something relatively future-proof.

Even though the first has been discontinued, I can at least be assured that I'll be able to run updated apps for a few years on Jelly Bean.
    Last edited by jlamb0; 06/15/2013 at 11:53 PM.
    chalx likes this.