• 2 Post By alonhzn
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Time to get a nexus

"
    So, we committed our teams to making it so that by end of May, the phone images will be usable as our daily phones, defined as the following:

You can make and receive phone calls
    You can make and receive sms messages
    You can browse the web on 3g data
    You can browse the web on wifi
    You can switch between wifi and 3g data
    The proximity sensore dims the screen when you lift the phone to talk on it
    You can import contacts from somewhere, and you can add and edit contacts
    When you update your phone your user data is retained, even if updating with phablet-flash

"
    RumoredNow and TUFF Stough like this.
    I was just looking for this. Thank you for posting the link...

In case you haven't seen: I've been trying to keep up with Ubuntu Touch progress. http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ntu-touch.html

Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    ... Time to get a nexus ...
    I don't know what you've waited so long for...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    alonhzn likes this.
    Hmm, I'm not a big Samsung fan (but no Apple fan either, just to clarify because I don't want that flame wars!) but a Nexus does seem appealing now...
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Hmm, I'm not a big Samsung fan (but no Apple fan either, just to clarify because I don't want that flame wars!) but a Nexus does seem appealing now...
    Nexus 4 - Google
    it's made by LG
    The "Official" Candidates: Galaxy Nexus (Samsung), Nexus 4 (LG), Nexus 7 (Asus), Nexus 10 (Samsung)

There are many ports in the works and most likely anyone can find a palatable alternative if the Google Branded hardware does not suit them.

Here's the list of working, but not available from the official repository (including project links)
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Device...om_cdimage.u.c

Here's the list of work in progress (caveat emptor)
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices#Work_in_progress

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I put an early build on my nexus 7, was not all that impressed. They don't seem to mention email? If it is half decent might flash my Nexus 4.

Having said that was using the N4 for a few days this week running Android, but moved my sim back in to my Pre 3. What is it about webOS that despite its shortcoming is still nicer to use lol?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    If webOS was less buggy i would not consider changing OS! I can do without the apps but too many bugs in my Pre3.
    bug-less, webOS would be far better than any android out there!
    for me the major turn off with android is the awkwardness of switching between and closing apps that run in the background.
    I hope Ubuntu will be better at that.
    BTW, RumoredNow, can you comment on switching between and closing of apps in Ubuntu? is there a unified closing technique (like flicking the card away)?
    Buggy in what way? There are issues for sure but nothing that stops me using the device.

The only issue I had was a random reboot once when on a call, but that only occurred the one time.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Buggy in what way? There are issues for sure but nothing that stops me using the device.

The only issue I had was a random reboot once when on a call, but that only occurred the one time.

1. web pages sometime decide not to load even though i have good connection and the load is not progressive so even if 99% of the page went quickly and it's stuck on the 1%, I still can't see anything but a blank page and i have to wait for it to load the remaining 1%. if the page refreshes for some buggy reason (and that happens a lot) - i have to wait Again until the page loads even though it already loaded it seconds ago.
    2. most annoying: calender sometimes decide to not show meetings! they are visible in the weekly view but not in the daily view. so i know which times i'm busy but not exactly what it is that i'm supposed to do...
    3. bluetooth is Noisy when wifi is on
    4. sometimes camera app stops saving pictures! it takes them but doesn't save them. i have to reset the device to solve this and lose whatever pics i thought i took...

all those things and more are bugs in the OS, no doctoring will help them.
    Last edited by alonhzn; 05/11/2013 at 02:26 PM.
    1. Web browsers are like that. In WebKit, the last few % is "all the images", almost always. AT&T's internet service, frankly, sucks, but it's about a bajillion times better than T-Mobile.

2-4: have never heard of those or seen them in my own usage, and my family is using 2.2.4 on a Pre+, a Pre2, and a Pre3.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    It really depends on how you use your device. For instance, I use my google calender with 5 other "shared" calenders and when i lose connection to the internet problems sometimes start with some of the calendars... Bluetooth on pre3 is known to make crackling noise every 1min or so due to wifi searching for network (disabling wifi solves this) ... all in all some are luckier than others! if you check threads like Report Pre3 bugs here you will see that there are many issues out there.
    And about the web browser - I'm sorry but really unacceptable - even the iOS1 browser is far better (if you don't count flash)
    1. web pages sometime decide not to load even though i have good connection and the load is not progressive so even if 99% of the page went quickly and it's stuck on the 1%, I still can't see anything but a blank page and i have to wait for it to load the remaining 1%. if the page refreshes for some buggy reason (and that happens a lot) - i have to wait Again until the page loads even though it already loaded it seconds ago.
    2. most annoying: calender sometimes decide to not show meetings! they are visible in the weekly view but not in the daily view. so i know which times i'm busy but not exactly what it is that i'm supposed to do...
    3. bluetooth is Noisy when wifi is on
    4. sometimes camera app stops saving pictures! it takes them but doesn't save them. i have to reset the device to solve this and lose whatever pics i thought i took...

all those things and more are bugs in the OS, no doctoring will help them.
    1 Yup, that is true but as eblade pointed out: That's WebKit for ya.
    2 I don't use the daily view but no problems with the calendar at all. In fact, with UberCalendar installed I think this is the best calendar of all OS'es (and I've used a lot of 'em).
    3 I don't use bluetooth.
    4 Yup, I have that too sometimes but it's not fair to blame that on webOS because I also had that issue with the Motorola Razr i (which is near the end of mid-range line so really decent specs) with Android 4.0 (and later 4.1) that I had in the past couple of months.
    BTW, RumoredNow, can you comment on switching between and closing of apps in Ubuntu? is there a unified closing technique (like flicking the card away)?
    You can either invoke the HUD to close an app or, since a few days in a recent build, long-press on an open app on the APPS screen to close it.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    I put an early build on my nexus 7, was not all that impressed. They don't seem to mention email? If it is half decent might flash my Nexus 4...
    The early builds are definitely Alpha so lots of "meh" is to be expected... It's a chance to test out the UI and generate interest among developers and enthusiasts...

When it makes the next step forward it sounds like it will be a Beta of the phone, but the smart portion will still be in Alpha.

As for email, there is a Gmail app but it really just signs you on to the mobile site. Since this is Ubuntu they are probably thinking Thunderbird or some such. If they can't or won't get an official Gmail App with Google account integration going that would be a huge mistake for the mobile space, IMHO.

...BTW, RumoredNow, can you comment on switching between and closing of apps in Ubuntu? is there a unified closing technique (like flicking the card away)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    You can either invoke the HUD to close an app or, since a few days in a recent build, long-press on an open app on the APPS screen to close it.
    Thanks, Vistaus. I don't know how I missed that one...

So a long press on any App card on the App Page puts them all in closure mode.

Tap any card to close that app. Long press any one again to exit closure mode.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Vistaus and alonhzn like this.
    You're welcome

And FIY Ubuntu is building a native e-mail client, not based on Thunderbird