Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I think I found the next phone for me after reading this review... this is probably the only device I have seen that could get me to stop using my Pre3 daily. Now the thought of selling off some webOS hardware to maybe buy the Q10 this summer (don't think either will happen)...

    Seriously though this phone has everything I want in a phone but the OS. Hardware keyboard, gestures, great design, if only I could get inductive charging added to this thing it would be a great webOS replacement.

    BlackBerry Q10 Review | CrackBerry.com
  2. #2  
    But are you a business user? Because so far I hear everyone about the new Z10 and Q10 that it's only useful for business users and that their target is business.
  3.    #3  
    From that LOOOOONG review seems like it will fit all my needs. And the app market can't be worse than webOS and if I can sideload Android apps that pretty much covers the rest. Most of the webOS app devs I support are now making Android of BB variants of their apps. Also App World has non-business use apps already in it.

    My primary uses for my phone is communication (SMS, email and a lil talking), social media (FB and twitter), web browsing, podcast listening. The communication aspect makes me want a physical keyboard real bad and the Q10 seems to be a good fit for all of that while maintaining lots of webOS like abilities.
    ananimus likes this.
  4. #4  
    I didn't say that they don't have non-business apps, of course they have. Stuff like Angry Birds and Twitter official client (which isn't handy for business use) is there. But a lot of people are telling me that the Z10 and Q10 are only useful if you're a business user. Since I didn't do much else than a play a little bit with it (app store wasn't activated on the demo unit) I dunno if that's true but that's what I hear from people.
  5.    #5  
    I wouldn't say that's any more true about any other device.... So far BB doesn't seem locked down like apple, and has a factory reset like webOS. Honestly don't see why anyone would say that, especially with the Z10 being a slab. RIM in the past has been geared towards business, I believe now they are geared towards the business world where it is bring your own phone. They have a pretty high end spec slab, and now what I want a high end physical keyboard.

    Nothing about the devices or OS says anything about geared to business to me (unless your business is still exclusively BB). In the enterprise level, from what I have seen they are trying to do what Palm/HP/webOS was trying to do for enterprise and consumer but Palm go Apothekered. BB is trying to make an OS that can be locked down by IT, or be open to the consumer that is not issued a device. BB may be fighting a losing fight in the market, but if they can keep moving forward, they are the only one with a physical keyboard high end spec phone.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    So I think I found the next phone for me after reading this review... this is probably the only device I have seen that could get me to stop using my Pre3 daily. Now the thought of selling off some webOS hardware to maybe buy the Q10 this summer (don't think either will happen)...

    Seriously though this phone has everything I want in a phone but the OS. Hardware keyboard, gestures, great design, if only I could get inductive charging added to this thing it would be a great webOS replacement.

    BlackBerry Q10 Review | CrackBerry.com
    Actually at&t is doing a promo on there trade in program so if your willing to sign a 2 year contract you could probably get one at a lower price. The promo now is if you have a phone newer then 3 years old and is in good working order you will get a minimum of a $100 promo card. I believe the promo is limits you to one trade in but the standard trade in is limited to 5 in i think 20 months.
    I have 2 Blackberry tours that I mistakenly (No BIS on straighttalk) bought on a whim for $45 each, they are older then 3 years but the site values them at $100 a peice.

    http://www.wpcentral.com post on it

    AT&T press release

    But does require a AT&T account for the trade in so I be using a friend.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T


    LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  7. #7  
    @OldSkool: Slightly offtopic but Motorola is coming with the Droid 5 this year. While I don't like Android, it's at least another high-end phone with a physical keyboard.

    Anyway, thanks for the explanation. As I only fiddled around a little bit with the Z10 in store and watched a few reviews I couldn't really make up my mind what they were aiming at. So naturally, I took people's opinions. Guess I was wrong, they really are aiming at casual users too if I hear your opinion. That's good. Still, I'll hold onto my Pre 3 but maybe in the future... as long as they keep it this way though because I'm a regular, heavy social media user without a job (and my future job doesn't need a business phone) so...
  8.    #8  
    yeah but isn't that a vzw w/ global roaming gsm? Plus no user replaceable battery if its like the 4.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    yeah but isn't that a vzw w/ global roaming gsm? Plus no user replaceable battery if its like the 4.
    It's gonna be VZW since they own the Droid brand but just like the 4, M and HD it supports multiple frequencies. Indeed no user replaceable battery but that doesn't make it less high-end or less keyboard-ish.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Plus no user replaceable battery if its like the 4.
    Sorry man, but this is quickly becoming the overwhelming norm.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Sorry man, but this is quickly becoming the overwhelming norm.
    Which doesn't make it less desirable.
    And if not replaceable, then it should at least have a descent working inductive charging puck
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Sorry man, but this is quickly becoming the overwhelming norm.
    Which sucks
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Sorry man, but this is quickly becoming the overwhelming norm.
    Oh I know, just another plus for the Q10 (or even Z10)... not to mention the Q10 comes with a massive battery from the factory (2100 MAH for any that don't know). The VZW part already makes it less desirable for me, every time I have priced plans VZW is most expensive for our needs, and would render all our GSM devices useless.
  14. paccoli's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    So I think I found the next phone for me after reading this review... this is probably the only device I have seen that could get me to stop using my Pre3 daily. Now the thought of selling off some webOS hardware to maybe buy the Q10 this summer (don't think either will happen)...

    Seriously though this phone has everything I want in a phone but the OS. Hardware keyboard, gestures, great design, if only I could get inductive charging added to this thing it would be a great webOS replacement.

    BlackBerry Q10 Review | CrackBerry.com
    OldSkoolVWLover,
    I could not have worded it better. Thats exactly what i was thinking too. The other thing thad made me contemplate the Q10 is the large battery, so if you should decide to disable data connection when one doth not need it, we should actually be able to get a battery life better than about 9h like some of the other recent phones out there.
    If I did that on my Pre+ or Pre3 I could get a good 2 days out of them and still have some reserve left. switch 3G on and you are down before dinner time.
    My first ever phone had a standby time of 270h, that usually last me about a week, not a day.
    Rant over. Hope I will be able to afford a Q10, although I am curious if there will be a slider later in the year. I actually liked the slider from the Pre's got you a wide angle screen and you only slide out the keypad if you need it. Oh and ending a call by sliding the phone shut is just an awesome feature I think :-)
  15.    #15  
    I think the next device looks to be the R10, rumored to be a Curve style device for BB10 (entry level). There is always the possibility of a portrait slider since RIM did the Torch, but I wouldn't hold my breath for one to be coming. I guess we will see once the Q10 drops in the US, R10 is rumored for Q3 or Q4 from what I've seen.

    That battery does sound awesome, almost double what I currently have available on my Mugen extended for my Pre3.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Sorry man, but this is quickly becoming the overwhelming norm.
    Maybe "we" can change that: EU directive aims to make all batteries removable, even THAT battery
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Oh I know, just another plus for the Q10 (or even Z10)... not to mention the Q10 comes with a massive battery from the factory (2100 MAH for any that don't know). The VZW part already makes it less desirable for me, every time I have priced plans VZW is most expensive for our needs, and would render all our GSM devices useless.
    Uhm, you can always pay full price for it and use it on some other network since it supports other frequencies and has both CMDA and GSM so...

    But 2100 MAh is not really big. Maybe for the form factor but not in general. Big IMHO is what the Razr Maxx and Razr HD Maxx have (2700 MAh and 3300 MAh respectively). Also, most high-end devices have around 2000 MAh these days.
  18. #18  
    I actually considered a Z10 really intensely for a while and ultimately I settled on my IPhone 4S, even though both are incredible devices. I would say that the Q10 is as close to a Palm like device than you can get and the gesture based UI is another nod to WebOS. I guess to finalize my point, get the Q10 its an awesome device that has a great modern OS.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  19. Loiter's Avatar
    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Uhm, you can always pay full price for it and use it on some other network since it supports other frequencies and has both CMDA and GSM so...

    But 2100 MAh is not really big. Maybe for the form factor but not in general. Big IMHO is what the Razr Maxx and Razr HD Maxx have (2700 MAh and 3300 MAh respectively). Also, most high-end devices have around 2000 MAh these days.
    Well, the MAh is half the truth. You can't compare the Q10 to the Note or even the Galaxy. A good comparison would be the Pre2.
    We are talking both about huge differences in screen size (which is a major battery consumption culprit) and of course differences in the OSes (and the specs behind them).
    The Z10 for example has a mediocre battery life. The Q10 under normal circumstances must have excellent battery life. It's one of its advantages. If only they would not be insane and price it at a more normal level...
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Well, the MAh is half the truth. You can't compare the Q10 to the Note or even the Galaxy. A good comparison would be the Pre2.
    We are talking both about huge differences in screen size (which is a major battery consumption culprit) and of course differences in the OSes (and the specs behind them).
    The Z10 for example has a mediocre battery life. The Q10 under normal circumstances must have excellent battery life. It's one of its advantages. If only they would not be insane and price it at a more normal level...
    Yeah that screen size should make it last a nice long while. Z10 is 99 on Amazon Wireless with new 2 year contract. Don't think Q10 will come out below 199.99 and maybe 99 on Amazon, with the R10 rumors unfortunately they have to leave themselves some room to price that at say 99 from carrier like the Veer at launch.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where is the Review from the guy(Kevin?) from Crackberry?
    By Vyruz Reaper in forum HP TouchPad
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07/16/2011, 02:40 AM
  2. The Crackberry Pre review: WOW
    By Skysurfer in forum Palm Pre and Pre Plus
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06/18/2009, 12:06 PM
  3. CrackBerry Kevin's Treo Pro Video Review..
    By Jennifer Chappell in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 01/02/2009, 12:32 PM
  4. CrackBerry Kevin's Last Look at the Tilt
    By WMExperts Articles in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11/24/2007, 01:02 PM

Posting Permissions