Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    That's like having an email client that is read-only, or a phone client that only accepts incoming calls. No offence to the dev that made it, but you're missing out on half the fun.
    Who said anything about read-only? You can comment with that app so it's not read-only. The only thing you can't do is post picures to Instagram. But since you can comment and stuff it's not read-only.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I'll check it out and even go to the store to play with it. To be honest I need a phone with at minimum stacks and touchstone and will settle for nothing less no matter how big and fast it is. Just don't care any more.

I'm satisfied with my phone, what I need is one of those new fangled convertible laptops with backlit keyboard, touch screen and don't set my #alls on fire.

By the way on the blackberry keyboard do you know if one can delete whole words at a time? Need that too
    I also confirmed (at least on the Z10) there is a swipe left to delete a word, still guessing the shift + backspace is there too
    kevets likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Ah, we have the "app support is not good enough" guy again. Sorry, don't take it
    personally, but I wish people like you would finally tell *which* apps they want support for. There are still developers left, including myself, tell us what you want.
    Ok. To take you up on your offer, can someone please trouble shoot the patch for pdf landscape, on phones. I know piscel smart office does landscape but can't set it as default pdf app.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Ok. To take you up on your offer, can someone please trouble shoot the patch for pdf landscape, on phones. I know piscel smart office does landscape but can't set it as default pdf app.
    I was actually talking apps, not patches, but maybe I'll take a look at it anyway.
    Btw, I was wrong: Crackberry had Instagram running on the Q10 in their review so it does work on the Q10.
    @Sukiyaki: AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Instagram$ $doesn$'$t$ $work$ $on$ $the$ $Q10$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $screen$ $size$. $It$ $does$ $work$ $on$ $the$ $Z10$ $though$. $And$ $if$ $you$ $want$ $Instagram$ $but$ $not$ $take$ $pictures$ $with$ $it$ $then$ $you$ $can$ $do$ $that$ $on$ $webOS$ $with$ $Instagrio$.
    Thanx. I have had instagrio for a while, but it took me forever to find a way to register. If I added myself to someones phone as a profile, it never created the account and wouldn't let me register. My niece had to redo the software on her phone so I logged in her phone as first user and was able to do it.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Ah, we have the "app support is not good enough" guy again. Sorry, don't take it personally, but I wish people like you would finally tell *which* apps they want support for. There are still developers left, including myself, tell us what you want.
    I am not saying that there is not an app that I "NEED" but well there are some games and stuff that I would "WANT" and thats exactly the problem. I am more than happy with all I have, but sometimes it would be nice if you see an App that is interesting you could just launch the AppCatalog and find it.

Its more a thing of trying to get an 'dead' ecosystem to compete with droid,ios,wp7/8 and bb. It is not about that there are any Apps that you seriously NEED cause the only thing you need from an phone is to be able to call and send messages and if but only if you are a businessman you might need an email client + all that business whatever stuff like vpns etc. .
    Quote Originally Posted by krushaaa View Post
    I am not saying that there is not an app that I "NEED" but well there are some games and stuff that I would "WANT" and thats exactly the problem. I am more than happy with all I have, but sometimes it would be nice if you see an App that is interesting you could just launch the AppCatalog and find it.

Its more a thing of trying to get an 'dead' ecosystem to compete with droid,ios,wp7/8 and bb. It is not about that there are any Apps that you seriously NEED cause the only thing you need from an phone is to be able to call and send messages and if but only if you are a businessman you might need an email client + all that business whatever stuff like vpns etc. .
    But again: what is needed then? You just want some random b*ll**** apps appearing on the App Catalog just so it counts for the statistics? Yeah, that'll surely help!!!
    While I don't find it as fluid, or as good, as webOS, BB10 is the closest alternative at this point. I have owned a variant of every webOS device on the market, and a few others, over the last 4 years. I also have a PlayBook, and a Z10. The Hub is different, but many will see similarities to Synergy. The cards and swipe up are not as fluid as on webOS, but it again will be familiar. I am currently running a leaked version of 10.1 and Type and Go is very much like Just Type and Quick Actions. Your main "app drawer" is also in a familiar layout of swiping left to right.

Now, with all that said, it is similar in many ways, but I just don't feel as productive as I did on webOS. The flow of the OS doesn't seem to be on par with what Palm built IMAO. I'm really torn on BB10 to be perfectly honest. I like it, but I keep coming to the conclusion that it frustrates me by not being webOS.
    To me, it is. I'm currently a Pre3 user. Having played with the Z10 I must say I'm truly impressed. The hub is equivalent to notifications + synergy. The use of gestures and multitasking is as intuitive. The UI is beautiful. Even though these features may not be quite as good as WebOS, it's definitely the second best, and is acceptable to me, comparing to Android which has ugly UI (personal opinion) or iOS which has dumb user experience (again, personal opinion).
    Other than that, BB10 in many ways are far better than WebOS. Firstly, the virtual keyboard on Z10 is incredible, so easy to type on that I can almost blind type with it. I'd say it's 95% as good as a physical keyboard. Definitely the best VKB out there! Overall, BB10 is a better dedicated OS, comparing to the abandoned WebOS (sad).
    I'd totally go with Q10 as my next phone.
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Funny I am hearing so much about the Z10 VKB, just after so many Android users tout the greatness that is swype or whatever other add-on KB, I am hearing nothing but praise about BBs solution.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Funny I am hearing so much about the Z10 VKB, just after so many Android users tout the greatness that is swype or whatever other add-on KB, I am hearing nothing but praise about BBs solution.
    It's crazy. If I want to do the fast typing thing I can usually just mash on the keyboard like a gorilla with my thumbs and it figures out what I'm trying to say with great accuracy. Or at times when I'm using it one handed holding a kid with the other, I can tap a letter or two and then swipe words up into my message that appear using their predictive word pop up dealies. I find it's a good implementation of each, and you don't have to look like a teenager swiping all over your keyboard to spell a word (no offense, teenagers out there).

If the rumors are true, BB10 will see an update to include the new Android runtime that will bring it to 4.1 levels, and that will make sideloading Android apps a bit more interesting indeed. I like what they are doing. Now they just need to get the balls to do a portrait slider again and really raise some eyebrows...
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    And they need to get their balls into native development. I mean, the core apps are really nice but most 3rd party apps (the non-Android apps) don't even follow the HIG.
    But again: what is needed then? You just want some random b*ll**** apps appearing on the App Catalog just so it counts for the statistics? Yeah, that'll surely help!!!
    No no you don't get it, well lets see I would love to have viber, dropbox, a pdf-reader that actually does not crash, that brand/flag guessing game and someother apps that do not come to mind now.
    But I can happily live without them, its just like mojowhatsapp I love having it but I do not need it.
    PDF reader that doesn't crash: Picsel Smart Office but that costs some money
    Dropbox: Dropboxify and Dropboxify HD

But I'll admit that a better PDF reader is needed (and possibly a supported Dropbox app).

But what you don't get is that you can scream all you want about not having enough apps but how can one create apps if one does not know what's needed? That's why I made the argument about "bull****" apps. I understand that you may not have specific apps you want but you gotta understand that as a developer, it's hard to create something that's needed if no one tells you what's needed.
    As a regular user of webOS. Touchpads and pre2 / pre3 phones, I will miss them when they finally fail,
    I looked for replacement tablet / phone, as I wanted to use them occasionally and I went for BlackBerry
    Playbook and Z10, Tablet and phone, they work ok, as nothing else currently available interests me,
    Apple / Android etc tried them no thanks, and sadly webOS. Is slowly fading away,
    I am a Nokia N9 MEEGO / N900 Meamo / N8 Symbian owner/ user, so used to having abandoned OS,
    Every new system uses parts of other ones. And the sailfish from jolla might be worth a look as it will resemble
    Meego, a system I use in parallel to webOS, if someone released a webOS. Phone/ Tablet. I would buy,
    So we have to move on and Z10 /PLAYBOOK. Are my daily devices, and use webOS / Meego occasionally
    to remind me of two great systems that did not survive.
    PDF reader that doesn't crash: Picsel Smart Office but that costs some money
    Dropbox: Dropboxify and Dropboxify HD

But I'll admit that a better PDF reader is needed (and possibly a supported Dropbox app).

But what you don't get is that you can scream all you want about not having enough apps but how can one create apps if one does not know what's needed? That's why I made the argument about "bull****" apps. I understand that you may not have specific apps you want but you gotta understand that as a developer, it's hard to create something that's needed if no one tells you what's needed.
    Well I did not know about Picsel Smart Office. Does Dropboxify allow on device storage sync (I do not know if any moblie Dropbox App allows this)?

Believe me I do understand that it is not easy to do dev work without clues. But I never wanted to offend any webOS dev I was just saying that the "eco-system" is "dieing/dead" but that is not really the switching reason it just is an less important extra.

I hope you understand what I mean..
    Yup, Dropboxify allows that.

And you didn't offend me, I was a bit frustrated because you were like the 10th one in a very short time who was telling the app catalog was dying without saying what was needed to make the app selection better.
    Did you miss the recent threads saying the dropbox apps weren't working anymore? Don't know if it's affecting everybody, but I have seen a number of people reporting the same experience.

As for reporting which apps are needed/wanted.. there have been many "we need x app" list threads on here, that shouldn't be very hard to find. You are defending the app catalog a bit too enthusiastically (IMO - don't jump on me). The situation sucks if you "need" apps. Eh, it sucks anyway for me, because I can't use mine for work anymore. It really is bleak. I LOVE webOS, but I'm a realist. I'm not afraid to admit the shortcomings, and have done so since I jumped on board in 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    it sucks anyway for me, because I can't use mine for work anymore.
    Exchange policies locking it out now? I didn't realize it was that bad now. You must have some security nazi Exchange admins there!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast