Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I still use my Pre3 on ATT. I still use my Touchpad daily, using it right now to post this. However, I'm at my wits end. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.
    I have tried both Android and Apple and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with an ice pick than use them as is, but there seem to be many ways to make them almost act like webOS.
    What's the least departure from webOS I can get?
    Blackberry Z10? A giant Samsung with some webOS infusion? Iphone sprinkled with webOS? Are any of the others worth a try? Or should I try one of the webOS ports?
    Arrrrrgggghhh. I'm frustrated. LG WTF?????
    dkirker likes this.
    why you want a new phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by kledanhoj View Post
    I still use my Pre3 on ATT. I still use my Touchpad daily, using it right now to post this. However, I'm at my wits end. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.
    I have tried both Android and Apple and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with an ice pick than use them as is, but there seem to be many ways to make them almost act like webOS.
    What's the least departure from webOS I can get?
    Blackberry Z10? A giant Samsung with some webOS infusion? Iphone sprinkled with webOS? Are any of the others worth a try? Or should I try one of the webOS ports?
    Arrrrrgggghhh. I'm frustrated. LG WTF?????
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    why you want a new phone?
    i agree, is there something missing or needed you require? or is your phone damaged/faulty?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  4.    #4  
    Doesn't everyone? Technology keeps moving. Why would you not want to take advantage of cool new hardware?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I have been struggling with the same situation the past couple of months. I have been with webOS for just over 2 years and the past few months I have had the itch for *something* I bought a cheap iPhone 4 and after a couple weeks I was back to switching between my veer and pre 3.
    That was going good until a week or two ago when I had that feeling come back, I just wanted something. I ended up picking up a used Lumia 820 and so far I am loving it. It doesn't feel much like webOS but it's the first time I have felt excited about a phone since I first found webOS 2 years ago. iOS is a bit boring, I can't stand Android and with the new Blackberries just barely coming out I figured the only cheap option I has was WP8. It's a nice OS with great hardware, not tons of apps, but way more then webOS and more on the way, it's a big departure from the iOS/Android/and even webOS way of interacting with a phone but refreshing IMO.
    I'm a day one Pre user who a few months ago went the FrankenPre 2 route on Sprint (Pre touch screen stopped working). After reading a few reviews of the HTC One, I just pre-ordered it on Sprint tonight. My FrankenPre 2 was working ok but I just feel its time to move on. Four years is a long time to stay on dated hardware and on software that hasnt been updated in years. Getting a little excite to get the One, looks like great hardware design. It was kind of an impulse buy. Hope I like it

(to proper forum)
    Ide say the Z10, but I loved my Pre 3 keyboard somI would even c onsider waiting for the Q10
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
    Doesn't everyone? Technology keeps moving. Why would you not want to take advantage of cool new hardware?
    Well then just try them and see which one you like. Pick the one that does the things you do the most the best. No use asking opinions you'll just get more confused.
    ... I'd rather stab myself in the eye with an ice pick than ...
    Nice analogy. As one of the rare (1/1000) people that suffer from Cluster Headaches, I will most assuredly say that is a bit of an stretch. They feel exactly like that, except imagine they are red hot, and then they twist and turn, and then they go right through the back of your head, and no pain killer of any magnitude stops the pain (which is considered the most extreme pain a person can endure, hence the nickname suicide headaches), and they hit you like clockwork.

Just went through a cycle of them over the last 6 weeks (over 70 headaches), not fun by any means.

Anyway, I'm not looking for sympathy or anything of that nature I just found your "I'd rather..." a little on the humorous side

There's an article on how to make iOS more webOS like, and there's various ways to do the same with Android. You should figure out what it is you want with your phone. What features do you find compelling, and/or necessary....
    Removable battery
    External/internal storage
    Camera
    Durability
    Battery life <--- if you use your phone as much as I do, most phones aren't that great with a few exceptions. I work out of a truck, so in reality, it has no impact on me what the life is, I have an external batt pack as well
    Specific apps you may be looking for, want or need.
    Size of phone....sure they're all big now, but there are a few options. I found my SGS3 a little on the big side at first, I don't even notice that much anymore.

My advice is do some research. Read some reviews. Go to a store and try out some demos.

Prepare yourself in advance that IF you do change your hardware and go to another OS, that you will have to re-train yourself in how to use your phone. Go into it with an positive, open mind, and you may find you will have greater success with adapting.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    The BlackBerry Z10 is one of the phones I've been most excited about in a while simply due to the native gesture support. You wake it up with a swipe, you get into your "hub" (e-mails, text messaging, bbm, facebook and twitter messages, linked in, etc.) with a gesture, it's pretty great. The virtual keyboard is much better than I expected and I'd probably say it's the best non-physical keyboard I've personally used on a smartphone, and I've tried them all. The issue is you're still going with an underdog OS, so there's still not a ton of third party support, though BlackBerry is trying very hard to change that. You also have some flexibility because you can sideload Android apps to it.

Windows Phone was also a lot of fun for me to pick up, mostly just due to how different it is from the rest. Your personalized home screen does give you a good amount of information at a glance and it's very fast and fluid. Pressing and holding the back button brings up a card like interface for multitasking but they're not live windows like webOS and you can't swipe them away. They too are an underdog OS though more and more developer support seems to be coming as Microsoft keeps throwing money at it.

Android & iOS are of course the big boys in the smartphone race, with very different philosophies. If you're looking to make your phone look the most like webOS, then Android will definitely be easier to accomplish this one. You can download a custom launcher with a webOS theme, and there's even something called wave launcher which mimics the wave on webOS. Android has more flexibility for customization so you can tweak things a bit more, which is nice if you're used to the homebrew community. iOS is of course much more strict, but a jailbreak can help take care of that. There are tweaks you can install on a jailbroken phone to enable gesture support. Theming is available as well with Winterboard.

As you can see you could probably make do with any of the above, you just have to decide what's most important to you. You could even really live on the edge and pick up a nexus 4 or galaxy nexus and load mobile Ubuntu on it for another gesture centric OS. I doubt that's ready to be a daily driver though.

Good luck!

Not really sure if I linked the video correctly but either copy/paste the link above or search paranoid android 3.0 rom on youtube. The pie controls look like the best gesture replacement as of right now. You can also download LMT launcher for more pie options. Both require a rooted phone. There is a wave launcher for android as well but it works better honestly.
    Until those nutjob phone makers finally realize there is a market for a decent QWERTY phone, I don't think my Pre 3 is going anywhere. BlackBerry cancelled the Milan (supposedly Torch successor), so I'm SOL here.

I wouldn't mind giving the Q10 a try but a vertical slider is more of my cup of tea. People only dislike them because there are inherently thick, and all they want are oversized thin phones, which I find awkward to hold.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    dkirker likes this.
    Man, these threads pop up more than any other.

But no worries, OP. I just went through this a couple months ago. After scrutinizing over everything out there I landed back on sticking with webOS. Just switched to a GSM carrier and snagged a Pre 3.

It's not even just the keyboard and software, it's the stupidly large phones! Almost no one makes a good flagship that's pocketable. The Galaxy S3 Mini might be the exception.

Anyway, yeah... I figure why torture yourself. Like geekpeter asked, why do you really want something new? Eventually I looked at my Pre 2 and realized, "This does what I want. I like the hardware. What else do I really want or need that's not just some stupid distraction that will cost me more money?"
    Last edited by ananimus; 04/07/2013 at 09:21 PM.
    jccjmml7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post

Anyway, yeah... I figure why torture yourself. Like geekpeter asked, why do you really want something new? Eventually I looked at my Pre 2 and realized, "This does what I want. I like the hardware. What else do I really want or need that's not just some stupid distraction that will cost me more money?"
    I couldn't agree more!

Spent 6 months jacking around with Android......now it feels like wasted time. Fastboot this>>Flash that>>Work out the bugs because some teenage developer forgot to bake a critical component into his ROM while he was doing his Math homework..... I just sold my XT912 RAZR so I can buy a Pre 3.

I feel a bit like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite.....can't get past webOS and 80s music....so sue me.
    ananimus likes this.
    What technology advancement is it that you lust after so much. Cameras? Screens? For me the most important thing I use my phone for other than phone calls is email first and texting second, and to me my pre2 does those things better than any other phone. Especially with cards and stacks and sconix advanced patches.

Edit. I forgot to big up GmMan for fixing a major annoyance with his cycle email patch. You know I am very lazy, I have my phone on touchstone and I just roll over and look at my pre2 and see what new emails came in without having to do squat. I am exactly where I want to be

and I see no reason to get rid of my 2003 mustang to get a new car. I am just weird like that
    Last edited by laingman; 04/08/2013 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Man, these threads pop up more than any other.

But no worries, OP. I just went through this a couple months ago. After scrutinizing over everything out there I landed back on sticking with webOS. Just switched to a GSM carrier and snagged a Pre 3.
    I have been asking the same questions as the original poster(this couple of months when I get my tax return money soon), should I consider staying in my own comfort zone or move on to newer richer platform with developer support and software updates. When you really look at it, sure my Pre 2 device seems like it's current out there it has Wifi/bluetooth/wireless charging among other standard features that's manufacturing are copying from Palm. However, looking at bigger picture there's no official support from either LG/HP/WebOS Team and developers look at WebOS like its a contagious disease that they don't want to get near to it. And components from WebOS like the browser breaks apart and apps stops working, so it makes you think alot of things.....

I have been a decent WebOS supporter(here and there) making small donations whenever I can afford it to the WebOSPorts team, but as more developers like Garrett92C leaves to an Android OS makes anyone wander if it's really worthy staying on WebOS and buy old hardware like Pre 3(like I'm planning to do)...or cross over to the dark side and simply forget of WebOS.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I have been asking the same questions as the original poster(this couple of months when I get my tax return money soon), should I consider staying in my own comfort zone or move on to newer richer platform with developer support and software updates. When you really look at it, sure my Pre 2 device seems like it's current out there it has Wifi/bluetooth/wireless charging among other standard features that's manufacturing are copying from Palm. However, looking at bigger picture there's no official support from either LG/HP/WebOS Team and developers look at WebOS like its a contagious disease that they don't want to get near to it. And components from WebOS like the browser breaks apart and apps stops working, so it makes you think alot of things.....

I have been a decent WebOS supporter(here and there) making small donations whenever I can afford it to the WebOSPorts team, but as more developers like Garrett92C leaves to an Android OS makes anyone wander if it's really worthy staying on WebOS and buy old hardware like Pre 3(like I'm planning to do)...or cross over to the dark side and simply forget of WebOS.
    Well some people need more than the basics and If you do then you should probly switch. For example bank mobil sites work well but they dont allow you to deposit checks with your phone.

And add to that not only has there been no new apps of any significance, but there hasn't been much on the homebrew front. Like email is important to me but god forbid I get a pdf attachment. PDF lanscape is a problem and no one with the talent to fix it seems to be working on it
    I'm actually surprised to see this discussion still going on over here. I left two years ago and the same discussion was going on then.

I would like to offer anyone answers to any questions they have about a switch to android or iPhone. I have both currently as my work provides an iPhone and I have android for personal use.

I've used two android devices, a nexus and an HTC device (current), so I know both sides of the hacking world on android.

And I've been in both Verizon and Sprint with android and ios.

I really am tempted to grab a pre3 and try it out for a while now that I'm on Verizon and they are so cheap. Has anything changed since I left 2 years ago?

Sent from my s-off Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I'm actually surprised to see this discussion still going on over here. I left two years ago and the same discussion was going on then.

That just goes to show you how much some of us love webOS. I figured something would have come to the table in another operating system that would just make me inherently jump ship.......just not the case yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast