Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By midmofan
  1.    #1  
    Ok, looks like a great phone, but can't help one of the things they are touting is that you can hook up the S4 to a computer and BACK UP EVERYTHING ON THE PHONE!

"Samsung Smart Switch-- download on your PC, connect your old phone, and then connect the S4. Everything will be transferred from your old phone."

hmmmm, wonder who might have a patent on that????
    I'm still trying to get a grasp on everything else that happened in that press, uh, event. That was bizarre, even for Samsung!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Strangest event I've ever watched. I'm dumbfounded - an d I only witnessed the stream.
    It was the opposite of cool. Cringeworthy.
  5.    #5  
    Ah, see the post has been moved. The reason I put it in the general forum (and not the other OS/device forum) is because it was not really about the S4 it was about how Palm was the one that invented syncing and backing up things on a mobile device to a computer with the "palm desktop" software.

The interesting thing is that this "syncing" was not something that was really planned as a feature, it was a necessity back in the original palm days when you had to replace the AAA batteries. All data would be lost when the batteries were removed (or if you let them run down totally) so they needed a solution to save everything on the device when the batteries were replaced that you could then restore onto the phone. It was also used to transfer everything to a new phone when you switched.

What was originally a "work-around" became one of the core features and now, about 17 years later, Samsung announces their NEW feature.
    Last edited by midmofan; 03/15/2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Remy X, treodoc755 and scjjtt like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Ok, looks like a great phone, but can't help one of the things they are touting is that you can hook up the S4 to a computer and BACK UP EVERYTHING ON THE PHONE!

"Samsung Smart Switch-- download on your PC, connect your old phone, and then connect the S4. Everything will be transferred from your old phone."

hmmmm, wonder who might have a patent on that????
    Well I could do this on my old Nokia symbian phones years ago....So is the answer Nokia?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Strangest event I've ever watched. I'm dumbfounded - an d I only witnessed the stream.
    Yeah that was bizzare, but at least they put the bucks into promoting their products unlike, well, you know...
    Quote Originally Posted by joerice50 View Post
    Well I could do this on my old Nokia symbian phones years ago....So is the answer Nokia?
    I believe the answer is palm with the palm PDAs, they released desktop software. I believe it was before Nokia's desktop software but nokia's was still earlier then almost everyone else besides palm.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Haha, watching the first couple of minutes... so many awkward silences and NO CHEERING! They could of at least punched up the crowd noise a bit. Seems like the audience members are being held hostage and instructed at gunpoint to when to cheer.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    That whole event..was weird...
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This isn't desktop software in the way that Palm desktop was, it seems to be a one-time transfer solution.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I dunno about Kies. But they were talking about some S-branded 1 TB home storage device that was NFC-equipped, too, so you could transfer stuff straight to back up. Did that include contacts though? Maybe it was unrelated.

Could really care less about the S4, though. Some of their new software tricks were pretty neat, but as soon as I saw it was even bigger than the S3 (and with no Mini version announced), I really didn't give a flying . Sure was a weird show, though. Like, "Samsung weird."
    This is one I had been seriously considering.
    But I just don't see anything that I can say; 'Now that's an upgrade!'
    I know my thunderbolt is old, but when I got it, to me it was a substantial upgrade.
    I guess it's back to researching again.
    Just call me Berd.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    This is one I had been seriously considering.
    But I just don't see anything that I can say; 'Now that's an upgrade!'
    I know my thunderbolt is old, but when I got it, to me it was a substantial upgrade.
    I guess it's back to researching again.
    Lots of good deals on note 2 and for us palm types, you get a stylus

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Lots of good deals on note 2 and for us palm types, you get a stylus

But you need a pocket big enough to hold it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    But you need a pocket big enough to hold it.
    Actually fits fine in pocket.

I was actually in my local VZ store yesterday and got my white Z10 preorder in. I wanted to give the other phones a try and tried holding the GS3, Note 2 and DNA - some other phones I was considering. Just couldn't get excited about any of them, and I've never been crazy about Android.

Excited to check out the gestures on the Z10 and see how that all works out. Curve 8830 was my phone before I started my webOS addiction. A 'kitchen sink' phone like the S4 is not really what I'm looking for, and I really do not want the huge screens. The only one that felt nice size-wise to me was the Moto Razr M, but the rest of the specs didn't really do much for me. Looking at the Z10 it's roughly the same size as the Razr M which I think may be the sweet spot between a mobile tablet (5" and up screens) and a smartphone. We'll see how things go with the BB when it comes in. If worst comes to worst, I'll re-doctor my Pre 3 and start using it again. It will be nice to have a modern handset with LTE and 2GB RAM.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html