Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    I've been looking into possibly dual booting Ubuntu phone & a ROM of Android onto my Nexus 4. Hopefully it is possible, because Android is chock full of Apps. And Ubuntu phone looks like a great OS for most of my phone time, when I don't need all those Apps. (That's the way I used my TP, 90% webOS & on occasion CM9 was there when I needed it. Too bad my hardware failed :-( Oh well.)
  2.    #102  
    The public release of Ubuntu Touch for Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 phones is coming!!!

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    (ACL for TouchPad joke here.)

Seriously, your final eval in video form would be infinitely appreciated!
    just watched your last video and i think the leftedge quick app bar needs some wave-launcher makeover to more easiely launch apps. but would not work together with same gesture to switch to homescreen then, i assume.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    (ACL for TouchPad joke here.)

Seriously, your final eval in video form would be infinitely appreciated!
    I'm on my 2 days off again and this round I don't have anything happening that forces me to ensure my comm is 100% without question. I've got the SIM back in the UT-N4 for another long trial.

I'll be downloading and installing an OTA update to track advances/changes. I've not been successful doing OTA via WiFi, only with cellular data...

I'll try to get another evaluation filmed tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    just watched your last video and i think the leftedge quick app bar needs some wave-launcher makeover to more easiely launch apps. but would not work together with same gesture to switch to homescreen then, i assume.
    I agree, the Unity Launcher needs some work to say the least. It has been more slick and responsive in earlier builds and I'm sure it's getting repolished after the move to image based builds. And it never was as liquidy smooth and fast as Wave Launcher.

Every side gets 2 gestures though - a long and a short - so Unity has it's place firmly seated where it is now.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I want it to be ready for TouchPad. Can you imagine it?! A full, great Linux (IMO Android is a "bad" distribution of it) tablet with the power of what's new and opensource on the market (UT) and the grandeur of what's old but totally worth of respect (webOS).
    Pre 2 (16 GB, dismissed), Pre 3 (8 GB, dismissed), Wi-Fi TouchPad (32 GB). Moved to Android (Nexus 5) in late 2014.
    Flashed UT onto my GNex4 last night with the command
    phablet-flash ubuntu-system --channel devel --no-backup
    I have no idea if this was the best image to flash, as a lot of things seem not be working as expected. It is also a "read-only" image, which means I cannot use syncevolution to push my Google contacts to the phone.

I will be back with more updates as I learn more about the system.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Impressions so far.
    What works:
    Making/receiving calls
    Send/receiving text messages
    Wifi
    Mobile data
    Camera
    Proximity sensor

What doesn't work:
    Bluetooth (phone is unable to find any BT devices)
    Contacts sync
    Calendar sync
    Google account (only progress wheel and "Loading...")

The system feels rather sluggish and the screen fairly unresponsive at times. Frequent app crashes or white screens instead of app. Language support still limited and no Swedish keyboard. I haven't found a way to minimize the keyboard while in an app, without leaving and reentering the app. There are some odd behaviours here and there, but despite the "bleeding edge" problems it is refreshing to be on a new platform instead of Android...
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    Flashed UT onto my GNex4 last night with the command
    phablet-flash ubuntu-system --channel devel --no-backup
    I have no idea if this was the best image to flash, as a lot of things seem not be working as expected. It is also a "read-only" image, which means I cannot use syncevolution to push my Google contacts to the phone.

I will be back with more updates as I learn more about the system.
    I'd recommend a new flash and starting over from scratch
    Code:
    phablet-flash ubuntu-image --channel saucy -b
    phablet-flash (mandatory)
    ubuntu-image (latest read-only image with OTA update capability, these are the builds that will go public)
    --channel saucy (most recent image to pass quality control)
    -b (add bootstrap: this should always be done on a first install: use --no backup if you want to erase all your personal data and settings: leave this whole condition out after first flash if needed, but you will probably use OTA after this point)

The channel you used (--channel devel) is a raw feed of untested code for debugging.

You can adb shell in from terminal on your Ubuntu Box and remount the file system as read-write for that terminal session
    Code:
    adb shell
    mount /dev/loop0 / -o remount,rw
    I find it easier to open terminal on the device and remount as a read-write for that terminal session
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/loop0/ -o remount, rw
    Then
    Code:
    syncevolution --configure --sync-property username=yourdesiredaccount@gmail.com --sync-property password=thataccountspsswrd Google_Contacts
    syncevolution --sync refresh-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook
    Syncevolution is onboard the image already. Insert your username and password into the formula as appropriate. I don't use the quotation marks (") that are listed in the stock instructions {"username=email@gmail.com"} as it always caused a fail for me, though others say they are needed???

Haven't gotten Calender or any other service to sync yet. Not all my contacts come over either. Not sure why... It's not more than 50. Just a couple are missing, no big deal to copy them by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    Impressions so far.
    What works:
    Making/receiving calls
    Send/receiving text messages
    Wifi
    Mobile data
    Camera
    Proximity sensor

What doesn't work:
    Bluetooth (phone is unable to find any BT devices)
    Contacts sync
    Calendar sync
    Google account (only progress wheel and "Loading...")

The system feels rather sluggish and the screen fairly unresponsive at times. Frequent app crashes or white screens instead of app. Language support still limited and no Swedish keyboard. I haven't found a way to minimize the keyboard while in an app, without leaving and reentering the app. There are some odd behaviours here and there, but despite the "bleeding edge" problems it is refreshing to be on a new platform instead of Android...
    Under --channel saucy a lot of the rough behavior might get solved...

As for OTA updates...
    It always fails for me over WiFi with an error on the install stating nothing was downloaded after I saw it download hundreds of megabytes. It succeeds over cellular data. Hopefully you have unlimited data or they get WiFi OTA working.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Thanks RumoredNow. I have reflashed my phone and it seems a little snappier. I didn't succed in pushing any google contacts to the device though "[INFO] addressbook: backend failed".

I am a bit surprised though, that it seems quite far away from a stable 1.0 release expected in less than two days. Bluetooth still doesn't work. It has already "hanged" on me with a white screen. Alarms in the clock app don't seem to work. Limited language and keyboard availability. Not to speak of e-mail - only Gmail???

Developers have their work cut out if they are going to release a stable system by Thursday.

I am, however, not giving up and I will do further testing in the coming days awaiting the 1.0 release.

Thanks for your help and updates!
    Last edited by tomoqv; 10/15/2013 at 05:17 PM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  11.    #111  
    Oh, BTW... When the Virtual Keyboard is onscreen - swipe downward from the top edge of the keyboard to dismiss it.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Oh, BTW... When the Virtual Keyboard is onscreen - swipe downward from the top edge of the keyboard to dismiss it.
    Yep, I found that out :-). OTA update to ver 99 yesterday and some application updates as well. I can say that things are improving, but there is still much to wish for in future updates.

GMail works now, but won't let me log in to any other account than the first one I set up.
    Managed to sync most of (if not all of my contacts) from Google by entering the syncevolution commands in the terminal app on the device. Find the contacts app rather unpolished, though. Especially when it comes to sorting and searching contacts.
    Bluetooth still refuses to recognize any other BT units.
    Battery drain for me in the past 24 hours has been between 5-10% per hour. It was actually a lot better on the "devel" build I installed first.
    I would like to see much more settings options througout the different apps. There is relatively little that you can change at the moment.
    I haven't even started using the address book. Tried it out, but I think the layout needs some work and as long as I can't sync my events, it is going to be pretty useless.
    Still have the weird Clock app bug, whereas I can't set any alarms. Save does nothing and clicking on the text field where you enter the name of the alarm gets hidden behind the onscreen keyboard. Other than that, clock seems to work fine.
    The browser is pretty OK so far. Renders most pages relatively fast. I have found some pages that it won't render at all and some mobile web sites occupy only a small strip in the middle of the browser. Would be nice, also, to have some kind of swiping action to switch between tabs.
    I have tried to log into Facebook, but the authorization code that use to arrive via SMS never shows up, so kind of stuck there.

All in all, I like it, but the OS really needs some polishing - and MORE APPS! Definitely worth trying, if you like me don't fancy Android that much.

Cheers!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I'd recommend a new flash and starting over from scratch
    Code:
    phablet-flash ubuntu-image --channel saucy -b
    The official release states the following command to install Ubuntu Touch on a phone:
    Code:
    phablet-flash ubuntu-system --no-backup
    I wonder if I, after the OTA update to r100, is on the same build or do I have to flash the system once again?
  14.    #114  
    My last version was 96... Getting v100 now.

This should be the same as public release Beta. OTA and flashing latest are synchronized for the stable builds (Saucy Salamander).

Mobile Nations Devotee
    My last version was 96... Getting v100 now.

This should be the same as public release Beta. OTA and flashing latest are synchronized for the stable builds (Saucy Salamander).
    How are you getting along? OMG! Ubuntu and some other people are doing their best to bash UT, but on a GNex4 it is not that bad. Today, my battery life has been quite good. 8 hours of light use has consumed about 37% of the battery, i.e. 4-5% per hour. Not great, but much better than in r99.
    Of course, there are things I would like to see worked out before I am reasonably content with it as a daily driver, such as:
    Bluetooth. I can't get UT to detect any other BT units.
    E-mail. I have set up the Gmail-app with my standard Google account, but when I try to log into another account from the app, nothing happens.
    Calendar sync. I have not come across anything in the way of calendar sync on UT.
    Swedish keyboard. I looked at this article, but got some error messages with the commands. Haven't dared changing anything in the server.conf file.
    Silenced mode and vibrate.
    Browser. Some pages don't render in the browser, e.g. this one. Some of the mobile sites I have visited, e.g. this one render them as on a desktop browser, i.e. as a small strip in the middle.
    I installed Ubuntu touch this past weekend but I had to reinstall Android for the work week. Ubuntu was draining the battery too quickly and bluetooth didn't work. And on T-Mobile picture messaging wasn't working and the fastest data speed I could get was 3G. It was fun to try but I can't imagine they'll get this mobile OS up to speed anytime soon.
  17.    #117  
    I've kind of let this sit again for awhile... I have build 100 on my N4 (the Oct 17 Public Release). I was sort of hoping that Canonical had been holding something back and the Public Beta would be a leap forward. Instead it was the same trickle.

They have made a lot of advances since they flipped the container and stopped running UT inside CyanogenMod back during the summer. It's all sort of relative, I guess. The basics are there, they just need to flesh out the UX.

As for only getting 3G... On my N4 it feels like "Faux G" speeds. I suppose I could do a side by side browser speed test between two HDPA 42 mbps phones if I borrow a SIM. The Nexus 4 running UT and a Lumia 925 running WP8... Interesting experiment that might confirm my feeling that "3G" on Ubuntu Touch is a naming convention that also includes H+.

I'm not a BlueTooth user. Never really have been. IDK why not. My biggest frustration with UT up till now is the lack of Account integration - specifically Google. I've a lot of data in that cloud and have gotten spoiled by instant sync when changing devices...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I've kind of let this sit again for awhile... I have build 100 on my N4 (the Oct 17 Public Release). I was sort of hoping that Canonical had been holding something back and the Public Beta would be a leap forward. Instead it was the same trickle.

They have made a lot of advances since they flipped the container and stopped running UT inside CyanogenMod back during the summer. It's all sort of relative, I guess. The basics are there, they just need to flesh out the UX.

As for only getting 3G... On my N4 it feels like "Faux G" speeds. I suppose I could do a side by side browser speed test between two HDPA 42 mbps phones if I borrow a SIM. The Nexus 4 running UT and a Lumia 925 running WP8... Interesting experiment that might confirm my feeling that "3G" on Ubuntu Touch is a naming convention that also includes H+.

I'm not a BlueTooth user. Never really have been. IDK why not. My biggest frustration with UT up till now is the lack of Account integration - specifically Google. I've a lot of data in that cloud and have gotten spoiled by instant sync when changing devices...
    It never dawned on me that the 3G symbol may have been fake. And the lack of account integration, especially Google, is a huge issue. I rarely use bluetooth myself, but when I do it's because I am driving, so it was sad to find out that it wasn't working. I also missed the screen automatically turning off as I put the phone to my ear. And I hope they realize that spell check and other typing features (like Copy and Paste) need to be added sooner than later.

Disregarding all the short comings due to Ubuntu Phone's infancy stage, Ubuntu just doesn't seam to be as amazing as I thought it could be on a mobile device. It's different than the other mobile operating systems, but I can't say it's better. In the "Ubuntu Phone Demo w/ Mark Shuttleworth", the video demonstrates a nice gesture move of swiping in from the left and then continuing your swipe (up or down) to the App icon you want and releasing your finger to launch the app. That seemed very fluid and simple. But in reality, I found I had to lift my finger and touch the icon to launch the app. Of coarse that isn't a major problem, but it doesn't help to distinguish Ubuntu touch from the other tap happy mobile operating systems either. ( I expected more intuitive gestures and a little less tapping. I guess I was spoiled with webOS on the Pre hardware. The physical keyboard, the gesture area, and the meta taps were great. And when combined with the software features of the cards, " just type" and Synergy, webOS was really far superior to all the other mobile OS offerings out there. I feel even the TouchPad was a little disappointing due to the lack of a gestures and a gesture area.)

What I do like about Ubuntu touch is the top window shade and how it works. And Ubuntu seems to be the closest to delivering the promise of one core operating system (with minor tweaks to it's variants) across multiple hardware (Desk Top, Lap Top, Tablet, Phone, and TV). Other platforms have given the illusion of OS integration across various hardware, but never really delivered it. ( Even webOS had trouble achieving this.).

If a way to dual boot the Nexus 4 with both Ubuntu and a ROM of Android surfaces, I would definitely install both.
    :-)

OK I just watched a video and see I wasn't performing the "quick launch" gesture correctly. I was keeping my finger on the Apps icon and not to the right of it. If I kept my finger to the right of the icon the release of my touch would have launched the app. My apologies for that that one.
    Last edited by Mike_Parenti; 10/25/2013 at 11:54 PM.
    I just found an Android App called Glovebox - side launcher. It puts an Ubuntu Phone style quick launcher on Android.
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Parenti View Post
    ...OK I just watched a video and see I wasn't performing the "quick launch" gesture correctly. I was keeping my finger on the Apps icon and not to the right of it. If I kept my finger to the right of the icon the release of my touch would have launched the app. My apologies for that that one.
    That gesture is hard to get.

Great post, BTW. Thanks

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast