Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Ooops... You're talking FireFox OS and I'm talking Ubuntu Touch...
    ah right, i thought the firefox side just ran the ubuntu apps or something and that their interfaces/front ends were different, gotcha now.

i avoided doing much on either till their noob friendly.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Have you been updating UT lately? Could you give us an update again? When is the official release date set actually?
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.vos View Post
    Have you been updating UT lately? Could you give us an update again? When is the official release date set actually?
    So far as I can determine from press, UT is still slated for an October release to the general public. I guess it will be a Beta still at that point as they try to iron out bugs for proprietary devices coming early 2014.

The last version I flashed was marked August 8, 2013... The one I flashed before that is the one I tried to use for a day and was marked Aug. 3, 2013. 3G data is now built in, but my experience was that it didn't persist. That may have been due to lost signal and then the phone doesn't reconnect on its own. I found myself toggling the 3G off then back on more than once during the day. The inconsistency made the GNex unreliable, so one day is all I used it for with a SIM on board (T-Mobile). There is a huge file of APN settings included in the builds now (kind of like a carrierdb.json file) that can be "pulled," edited if needed and then "pushed" back to the phone. My carrier's entry read correct to me so I blame the dropped data on signal loss and inability to reseek.

The phone will not wake from power down. It won't enter Bootloader either. You need a Terminal or a Command window to issue an "ADB Reboot" to get the phone to power on.

Screen rotation finally made it into the builds early in Aug or late July... I sorta forget. It was nice to have that.

Auto Brightness has still not appeared. Battery is nowhere near optimized.

The only accounts you can add so far are FaceBook and Twitter - useless to me. I'm hoping they are not so crazy as to ignore Google Accounts and all that provides to users.

The GMail App is weak with no push notification.

MMS has not appeared. (Meh - nice but sort of a novelty use item for me)

The browser has a Safari Mobile user agent and I don't like it. I prefer Desktop Mode even on a phone with a screen as small as Veer... Ubuntu Touch is going to have the same underpinnings as 13.x desktop and FireFox is getting the nod once again as Chromium waits another cycle to be the default in Ubuntu. Let's hope the folks at Mozilla are not too busy with FireFox OS to put together a good browser for UT > AND here's hoping it accesses their Apps. (I use Chrome on my laptop and Opera on my phone/tablet. I'd take either of these for UT.)

There is STILL dummy data for music and videos. Dear Lord, let that end soon. I HATE, HATE, HATE cleaning it out by hand after every new build flash.

You still have to set your Time Zone by hand.

No maps.

There are added apps, functionality, menus, settings, etc. and the OS has made a huge leap forward over the summer. Show time is just a couple of months away.

I'm downloading and flashing the current build (August 16, 2013) right now.

I'll try and get some screencaps posted this go around. I know I owe this community an updated look at the state of UT.

Overall I'm optimistic that I'll be able to switch to Ubuntu Touch as a daily driver this fall. Then I can put it on my Nexus 4 and start testing Open webOS on the GNex.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 08/18/2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
  4.    #84  
    August 16 ans Aug 22 looked bad, felt bad... They changed a lot of bits and it seemed like connectors were not all present...

I just flashed August 28, 2013. Looks and feels better. I inserted my SIM and turned off WiFi. Lo and behold I have data indicator on the status bar!!! A huge benefit.

I'll be running this phone today as my daily, maybe tomorrow as well depending...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    workerb and alonhzn like this.
    Are you totally off webOS these days?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Are you totally off webOS these days?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    At this point I am...

IF Ubuntu Touch comes together the way I hope I'll have the option of flashing it onto my N4 and maybe the N7 if enough media consumption options materialize...

Then I can start toying with OwOS on the GNex.

P.S.: Still running the GNex on UT today... I can firmly say it is still lacking and anyone using it as a daily is either very patient or very slow at getting normal tasks done, More on that soon. I've got a Labor Day/Birthday (someone else's) to go to today. I'll try and get screen caps and a run down posted tomorrow.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09/02/2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    At this point I am...
    At this point I am...

IF Ubuntu Touch comes together the way I hope I'll have the option of flashing it onto my N4 and maybe the N7 if enough media consumption options materialize...

Then I can start toying with OwOS on the GNex.

P.S.: Still running the GNex on UT today... I can firmly say it is still lacking and anyone using it as a daily is either very patient or very slow at getting normal tasks done, More on that soon. I've got a Labor Day/Birthday (someone else's) to go to today. I'll try and get screen caps and a run down posted tomorrow.
    Have you tested UT anything further? What about OTA updates, working well? What do you see missing before it is ready for prime time?
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    Have you tested UT anything further? What about OTA updates, working well? What do you see missing before it is ready for prime time?
    I keep getting sidetracked from spending as much time on this as I'd like - or as it deserves...

The last time I flashed Ubuntu Touch to my Galaxy Nexus, it was still under the cdimage system. I ran UT on my GNex for 2 days (September 2nd & 3rd) using the 20130828.1 image...

The ringer volume is frustratingly low and doesn't change with the volume keys or on-screen tools.

The only way to connect to voicemail is to dial your own number.

There is no push notification for missed calls or voicemail.

The Gmail app looks like something from 10 years ago - there is no push notification and you can only be logged onto one account at a time.

The browser is mobile only. Screens larger than 4.5" deserve a desktop mode.

My cellular data kept dropping out - data had to be toggled off then on to reestablish a connection (T-Mo USA).

The clock on the lockscreen lagged behind system time whenever I woke the phone.

There are no maps or navigation.

Weather is just a bare bones temp and cartoonish conditions drawing.

Many, many PIM connectors and lots and lots of settings are just place holders without function still.

Why for the love of all that is holy do they have to keep including mock music and mock video images? Please leave it out - it drives me insane and I have to clear it by hand from every build via terminal and sudo rm. GRRRRRRAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH.

They killed off the people home page - way more useful on a communicator than a music or video page. Music and video pages make huge sense for tablets and are just OK for phones. Phones are built as comm devices and need the instant connect that the people home page promised.

It isn't ready yet...

I'm downloading and flashing the new "ubuntu-system" build now and converting to image based from flipped container...

We'll see how that goes.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I'm downloading and flashing the new "ubuntu-system" build now and converting to image based from flipped container...

We'll see how that goes.
    Thanks for the update! Keep us posted.
  11.    #91  
    Release for the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 phones is still expected for October 17, 2013; tablets will lag behind somewhat from everything I have seen. Ubuntu Touch and Saucy Salamander 13.10 desktop will arrive at the same time, with full convergence slated for the 14.04 LTS release which should come late April 2014. That's most likely the launch date for dedicated Ubuntu phone and tablet hardware.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Thanks for this thread, I have enjoyed reading this the past 2 days. I'm torn between putting UT on my Nexus 4 now or waiting a month or more for a more stable build. Saturday I start using the Nexus 4 as my phone and it sounds like the UT os is not quite ready for that. I may have to settle for the Nexus 4s stock Android buid for a little while. :-(

(I am going to miss the physical keyboard, Meta tapping, and synergy software of webOS)
    Mike, I am in the same situation as you. Nexus 4 since about a week, eagerly awaiting to test UT. Stock Android is OK, better than expected in some aspects, but definitely worse in other aspects. Lots of tapping to get things done. My big question is when UT is ready enough for me to make the leap. Would very much like to see working bluetooth and the ability to sync google contacts and calendar before I jump.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoqv View Post
    Mike, I am in the same situation as you. Nexus 4 since about a week, eagerly awaiting to test UT. Stock Android is OK, better than expected in some aspects, but definitely worse in other aspects. Lots of tapping to get things done. My big question is when UT is ready enough for me to make the leap. Would very much like to see working bluetooth and the ability to sync google contacts and calendar before I jump.
    To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu, that is the question. The Google Nexus 4 is nice and Android is better than I thought it would be. Not just the apps, but I agree, Android itself has come a long way. But I miss my Pre3 & webOS. Nothing can replace the amazing form factor of the Pre3, but I am seriously considering running Ubuntu Phone OS in place of Android because the intuitive gestures and lack of Apps should feel similar to the joys and pains of webOS.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Parenti View Post
    To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu, that is the question. The Google Nexus 4 is nice and Android is better than I thought it would be. Not just the apps, but I agree, Android itself has come a long way. But I miss my Pre3 & webOS. Nothing can replace the amazing form factor of the Pre3, but I am seriously considering running Ubuntu Phone OS in place of Android because the intuitive gestures and lack of Apps should feel similar to the joys and pains of webOS.
    At this point there are diverging methods for using UT.

It's all in the phablet-flash command suffices.

My initial forays into the new "Image based" installs make it feel like a regression. Running the "ubuntu-system" builds still leaves things frustratingly incomplete in some areas - there are not as many settings advances as I'd hoped to see... And the builds are "read only" so you can't even make the manual changes you might have become accustomed to, such as setting the time zone to local. My latest attempt to update OTA failed... My next move was to update manually via terminal on my Ubuntu (Virtual) Box.

The command
    Code:
    phablet-flash ubuntu-system --channel saucy --no backup
    should have given me a clean install of the latest stable version. It failed on the push of the image to the device and now I'm left with an Android shell. I'll have to re-install Android and try again...

If you do try UT, I recommend sticking with the "flipped container" builds for now.

Use
    Code:
    phablet-flash cdimage-touch -b
    for your initial setup and plain
    Code:
    phablet-flash cdimage-touch
    for fresh dailies.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes

Mobile Nations Devotee
  16.    #96  
    UPDATE:

Android 4.3 flash successful... Retry of latest Saucy stable build installed on the second attempt.

Galaxy Nexus is back to Ubuntu Touch...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  17.    #97  
    Sanity saved...

A tip on XDA led me to be able to write to the system files on the "Read Only" ubuntu-system image I flashed.

Open terminal on the device and use
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/loop0/ -o remount, rw
    After typing in the password for sudo, you'll be able to write to system files.

I used it to set the system time:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    calls up the timezone applet and thanks to the "Read-Write" permission, changes are saved.

Check out this help page for more: https://wiki.edubuntu.org/QATeam/TouchTesting

Mobile Nations Devotee
  18.    #98  
    PIM is possible... you just have to decipher the correct command line instructions.

Syncevolution is onboard UT image based builds. https://syncevolution.org/ It's a lot for a layperson to read.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  19.    #99  
    Here's a rough video on the state of Ubuntu Touch Oct 3, 2013. The public release is coming soon!!!

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KTFQKxRNzA[/YT]

Also see the UT Wikis:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

Thanks for watching.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    I really want to check it out, I'll wait for some solid reviews to come out. If it's strong and stable enough and it's installed on a good phone, I'll think about buying it. However, last but not least comes the price, which depends mostly on the phone and the carrier.
    I'm using a two-month-old Pre 3, I don't want to dismiss it so easily.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast