Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    But the install instructions just give a repository
    "sudo add-apt-repository ppahablet-team/tools"
    I don't have Ubuntu...
    I'd like at least to know when there is a new version.
    If there's a change log - even better.
    That's what makes downloading dailies tricky if you aren't flashing. First step is it will authenticate your device version, then download to desktop, then flash. There is a new version at least once a day. They have a bot compiling automatically... If you want changelogs and chatter try here: https://launchpad.net/~phablet-team/+archive/ppa This is where the developers are repositing.

If you want Ubuntu it is free and relatively painless to set up in a virtual machine environment.

If you are waiting to flash when they have a daily driver version, I'm watching to report that here ASAP.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    alonhzn likes this.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I don't have a nexus device yet, so i'm just trying to keep up with the news until i can afford it :-)
    keep us posted
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Right, right. It says concept in the title and the body of the article...
    Sorry, earlier this day, for whatever reason, it only showed the picture and no URL to an article so I didn't know you knew it wasn't real. I now see the URL to that article so consider my post obsolete.
  4.    #64  
    So I saw a tidbit dated May 28 that indicated 3G data was working along with some other advances and a lot of the dummy data was going to be dropped... phablet-flash will also stop wiping your personal data.

To get ready for that I reset my GNex to Android 4.2.2, unlocked it and got ready to flash a clean new copy of Ubuntu Touch.

I had some difficulties getting Ubuntu Touch back in there... I had to do a manual step at the end of the process to get the ROM to flash when applying the bootstrap (first flash only). Took a couple days to work it all out. I am on v153 from June 05. No 3G data for me... but this guy has it, along with a few other items I've not seen. Much of the dummy data is gone (HUZZAH) and I cleared up the rest through the Ubuntu chroot shell. Also set my clock to local time and we'll see if that sticks. I'll be flashing again soon and hoping for some of what the Ubuntu Developers have in-house...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q566IGyVB0o[/YT]

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    So what about the "daily usable challenge"? did they fail to meet the May deadline?
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    So what about the "daily usable challenge"? did they fail to meet the May deadline?
    No. Calling and texting is implemented, as you can see and the daily images also contain 3G+4G support.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    No. Calling and texting is implemented, as you can see and the daily images also contain 3G+4G support.
    Right - but they must be using an internal build for the developers... Voice and SMS have been there from day one - I've not had data or some of the apps shown out of the image I booted into from the same day as the video was shot (June 05 - you see it highlighted on his calender).

I'm hoping it comes to the dailies soon. I'll try another revision on my next days off...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  8.    #68  
    I keep pecking away at the Googlesphere... Here's the latest tidbit. Sync your contacts from your Google account. This will be helpful now that dailies aren't deleting your personal data.

Run from a terminal in Ubuntu with the device connected via USB.

Code:
    adb root
    adb shell
    ubuntu_chroot shell
    apt-get install syncevolution
    su - phablet
    syncevolution --configure --sync-property username=<insert>@gmail.com --sync-property password=<actual> Google_Contacts
    syncevolution --sync refresh-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook

For <insert> substitute your username for the Google account you want to sync with. Do not type <>.
    For <actual> substitute the valid password for the account you are syncing. Do not type <>.

It worked for me (not flawlessly), but it brought over a majority of my contacts. Nice not to have to enter them all by hand. Reportedly the code above works for 50 contacts. There appears to be workarounds for more contacts... Here's the Original Post.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  9.    #69  
    Daily builds of Ubuntu Touch are now using "Saucy" for a base... Having moved quickly through "Quantal" and "Raring."

I've found that there are more Apps hidden inside and a simple search brings them out. 3G data can be enabled via Ubuntu Desktop + ADB + Terminla on the phone itself (one of the hidden Apps).

My Virtual Box is slightly out of date and my VBVBVB $install$ $of$ $12$.$04$ $is$ $getting$ $crowded$. $I$'$ve$ $cleared$ $out$ $space$ $on$ $the$ $hard$ $drive$. $Hitting$ $reset$ $with$ $a$ $fresh$ $install$ $of$ $Virtual$ $Box$ $and$ $will$ $put$ $Ubuntu$ $13$.$04$ $in$ $there$ $with$ $extended$ $storage$.

Here's some news:

Enable 3G data - https://plus.google.com/100264483712...ts/3o1tjYo9Ghx

Canonical forms the Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group - Ubuntu Mobile Seeks Smartphone, Telecom, Carrier Partners | Mobile Device Management Software Solutions content from The VAR Guy

A long article based on an interview with Canonicalís Director of Engineering, Pat McGowan - In depth interview: Ubuntu Touch aims to learn from Android's mistakes

Ubuntu community manager Jono Bacon talks about the "App Store" philosophy Canonical plans to have - Ubuntu 'superphone' needs a superstrategy | Open Source Software - InfoWorld

Mobile Nations Devotee
  10.    #70  
    Well Ubuntu Desktop 13.04 has graphics problems inside Virtual Box and I was unable to resolve them via the workarounds published on the web... I went back to 12.04 on an expanded virtual hard drive for more storage.

Ubuntu Touch saucy v25 proved to be broken in some aspects, so I'm flashing v26 right now...

There appears to be a lot of advancement in the App department. More soon when I get a good build working on the phone...

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    RumoredNow, any more updates planned for this forum thread?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
  12.    #72  
    Yeah...

I keep getting sidetracked trying to get 3G data going... I think I might have found the workaround needed.

That will remotivate me. BTW, there have been a lot of advancements recently as well. I'll have to spend some time and make a jumbo sized post soon.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    whats the difference between what your doing currently and using "Firefox OS Simulator" from inside firefox? any major differences?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Hmmn it looks like netflix can now run thru ubuntu, did anyone try this on the touchpad?
    [How To] Watch LOVEFiLM, Redbox Instant or Netflix on Ubuntu | OMG! Ubuntu!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hmmn it looks like netflix can now run thru ubuntu, did anyone try this on the touchpad?
    [How To] Watch LOVEFiLM, Redbox Instant or Netflix on Ubuntu | OMG! Ubuntu!
    Old Mention of Netflix/Ubuntu: OpenMobile update!!!

been that way for some time but it relies on WINE, and there are no advanced enough WINE+QEmu setups for arm devices atm, Native Ubuntu 13.x for hp touchpad did breach that barrier but only for amazingly basic stuff, i never got any x86 advanced stuff to work.

Once u do install the linux/wine netflix desktop app you can also press F11 or whatever it is to open up the browser menus, and install the MediaHint extension, allowing UK/euro users to access the american list of netflix.

in a similar vain you can install "Hola Accelerator & Unblocker" inside CM9/10 on your touchpad and enjoy the same benefits.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    whats the difference between what your doing currently and using "Firefox OS Simulator" from inside firefox? any major differences?
    Ummm... I have to flash it onto the phone. It's not an emulator. I'm using the most current images and testing it on a Galaxy Nexus.

It changes almost daily in terms of functionality.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Ummm... I have to flash it onto the phone. It's not an emulator. I'm using the most current images and testing it on a Galaxy Nexus.

It changes almost daily in terms of functionality.
    so just testing how it works as/on a phone as opposed to trying out the apps?
  18.    #78  
    so just testing how it works as/on a phone as opposed to trying out the apps?
    Yep... There are few enough Apps, they can be tested in the Ubuntu 13.X desktop builds and run natively there, IIRC.

There is no plan for an App Store of any kind. Search should bring you whatever you're looking for. Remember the goal is that it runs on the phone, the tablet, the desktop and the TV - just as is.

Quick Update:

Builds are no longer daily...
    Code:
    phablet-flash
    ...yields the "current" image, but now there is a hold time between release and upgrade to current. A mini bug squash cycle so that the "current" images are a bit more stable.

3G data is there and has been for some time. I'm not getting it to enable consistently as of yet... Hoping future builds address this PDQ. There is no more need to push the Network Connection file from desktop over to the phone. The file in the builds can be pulled, edited and then pushed back.

Phone won't wake from power down on the last few builds I've tried...
    Code:
    adb reboot
    ...solves that issue, but what a pain.

The mock Contacts data is long gone, but they still put the mock Music and Videos in the builds and they keep moving them. At least with file manager on board you can hunt them down and delete them from on the device.

The People Page is gone from the Home Page screens (???). Not sure why they ditched that one. I'd rather have my contacts up front rather than music and vidz... Might be a privacy issue?

There is still a lot of Terminal work that needs to be done on every build install, but things are getting closer to daily driver status... Minus an App selection, that is.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    there is an appstore isnt there? ive use the simulator to get into the "Marketplace" app which seems to have tons (well quite a few) of apps.

or does the proper thing have something different to the simulator?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #80  
    there is an appstore isnt there? ive use the simulator to get into the "Marketplace" app which seems to have tons (well quite a few) of apps.

or does the proper thing have something different to the simulator?
    Ooops... You're talking FireFox OS and I'm talking Ubuntu Touch...

Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast