Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Ok ill look into a more update friendly daily approach. Also gp ahead itll be fun
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
  2.    #42  
    Sorry all, I've been pretty sick (am getting better thanks!) and am thus behind on a lot of things. Including this BLOG.

So I'm getting the latest version even now. I'm told that the -l (latest) command is now "deprecated" and that latest is now the default. So a simple phablet-flash should get you the most recent update. Today that is v108.

I'll report back here soon.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Sorry all, I've been pretty sick (am getting better thanks!) and am thus behind on a lot of things. Including this BLOG.

So I'm getting the latest version even now. I'm told that the -l (latest) command is now "deprecated" and that latest is now the default. So a simple phablet-flash should get you the most recent update. Today that is v108.

I'll report back here soon.
    Hi RumoredNow, hope you are feeling better! Im waiting in anticipation of your latest findings on Ubuntu Touch, so when you have the energy and time to write something about it again please do!

Btw, are you working with a Gnex still, or with the Nexus 4?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.vos View Post
    Hi RumoredNow, hope you are feeling better! Im waiting in anticipation of your latest findings on Ubuntu Touch, so when you have the energy and time to write something about it again please do!

Btw, are you working with a Gnex still, or with the Nexus 4?
    Thanks for the well wishes. I'm much improved and have been working on screencaps. It's kind of tedious as they all have to be taken by command line and then saved to Ubuntu. I'll be back in here soon with a look at the new functionality...

I've got UT on the Gnex still, the N4 is my daily driver right now. When UT goes public this fall (?) I may switch the N4 over and start playing with Open on the Gnex. MudShark22 has a how-to on that: Install openwebos on Gnex using Windows

Mobile Nations Devotee
  5.    #45  
    It's About Time

Just as a brief note: this info is all from v108, dated 30 April, 2013. I didn't do a fresh daily for a few reasons. I've been playing with ssh commands and have removed much of the dummy data and set my clock to my actual time (rather than London, UK as the App defaults to). I just didn't want to undo that progress or repeat all the command line entries to duplicate the effort so soon.... I've also decided that getting a new Daily every week or so isn't good for me. A watched pot never boils and a snapshot of UT every week doesn't often show progress...

Recently, Ubuntu Touch added 3 more Apps in the beginning stages of functionality (Calculator, Calendar and Clock). I feel they were included more to show off the design philosophy behind UT than for the function. They are still works in progress. This time out we look at the Clock App. I've got lots of screencaps to show you what I mean so let's get going, time is of the essence!!!

Here's the App Page showing the 3 new apps open and waiting for use.

Let's get out the clock. It's at the top of our stack. If you remember, open apps are slid into focus from the right side of the screen - last one used being at the top of the "stack."

Note that the system has been told that I am in "Chicago" and that is local time in the shot. Location has not been tied in for display and neither has "To Do" which one would guess draws reports from the Calendar app. Tapping on either of these yields no results.

Similarly, there is no mini control panel available via short gesture from the bottom and the settings page is bare as well... The close button doesn't even work. The page is just a place holder so far...

Notice, also, that the other two open apps (Calculator and Calendar) are not reporting to the system for inclusion on any app's settings page. Perhaps you recall that with the initial core apps, opening the settings page inside an app showed thumbnails of any open apps in the top banner. Clock is not reporting to the other two. I'm sure that as the apps get finalized that will be tied in. As per usual, the settings page is a window shade that can be rolled down to the bottom of the screen to close.

As we look at the Clock App, it seems that Ubuntu Touch is going to keep as many things gesture driven as possible. I'm all for that. It helps them differentiate from all the "button" OSes and adds a fluidity to the UI. Take the banner, for instance. Sliding your finger left or right on the top banner reveals all the options available to the user: Clock, Alarm, Timer and Stopwatch. I think it's very well planned that the Clock App gives you all 4 of the most basic functions you would want.

Scroll to reveal the options and tap the one you want. First up, Alarm.

Looks pretty sparse, doesn't it? Tapping on the digital time does nothing. I guess the app isn't tied into the keyboard yet. I would hope that will be upcoming... I do like the Spartan, no frills looks, but it could do with a bit of polish for most users' tastes.

Tapping the center of the dial enables the Alarm to be set with a gesture driven solution of moving the hands (hour and minute) to show the desired time...

Scrolling down, you can then set options within the alarm (repeat, tone and vibrate toggle).

When you are finished setting up your Alarm, just tap the Done button in the center of the dial.

As of yet there is no way to delete alarms off the list. Also they do not persist following a system reboot. Both issues I would expect to be addressed before the app is finalized.

Let's take a look at the timer. No keyboard input (yet), but easily set by gesture.

The Presets button is not functional yet, but you can simply touch the pointer and drag it around the circle to set the amount of time to be counted down. Then tap Start to begin the countdown.

When it finishes you get a visual.

There is no tone. The Clock App is not tied into system sounds yet. No "Ding" for the Timer, no "Beep" for the Alarm...

Next up is the Stopwatch. The Start button toggles into a Stop button.

Tapping the Lap button captures lap times and advances the Counter box. Tapping the Counter box takes you into a view of the Lap times captured.

Note that while the Stopwatch is running, only the last two laps are displayed... After the Stop button is pressed, you may then scroll through the Laps on the detail screen.

I like the way gestures and on screen interaction are preserved inside the Clock App and it's functions. I love that UT is showing off some advancement. The Clock App was the most complex of the 3 new apps so I broke it out separate. Hopefully they will all see some advancement next time I flash a daily (They are officially in the Beta stage of Dev Preview, by the way). More coming soon. We'll look at the Calculator and the Calendar next time... After that it might be a good time to flash another updated version and take stock of how far the OS has come since its initial release.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    tholap, xandros9 and pattyland like this.
    Thanks for the update. Great job with the write up. From what I see, Fall seems optimistic for a public launch. Looks interesting tho.
    beetrootred likes this.
    I must say that I am quite interested in this OS. thanks for all your updates!
  8.    #48  
    Thank you gentlemen... I do remain very interested in the OS and seeing how it is going to evolve. I am somewhat frustrated by the lack of news regarding it on most phone oriented sites I visit, so I try and comb the Googleshpere for tidbits and even that is sparse...

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Thanks for the update. Great job with the write up. From what I see, Fall seems optimistic for a public launch. Looks interesting tho.
    Yeah, unless they are bottlenecking stuff and holding it back for a big push, I would guess Q4 might only see a Beta testing stage...

Quote Originally Posted by beetrootred View Post
    I must say that I am quite interested in this OS. thanks for all your updates!
    Thanks for reading. I'm glad to know there are people out there checking in with my reports.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I am interested as well. Unfortunately, if it doesn't run the MDM software my company is using I can't use it.
    On a different note, I saw an article on Phonedog I believe that says UT should be ready as a daily driver by end of May.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    RumoredNow likes this.
  10.    #50  
    I looked over at PhoneDog and could not find that in the first 10 pages of news items...

I know Shuttleworth claimed Dev Preview would be ready for a Daily Driver "in a few weeks" back in March. But there are no system sounds, there's no screen rotation, there's no basic settings in a lot of apps. You can't set APN or MMS settings...

Too much seems missing right now. I hope that Canonical proves me wrong and releases a big leap forward soon. So far it has just been increments.

<edit> Member alonhzn found a source: http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...end-month.html
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 05/10/2013 at 02:21 PM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I will definitely keep track of your blogoforum here! I can't wait to see the post "Yes it's usable!"
    keep up the good work
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I looked over at PhoneDog and could not find that in the first 10 pages of news items...
    My apologies. I saw it on PhoneArena.com . Not definitive though as he writes, "It isn't guaranteed to happen, but Canonical is setting a goal to have Ubuntu Touch be "usable" by the end of May."
    Some slick new effects are shown off! (although they're not implemented yet)
    New Interface Animations Demoed for Ubuntu Touch | OMG! Ubuntu!
    alonhzn likes this.
  14.    #54  

Mobile Nations Devotee
  15.    #55  
    P.S.: Trying the latest daily on Tuesday (28 May, 2013 and my day off). The last one I'll try before the "Daily Driver Deadline."

Mobile Nations Devotee
    alonhzn likes this.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Where can I see (better yet - download) the daily versions of Ubuntu touch?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by alonhzn View Post
    Where can I see (better yet - download) the daily versions of Ubuntu touch?
    If you follow the Install guide: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install you will get a copy pulled every request and stored on your Ubuntu Desktop.

If you just want to pull a copy to open up and examine that's a bit harder on a daily basis...

There are "Beta" versions on this site from 24 April 2013. Raring Daily (archived) | Ubuntu QA

Mobile Nations Devotee
    @Rumorednow: That Sammy phone is nothing more than an unofficial concept:
    The Samsung U1000 Ubuntu Phone Isn't Real | OMG! Ubuntu!
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    @Rumorednow: That Sammy phone is nothing more than an unofficial concept:
    The Samsung U1000 Ubuntu Phone Isn't Real | OMG! Ubuntu!
    Right, right. It says concept in the title and the body of the article...

It shows Samsung fans are not really willing to leave a single OS unmolested. How they will leverage TouchWiz on top of UT remains to be seen.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    But the install instructions just give a repository
    "sudo add-apt-repository ppahablet-team/tools"
    I don't have Ubuntu...
    I'd like at least to know when there is a new version.
    If there's a change log - even better.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast