Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I'm using a pre3 but the gradual abandonment by devs of the platform is worrisome . One recent example is voogle which I use quite often. I also have snergyv but voogle is more phone friendly. I've recently used a Nokia Lumia 920 ; incredible hardware but too wieldy to hold imo. Rubin made a few mistakes with hardware but form factor wash't one of them. The Pre just feel so nice in a palm nothing surpasses it.
    If I needed a phone now I would probably choose the 920 as it's incredible value for money and I find the OS most similar to webOS sans tiles. Multitasking still sucks though.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Have you tried the Media Indexer Refresh app first? This will find all your music.
    Don't want to hijack this thread, but I tried MIR and it didn't work (Music library not loading all mp3 files)
    Luckily I'd backed up what was on the phone and reloaded it all. Can't have all the music I want, but at least it's recognised all the mp3 files that were previously on it, so the Pre has a reprieve.

Back to the subject - of moving on - it really is a shame HP dropped the Pre, as I can't find anything out there that I'd want apart from a Pre. Nothing else compares to it, all round.
    I bought a DNA and love it. It's pretty darn big but my god it's fast. I'm starting to get used to the extra screen space and with the case the guy at the kiosk gave me it's pretty ergonomic. I rooted it immediately and have custom mods like Sweep2Wake gestures and recent apps cards so multi tasking is a breeze. If carrier isn't an issue I highly recommend at least checking one out at a Verizon store near you.
    Stay thirsty, my friends
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I'm not moving yet, but I believe some time in 2013 I will.
    I must say my Pre2 has been very stable the past months, I got a Mugen battery and solved my issues and now I have WhatsApp.
    As other people said I'm not interested in Apple, I like the iPhone but I don't like Apple.
    Android is better in terms of "freedom" however it still feels a bit ugly to me. I'm only jealous of the apps. I don't want a thousand apps, but I want about 10 "basic" ones that webOS misses.
    I also thought about WP, I really liked the new Nokia and especially the new HTCs, however the OS still has many drawbacks. It's a candidate though.
    The one I'm eagerly waiting is the new BB10. I really liked what I've seen until now (except the Active Frames, which look a bit ugly and cannot be customized like the live tiles of WP), but leaving a dead OS in order to go to RIM that fights for survival, is that wise?

Oh, how I love webOS.
    Brand new Verizon Pre 2 on ebay goes for $70 with free shipping...
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I'm not moving yet, but I believe some time in 2013 I will.
    I must say my Pre2 has been very stable the past months, I got a Mugen battery and solved my issues and now I have WhatsApp.
    As other people said I'm not interested in Apple, I like the iPhone but I don't like Apple.
    Android is better in terms of "freedom" however it still feels a bit ugly to me. I'm only jealous of the apps. I don't want a thousand apps, but I want about 10 "basic" ones that webOS misses.
    I also thought about WP, I really liked the new Nokia and especially the new HTCs, however the OS still has many drawbacks. It's a candidate though.
    The one I'm eagerly waiting is the new BB10. I really liked what I've seen until now (except the Active Frames, which look a bit ugly and cannot be customized like the live tiles of WP), but leaving a dead OS in order to go to RIM that fights for survival, is that wise?

Oh, how I love webOS.
    Yes, I think we all love webOS, but without money and influence, there's not much we can do. WebOS needs a phone and there are no phones for it.

I jumped over to look at the BB10 and I think that that has some real possibility. I can wait to until Jan 31, when it will launch and take a look. It looks very impressive imho.

So now I just increased my option from 1 to 2. -- Windows phone and BB10. Yipee.
    I reluctantly gave up my Sprint Frankenpre 2 and moved to the Galaxy S3. It's about as good as you can do after WebOS (in my opinion), but there are still WebOS things that I miss.

Overall, the S3 works very well for me. I don't have as many crashes as I used to with my Pre, and the size is fine. There are LOTS more apps to choose from, and the voice recognition works very well. I just miss the simple gestures and things like JUST TYPE.
    My friend at work dropped his pre2 (framkenpre) shattering the screen. So I am lending him my backup so he can pay someone to make another frankenpre without having to wait so long his amazon order to arrive. And I would do the same
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I have my Pre 2 until october 2013. I actually bought my Pre 2 after HP pulled the plug on webOS out of stubbornness. The phone has been good to me although it has performance quirks and glitches. I also have a Iphone 4 which works well but I have no interest in it or its 1 million apps. I would say though that iOS is very stable and has never crashed. I don't trust BB/RIM has the talent to do a good phone right. I had a earlier generation BB and it was painful and made my webOS Pre + and Pre 2 look solid like a tank. Android is not intuitive and it is an awkward adolescent but it is customizable and will be around in 5+ years. I just loaded ICS to my touchpad and while I think my core webOS apps are BETTER than android counterparts, it's nice to have a choice of apps and thriving android ecosystem. I go back to webOS on the TP regularly when the weird android interface is too irritating. I haven't tried windows yet but I am leery of getting invested in a another marginally supported OS and MS has, to my understanding, given up on version after version without upgrading legacy owners. But I do believe MS is in the game seriously. They know if they cede the mobile market, they will begin a inevitable decline to irrelevance.
    So which one will I go with? I'll decide right before my subsidy kicks in but probably android- probably nexus model so I don't get stuck with old version. Maybe Duarte will fix up the UI Android mess by next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post

Why does he have Symbian on a phone that runs Maemo out of the box? I have my N900 running Maemo, and it's very enjoyable, but of course i gravitate towards webOS.

Maemo can accept linux packages for Debian (which it is based on), but i've not really bothered to play with any of that, since i have other things on my mind and am more of a web developer, even in my free time.

So either his phone isn't an N900, or a strange N900, or the OS is not Symbian, and he's looking in the wrong place for whatever solution he needs... either way i wish him luck.
    maybe he thinks it is symbian, its all he's ever used tbh, I'm sure it was that model. Does that one have a landscape phys keyboard? Is there one like it that IS symbian and I've just cocked up the model no, it was a smart looking device, the keyboard was what made it stand out to me as "uncommon".
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I just came from the verizon store with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is very nice. I will need a case that gives me more grip. I like the Otterboxes, lots of protection but perhaps too much girth.

My contacts didn't transfer well. I've got a subset of them that transferred over, but most did not. There will be lots for me to learn about how to use android, but I will keep my eyes and ears out for webOS developments in the future. Perhaps in a couple of years there will be something hardware wise to come back to...or maybe someone will figure out how to port webOS onto this S3!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I just came from the verizon store with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is very nice. I will need a case that gives me more grip. I like the Otterboxes, lots of protection but perhaps too much girth.

My contacts didn't transfer well. I've got a subset of them that transferred over, but most did not. There will be lots for me to learn about how to use android, but I will keep my eyes and ears out for webOS developments in the future. Perhaps in a couple of years there will be something hardware wise to come back to...or maybe someone will figure out how to port webOS onto this S3!
    What made you do such a thing?
    I never thought I would say this, but after using Android for 6 or 8 months (Gingerbread and ICS after an update) and really just not enjoying it, I'm forcing myself to look at all alternatives including (gasp!) iOS. I don't know how much longer I am going to have EAS access at work, but I'm not going to carry two phones around all the time. I switched from PDAs to smartphones for a reason. If there is no hope for openWebOS to be ported to a CDMA phone, I will have no choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    maybe he thinks it is symbian, its all he's ever used tbh, I'm sure it was that model. Does that one have a landscape phys keyboard? Is there one like it that IS symbian and I've just cocked up the model no, it was a smart looking device, the keyboard was what made it stand out to me as "uncommon".
    Just google the N900... then you can compare those pics to what you remember.

The N900 has a landscape slider format with the most comfortable keyboard ever created. On the back it has a boxy camera hole with a sliding door that has to be opened manually, behind which there's a macro-capable camera and dual flash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

I've always backed up my contacts with Google since my Pre- days....if anything...I have too many contacts. As for the girth....you get used to it quick, and once you drop it a few times are thankful for it. There are other alternatives...but I NEED a tank for a case. My cellphone history (breakages, losses, etc) is nothing short of deplorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I've always backed up my contacts with Google since my Pre- days....if anything...I have too many contacts. As for the girth....you get used to it quick, and once you drop it a few times are thankful for it. There are other alternatives...but I NEED a tank for a case. My cellphone history (breakages, losses, etc) is nothing short of deplorable.
    I agree with you, a little more thickness can be a good thing. I recall my centro never felt right until I got a case for it. Don't know why all of a sudden phones have to be so thin, just makes them easier to drop
    Grabber5.0, geekpeter and Jozz like this.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Hey there folks, it’s been a long time since I've been around.
    My wife and I started out with Palm Treo 650s our first cell phones ever and then onto the 750s and then came the pre. I could not wait to get my hands on that phone, but then I had to wait a stinking year before it would come to At&t and then went to pre2 along with 2 touch pads and then shortly after the whole HP fiasco. waited another year and now last month I moved on to Windows phone 8 and I'm really liking it but I sure do miss the UI of webOS particularly the gestures, I find myself trying to find menus and so forth on my Nokia Lumia 920. The 920 is an awesome phone I hope they continue to innovate like palm did.
    Good luck and long live webOS!
    Hope they are able to put it into a lot of ordinary things to make them extra-ordinary.
    David
    Looking at Android and found that the interface just continues to suck overall. iOS has an easy interface, but I don't like the lock down. Seen some BB10 videos, and it seems jumbled. Don't really care for it. Windows 8, however, has grown on me, and I really like the Lumia line, so that is probably the route I go. Google, quite frankly, has become more "evil" than MS lately, so that is a factor too. I'll keep my TouchPad and keep loving webOS in that way, but the phone situation is clearly going bye-bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    What made you do such a thing?
    Do you mean move from webOS to something else? Please know that webOS is my favorite OS, but given the state of things, I had to step out of the ring and into another OS.

I wanted to keep webOS, but there were no reasonable choices to do so...partly because my company pays for my phone and service. I could not convince them that is was just a safe to have me on a webOS phone as a supported OS. My Pre2 was crashing on me too. I have not gotten several texts that have been sent to me over the last 3 weeks. I would get lock ups most days, and rebooting (which used to take over 7 minutes) was taking 20 or 30 minutes...with Sym-Grey-R key intermittent resets during the reboot if it got stuck. The slowness of loading up emails, some emails wouldn't finish rendering, GPS crippling by Verizon (can't go to another provider, remember, company phone).

There's probably more, but the just of it was, I needed a new phone, webOS hardware that would satisfy the company was not there.

This is a good phone, the Galaxy S3, and I will try to become well acquainted with it and make it work for me. Maybe the development of webOS Open Source will result in new options in the future. I hope so, and I will keep aware of what's happening on that front.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I moved on a while ago.. Still pick up the pre2 to play with it once in a while. Feels sooooo good in the hand. All these black slab form factors popularized by Apple has come at the cost of ergonomics. Anyway, coming from webOS land where I would always carry a spare battery, have a touchstone everywhere, charge whenever I could, and even go so far as buying a 2600 extended battery with touchstone mod... I chose to go android and get a Motorola droid razr Maxx. It has its pros and cons just like every other phone but the build quality and better yet the crazy 3300 mA battery is just awesome. It's truly refreshing to know that my battery will last for over a day on a charge.

Now only if webOS could run on this thing....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12