View Poll Results: Is Handspring "done"?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 19.05%
  • No

12 57.14%
  • Don\'t know

3 14.29%
  • Don\'t care - switched brands ages ago

2 9.52%
  1.    #1  
    According to a story posted at PDABuzz.com, Handspring has announced that they are discontinuing the Treo 90 and 180 and pushing retailers to move existing inventory by cutting the price of both units by $100.

So I look at this article, and I sit back in my moderately comfortable task chair here at work, and I think..."F**k. What the hell does this mean?"

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this. Just like that, they discontinue their one remaining non-phone/PDA monster, leaving the high-end color Treo (270/300, depending on carrier) as the only product on their active product list. Is this a sign that new, more advanced Treos are on the way? Or that HS is going the way of RIM/Blackberry and appealing strictly to enterprise users? Or is that the fat lady I hear warming up in the background?

18 months ago, I was probably as vocal a cheerleader for Handspring (products and company in general) as you would find. But after seeing no forward motion on development/OS improvements for my Prism, followed by the obsolescence of the entire Visor line, and now this...I just don't know what to think of Handspring anymore.
    What do you think, Sirs?
    Pure conjecture on my part:

Having had the delightful experience of once, long ago and far away, being with a company whose hidden agenda (at least to its senior staff) was to slide down the tubes, since the top three in the organization were bored and had lovely golden parachutes just begging to be opened ...

Perhaps a similar scenario exists at HS.

For some reason, I get the sense that there is a method in the madness. Clever and inventive folks, when bored, often turn their minds to mischief (and creative accounting).
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by alight
    Pure conjecture on my part:

Having had the delightful experience of once, long ago and far away, being with a company whose hidden agenda (at least to its senior staff) was to slide down the tubes, since the top three in the organization were bored and had lovely golden parachutes just begging to be opened ...

Perhaps a similar scenario exists at HS.

For some reason, I get the sense that there is a method in the madness. Clever and inventive folks, when bored, often turn their minds to mischief (and creative accounting).
    You may very well be on to something there.

Why couldn't Jeff, Donna & Co. just go nuts and start naming computers after their kids, like Steve Jobs did in the 80s? =)

Seriously, tho, I would personally love to see HS rebound and start making kick-*** innovative products again. Really, I would. But I just don't see it happening.
    What do you think, Sirs?
    Originally posted by critic

Seriously, tho, I would personally love to see HS rebound and start making kick-*** innovative products again. Really, I would. But I just don't see it happening.
    From all my previous posts, I've expressed that same wish and same observation that I don't see it happening either. In my experience, a corporation takes on the personality of its founder(s). It seems you can replace the people from the top down and still that original personality clings on.

I suspect one of the main things forcing Handspring to crawl along is a lot of various contractual obligations to vendors, suppliers, etc. that they are scrambling for ways to get out of.

What I would so much like to see is someone else who has the common sense to see the tremendous potential of the product (even just as a book reader) take over/buy the rights/clone it.

Palm really missed it with the Zire (who really wants a rechargeable address book?)

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

Palm really missed it with the Zire (who really wants a rechargeable address book?)

Guess not...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4964
    You can fool all of the people some of the time
    and
    Some of the people all of the time
    but
    You can't fool all of the people all of the time, etc., etc.

Would really enjoy checking back with the folks who "bought it" after, oh say, a month to six weeks.

And, hey, I could be way off base. It sure wouldn't be the first time.
    Who wants to start the Handspring death watch pool..?? see who comes out the nearest to the date when they declare Chpt. 11 or get bought out..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    What did you have in mind?

On the one hand, the idea of anything that bashes or trashes Handspring doesn't appeal to me.

Be great if Visor users could somehow unite to create something positive. If that sounds vague, well, it is. It just comes from a sense of wanting Visors/visor clones to be available and, even, more widely available. As a result of the article on my site, I hear from people all over the globe who use and really like their Visors, esp. for book reading.

Somehow or other, we need to rise above Handspring, the company, and put the focus on Visor. And, if HS benefits, well, so be it.

I'm open to ideas.
    Would really enjoy checking back with the folks who "bought it" after, oh say, a month to six weeks.
    I imagine PalmSG is hoping they come back and buy a more advanced PDA from their lineup! At least, that is the strategy PalmSG is hoping for once they get consumers "hooked" onto they OS?

Anyway back to the topic: From what I understand, HS has enough cash reserves to last at least another year and half if things get to a worse case senario. Thus I think they have at least one or two product-cylce rollouts before they possibly become defunct. Of course, if they are able to eke out some kind of profitability in the interim, then their long term survival would become more realistic. IMHO, HS next line of Treos will be the defining moment for the company. They need to roll-out a winning products that will appeal to the core of all techy nerds while at the same time attracting the average consumer. If I had a crystal ball into the thinking of the HS, I would recommend they come out with a low end Treo (sub-$200) and a high end that would attract the uber-techies. Whatever they do, they better do it quickly and intelligently b/c the survival of the company will be a stake...
    [...] Would really enjoy checking back with the folks who "bought it" after, oh say, a month to six weeks. [...]
    There's a guy on Brighthand who bought one. He subsequently moved to an m130, and then a Tungsten|T when the price dropped recently. Palm is crazy like a fox with the Zire, I think.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Whatever they do, they better do it quickly and intelligently b/c the survival of the company will be a stake...
    They are already sitting with a wonderful low end winner. All they need to do is re-package and direct it to the big target that is out there.

NEO -> Book Readers= Bullseye

I've got posts all over this board about Neos as book reading devices and a very well received article on my web site:
    The New Joy of Reading - includes some recent updates.

I don't think I've ever read a really negative comment or review about a Neo on any web sites.

And, the Neos are used/loved all over the world.

Handspring, listen up, DO NOT GIVE UP ON THE NEO. REFOCUS!
    The Visor line is a lost cause. Move on. It was nice to have the Springboard when it came out but look at the world now. The most popular selling Springboard modules, wireless, camera and MP3, are all included in newer PDA's today. With these features built in, it's better to have an SD slot. It makes no $$$ sense to keep building units with a Springboard module. It's time has past.

I thought the Treo 90 was somewhat of a mistake when it came out. It only makes sense that it was discontinued due to similar competitor models with 16 bit color being priced the same killing it. Handspring just can't compete with Palm and Sony in the handheld only market. They NEED to create their niche in the handheld/cell phone market.

I think the Treo 270 and 300 will become the Handspring low end models when the new Treo's come out and drop their prices down. Too bad they didn't put an SD slot in them.
    Problem with the majority of the Treo line is they are cell phones too.. I don't want or need another cell phone, I am happy with the cheesy basic Nokia I have.. so for me, it's cheap and if it gets broken or stolen I don't really give a hoot, so this eliminates Handspring as a vendor for me when I am ready to look for something to replace my Prism.. handsprings loss.. they went from being the #2 (well on their way to being #1) palm vendor to being a mediocre over price cell phone maker.. what a waste..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  14. cml

They are already sitting with a wonderful low end winner. All they need to do is re-package and direct it to the big target that is out there.

NEO -> Book Readers= Bullseye

Handspring, listen up, DO NOT GIVE UP ON THE NEO. REFOCUS!
    Actually, around July 2002 I saw blister packed Blue Neos with original EyeModules at the BJ's Wholesale Club (like a Sam's or Costco's) near me for $120. That's a good deal - and they went pretty fast. If they rolled Neo's out like that to Walmarts and Targets I think they would sell very well.

A couple friends have asked me what they should get for a PDA and I have had to recommend- a Zire, because it is the only PDA sold around here for under $150.

If Handspring did this perhaps we could convince them to burn PalmOS 4 and a book reader into the ROM

- cml
  15.    #15  
    Well, I think I'm nearly set to buy a Tungsten T. Between the price drop and a 10% coupon from Best Buy, the price has dropped enough to make the TT a reasonable buy. Plus, with Best Buy's replacement plan, I can always upgrade down the road if something newer and better comes along.

It's a shame, really. I was one of the early adopters of the Prism, and I had really high hopes for it. But a combination of large form factor, lack of development (of anything I would be interested in) from Springboard developers, and sheer apathy on Handspring's part (I STILL can't get it to sync right with OSX) leads me to think that it's time for a change...
    What do you think, Sirs?
  16.    #16  
    It is done. I picked up the Tungsten T this morning, and I'm loving it. Even with the Palm hard case, it's still smaller and lighter than my old Prism. (And I don't have to worry about the paint rubbing off!)

I do have one question: I picked up a Bluetooth USB adapter for my powerbook this morning as well, and I've managed to successfully (if slowly) sync my TT wirelessly. My question is - does anyone know how to use this type of connection to pass a LAN connection through to the handheld? I would love to be able to surf the web on my TT using my computer as an "access point", but I can't figure out how...
    What do you think, Sirs?
    critic,

Check out this article on PIC...
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for the link, but naturally no one seems to have found a way to make it work with Mac OSX. (Well, there is ONE workaround, but it involves using the terminal line to edit system files, and I'm not comfortable doing that.)
    What do you think, Sirs?