Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kataran
  1.    #1  
    So I recently upgraded my phone to the iPhone 5 and while the phone is magnitudes faster than the Pre (c'mon the phone's 3+ years old now), it's littered with bugs and problems and it's infuriating the ios community. I'm baffled as how this is not making the rounds in the news. First, there was the purple light problem (mine included). Apple blames consumers. Then the USB dongle is reportedly getting stuck in people's computers (mine included), then people were complaining about garbled/fuzzy screens (mine included). Next, people are now complaining about battery life (mine included). Not to mention a handful of other issues I'm going through that really make me wonder why the industry was so tough on Palm back in the day when Apple is clearly making a flop phone right now that many are arguing is a quality control issue from overseas. I can easily say that for those who thought the Palm Pre had bad battery life, the iPhone 5 wins HANDS DOWN as the worst phone in history for battery life. If you don't believe me, check out the apple forms. Or better yet, start here and look at how many people are posting:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

It's amazing that NO ONE is covering this. There are so many apple users who are leaving apple b/c they're tired of apple denying there is a problem when clearly there is. I've been using the phone for a few weeks now and I'm actually ready to return it. If only webos had a good phone.

So sad....
    The problem is the old Palm hardware weren't very good in quality, and HP was unwilling to put the effort in driving webOS, as we say last year. And even though Apple may be losing people, they've got a lot of diehards, and their loss will not make so much as a dent in their market share. (For some reason this reminds me of when Instagram was ported to Android. People raged, but life goes on.)

(Note: any time I mention pre-TouchPad HP/Palm products, I only know from hearsay. I wish I owned a webOS phone, but I don't.)
    Looking back at things, that are not the kind of terrible problem anymore which they were then, is pointless.

Palm couldn't have "stayed in". They were broke.
    Due to bad marketing mostly, but the Pre- hardware was prone to defects as well. Even my Pre+ had to be repaired two times (not to speak of the Pre3 that has already been sent to repair tree times, but that's not Palms fault anymore). In comparison to that, none of my two iPhone 3gs32GB had to be repaired.

So for the second part of the question: no, the Pre is not "so much better than the iPhone". It was not the best hardware then (quality wise) and is not the best hardware now (quality and spec wise).
    WebOS is the better OS. That's for sure, but that's it. App wise, you don't want to start discussing...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    palm could have stayed in the game thru loans or other outside revenue if they choose to

that's my opinion....

when Apple was near broke they didn't kick the bucket!
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    smooth3006 likes this.
    Right now I'm ****ed off enough at the horrible bluetooth implementation in my Pre3 that I'm about to abandon ship after being an original pre owner since '09. 1.4.5 never had these problems. 2.x bluetooth is horrendous. If they would have just used standard tools rather than wrap it into a closed source pmbluetooth binary, at least it could be fixed.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    palm could have stayed in the game thru loans or other outside revenue if they choose to

that's my opinion....

when Apple was near broke they didn't kick the bucket!
    i agree they could of stayed with it if they asked for outside help. the worst thing that ever happened was hp buying webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    So I recently upgraded my phone to the iPhone 5 and while the phone is magnitudes faster than the Pre (c'mon the phone's 3+ years old now), it's littered with bugs and problems and it's infuriating the ios community. I'm baffled as how this is not making the rounds in the news. First, there was the purple light problem (mine included). Apple blames consumers. Then the USB dongle is reportedly getting stuck in people's computers (mine included), then people were complaining about garbled/fuzzy screens (mine included). Next, people are now complaining about battery life (mine included). Not to mention a handful of other issues I'm going through that really make me wonder why the industry was so tough on Palm back in the day when Apple is clearly making a flop phone right now that many are arguing is a quality control issue from overseas. I can easily say that for those who thought the Palm Pre had bad battery life, the iPhone 5 wins HANDS DOWN as the worst phone in history for battery life. If you don't believe me, check out the apple forms. Or better yet, start here and look at how many people are posting:

It's amazing that NO ONE is covering this. There are so many apple users who are leaving apple b/c they're tired of apple denying there is a problem when clearly there is. I've been using the phone for a few weeks now and I'm actually ready to return it. If only webos had a good phone.

So sad....
    Actually the purple flare is normal for ALL DSLRs. Also I have no fuzzy screen or bad battery life Also all phones have problems like this, they aren't reported on cause they are not worth the time

P.S. I like how ironic your profile pic is, its the original iphone with webos pasted on top
    Last edited by boovish; 10/12/2012 at 04:51 PM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Actually the purple flare is normal for ALL DSLRs. Also I have no fuzzy screen or bad battery life Also all phones have problems like this, they aren't reported on cause they are not worth the time

P.S. I like how ironic your profile pic is, its the original iphone with webos pasted on top
    DSLR? Phones don't have space to fit the mechanisms of a DSLR, unless I'm missing out on the other definition of that acronym. I also read some article that had a comparison between iPhone 4 and 5 with the same scene, and the iPhone 5 photo had a pronounced purple effect. Also, if this issue was on "all phones", iPhone 4 would have had it, and I've never heard anyone complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    DSLR? Phones don't have space to fit the mechanisms of a DSLR, unless I'm missing out on the other definition of that acronym. I also read some article that had a comparison between iPhone 4 and 5 with the same scene, and the iPhone 5 photo had a pronounced purple effect. Also, if this issue was on "all phones", iPhone 4 would have had it, and I've never heard anyone complain.
    oops i meant HDR sorry also I meant battery life etc. all you have to do to get rid of it is let your phone die and then turn it back on. ( for batt. life)
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post

So sad....

Um,

Our tests find 'purple haze' effect isn't limited just to the iPhone 5

Out of all the millions of iPhone 5's that have been shipped, what percentage of those phones are having problems? Remember that saying about people that have a product that works perfectly is not going to announce it. But, those with problems will tell everyone that wants to listen?

Apple's support forums have hundreds if not 1000s of posts about people having various problems with one of their products. That's why they are posting in a SUPPORT forum. On the flip side of that, Apple has millions upon millions of customers that enjoy their products and have no issues and never post in the support forums.

Home

Three Weeks In, and the iPhone 5 Is Already Dominating the Mobile Web - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

As the links above show, the iPhone 5 is doing just fine considering the changes and going to a new map.

I have used the iPhone 5 and about 30 people at work have them and the only thing I have heard anyone say is about a scratch that was on their phone out of the box.

The thing that is so sad is you comparing the original Palm Pre's major issues to the iPhone 5's glitches that they are having ramping up production.
    I seriously doubt it. Considering I think Apple sold more iphone 5's in one day then Webos phones sold period i think its a stretch think people would just magically decide they want webos phones, especially considering they don't exactly offer the same level of media or apps. Also i think you have to consider that Apple is launching phones globally and Palm/HP was barely getting phones launched in two and three countries and very much struggled to get phones launched in the very country it was based in. Plus considering they have a 3-4 week wait to ship phones on their website i don't think they are hurting too bad in the demand department.

I have a 4s and there are several things about ios 6 i'm not fond of, navigation is meh, maps (i never use but not as good as google), passbook? useful but little support but i use the starbucks app daily and it works fine with passbook too. I tried an iphone 5 and i'd upgrade in a heartbeat though just for LTE if i had spare money and didn't have a year left on my contract, issues and all.

Every phone has it's problems. People here were returning Pre's 7 and 8 times because that wasn't enough to deter them. Honestly if people will do that for a Pre simply because they like Pre don't you think people that otherwise like an Iphone wouldn't return their iPhone 5 with a wonky camera, fuzzy screen? If the only thing wrong is a usb cable i doubt people will return the phone. And doesn't Apple, at least at launch do a decent job fixing and exchanging faulty phones. I read a forum post on imore.com of a guy whose wife cracked her brand new iphone 5 screen like the day she bought it or something and he had no insurance and the Apple store simply said "no problem," waived every repair or replacement fee and handed him a brand new phone. And even if they returned the iphone 5 many people would just get a Galaxy SIII so it's no lock that they'll just come to webos phones. There's stiff competition out there at the moment.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You know when the OP describes the iPhone 5 as a 'flop' that we are entering some strange alternative reality..

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You know when the OP describes the iPhone 5 as a 'flop' that we are entering some strange alternative reality..

i do think there is a grave exaggeration on that point and a lack of perspective. they sold 5 million in the first weekend. it was bigger sales then the 4s and that's only in 8 countries plus hong kong. they still had china, brazil and most of europe to launch in. to call it a "flop" is laughable.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post

It had me laughing.

My wife has an iphone 5. Thus-far, it's been totally bulletproof. No issues, no difficulties, no complaints (and believe me, she'd be the first one to let me know if there was a problem - this is the first smartphone I've ever managed to convince her to buy). She hasn't even come to me with a "how the hell do you work this thing?!?" problem.

The iphone5 isn't for me (I'm not a fan of walled garden no-modding locked tight hardware, so I've got an android megasupersillyphone now), but it's certainly FAR from a "flop" or a "debacle". I'd say it's one of the best phones ever made.

I'd have probably laughed with you at an iphone 4 though - I've seen so damn many "shattered" iphone 4's it started to make me feel good again about my handful (yes, 5) of replaced peacocked touchscreen-shattered palm pre- handsets. Whatever apple employee thought glass would be a great material for the front AND back of that phone should probably be fired .
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html