Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love Treo, but Tungsten-W is already out in Singapore. It has a similarly great form factor, hi-res screen, jot built-in, and an ultra long-life battery( up to 10 hrs talk-time and 250 hrs standby.)
    The biggest downside is that you have to use a Headset to make or received calls.
    Who's switching?
    Not me. The GPRS pricing stinks and the no-headset is a dealbreaker for me.
    Originally posted by Japorms

Who's switching?
    I would, if it didn't need the headset for voice calls. That's a showstopper as far as I'm concerned.
    If it wasn't for this (major) setback, I'd certainly give the T|W a try... HiRes and 10h talk-time battery are a must. And... I WANT AN SD SLOT!
    I droped 5 hundred for treo, i'm using it for a few years
    No headset just seems like too inconvenient for me to switch.
    No headset is not much of a drawback for me, as more than 90% of the time, I am using my Treo 270 with a headset.

I haven't seen the Tungsten W, yet.
    Did you 'play' with it a little?
    What did you think? How does it hold?
    Is it Bluetooth-enabled (I take for a fact that it comes with GPRS straight out from the box)?
    Does it have extension slots?

Thank you to share your experience with us!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Headset only - problem. Not same processor as T-T (as I understand it) - problem. 2 piece to take the cover off (one hand to hold TW, one to plug in headset and one to hold cover) - does it come with an optional third hand ? (forgot to slide it open to get to the keyboard. Trade off for a better battery ? Not yet.
    Originally posted by dennis3232
    No headset is not much of a drawback for me, as more than 90% of the time, I am using my Treo 270 with a headset.

I haven't seen the Tungsten W, yet.
    Did you 'play' with it a little?
    What did you think? How does it hold?
    Is it Bluetooth-enabled (I take for a fact that it comes with GPRS straight out from the box)?
    Does it have extension slots?

Thank you to share your experience with us!
    No built in Bluetooth. It has an SD slot for expansion that accepts a Palm Bluetooth card (another $129).
    I totally agree on the headset... they've pushed it pretty far to the data only side by doing this. I'm supposed to be having an interview with them next week, and that is one question I am going to ask... why did you omit this simple feature. If I don't get hung up in NDS, I'll be posting the interview at pdaPhoneHome.

There are several products now in this space... that are Palm based.... besides the Tungsten.

The new Samsung i-330 is a very compact device... I was quite surprised at its size compared with regular cell phones. And, the the new Kyocera 7135 is also pretty nice, although it looks a little large to me... the Samsung i-500 may be a better choice.

Its a pretty exciting time for pdaPhones, and I think the market is going to wiggle around with features until they settle on the important must-haves. There will always be different form factors.

But, I don't think a pdaPhone is going to do well without the ability to answer without an earbud.
    Mike Collins
    pdaPhoneHome, Home of the Treo 600 FAQ
    Originally posted by sgruby

No built in Bluetooth. It has an SD slot for expansion that accepts a Palm Bluetooth card (another $129).
    No built-in Bluetooth?
    It's a mistake.
    Having to use a headset only if the device was Bluetooth-enabled out-of-the-box would be OK as it increases your freedom, even more so than having to bring the phone up to your ear.
    But adding an extra US$129 to be able to do so:
    It's a no-way!

As McCollin says:
    There are exciting your devices coming out.
    Palm may have made a mistake by overlooking those important details that make a difference between one device and the other (as it is already the case in the Pocket PC world).
    Not for me ... the size of Tungsten W is bigger than my current Treo 270 ... must use headset for the phone functions is a no-no .. and the keyboard has no backlight ...
    Scenario:
    Phone rings.
    "it's a call!" just get out my earbud, plug it in (fumble, fumble...) Stick it in my ear... "Hey! Where did my call go?"

Speaker (or lack there of) issue seems to be the biggest downfall for an otherwise good machine. Not sure who at Palm said 'yes, great idea!' to the earbud thing. Speaker seems like a pretty obvious omission.

Ok, Palm do promote it as a 'Data-centric' device. But personally, I use the phone on my Treo a lot more than email, sms, surfing. Palm do have some pretty cool stuff on it tho which makes Treo look a little old but geeee, get the basics right first before adding the whipped cream and cherries.

Tungstunned is not for me.
    i am using a dead speakerphone 180g for months now. one gets used to using the headset. what disturbs me most about the tungstenW is that its not pure graffiti. i probably belong to the stubbornly conservative smartphone users who refuses to have a keyboard device even though it might be more practical. they should have made a tungstenW G-edition. i'll stick to my 180G until another proper pure graffiti very palm like smartphone appears in the market (which i doubt will ever happen). I HATE KEYBOARDED PALMTOPS, they are just not palms any more.
    Originally posted by jinx
    I HATE KEYBOARDED PALMTOPS, they are just not palms any more.
    The Treo is not JUST your every day Palm. It has a phone, SMS, email bla bla bla. Thought must be given when entering data into a machine of this type.

But I hear you and totally agree with your comment - "i probably belong to the stubbornly conservative smartphone users who refuses to have a keyboard device even though it might be more practical"
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I like my Treo 270. I really thought I wanted a Treo with Graffitti, but I got a deal on the 270 that I couldn't pass up ($375 with shipping) The keyboard works so well it is amazing. I can send and receive emails and sms messages much faster than with graffitti. As to no headset, I think I couldn't live with that. I like being able to grab the Treo, flip it open and talk. If the Tungsten W had built-in Bluetooth, at least one could use a Jabra or Motorola bluetooth headset, but it would still have to be stuck in the ear all the time to really be able to answer quickly.

On the SD slot, I really wish Handspring had put onein the Treo 270. It would have made it the ultimate device for expansion. That and a Springboard sled or 802.11 and I would be in heaven!
    someone make a cover for the tungsten w that acts as a speaker/mouthpiece. it's very unobtrusive and pretty minimal. this makes me much more open to giving it a try. I bet there will be a lot more third partiers also developing some sort of speaker/mic combos...
    here is a link to pics of the cover (scroll down to "palm solutions group": Tungsten W speaker/cover
    My brother has the Tungsten T. The screen is beautiful, and the ARM processor is fast.

Unfortunately, I believe the W is going to use the slower processor, and combine that with earpod only phone usage, and it's a step back from the treo. I expect the next version of Treo will have hi res, os5, and SD card support.

I love this treo. My friends are amazed that I have one device that does phone, email, web, and pda all in one. My wife's complaint about it is that I won't shut up about the thing.

Cluemeister
    Originally posted by Cluemeister

Unfortunately, I believe the W is going to use the slower processor, and combine that with earpod only phone usage, and it's a step back from the treo. I expect the next version of Treo will have hi res, os5, and SD card support.
    I really don't give a rat's *** about the processor or the PalmOS version. DragonballVZ and OS 3.5 work beautifully on current Treos, and I don't feel the need for more. But I agree on the hi-res screen and SD slot issues... A better battery (like T|W's) and a transflexive screen would also be nice (reflexive screens are a pain in the arse when you try to find a contact or read a message in broad daylight).
    SD would enable a whole lot of enhancments (bluetooth, backups, minicameras, etc), so my first enhancment would be adding it.
    Originally posted by spyder

I really don't give a rat's *** about the processor or the PalmOS version. DragonballVZ and OS 3.5 work beautifully on current Treos, and I don't feel the need for more. But I agree on the hi-res screen and SD slot issues...
    I didn't care about the processor speed either until I used my brother's Tungsten. The screen changes and application launching are immediate. I didn't notice the lag on the Treo until I used the Tungsten. Once you've used OS 5, and seen the faster response times of the ARM, and seen the graphics capabilities of the hi res screen, you don't want to go back.

Cluemeister
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast