Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by Scott R

I believe it's just an add-on flip cover that's coming out in April for $40. It's not like the Treo's though, it flips open to the side. The mic and speaker are on the outside of the case, so you actually keep it flipped closed while you talk with it. Seems a bit kludgey to me, but I give credit to the 3rd party who developed it to try and make up for Palm's short-sightedness.

Scott
    Thank you, Scott -

I saw some pictures of it on the Treo 300 area, and I have to say I agree with you. However, my biggest complaint about the Treo has always been it's screen. The "W" seems to be on par with the Clie's for screen quality... I'll have to check one out when they're released and find out for myself.

Don't know if I can part with my Treo, however...

LZ
    Originally posted by Scott R

I believe it's just an add-on flip cover that's coming out in April for $40. It's not like the Treo's though, it flips open to the side. The mic and speaker are on the outside of the case, so you actually keep it flipped closed while you talk with it. Seems a bit kludgey to me, but I give credit to the 3rd party who developed it to try and make up for Palm's short-sightedness.
    Follow that link to learn more about the Palm Tungsten W and the flip cover announced for April...
    http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=3099
  3.    #43  
    any news on the Jabra FreeSpeak Bluetooth headset, which includes a Bluetooth receiver that clips into the headset port of the tungsten-W?
    Originally posted by Japorms
    any news on the Jabra FreeSpeak Bluetooth headset, which includes a Bluetooth receiver that clips into the headset port of the tungsten-W?
    My guess would be that either of the two current Freespeaks will work with this. Although I can't find any specs specific to the headset jack on palm.com.
    You hit the nail on the head. And I'll add that Sprint's vision and "no-charge-per-message" text messaging and great quality make me completely pleased with the Treo 300. BTW. I just switched from a Treo 270 and Cingular. I use vision a "lot".

Originally posted by ryker
    Not for me ... the size of Tungsten W is bigger than my current Treo 270 ... must use headset for the phone functions is a no-no .. and the keyboard has no backlight ...
    Believe it or not, I am happy with my Treo EVERY DAY, and can't believe my luck to have such a great device after years as an early adopter of ever-more useful devices: Sony MagicLink, Sharp PDA (I can't recall its model name -- Sharp 300?), Psion5, Palm VII, Mitsubishi T250 phone with data capability, etc. Finally my Treo 180 succeeded in doing it all, and the combined price for 500 national minutes with Cingular is less than I was paying for a heavy, rarely-used phone, and my Palm VII. Admittedly, I'm on my second Treo 180 since April, 2002, as the first had the typical "tiny speaker wire syndrome." after 5 months of reliable service. The free (well, they made me pay $25 replacement phone has worked flawlessly since September. Since January I have had the option from Cingular to switch to the Treo 270 without penalty, but I am having trouble justifying to myself the $500 expense. I may do it anyway. Color would be better; for example MapQuest maps are unreadable in b/w.
    I believe Palm made a MAJOR MISTAKE in designing the Tungsten W so as to force the user to find and pull out an ear bud to answer phone calls.
    Treo user, 67+
    I'm confused about this remark by "Tumbler" from Fremont, CA: "The T/W April model will come with a flip cover and it has a built in speaker/Mic piece just like the Treo. Plus the SD card slot, 320x320 res at 65k color, GSM 1900, 1800 and 900 tri-band, Palm OS 4.1.1, pocket friendly antenna, thinner case. Definitely, I am switching." Is this true? My understanding is that there is no built-in speaker/Mic piece in the Tungsten-W. If there will be, I would look at it as an alternative to the Treo 270. Steve, S. Calif.
    Treo user, 67+
    palm will release an "add-on" flip cover with a built in speaker/mic. it will retail for $40. there will also be 3rd party one as well. the cover will flip to the side like a book. it will allow you to use the phone part of the tungsten without a headset.
    palm will release an "add-on" flip cover (it is not included) with a built in speaker/mic. it will retail for $40. there will also be 3rd party one as well. the cover will flip to the side like a book. it will allow you to use the phone part of the tungsten without a headset.
    The Tungsten W probably compares well to PocketPC phones and Blackberries.

I want something with the exact same form as the Treo, but with a faster processor, higher-res screen (mostly for remote PC app), more memory and SD slot.

Oh and better management of the data connection; mine never seems to notice when the data connection is no longer open, and most of my data apps won't realize the error and correct it.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The T-W isn't trying to be a Treo sans mic and speaker, it's trying to be a color i705. The phone capability is there only because it would be silly to leave it out when it's using a cellphone network, not because they expect anyone to actually use it.
    There are two advantages to this approach, especially for enterprise users: First, it's not built around a phone function for which the company might not want to pay airtime costs. Second, it looks like a PDA, not a phone... and the impression one makes in a meeting while using a PDA is much different from the one made while using a phone.
    As for the backlight, I'm guessing it simply didn't occur to the design team, who were used to working with Grafitti - which does not require illumination for accurate input - and were working in well-lit offices. It's an understandable mistake, but it presents a serious handicap considering the way these devices are often used.
    That's my 2, anyhow.

-Rusty
    Treo 270 GSM/GPRS on AT&T
    i705 user / Palmnet victim
    (Beware Proprietary Networks!)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123