Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Cluemeister

I didn't care about the processor speed either until I used my brother's Tungsten. The screen changes and application launching are immediate. I didn't notice the lag on the Treo until I used the Tungsten. Once you've used OS 5, and seen the faster response times of the ARM, and seen the graphics capabilities of the hi res screen, you don't want to go back.
    Except that the Tungsten W doesn't work on Palm OS 5 but Palm OS 4.1.1...
    Check specs at http://www.palm.com/products/handhel...n-w/specs.html
    Not to mention that the processor is the same speed too!
    my treo 180 speaker died too..these things, loveable as they are and superior - at the moment - to the opposition...must get more reliable. I'm thinking about switching to 270 soon but they seem to have reliability probs too. This is a major drawback when you're using it a lot for phone stuff....I wonder how long Handspring will be around..at the moment they're getting left behind on the tech front and their only major adv over tungsten etc is the ability to use it like a proper phone
    There are a lot of avid supporters of the Treo here including myself - that is until I played with the TungstenW. It's just that much better than the Treo.

My first impressions are (not a list of features or pros and cons) in no particular order:

- construction quality, very solid and the SIM card cover will not drop off by itself like in my Treo
    - larger in the hand but still comfortable to hold. Feels fine in the slacks front pocket
    - screen is much sharper, brighter and larger! Yes it's very obvious after using the Treo for 7 months. When switching to the Treo, the smaller screen wasn't that noticable but the switch back to standard size is.
    - speed is significantly faster than the Treo. Forget what the specs or benchmark results say, the TungstenW is much faster than the Treo. I would say that it runs par with the 515.
    - buttons are softer than the Treo. I have mixed feelings about this. I'm quite confortable with the stiff Treo buttons. The home key is a stand alone button as is the slash key. But menu access takes two strokes.
    -the mobile (handphone) application defaults to the keypad page and accessing the shortcut (as per the Treo) buttons requires touching a button. The Treo defaults the other way around.
    -GPRS data counter is built in
    - no jog dial (big defect!)
    - voice call very clear through the headset and browsing smooth through Webpro (was loaded already, not sure if included)

That's my quick 15 minute impression. So impressed I almost bought in on the spot especially as the shop offered to take my 270 in a trade in deal. It's a beautiful machine and definitely a direct competitior to the Treo.
    I didn't even know you could by them yet much less use your Treo as a trade in! Where did you find this great deal? Also is AT&T offering service for the Tungsten yet?
    They are available in Asia already and as there are no package deals tied with phone service providers, some shops take old Palm or Treo devices in trade.
    I could never switch to the Tungsten W. no matter how much features it has built in. I almost never use my earpiece. It just too much hassle. I am not the Secret Service so I am not going to keep the earpiece in my ear all the time.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  8.    #28  
    hey guys, palm just announce a phone flip cover w/c will allow the tungsten-W to be used like an ordinary phone.
    check it out
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3099,3.html
    NO BACKLIT KEYPAD???

that's absolutely ridiculous
    I posted my thoughts about this over at PDABuzz and, I think, somewhere else. Basically, I think Palm had their blinders on and was doing their R&D focused on the first Blackberry phone (which also lacked a mic and speaker). Interestingly, right about the time Palm pre-announced the Tungsten W, Blackberry announced their replacement Blackberry phone which added a built-in mic and speaker. What Palm should have been doing was looking closely at all the competition and trying to rip off (and/or improve upon) all of the good features of the Treos. I'm more interested in the upcoming Sony TG50, although my ideal device would, as others have said here, be an OS5 320x320 Treo.

Scott

PS - When a company makes a "smartphone" that makes a lousy phone, their marketing department tries to make up for it by referring to it as "data-centric."
    Since Hadspring does not want to give us what we asking for like : Bigger/Better screen res at 65k color and 320x320, SD card slot, pocket friendly antenna, tri-band GSM, GPRS ready and thinner case. I am switching ASAP.
    Originally posted by tumbler
    Since Hadspring does not want to give us what we asking for like : Bigger/Better screen res at 65k color and 320x320, SD card slot, pocket friendly antenna, tri-band GSM, GPRS ready and thinner case. I am switching ASAP.
    What a lame response. Who says they don't want to. You have to wait my friend. Palm brings this device out almost a year after the Treo 180, I would expect it to be better in some areas.
    Originally posted by Japorms
    I love Treo, but Tungsten-W is already out in Singapore. It has a similarly great form factor, hi-res screen, jot built-in, and an ultra long-life battery( up to 10 hrs talk-time and 250 hrs standby.)
    The biggest downside is that you have to use a Headset to make or received calls.
    Who's switching?
    The T/W April model will come with a flip cover and it has a built in speaker/Mic piece just like the Treo. Plus the SD card slot, 320x320 res at 65k color, GSM 1900, 1800 and 900 tri-band, Palm OS 4.1.1, pocket friendly antenna, thinner case. Definitely, I am switching.
    I would do it in a heartbeat: for the hi-res screen, sd slot, tri-band, bluetooth. Don't much mind the headset-only phone, but no keyboard backlight is a mind twister, and so is no OS5, and no jog dial. I'll wait for the next Treo. It will probably knock the socks off the TW.
    Originally posted by tumbler

The T/W April model will come with a flip cover and it has a built in speaker/Mic piece just like the Treo. Plus the SD card slot, 320x320 res at 65k color, GSM 1900, 1800 and 900 tri-band, Palm OS 4.1.1, pocket friendly antenna, thinner case. Definitely, I am switching.
    The case with the built-in mic and speaker is a hack-job (I'm too tired to get into details now, but I'll be happy to rant about it later if anyone's interested) and it will cost you an extra $40.

The TW definitely has some nice features, but if Handspring is cooking up a next-gen Treo for release any time soon, I'd be surprised if it doesn't beat the TW in all areas.

Scott
  16.    #36  
    I think that the next Treo will have 320x320, hi-res, os5, arm processor, slightly improved form factor. But the biggest thing I feel the treo wont have is a LONG_LASTING battery life.
    But thats just my opinion and lets just wait.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    The TW definitely has some nice features, but if Handspring is cooking up a next-gen Treo for release any time soon, I'd be surprised if it doesn't beat the TW in all areas.
    Any idea when we could expect the new Treo for?
    Originally posted by dennis3232

Any idea when we could expect the new Treo for?
    No. Just wishful thinking and speculation on my part. Their financial situation concerns me, but they've been in business long enough to know that you always need to be working on "the next thing." How much money they've allocated to that and how far along they are is anyone's guess right now.

Scott
    Hi -

I have heard references to a version of the Tungsten W coming out in April with a flip cover similar to the Treo's. Has anyone heard of this? Is it the cover that we've read about that's a $40 add-on?

Thanks a lot!
    Larry Z.
    Originally posted by LZMutant
    Hi -

I have heard references to a version of the Tungsten W coming out in April with a flip cover similar to the Treo's. Has anyone heard of this? Is it the cover that we've read about that's a $40 add-on?

Thanks a lot!
    Larry Z.
    I believe it's just an add-on flip cover that's coming out in April for $40. It's not like the Treo's though, it flips open to the side. The mic and speaker are on the outside of the case, so you actually keep it flipped closed while you talk with it. Seems a bit kludgey to me, but I give credit to the 3rd party who developed it to try and make up for Palm's short-sightedness.

Scott
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast