Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By bluenote
  • 1 Post By Xadion
  • 1 Post By gihmley
  • 1 Post By tholap
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  1.    #1  
    and gotta say I still enjoy this dang phone! My wife is way behind in technology, and she recently decided to get a smart phone so we got a Windows Phone. I wanted her to get that so I could see what Window phones were like. Granted, this is before the new 8 software and phones, but still wanted to get a feeling for how it worked. And it works fine, but nothing like zipping back and forth between applications on my Pre 3. I have done practically nothing to my Pre 3....no kernals or whatever you call them and do very little "experimenting" with my phone because, quite frankly, it works pretty darn good the way it came.

The thing I'm bummed out about is that I feel this phone really has little left to give after another 6 months because all these other phone operating systems and hardware are just going to make my still peppy (at least to me!) Pre 3 seem like a dinosaur. I have not invested much time into "open WebOS" because it just seemed like a waste of time to me. By the way, I also have a Touch Pad ($149 fire sale) that I also enjoy and have also not done anything to it....and it works quite well for what I want it to do....emails, texting (through my Pre 3, of course), a few basic games, and the Web. But again....maybe it will be time to just switch over to the Windows 8 phone and tablet since there will be much more support. I've heard and seen videos that appear to show Windows 8 working much like WebOS....is this true? For someone who is not into tweaking and downloading beta applications to my gadgets, will it be just better to move onto the Windows 8 gadgets? I'm not really a fan of Apple products, so would rather not go in that direction.

Thanks for any thoughts on this....not sure I went to the correct area to post this.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Define "That way". Apple isn't the bad guy here samsung is and you know it. If iOS and webOS no longer existed I would still not buy samsung
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    Define "That way". Apple isn't the bad guy here samsung is and you know it. If iOS and webOS no longer existed I would still not buy samsung
    What part of the OP's comment about not wanting an Apple implies anything about Samsung or Apple being "right"? Did I miss something?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    jury is still out on win8, first phones are just being announced.
    win8 on pc has some design issues to work out as some are reporting they dont like having to switch menus from desktop to the live tiles for some apps. i myself thought it was distracting. It may take microsoft some time to sort this out so i wouldn't rush to adopt the platform. You have some experience of the risk already as your wife's new windows phone cant even be upgraded to the new win8. If the PC users don't like the live tile platform or the way the desktop and live tiles menus intersect that may slow down win8 adoption or cause MSFT to make a design change. I imagine MSFT is hoping to leverage its pc users to get win8 phone adopters and win8 devs so this all is still very uncertain.

As to open webOS being "a waste of time", it has the mighty webos internals behind it and other members of the community. I doubt webos internals wastes its time. Already offshoot webos ports has made touchpad run faster and more smoothly in about 1 or 2 months time.

But in six months your choices may be more clear.
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/04/2012 at 05:42 AM.
    Rnp and RumoredNow like this.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    windows8 like OSX is great for doing one thing at a time and maybe swapping to another program.... But have many of the same program and some minimized some open etc etc and it starts to show its issues...I am talking about desktop versions...so we will see about mobile.

I agree with the OP, My little pre3 always has me with 'new toy' envy... But I always find in reality, in what I use my phone for 95% of the time the pre3 works great, and via the nature of webos...does it better than android or ios.

really the next thing to get me to retire my 3 would be a bbX slider phone...but I have to play with the os myself before I say yay or nay.
    KRS-One likes this.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    actually osx is great for running multiple apps since version 10.3 when apple introduced exposť and was improver in 10.5 w/ spaces and in lion w/ mission control. MC is really almost as good as cards on webOS especially 4 running apps in full screen mode.
    Back to the original topic:
    I have pre 3 for about half a year. I enjoyed 99% of the time with this phone. I think webos 2.x is much more polished and good looking than the 3.x (rounded edges, better launcher etc.)
    That makes no sense.

If anything android and verizon killed webos.

And why would you even think of owning a Crapple product?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    As to open webOS being "a waste of time", it has the mighty webos internals behind it and other members of the community. I doubt webos internals wastes its time. Already offshoot webos ports has made touchpad run faster and more smoothly in about 1 or 2 months time.

But in six months your choices may be more clear.
    By "waste of time", I am not knocking those who are messing with the OS. I meant it from my perspective. I am not into experimenting and tweaking my phone. I'm just not into that. Whenever I try and tweak something, I end up doing something that makes it not work as well as before I started messing with it! As I said in my post, I have not done anything to either my phone or TouchPad and both work extremely well to me. Maybe they work well to me because I don't have much to compare them to, but I certainly don't find myself getting frustrated with the speed of either device. So I guess I'm just interested in whether Windows 8 phones are going to give me the closest thing to what I love about webOS.....which is being able to keep apps open and flipping back and forth. This really showed up this weekend watching college football games and using College Football Live! while texting, emailing, surfing, and keeping track of scores. Very simple things....but sure is smooth on my Pre 3! Maybe I can do that with my wife's current Windows phone, but not seeing it. However, it appears from videos I've seen of Windows 8 phones it will have similar functionality. Correct?

Oh....and yes....not sure yet about the Windows 8 OS on computers. I'll wait on that for sure. Thanks for the informative comments. I haven't been on here in awhile but I always get timely and good comments.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Oh....and yes....not sure yet about the Windows 8 OS on computers. I'll wait on that for sure. Thanks for the informative comments. I haven't been on here in awhile but I always get timely and good comments.
    Regarding Windows 8 - As I keep a Technet subscription for work purposes, I've installed, tested, and really tried to like it since the first beta down to the RTM code that went out last month. I seriously gave it every chance - but I ended up not caring for it. If for no other reason than that it requires a Microsoft Hotmail or .Live.com account to get all the features up and running. It's clearly a tablet OS that's been adapted to the desktop. Color me not impressed... I'll stick with Ubuntu.

To the OP, and back on subject, I've been on my Pre 3 now for about a year. I see the new 'shinies' everywhere, but I find my Pre 3 does the five or six things I need a smartphone to do just as efficiently and elegantly as it did when I got it. So, in all honestly, there's really nothing that the new platforms are offering me that I can't already do....

Just my two cents. My trusty Pre 3 will stay in my pocket till it dies... and when it does, I'll pull out the spare.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    merlin29 likes this.
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Maybe I can do that with my wife's current Windows phone, but not seeing it. However, it appears from videos I've seen of Windows 8 phones it will have similar functionality. Correct?
    Not really. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $WP8$ $is$ $still$ $stuck$ $with$ $apps$ $running$ $in$ $full$ $screen$ $so$ $none$ $of$ $the$ $multi$ $window$ $swiping$ $goodness$ $we$'$ve$ $come$ $to$ $love$ $on$ $WebOS$. $The$ $nearest$ $you$ $will$ $get$ $to$ $that$ $is$ $QNX$ $as$ $used$ $on$ $the$ $Blackberry$ $Playbook$ ($which$ $has$ $a$ $UI$ $that$ $takes$ $many$ $design$ $cues$ $from$ $WebOS$), $and$ $BB10$ ($if$ $RIM$ $manage$ $to$ $deliver$ $it$).
    I don't know what clemgrad85 knows to be true - but I certainly don't know that Samsung is he bad guy here.

Apple is abusing a very broken patent system where the US Paten Office is giving away patents like candy and lets the courts deal with it later.

Almost none of the stuff Apple brought up should have been patentable in the first place. Simple software effects on scrolling and how round your rectangles are is not an innovation worth years of government granted monopoly. The whole point of the patent law is to further innovation. The current system (granting patens for almost any piece of paper sent in) is the opposite. Small comapnies often don't dare to move because a big player can immediately sue them to death. And even big players have to walk carefuly or make cartel-like deals to avoid liability. This is bad for innovation.

Did Samsung try to sell a device that appeals to the IPad buying crowd? Sure. Duh. That's pretty much the point of having competition. If Samsung can produce a similar device at lower cost and/or with extra features - then that's exactly what should happen in a market economy.

Apple is trying to abuse a badly implemented law to protect their margins against free market competition. Bad Apple.

p.s. To avoid misunderstandings: I never bought a Samsung phone. Samsung is IMHO not a good guy - but certanly no worse than Apple.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    johncc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I don't know what clemgrad85 knows to be true - but I certainly don't know that Samsung is he bad guy here.

Apple is abusing a very broken patent system where the US Paten Office is giving away patents like candy and lets the courts deal with it later.

Almost none of the stuff Apple brought up should have been patentable in the first place. Simple software effects on scrolling and how round your rectangles are is not an innovation worth years of government granted monopoly. The whole point of the patent law is to further innovation. The current system (granting patens for almost any piece of paper sent in) is the opposite. Small comapnies often don't dare to move because a big player can immediately sue them to death. And even big players have to walk carefuly or make cartel-like deals to avoid liability. This is bad for innovation.

Did Samsung try to sell a device that appeals to the IPad buying crowd? Sure. Duh. That's pretty much the point of having competition. If Samsung can produce a similar device at lower cost and/or with extra features - then that's exactly what should happen in a market economy.

Apple is trying to abuse a badly implemented law to protect their margins against free market competition. Bad Apple.

p.s. To avoid misunderstandings: I never bought a Samsung phone. Samsung is IMHO not a good guy - but certanly no worse than Apple.
    Well then explain why Samsung has already been sued before. 8 times to be exact by Pioneer Kodak and others. Samsung is the one abusing patent laws like candy. the take and take and take and they get in trouble. And Apple specifically pointed out with the original iPhone that they had patents and they were gonna use them. Along with that if anyone is hurting innovation its people like you and your litigating companies (Shamsung). Samsung was actually the one who started this in 2010 not Apple. Also evidence that samsung presented with their emails pretty much damned them.
    Last edited by boovish; 09/05/2012 at 05:40 AM.
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    That makes no sense.

If anything android and verizon killed webos.

And why would you even think of owning a Crapple product?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Why not they're better made than all 100 of samsungs phones that they released this year
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    <thread moved>

alright everyone lets try and keep this at least related to webOS (or it may get closed )

@OP I wouldn't count on open webOS to save your Pre3 but with what has been released so far, there is some interesting things coming out, LunaCE is a great example of this. While LunaCE is not directly related to open webOS it does show what can be done when the brilliant community gets their hands on source code. Some of these cats are just learning C++ and are already contributing, in my mind this is good for the long term for me as a webOS user.

As of right now the only things public to Windows 8 is technically beta and your mention of not wanting to use beta software, nobody can really advise you on that until some WP8 devices are actually released and/or there is an official Windows 8 release (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $current$ $version$ $is$ $a$ $release$ $canidate$ ($RC$)). $Just$ $mentioning$ $this$ $because$ $actual$ $usability$ $of$ $Windows$ $8$ $is$ $barely$ $more$ $known$ $that$ $what$ $will$ $happen$ $when$ $webOS$ $is$ $fully$ $open$ $sourced$, $so$ $your$ $two$ $options$ $in$ $your$ $post$ $are$ $almost$ $equal$ $at$ $this$ $point$.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    This thread has a lot of debate about who is responsible for "killing" WebOS. Fortunately, it isn't dead, at least not yet. As far as Palm, the Pre phones and touchpads... Palm bears a good deal of the blame for getting in trouble in the first place, and HP bears most of the blame for poorly managing the tremendous assets they acquired.

Unfortunately, boovish, I'm afraid Apple is the bad guy here... They have a long history of a double standard in this arena. The Apple user interface that is so widely respected was originally copied (not licensed) from work done at Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center (Then Apple tried to sue Microsoft for copying what they copied in the first place).

Granted, Apple has done their share of innovating. However, as results in other courts around the world will attest, legal experts almost unanimously agree that Apple would have lost if the suit had been heard anywhere in the United States other than Apple's home town. The bottom line is that Apple sues others to keep their system proprietary, while other companies work hard to compete with each other. You are right that Samsung has been sued a few times. But I believe if you take a look at the legal records, you will find few companies in the high-tech arena who have sued others as many times as Apple has.