Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    So that's where those Palm engineers have been hanging out. I wonder if it's webOS-y.

Bloomberg: Facebook Launching HTC-Built Phone With Custom OS in 2013
    Jamie Condliffe

These days, you're never more than a few months away from a Facebook phone rumor. Now, despite the fact it could prove to be an awful idea, Bloomberg is reporting that Facebook is working closely with HTC (again) to launch a Facebook phone by 2013.

Strictly speaking, Facebook has already built and launched a Facebook Phone with HTC: the Status. But despite "deep" Facebook integration—if that' s what you can call a Facebook Chat widget and a dedicated Facebook button—it was a certified flop.

Instead, Bloomberg is reporting that Facebook has assembled a team of engineers from Apple and Palm, which has been putting together what the article describes as a "modified operating system" for the device. Firstly, Bloomberg doesn't make clear what the OS might be based on—though Android is a safe bet—but nor does it expand on how extreme the modification is. That leaves room for some wild speculation of how the OS will turn out, which could range from something barely identifiable to an install little different from stock.

....continuation of article here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For those of you who had their hopes up, that Facebook would base their smartphone on WebOS, lemme tell you: sorry, they just signed a contract with HTC.
    Allegedly they develop their own os (see http://wirelessfederation.com/news/9...13-usa-taiwan/)

So, the loser is, once again: HP ... well actually, the losers are we, the ones who believed in a future for WebOS.

I also read this on german sites like "chip" et al. BTW. There they speak of Facebook adapting Android for their purposes.
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 07/26/2012 at 09:52 AM.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    <threads merged and moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    i dont personally think id want a device with which its main function was facebook, its not a good enough gimmick.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    It is not so much about "what do I personally like" atm. For WebOS it's survive or perish.
    And if HP continues to ignore the market, have no strategy and bungles the little they actually do, I would bet on the latter.
    Sadly so.

WebOS for the firefox smartphone, WebOS for the Facebook phone, ... there would have been options to move back into public focus and maybe, just maybe get the footing back in the market.

But what does HP have?
    Still nothing.
    HP stated quite clearly they have no interest in the smartphone area, just tablets (winblows).

I don't get how these things are said and we get posts suggesting HP have a different plan and that webOS will be involved.

HP aren't missing out on anything as they aren't interested and even if they were their not in a financial position to do much, plus leo peeved off a LOT of hardware manufactyrers, phone service providers and highstreet retailers.

Their reputation is still worthless in the eyes of many since leo's dumb move.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    From the earnings call:

Mark Zuckerberg

Well, Facebook is the most used app on basically every mobile platform, right? So when we think about what we want to do right now, we want to increase the depth of the experience in addition to just growing users. We thought a lot about this question of -- and I even talked about it in my opening remarks today, we want to not just have apps that people use but also be kind of deeply integrated into the systems as possible. We want to support a development ecosystem, where other apps can build on top of Facebook. So that's why you'll see us do things like support Apple in the iOS integration that they wanted to do. There are a lot of things that you can build in other operating systems as well that aren't really taking -- that aren't really like building out a whole phone, which I think wouldn't really make much sense for us to do
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    HP stated quite clearly they have no interest in the smartphone area, just tablets (winblows).
    ... as we all know.

I don't get how these things are said and we get posts suggesting HP have a different plan and that webOS will be involved.
    Who did?

HP aren't missing out on anything as they aren't interested and even if they were their not in a financial position to do much, plus leo peeved off a LOT of hardware manufactyrers, phone service providers and highstreet retailers.
    ...stating the obvious again.
    Although, it's not entirely Leo's fault for one thing.
    And the other thing: YES, HP is TOTALLY missing out, as the whole market moves away more and more from the classic PC. People's demands are getting more and more mobile.
    HP has notebooks.
    HP has WebOS.
    That's it.
    If the rumours are true, the Win8-Pad plans have been canned already, since M$ announced Surface.

So yes, the market moves on. Facebook gets HTC/Android-derivate, Meego gets China, Firefox are getting their own thing, Samsung stuffs Bada into Tizen for a fallback scenario and Apple is Apple. EDIT: and M$ is M$ and tries the same trick as Apple, even setting up Stores for their new mobile line. /EDIT
    HP is ... not present on that market and has no clear strategy (which BTW the customers realize - see the busted GM deal).. Whoever is the chief strategist is completely incompetent.
    This company is only still around because they still carry some momentum from the notebook and printer market. That's it. And that won't last them long.

So yes again, HP is DEFINITELY missing out. Big time, if you ask me. The errors they are making for the last two years are allready showing in plunging worth of their stock. And they are still neither positioned right nor hseem to have found a way to get into the right position on the market, so I can't see a way of them getting better soon.

Their reputation is still worthless in the eyes of many since leo's dumb move.
    Most definitely. And not just from geeks like us WebOS fans. They lost rep with big customers as well. Thats something that should normally hurt enough to wake up the most dormant company, but it doesn't seem so with HP. They seem to be in shock paralysis and operative hectics masks mental stupor...

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Buddy1969; 07/27/2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Typos and such