Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I just got an S3, and I have already taped the Touchpad coil on the inside back of the cover. I haven't been able to get the charger working yet; I am going to take a voltage meter to it and find out what's wrong.

So far I have done nothing that cannot be seamlessly removed - you'd never even know that I tried it. The hard part for me is getting the wires to connect correctly. I'll let you know when it's completed. Any hints/gauges/that I should know?
    I'm waiting on my copper tape order and some more magnets. Will use it in the car

Good luck to us

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2
    Success! Just some copper tape and electrical tape and some patience!

This was taken with my pre3

Attached Images Attached Images
    so.. uh.. what exactly do you do to do this?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    so.. uh.. what exactly do you do to do this?
    he shows you what he did if you back track a lil'.
    I have just completed the Mod successfully using only copper tape and electrical tape.

NO SOLDERING.

I would recommend also reading this thread for reference

I would Recommend watching these videos
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ga4N_Ih9GE[/YT]

and the video posted above
    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqP3T_Mbzg&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

this method i think produces the least bulk to the back case.

I can confirm that is does not work with casemate pop with stand for the S3

hope this helps
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    R_E, xandros9 and joachimv like this.
    just to update my post

the copper tape adhesive I have used does not work reliably, the adhesive is not enough make the tape adhere to the contact points from the coil. Electrical tape does not stabilize it enough. Couldn't find a way to make it stay. My charging would go on and off sometimes.

I soldered the copper tape to the contacts of the coil. Note that the soldering parting not on the phone itself but the part you removed from the back cover of the webOS device I used.

also, I think it is better to use one continuous strip of copper tape.
    "Dock" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...riousapps.dock plus plug in launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...auncher.plugin = android exhibition mode in touchstone!

So does the phone stick firmly on the Touchstone like the Pre does?
    HP Pre 3 8GB on 2.2.4 with Skinomi Carbon Fiber Skin and Mugen 1400 mAh Battery
    HP Veer 4G Panda 8GB on 2.1.2 with clear Ghost Armor
    HP TouchPad 16GB on 3.0.5 with offical HP case.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    So does the phone stick firmly on the Touchstone like the Pre does?
    Its sticks even better if you buy some inexpensive magnets
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    So do you think I could get away without them for use in my car? Or are they essential?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    So do you think I could get away without them for use in my car? Or are they essential?

You can always try it without the extra magnets. The roads you drive in might be different from ours. So it really depends. Tho the 4 magnets coat less than $6 with shipping. The magnets themselves are around 80cents I think each.

So is that a specific type of magnet?

Finally got mine working - I was trying to do it un-soldered (since I've never really soldered before), but I finally broke down and broke out the soldering gun. Here's a few things that I have discovered:

1 - The best wire I have found is a single copper wire from telephone strand. I tried using the wire from an old pair of earbuds, but those are woven strands and for some reason wouldn't carry the current (5.5). The only thing that worked for me was the bigger single strand.

2 - If possible, solder the wire to the coil leads BEFORE attaching it to the back of your S3. The reason for this is that you need a lot of heat to get a good connection, and it started to warp/melt my S3 back. I caught it in time, but that could have been a problem!

3 - I did not solder the wires to the phone connectors itself (the ones in the back), because I want to be able to get the back on and off to change SD cards, batteries, etc. I put a ball of solder on the end of the wires so that they would make a solid connection.

4 - Use some electrical tape to hold things in place - once the back is on, there shouldn't be much room to wiggle, but before I got the back on there was a lot of play and it kept making one of the solder connections to the coil come loose.

If you want pictures I could try to take some - I am just reluctant to take it apart now that I have it working!
    I was wondering if anyone who has done this, have you tried it with a case? I'm thinking of doing it, but I also want to put a case on my phone. So I thought about doing something similar to the OtterBox case made for the Palm Pre done by TouchstoneMods.com. Think it's possible? Do the wires make the bulge in the back stick out too far where an OtterBox, Seido, or some other case wouldn't fit?
    Last edited by kryptonite_2448; 08/09/2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite_2448 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone who has done this, have you tried it with a case? I'm thinking of doing it, but I also want to put a case on my phone. So I thought about doing something similar to the OtterBox case made for the Palm Pre done by TouchstoneMods.com. Think it's possible? Do the wire make the bulge in the back stick out too far where an OtterBox, Seido, or some other case wouldn't fit?
    I had the casemate pop case with stand and it still fit with the coil at the back but the problem is that it will not charge.

I now have a bumper case. Less bulky, offers protection and works with the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I had the casemate pop case with stand and it still fit with the coil at the back but the problem is that it will not charge.

I now have a bumper case. Less bulky, offers protection and works with the mod.

I've ordered this case from Amazon: Amazon.com: Black Rubberized Hard Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S III / S3: Cell Phones & Accessories and I'm going to try and cut a circle in the case to where the TouchStone will still sit inside the case. I can't dream up any reason why this won't work. It will basically be like a bumper, but with more back protection. If it doesn't work I'm out $6.00, big deal.

Here is a good idea of the concept: Otterbox + Touchstone compatible
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Here are the pics of the after-effects - it works quite well. You just need to make sure that the "bulbs" of solder at the ends of the wires go into the slots of the inductive charging on the S3 when you re-attach the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    So far I have done nothing that cannot be seamlessly removed - you'd never even know that I tried it. The hard part for me is getting the wires to connect correctly. I'll let you know when it's completed. Any hints/gauges/that I should know?
    The only problem with that is Android logs the charging source's identifier when possible for warranty purposes. If it doesn't register a legitimate commercial product or common voltage footprint from the charging source (whether it be a Powermat, etc), well, you've just invalidated your warranty. If that's not an issue (which it shouldn't be for anyone willing to do this), then you're golden.

The only other method for disguising this information is to grab an OSS application called "BatCave" which will parse your logs prior to a repair job and make all charges look legit. Hard to find these days since it was never on Play and the dev stopped working on it long ago, but if you scour long enough you can find a copy.

Consider it akin to iPhone's liquid detection, only purely electronic. And if you use solder at all, that's pretty much a guaranteed invalidation of warranty.
  20.    #40  
    Please check out this samsung galaxy s3 touchstone back i bought on ebay
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast