Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #2  
    No go without a thumboard, for me. No way to live without that now that I've used one for 6 months.
  2. #3  
    no thumboard, no screen cover, no Palm OS.
  3. #4  
    ditto
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  4. #5  
    Looks more like a Treo seller than a Treo killer. Looks perfect for looking at your face grease.
    Treo rules!
  5. burrzoo's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    #6  
    No way will I change to a Pocket PC. Too many good palm appz out there. A new TREO has to be coming soon. It has to be better so Handspring can stay in business. otherwise they will be writing their death notice...




    FYI - Frodo has Failed!
  6. #7  
    Originally posted by Burrzoo
    No way will I change to a Pocket PC. Too many good palm appz out there. A new TREO has to be coming soon. It has to be better so Handspring can stay in business. otherwise they will be writing their death notice...
    But again, what about those of us who don't want a smartphone? I'm just looking for an modern PDA. I don't want an integrated phone - I don't need it. I'm perfectly happy with the Motorola v60 that I already own.

    If HS developed a Treo product that built in a modern (PalmOS5, ARM processer, SD slot, etc.) PDA and some kind of wireless networking in a decent form factor at a good price, I'd be all over that. But I'm about *this* far from going back over to a Palm (Sony's no good for me, since I'm a Mac user).

    M-D
    Disgruntled Prism owner
    What do you think, Sirs?
  7. #8  
    Yeah, not really the right featureset to be a "Treo Killer", but interesting nonetheless. Some first-time features there:

    voice recognition and a text-to-speech engine, a TV tuner, GPS satellite navigation
    Also the first PDA/phone I've heard of that uses the true 3G (not 2.5G like 1xRTT and GPRS) 1xEvDO network.

    I've stuck the SPH-M400 in my Smartphones Buying Guide. Thanks for the heads-up, Itso.
  8. #9  
    What do they mean by "satellite GPS navigation'"? Are they referring to WAAS GPS instead of GSPone or A-GPS? Is this the first ever implementation of satellite (i.e WAAS) GPS functionality in a mobile handset? The only other integrated satellite GPS handheld I know if is Garmin's iQue 3600? Would'nt there be some kind of EM interference between 1xEvDO and WAAS? If this is indeed true, then it will be an absolutely ground-breaking product IMHO.

    P.S. I however would much rather prefer a mobile with integrated BT + 802.11b. Wifi in a smartphone will be indespensible once cellphone companies start offerring ubituitous "hot sots" for wifi on mobiles...
  9. #10  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    P.S. I however would much rather prefer a mobile with integrated BT + 802.11b. Wifi in a smartphone will be indespensible once cellphone companies start offerring ubituitous "hot sots" for wifi on mobiles...
    Do you really think the cellphone companies will have an interest in doing that? I would think they would just focus on continuing to improve data service on their core cellular networks.

    I don't find 802.11 compelling at all as a WAN technology. I don't think it'll ever be ubiquitous. Sure, it'll continue to get more common for awhile (though mostly in specialized locations, like coffee houses, airports, universities, and certain high-tech downtown districts), but I don't think it scales up to being "ubiquitous". I think before it gets anywhere near to being ubiquitous, cell phone networks with true 3G data capability will render it obsolete for WAN use (though it'll still have a useful LAN application).
  10. #11  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    What do they mean by "satellite GPS navigation'"? Are they referring to WAAS GPS instead of GSPone or A-GPS? Is this the first ever implementation of satellite (i.e WAAS) GPS functionality in a mobile handset? The only other integrated satellite GPS handheld I know if is Garmin's iQue 3600? Would'nt there be some kind of EM interference between 1xEvDO and WAAS? If this is indeed true, then it will be an absolutely ground-breaking product IMHO.

    P.S. I however would much rather prefer a mobile with integrated BT + 802.11b. Wifi in a smartphone will be indespensible once cellphone companies start offerring ubituitous "hot sots" for wifi on mobiles...
    wow that is the machine I've been looking for...
    Too bad they dont have australian maps for it
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  11. #12  
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Do you really think the cellphone companies will have an interest in doing that?
    Check out the T-mobile site. Not only are they the wireless company that supports the GSM Treo, but they are the folks that supply Starbucks and most major airports with their 802.11 hot spots. Its' a pretty good service for folks that travel a lot or drink a lot of coffee.

    Kupe
  12. #13  
    Do you really think the cellphone companies will have an interest in doing that? I would think they would just focus on continuing to improve data service on their core cellular networks.
    Kupe is right! In fact Sprint had announced last October that they would be partnering up with Boingo Wireless to start stitching together a network of wireless "hot spots" to cash in on the growing popularity of wireless networking.
  13. #14  
    I held my Treo 300 up to the screen so it could see this "killer" but the Treo didn't seem scared or upset.

    Me neither.

    And considering how long Samsung characteristically "announces" their products in advance of when they really have any given model for sale, I wouldn't suggest anyone wait while holding their breath.

    The Treo 300 is here and real and in our hands.

    By the time this product comes out, I would expect HS to have come up with newer more-featured models anyway, at least if they keep selling what they now make so as to keep the $$$ coming in. I like Handspring and hope they survive as my first choice. But if they didn't, Palm or another palm platform mfr would surely step in to keep Treo-like products flowing into the channel.

    Unless, that is, that Microsoft and the pocketpc consortium once again succeeds with the usual and historic MS advance vaporware announcement-flow policies ("oh we're going to do that soon too and even better") to continue to cut into the Palm platform's market-share.

    What's different here is that almost all the major hardware manufacturers are hedging their bets on both platforms, which may keep the playing field even, I hope. That's all I would ask.

    Regards,

    NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  14. #15  
    I don't doubt that some cell phone companies are dabbling in 802.11 -- I just question your prediction that they'll make these network ubiquitous.

Posting Permissions