1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have been an iPhone owner since July 2007 and have owned every model that they released. After using basically the same phone and OS for the last 5 years, I have grown very bored with it. I have no interest in switching to Android. But webOS has always interested me. I always swore it would be the platform I would switch to if I ever decided to leave iOS. Since the next iPhone will be coming out in the fall, I felt like now was the time to figure out if I wanted to stay with iOS or jump ship to webOS. Since webOS and devices are currently not supported like they used to be, it is a very tough decision to go switch to a platform with a (currently) limited future. It really is a shame that HP dropped webOS like it did. It really seemed to have a lot of potential. I hope openwebOS takes off.

Due to the current limitations of webOS and its available hardware, I view this transition more like me reverting back to a "phone" rather than a complete iOS replacement. I was looking at prices on the Pre 3 (verizon) but $400/$500 seems like I lot of money to drop on something that I may not even like. So I decided to get my feet wet with the Pre 2 instead. I have only played with the Pre 2 for a little over 24 hours now, but I plan to give it a lot more user time. And this thread will hopefully allow you to help guide my experience as well as allow me to share and discuss my journey with webOS as an iOS alternative.

I found webOS to be very visually pleasing. But one thing I am having trouble adjusting to is the physical keyboard. I would much rather have the option of a virtual keyboard.

Another thing I am missing is the "folders". I figured out that I could create my own pages for apps and that seems to be an ok alternative for now. Before iOS 4 introduced "folders", my iPhone had the maximum 11 pages. I was able to condense 11 pages down to 1 thanks to "folders". So I do feel like this is a step back for me. But I can live with that.

The screen size on the Pre 2 isn't as bad as I thought it might be. Always scary going from a bigger to smaller screen. If I do decide to stick with webOS, I will definitely upgrade to the Pre 3.

I have always thought the "cards" on webOS were cool, and they truly are. I love the gesture controls and just flicking off the card to close an app.

One thing that I am disappointed in is Notifications. I have always heard how superior and great webOS notifications were but I have yet to experience this for myself. I like that they appear at the bottom but that is about it.

The camera on the Pre 2 is also disappointing, but I was completely expecting it to be based on reviews and specs. Coming from the iPhone 4S, it just wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Apps are another expected disappointment, and the reason why I could never consider webOS as a complete iOS replacement. I also noticed the games that I already bought on iOS are more expensive to buy on webOS. I have no intentions of paying for the same game twice, let alone double the price I originally paid!

Ok, so the Pre 2 as a phone is a decent phone. Calls are clear and speakerphone seems to work good.

As for the rest of the webOS experience, I am going to have to give myself more time adjust to it. Right now I feel very limited in what it it can do versus iOS (especially when I currently have iOS 6 beta installed on my 4S).

I am open to any thoughts or suggestions you may have for me. Even though I have been a long time fan and followed webOS since it was first announced in 2009, I am very new to being an actual webOS user. So I know I still have much to learn about it. And maybe you can help me along my webOS journey.
    Welcome to webos. I would say install preware and start with the advanced patches and the application tweaks. Free tether is pretty nice especially if you on sprint, I am assuming you on at&t so data usage maybe a concern for you

Also ubercalender, uberkernel and govnah so you can over clock

I think when you are actually doing some work (emails for example), you will find webos to be invaluable. I will never give up my cards and stacks, not even my laptop does it that good I swear.

Typing tips: control (white button) and gesture area moves curser. Up arrow+backspace deletes whole word

Browsing tips: I recommend universe browser. Less steps to go to history and in Google if you go to settings>more settings and set it to open search links in different browser (card in webos) it actually works in universe.

Thing is webos doesn't let you have default browser other than stock so you would end up using the stock for some things still. It has a bug with typing in text field going to address bar at first, which I expect will be fixed soon.

I think other Os have vastly improved their notifiactions over the years since webos first came out. I heard that ios is still somewhat annoying turning on the screen an such but I don't know.

But in general I think you will find it takes less steps to accommplish certain tasks, if you care. Enjoy.

PS: Don't forget the touchstones, dirt cheap on amazon, works in car too

PS: Go to screen and lock and turn on advanced gestures, lets you switch apps full screen with a full swipe (longer than the back swipe) without going into card view
    Last edited by laingman; 06/24/2012 at 12:26 PM.
    How is ios 6? What changes have they made to the software other than what we have read about that you have noticed?
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    How is ios 6? What changes have they made to the software other than what we have read about that you have noticed?
    I'm no expert, but besides the trumpeted new features, they added Government Alerts (AMBER alerts, etc), metal elements (volume slider) change depending on how the device is being held, minor status bar color tweaks, very minor things.

It should be iOS 5.5.

Also, there's a virtual keyboard mod you can use (requires access to terminal), its pretty stable, but landscape isnt great.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    iMore made a post on the changes. I read there's 200 in total but i don't think they are all here.
    http://www.imore.com/2012/06/13/big-...os-6-features/
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    as to the virtual keyboard, yes, there is a virtual keyboard patch that mostly works, but last I checked it was still prone to crashing. I've used it, and have used an iPhone, and the available webOS virtual keyboard simply sucks in comparison. For anything more than entering a single word, you'll want to use the physical keyboard.

Regarding the notifications, I think webOS notifications were a bigger deal back in 2009, when other mobile OS's notifications were crap. Both iOS and Android have significantly improved their notifications since then, so webOS's don't seem so amazing now. The advantage still is the full multi-tasking, so you can act on notifications without leaving whatever else you were doing.

One app you should go buy for a whopping .99 cents is the Preware Homebrew Documentation. You'll be giving a few pennies to webOS Internals, the crew behind much of the hacking and homebrew goodness on webOS, and the docs will show you how to get going with Preware, overclocking, patches, etc. It's also worth tossing in another 99 cents on WOSQI Homebrew Guide, which is similar info from Jason Robitaille who wrote webOS Quick Install, many services/frameworks, utilities, and dozens of patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Typing tips: control (white button) and gesture area moves curser. Up arrow+backspace deletes whole word
    And Shift+gesture area selects. Also gesture area (meta) + key are the usual shortcuts; meta+c copy, meta+x cut and so on. Pretty useful!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    iMore made a post on the changes. I read there's 200 in total but i don't think they are all here.
    http://www.imore.com/2012/06/13/big-...os-6-features/
    200 is more marketing speak. I think its mostly tiny tweaks.

As for actual features, there was a thread on another iDevice forum showcasing "[40 new features you will actually use]" (paraphrased), although it was more like "38 new features and 2 you will actually use."
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    And Shift+gesture area selects. Also gesture area (meta) + key are the usual shortcuts; meta+c copy, meta+x cut and so on. Pretty useful!
    Also double tap on word to select
    Phone app: back swipe clears numbers in dial pad, long press on send/end call button launches voice dial
    I also recommend disable lightbar patch. You will feel a lot calmer.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    There is a virtual keyboard app you can download from the app catalog that works on all webOS phones. See this app thread here New App: Quick-Keys Keyboard (QWERTY & AZERTY & QWERTZ) I personally find it hard to type with the app on my Pre3, but I never owned a virtual keyboard phone so I don't know it's the app or virtual keyboard that gives me a hard time. On the other hand, Palm's physical keyboard is awesome. I don't really need to look at every key to type and it gives me few mis-typing.

As for the folder and lack of apps, there's nothing can be done now. Hopefully open sourcing will stimulate more hacking and development to the wonderful platform.

I would strongly recommend getting a TouchStone too. Charging wirelessly is awesome and unparalleled. And being on it will start exhibition mode automatically to display app of your choice, Time, Photo, Agenda...etc.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I have gotten used to the stock virtual keyboard. I use it for just type mostly ad for short texts.

When I have to really do some typing I use the real physical keybaord, type without looking sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSn00b View Post
    Another thing I am missing is the "folders". I figured out that I could create my own pages for apps and that seems to be an ok alternative for now. Before iOS 4 introduced "folders", my iPhone had the maximum 11 pages. I was able to condense 11 pages down to 1 thanks to "folders". So I do feel like this is a step back for me. But I can live with that.
    On webOS you can scroll in 4 axes, so 4 launcher pages could be enough to keep content organized.
    Strange you haven't tried N9? I'm more than curios how it performs.
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    200 is more marketing speak. I think its mostly tiny tweaks.

As for actual features, there was a thread on another iDevice forum showcasing "[40 new features you will actually use]" (paraphrased), although it was more like "38 new features and 2 you will actually use."
    features? tweaks? Its semantics to me. Its a difference without a distinction. It's new and that's enough. Is adding l0 or so new languages to Siri a tweak or a feature? Facebook integration a tweak or a feature? (Shrugs shoulders) i don't know. I guess it depends. If you only speak Chinese and they add Chinese support to something I'm sure it's a big deal. But i'm not gonna act like adding turn by turn navigation isn't a big deal or that that list isn't full of stuff. It is.

As for the point about things "you'll actually use" sure but that will vary by user. Ironically not upgrading things i cared about was actually my biggest issue with webos. They tended to only address or add stuff i'd never use like touch to share. But never fixed stuff like the music player app, youtube, or camera that i did use.

That being said there is stuff i'd use. I'd use the siri upgrades, onboard ios navigation, and a podcast app. That Passbook app i'd use, as i already use a starbucks app to pay and cell phone delta boarding passes when i fly. plus if history is any guide they keep a few ios things under the vest to announce when they announce a new iphone. Regardless, I see a whole lot of new stuff regardless of what term is use. A big long list.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Strange you haven't tried N9? I'm more than curios how it performs.
    It's a very nice phone, I have one currently, but webOS > Harmattan IMO
    There are one or two N9 threads around here somewhere.
    Having come from ios myself, and now owning a touchpad and a pre3, I can give you some opinion on your exact "upgrade".
    I find the multitasking/cards to be wayyyyyy better than anything available on ios. Of course you are losing millions in the app department, we all recognize that. I'm not sure why you don't find the notifications much better than ios (at least on ios5 anyway which is the last version I used). I find them to be much better due to synergy integration etc. I think you will miss out hardware wise coming from a 4s to a pre2 is a huge jump backward from a hardware standpoint. You would be much more at home on a pre3. The camera and screen are much better. The physical keyboard is larger on the pre3 as well which helps me make the transition from the very good virtual keyboard from an iphone to the pre series. ALL of the virtual keyboards on the app store, preware, and the built in one completely suck compared to the iphone ones. They aren't even worth trying out, would just frustrate you. Just learn to deal with the physical keyboard that's what I have done. Once you get used to the flow of webos, and have your cards all out and ready at a moments notice, and your settings (even though I used sbsettings in ios) I think you will find webos still has many advantages over ios, and if you can live without those certain apps, you will truly enjoy the experience.