Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I thought there had been a thread like this in the past, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I thought this might help people who are trying to decide what to do after WebOS.

So after using WebOS, which OS did you switch to or will switch to? I chose Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 900), and below were my thoughts of the different OSs.

iPhone: I found my parents' new iPhone (the one with Siri) annoying to use--too many steps, and it just didn't feel intuitive the way WebOS did. I drove me crazy that there wasn't a universal "back" button. My mom had a hard time using hers (but she does like Siri!! ha!) However, I knew it was a clean OS, and it was an option I was considering.

Android: From what I read, it just seemed messy, unstable and unsecure. I was hearing off too many platforms from too many different companies that might cause the whole OS to one day turn into a big unusable mess, the problems with not being able to update the OS on many phones, the problems with viruses on apps, too many bugs, etc. However, it's more "customizable," such as what we're used to with WebOS. Also, someone stated below that Matias Duarte, a main designer of WebOS, designed Android's newest version, Ice Cream Sandwich and that there are similar features to WebOS, such as swipe away (I miss that one!).

Windows Phone: I liked that it was compatible with my PC, and from what I read, it was the closest thing to WebOS of all the OSs out there. I love the live tiles that I can customize with my favorite apps, and overall, I just love the feel of this OS. I am very happy I chose this phone. And I love too that while it doesn't have as many apps as iPhone and Android, it does have most of the big players, and that's enough for me. It's great to have access to the major apps again. I'm addicted to "Words by Post." haha
    Here is a great article on coming from WebOS to Windows Phone: http://www.wpcentral.com/webos-windo...-your-new-home

Good luck to all who are choosing!
    Last edited by HappyPalm; 06/07/2012 at 03:51 PM.
    I switched to Android when I was offered a free phone around the time HP cancelled the Pre 3. I hated to do it but there wasnt anymore webOS phones coming out. At first, android was "meh." It seemed odd after using webOS. After I figured out how to root my phone and install better software on it, I was a bit more happier. But Android, like you pointed out, seemed messy and not put together well. But then came along Google newest version of android, Ice Cream Sandwich. Which is designed by, guess who...Matias Duarte. Who was the main designer of webOS. I just got ICS on my phone (no thanks to Motorola or Verizon) and I can see a lot of similarities brought from webOS. It does seem a lot more put together than previous android versions. Those swipe away features are bringing me back to the webOS feel.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Wow!! That is super cool about Android ICS!! You can swipe away your applications? Ok, I'm a little bit jealous--I miss that feature. Hmm...well, my thought was that in the future if WP folds, then I'd go with iPhone, but if Android is cleaning up their system, and is becoming more like WebOS, then it'd be Android for sure!! Good to know. I'm glad you're enjoying your phone! P.S. I added your info to my original post!!
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I switched from an iPhone 4 to my Pre3. So I guess I'm a little backwards for the theme of this thread.

I still have my iPhone 4 for when I need some specific things. But I tend to swap the sim between the two every month or so.

I really hope to go back to the Pre3 full time when Open webOS hits at the end of the summer. We'll see.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalm View Post
    Wow!! That is super cool about Android ICS!! You can swipe away your applications? Ok, I'm a little bit jealous--I miss that feature. Hmm...well, my thought was that in the future if WP folds, then I'd go with iPhone, but if Android is cleaning up their system, and is becoming more like WebOS, then it'd be Android for sure!! Good to know. I'm glad you're enjoying your phone! P.S. I added your info to my original post!!
    Its not exactly the same but before, when you press and held the home button, you got a list of recent apps. Thats pretty much it. Now you get a vertical list with thumbnails of the app that you can scroll through and swipe left or right to close. Notifications in the notification pull down menu can also be swiped away like on webOS.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    I still use and enjoy my Pre Plus on Verizon.

And even though I put CM9 on my Touchpad, I almost never boot it. WebOS is just more enjoyable. Real multitasking is a must for me.

I guess if I HAD to switch OSs, I'd probably go with Android because I like Google's services and it supports Flash, but it's not a goal I'm working toward right now. I'd rather buy a used Pre than a new Android right now.
    I just picked up the Samsung Galaxy 3 running ICS... Its an amazing phone, as with above it now has similar swipe features for closing apps and notifications.

I've set it up so I have a blank home screen with just the google search box at the top where I can search my phone, apps contact's etc works very similar to just type and at the bottom I have the 4 most used apps plus the app launcher at the bottom. I also installed wave launcher and with one swipe from the base I get my next five most used apps, the wave launcher works just like it did my previous Pre 2.

The design is simple, clean and very light weight, yes its a big phone but it feels very comfortable holding it. It has a nice ripple effect when you wake the phone up.

I do miss having the row of numbers at the top of my keyboard like on my TouchPad but that's about all if I'm to be honest. Previously I had a Galaxy W with Gingerbread and it was messy however with Ice Cream Sandwich and further updates to come it is more than capable of replacing webOS features we all loved. Lets face it I think none of us can really see open webOS actually going anywhere without hardware and support.

The GS3 is what HP should have released if they seriously wanted webOS to work and over take Android, however they blew it. Time to move on...
    I currently have a Pre 3 and a Nokia N9; in the last few years I had: Nokia N900, LG Optimus 7, Samsung Omnia 7, Sony-Ericsson Xperia neo; iPhone 1st gen and 3GS (4 and 4S also from time to time, my brother has a 4S currently), Pre-, Pixi+, Veer, Nokia and Motorola dumbphones and I think I'm forgetting one or two Android models I briefly had - I buy them off contract, use them for a few weeks or months and sell them again for a little less, I think of it as renting
    Anyway, I like webOS best. The lack of apps is frustrating sometimes, but the webOS features are convincing: Synergy (especially that conversations happen in one place regardless if it is over Skype, ICQ, GTalk, FB or SMS) Just Type, the whole cards multitasking thing, the possibility to patch stock apps is just awesome, there are so many great patches, and and and...
    Plus there actually are a lot of really high quality apps.
    So time and again I find myself back in webOS land. I'm even thinking about selling my N9 (even though I really really like it) to finally buy a Touchpad (stupid fire sale )
    I currently using a Pre2 and my next phone will be another WebOS one.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I use pre2 and sometimes veer. will never do android, don't like the way apps and google track and help themselves to my info. switched to mac 3.5 years ago and can't see myself going back to windows, esp wouldn't touch win8 until a year after debut since msft has been slow in past to fix bugs and I don't think enterprise has caught on to one app at a time taking full screen, if enterprise has trouble, mobile may be dragged along, not following closely but thought an earlier version of mobile already got orphaned.

so that would leave iphone. and while I could be attracted to 4g if it comes on sprint, I don't know if its worth leaving webos esp as I don't like ipad ios as much as webos. so lets see what openwebos brings.
    The hell with android and wp knock off cards, I'm not using anything that doesn't have stacks. Sometimes I make some stacks an just roll like that all day. Saves on the scrolling and convenient as well.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Currently switching between my Pre3 and N9 and awaiting delivery of my Galaxy S3.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Since my parents took my devices due to lack-luster grades, I am using my original, old PalmOS m505.
    Very snappy, and has pretty much the same multitasking capability as the iPhone.

Otherwise, I currently use an iPod touch + Pre 2.
    iOS is stable, fast, but it trades functionality and streamlined-ness for ease-of-use. (can't swipe to delete in reminders, double-tap? really?, etc) I doubt I will get it again.

webOS does it the way I like it, but at the cost of a bit of responsiveness and support. Minor initial learning curve, but i love it.

I was considering Android, but it looks like a mess. But it has lots of dev support and can be hacked to fix its problems

WP7 is another polished option, but I think I will probably pass on it.
    I probably will get a WM device like the Treo Pro before I try WP7

And then there's PalmOS -- I still have my Tungsten
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Android isn't bad at all. If you like tinkering with your phone,as most webOS fans do, you'll be fine with Android.

Hopefully webOS will come back into smart phones but for now its Android for me.
    Ios works but its too damn boring in terms of user interface and everyone including their great great grandmother has one...that itself is a turnoff if you like to be different.
    On iOS, but ready and waiting to move to WP8 (once available).

Still have my TouchPad and use my Pre 2 as an MP3 player.