Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    My Pre finally just had too many pecadillos, and I had to get an iPhone. I'd planned to stay on webOS until Sprint ran out of replacements, but now they've gotten stingy about replacing Pres, and I had to take the leap.

So, I bought an iPhone 4s.

The good:

1. Processor speed and UI optimization. iOS throws up bitmaps while it's doing background initialization of an app, which is an old UI trick. But it is satisfying. It is convenient to have an app launch quickly.
    2. The camera is pretty awesome.
    3. Apps - though I don't really "own" this phone (Apple decides what I can do with it), there are still some useful apps that play in Apple's sandbox. The QR code scanner is pretty useful, and faster and more efficient than webOS alternatives.
    4. Siri - she's got limitations, but very useful while on the road to be able to click and say "Directions to Home".

The bad:

1. Tethering - there is no tethering unless I break my contract. I used FreeTether all the time with my TouchPad, and now I just leave it in the car if the place I'm going doesn't have wifi.
    2. On-screen keyboard - sucks. Predictive typing is a pain in the ***. My fat fingers could fly across my Pre's physical keyboard, but what was an afterthought with my Pre (entering text) is now an exercise in deep concentration.
    3. Multi-tasking - Sure, iOS will leave apps "running" in the background, but you can easily forget the stuff you've opened and have it suck out battery life. With webOS, I just look at what cards are open. It behaves much more like Windows or Mac in that you can see those apps easily.
    4. I don't really own this phone - there is no homebrew with iOS, unless you Jailbreak it. And if you jailbreak your phone, you're at the mercy of Apple, which routinely breaks jailbreaking with each new OS upgrade.
    5. Synergy - I really had to work hard to sync my contact lists, email accounts and calendars. If it weren't for Google entering this space, I wouldn't have anything approaching Synergy on my iPhone.
    6. Send to Facebook - I take a picture on my iPhone, and want to send it to Facebook. Well, iOS won't let you do that, you have to go through contortions to either get an email address to send to (which Facebook keeps changing) or send a message on the Facebook app and look through your photos to find the pic you want to send.

Lots more to say about this migration, but suffice it to say that I wish someone was still making webOS phones. And yes, I'll repeat the story of Rendition, which made awesome graphics cards until they ran out of money and were bought and buried.

There are pluses and minuses with this transition, but how easy would it have been for the webOS team to take all the features I listed under "good" and implement them in the next-gen Pre? Damn you, Leo.
    xandros9 likes this.
    I believe SquareD is offering a outside warranty on jail-broken iPhones. Don't know the link off-hand, but you might want to look into it, especially for the tethering. That's probably my most used app on my Pre3 (freeTether).

Usually if I need directions to home....I shouldn't be driving.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I got an iPhone4s also, after a subpar experience with the evo4g and nexus S 4g....I love the hardware on the iphone but I really miss my pre. And every time I use my touchpad I want to backdrops on it, and then on my iphone....-I miss synergy, and the way you have to update the iphone apps by entering the password every time seems backward to me....
    <thread moved>
  5. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwlkr45 View Post
    I got an iPhone4s also, after a subpar experience with the evo4g and nexus S 4g....I love the hardware on the iphone but I really miss my pre. And every time I use my touchpad I want to backdrops on it, and then on my iphone....-I miss synergy, and the way you have to update the iphone apps by entering the password every time seems backward to me....
    I've been trying to move to a new phone (got a used iphone 3 off ebay), but I just can't do it. The interface is just such a pain in the **** that I'd rather work with my old webOS phones (fortunately I have at&t so I can swap my sim card all I want between the phones). I don't see how people can stand using the IOS software, sure the apps are nice, but the main stuff I need a smartphone for are just too awkward to make it useful. Definitely a toy phone I play with every blue moon and not a full timer.

Plus freetether is a must, there is just no way around having it.
    Using a sprintified Pre2 day to day and then activate smarttalk $45 plan month to month on Veer when I need a faster connection.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I understand your feelings toward iOS. I was also less than thrilled with it when I switched from my Sprint Pre. However, with time that feeling has all but gone. I have gotten used to the iPhone keyboard which is definitely not as nice as the hardware keyboard on the Pre but I have gotten used to it and it works fine.

You mentioned the "multitasking" of iOS and how forgetting to close apps can be hard on battery life. I have not noticed this one bit. I almost never "close" the apps from the multitasking tray and yet my battery life is great after a year and a half. I make it through the day almost every day and that NEVER happened with my Pre even with better ability to close apps.

Also, while synergy was nice, I have found that iCloud has made contact syncing and calendar syncing super convenient. I am not sure what services you use but I have outlook at work, gmail for personal and grad school accounts and as soon as I add anything to one of those calendars it is instantly included into my iPhone calendar.

My contacts, apps, and whatever else I select are backed up to iCloud nightly so if I ever break / lose my iPhone all I have to do is enter my apple ID into my new phone and everything goes back to how it was, just like synergy worked on webOS.

And then theres the reason the iPhone is so popular, the Apps. I only have a few dozen apps but I am always happy to have a couple key apps that were never there on webOS like hulu, netflix, myATT, and xbox live.

I do miss webOS sometimes and power up my Veer but when I use it I am reminded of how limited webOS is and how I wish things had gone differently. But they didnt, so at the end of the day I am very happy with my iPhone because it works, and it works well.

Hope you enjoy your new phone and hopefully iOS 6 will bring more features that make iOS even better. I believe Apple will finally bring native Facebook support built into the OS with iOS6.

(and MAYBE someday open webOS will come out and run on apple hardware and make us both very happy)
    Last edited by brendu; 05/21/2012 at 09:20 AM.
    I go to the mall and all I see is people pushing that stupid home button and I always chuckle to myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    My Pre finally just had too many pecadillos, and I had to get an iPhone. I'd planned to stay on webOS until Sprint ran out of replacements, but now they've gotten stingy about replacing Pres, and I had to take the leap.

So, I bought an iPhone 4s.
    Why not go to AT&T? You'll have 3 phones to choose from. The great Veer and the Pre 2 & 3.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwlkr45 View Post
    ( the way you have to update the iphone apps by entering the password every time seems backward to me....)

There is an option in settings, I believe you have to do it in iTunes in your personal settings, so that you do not have to put in a password. It is an option to protect you from having someone else buy stuff on your phone/iPod.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I go to the mall and all I see is people pushing that stupid home button and I always chuckle to myself.
    You mean the same home button that HP had to blantatly copy with the touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    You mean the same home button that HP had to blantatly copy with the touchpad?
    Actually the home button on the touchpad is not too bad, I use it to turn it on. It is easier to find than the real power button. Having said that the home button on the iphone cracks me up. When I had an original pre with that button on it every time I lent it to an iphone user they thought it was an home button.

I remember when the iphone4 just came out there was a guy at the post office who was clearly showing off and every time he reached for the old home button I just wanted to bust out laughing. What makes it so funny to me is that to them they have the heights of technology in their hands and most have no idea that there is easier ways to get around a phone.

So yes the same home button. Every time I see the iphony people pressing it I chuckle and wonder what year is this again?
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    There are pluses and minuses with this transition, but how easy would it have been for the webOS team to take all the features I listed under "good" and implement them in the next-gen Pre? Damn you, Leo.
    They did - and called it Pre3. :-) (OK, granted - there is no Siri - and I don't use QR much)

I guess you are on Sprint?

Siri isn't easy I assume - but the rest we would have had by now if HP hadn't taken a 180 followed by a 90 degree turn.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    They did - and called it Pre3. :-) (OK, granted - there is no Siri - and I don't use QR much)

I guess you are on Sprint?

Siri isn't easy I assume - but the rest we would have had by now if HP hadn't taken a 180 followed by a 90 degree turn.
    so does that mean HP took an effective 90 or 270 degree turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    so does that mean HP took an effective 90 or 270 degree turn?
    end result was the wrong direction any way you juggle it
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    end result was the wrong direction any way you juggle it
    Yes, I guess they veered off in the wrong direction....sorry, bad pun...slow news day.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Yes, I guess they veered off in the wrong direction....sorry, bad pun...slow news day.
    i still giggled anyways bad pun or not
    Jailbreaking allows a bunch of hacks and mods (like webOS inspired multitasking UI)
    but it uses up more memory
    requires a bit of know-how (not much)
    can bork stuff if you're not careful
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    After using WebOS, I found my parents' new iPhones very annoying to use. For me, Windows Phone was the next best OS to WebOS, and there are even things about it that I like better. I loooove the live tiles and also that I can hook it up to my PC. I'm really glad I switched to Windows Phone.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Terry,
    Haha, no , just on the threads I come upon where people are inquiring about the different platforms, and I feel like posting. Honestly, I really love Windows Phone, and if people are trying to make a decision, I'd like to help. If more people had done so with WebOS, maybe it would have lasted. I've only posted in 2 iOS threads about my WP and in 7 total (two of which were my own threads). Are there really that few iOs related threads here??? LOL

I bought an earpiece on Amazon for $13, and it works great. I combined it with a ferrite bead to reduce radiation. I bought a case from my carrier, AT&T, and it made my camera unusable. Carriers don't often carry the best stuff--it has nothing to do with the OS.

Windows Phone doesn't have as many apps, but for me, it has the big ones I need or care about. If I was a big app person, I would have chosen iPhone for sure. If Windows Phone dies, iPhone will be my phone of choice--unless our beloved WebOS makes a return.

Why can't you get an iPhone? Is it not on your carrier?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast