Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes
    I would have no problem recommending a frankenpre. Had mine for over a year and still looks brand new even after a few drops.

I am laughing every month saving the $10 smart phone tax and free tether is amazing. You should have seen my little phone streaming the game on my laptop last week while the other guys are crying about their data.

I love my stacks and touchstone, all six of them. My physical keyboard too, I can type without looking if I want. I'm good for while
    bluenote likes this.
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    It's good to have the simplicity of my Palm OS device back. Sure, it's long in the tooth, but it does everything I need it to do, and I can tether it to a laptop if necessary, all without paying the additional 'smartphone' and internet fees.
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
    blinktreo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I would have no problem recommending a frankenpre. Had mine for over a year and still looks brand new even after a few drops.

I am laughing every month saving the $10 smart phone tax and free tether is amazing. You should have seen my little phone streaming the game on my laptop last week while the other guys are crying about their data.
    I don't get the whole "Neener neener, I'm not paying the $10 smartphone tax!" line of rationale. It's pedantic and misguided, and unless you plan on using your FrankenPre forever, you'll eventually end up paying that "tax" while moving on to another OS to boot.

As for me, I quite enjoy downloading pages or opening videos in a fraction of the speed on 4G than the folks stuck on the congested 3G network here. Does that make me better? Nah. It's reality where I'm at. It all comes down to where you live, and what kind of media matters to you. If you live in a large city and speed doesn't matter, well, 3G is for you. If you don't live in a large city, then 3G probably works pretty well in your case. But I'll never understand bagging on people for wanting and getting 4G on a less congested network like Sprint's and paying a little more for it.

Given that I'm on Sprint, well, I don't mind paying $10 per month extra when I use far more than what $10 worth of bandwidth would get me on any other network. And I'm not about to hold that above someone that's decided to stick to 3G, either.

Let's just agree to laugh at the people on other carriers that have to pay for their tiered data plans instead. (Just kidding; really, I'm kidding. They have their reasons, I'm sure.)

Regarding the FrankenPre...well, my results were almost wholly negative within 3 months of use. After the constant failures of mine to keep working reliably when I had a pregnant wife, well, I had to move on from webOS. No choice, as I wasn't about to put my situation at a very critical time in the hands of another hacked-together, unsupported device that people would either tell me to patch, re-doctor, and endlessly diagnose. I needed something that just worked from the moment I took it out of the box, and webOS no longer cut it. Even today, the answer to almost any webOS problem seems to involve patching and re-doctoring, and that just doesn't speak well to the current state of the OS or devices themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalm View Post
    Well, if Windows Phone continues to do well, I will never have to be an iPerson. I don't think I even have iTunes on my computer right now--I find Apple products a pain to use, and every time I use iTunes, I just find it irritating. They do have beautiful products though. My mom got a beautiful Mac recently hoping for ease of use. I'm good at figuring things out, but I don't find the Mac user-friendly at all--my mom wishes she had her PC back. Apparently, to operate the new Macs, it's recommended that you go to iMac School. Really? That's user-friendly?
    ? Strange. I switched to a mac at the end of 2008 after using a pc for years. Mac is so much easier, maybe the confusion here is because Apple botched the latest OS upgrade Lion which I ignored, I might upgrade when the next iteration comes out in the fall.

Spent hours today installing beta win8 in a virtual os on the mac. After I installed it, I played with it for awhile, was able to figure out how to switch back and forth between the new app look and the old Win "desktop". I quit when the MSFT browser did not show me the same level of options on the msnbc page that I got from using Mac safari or firefox. I much prefer the unified look of webOS. Heck even linux runs in a card on webOS.

We've been using Verizon Pre2 and Sprint Pre2 for past year and a half. I put about 4 patches on one and maybe a few more on the other one when we got it, never tweaked since and they both work like a champ. I use the veer straighttalk when I need speed, sprint 3g is very slow.

Ipad3 was a disappointment for me with flexibility so I'm hoping webOS will revive so I don't have to go further into the apple ecosystem than the mac.

HP please take advantage of the way MSFT kicked you and the other oems in the teeth. Pick up your socks and make something of webOS.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Yeah, wouldn't that be a kick in the pants, if HP abruptly announced that development and New Hardware for webOS were back in business!? (Just as quickly as they scratched it)

Sent from either my Pre, Pre˛, Preł, or TP's.*
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    I don't get the whole "Neener neener, I'm not paying the $10 smartphone tax!" line of rationale. It's pedantic and misguided, and unless you plan on using your FrankenPre forever, you'll eventually end up paying that "tax" while moving on to another OS to boot.

As for me, I quite enjoy downloading pages or opening videos in a fraction of the speed on 4G than the folks stuck on the congested 3G network here. Does that make me better? Nah. It's reality where I'm at. It all comes down to where you live, and what kind of media matters to you. If you live in a large city and speed doesn't matter, well, 3G is for you. If you don't live in a large city, then 3G probably works pretty well in your case. But I'll never understand bagging on people for wanting and getting 4G on a less congested network like Sprint's and paying a little more for it.

Given that I'm on Sprint, well, I don't mind paying $10 per month extra when I use far more than what $10 worth of bandwidth would get me on any other network. And I'm not about to hold that above someone that's decided to stick to 3G, either.

Let's just agree to laugh at the people on other carriers that have to pay for their tiered data plans instead. (Just kidding; really, I'm kidding. They have their reasons, I'm sure.)

Regarding the FrankenPre...well, my results were almost wholly negative within 3 months of use. After the constant failures of mine to keep working reliably when I had a pregnant wife, well, I had to move on from webOS. No choice, as I wasn't about to put my situation at a very critical time in the hands of another hacked-together, unsupported device that people would either tell me to patch, re-doctor, and endlessly diagnose. I needed something that just worked from the moment I took it out of the box, and webOS no longer cut it. Even today, the answer to almost any webOS problem seems to involve patching and re-doctoring, and that just doesn't speak well to the current state of the OS or devices themselves.
    My coworker with his evo 4G is paying ten dollars plus $29 for tethering. He has 4G at work but it doesn't work at his house. And this is Miami. Pretty sure I am doing better than he is moneywise, my frankenpre has never let me down in over a year.
    By the way, I will never seek out an android sub forum, but until they stop putting sub forum post in the new posts section where we can see clear webos bashing there is gonna be push back.

So please don't get your feelings hurt if you run into webos lovers like me defending our favorite operating system.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123