Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Usually if I need directions to home....I shouldn't be driving.
    Hah! Good point! However, I'm a freelance musician and often find myself out in the depths of unfamiliar suburbia, and it's useful to have an easy way to remember how the heck I got out there.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    Why not go to AT&T? You'll have 3 phones to choose from. The great Veer and the Pre 2 & 3.
    Yeah, when weighing the customer support and price structures of the different carriers, Sprint wins hands-down. I'm not impoverished, but it's far more painless to get another smartphone on Sprint than to switch carriers.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    They did - and called it Pre3. :-) (OK, granted - there is no Siri - and I don't use QR much)

I guess you are on Sprint?

Siri isn't easy I assume - but the rest we would have had by now if HP hadn't taken a 180 followed by a 90 degree turn.
    Yup, Sprint.

You know, I see a lot of folks complaining about Siri's limitations, but fer crying out loud, there's NO tech that's gonna be HAL9000 (for which we should prolly be grateful). Simple commands like "Directions to [address] or "call [someone on my contact list]" are indeed pretty useful. Especially when driving. But she's not up to much more than that.

(btw, I was going to use the Python quote "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow" to demonstrate Siri's shortcomings. Poor choice, since there are plenty of nerds in Cupertino who've predicted questions like that. Siri's answer was "The last time someone asked me that they were thrown into a crevasse")
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I go to the mall and all I see is people pushing that stupid home button and I always chuckle to myself.
    The navigational system in iOS is not the perfect the most, but pushing that home button is not bad at all. If that home button would be so terrible, people wouldn't be buying those phones like hot cakes fresh out of the oven. Anyways, I own an iPod Touch while its great interface when it comes to layout and performance. I still don't fairly mind pressing that button, just find it too annoying when it comes to switching between apps.....due to the fact of fear that someday that button will stop functioning after so many presses in a day.

However, you're right after using Palm WebOS there is no comparison when it comes to easiness of use and how people were meant to interact with their phones. With my iPod Touch, I have to hold things with two hands one to press the home button and another to hold the device. While on my Palm Pixi Plus, everything could be done with a single-hand with the use of touch gesture of the home button. Even though, the Apple's iPhone 4S is much faster in processing power and how applications opens or closes, I will not even dare to trade it to use it as my main phone.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    It horrible
    I go to the mall and all I see is people pushing that stupid home button and I always chuckle to myself.
    snip... So yes the same home button. Every time I see the iphony people pressing it I chuckle and wonder what year is this again?
    I feel the same way every time a see a smartphone with a physical keyboard. You can only shake your head and wonder, why.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I feel the same way every time a see a smartphone with a physical keyboard. You can only shake your head and wonder, why.
    I think one should have both. Vk for playing (texting for example) and physical keyboard for real typing (email for example) . If I am writing an email its normally serious business and I want to see the whole screen, not a few lines.
    I think one should have both. Vk for playing (texting for example) and physical keyboard for real typing (email for example) . If I am writing an email its normally serious business and I want to see the whole screen, not a few lines.
    You snicker at the home button, and I at keyboards on smartphones.

Among many other things, it was HP/Palms fixation on a keyboard "premiere" smartphone in a day and age of touchscreen that help drive adoption to zero and relegate Webos into irrelevance and open source land. Maybe they should have come up with a "home" button too.

The fixation on the home button is silly, just as silly as smartphones with keyboards in this day and age. Just ask RIM.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06/09/2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    My friend had a palm pre and all she kept complaining about is how typing hurts her finger tips and the device was so slow. She got rid of it. Virtual keyboards are much better to me. People complain about the size of a phone with a 4" screen but fail to realize that the palm pre or pre 3 is much larger with a physical keyboard. Also the keyboard ads bulk and thickness.
    HP/Palm did what many wanted on this board in regard to form factor, touch screen with keyboard. The webos fans in that regard got what they wanted. The result is the public at large did not. Are they happy now?
    I've actually been noticing quite a lot of phones with physical keyboards recently, it actually seems to be aside from super gadget freaks and iphone devotees, the most popular setup. However, the majority of them that i've seen are either Pixi style, or landscape-slider.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    My friend had a palm pre and all she kept complaining about is how typing hurts her finger tips and the device was so slow. She got rid of it. Virtual keyboards are much better to me. People complain about the size of a phone with a 4" screen but fail to realize that the palm pre or pre 3 is much larger with a physical keyboard. Also the keyboard ads bulk and thickness.
    Wrong again. I'm pretty sure it's the width of a 4" phone that makes it so uncomfortable for me to use as a phone(talking), and it would not matter how thin it is.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    HP/Palm did what many wanted on this board in regard to form factor, touch screen with keyboard. The webos fans in that regard got what they wanted. The result is the public at large did not. Are they happy now?
    Well, they had one cycle's shot at it, under duress. And poorly marketed. If I had a Pre with the processing power of the iPhone with its camera, I'd have bought one already, and many would have too.

Apple has become the company that they fought against in the famous 1984 "Big Brother" advertisement.

Remember, those of us who think we own an iPhone do so at the whim of Apple. We're licensing it. The original webOS vision was exactly the opposite of that. But we've been assimilated, because there are no more choices.

But we have more apps. Whee.

It might just be me, but if I spend hundreds of dollars on a device, I expect that I own it. This is not the current model.

Not happy about being part of the Borg, but the comedy of errors that wiped out webOS was not my responsibility. Those of us from this community flew up the red flags.

We are all iPeople now, out of necessity. I actually find myself rooting for Windows Phones with their execrable Metro interface, if for no other reason that it'll take Apple down a few pegs.
    The iphone phenomenon is one of the greatest ever. To me it seems there are three things going on.

1. There are the tech guys who are aware of the flaws of the iphone and will ***** about it until apple fixes it, but in the mean time they not going anywhere no matter what other platforms are doing, similar to how many palm/webos fans are still here despite the whole debacle, the lack of apps, updates, etc

2. Prestige: The novice users who bought the iphone because its an iphone an are totally unaware of the flaws, and will never use the apps that people always bragging about.

Prime example is my girlfriend. She just assumed that that if its an iphone she has the heights of technology in her hand. So I told her that apple was going to fix notifications and she said what you mean, absolutely did not know that other platforms had better ways of doing these easier with less steps. I proceeded to show her all the things my phone can do which the iphone cant and she could not show me anything vice versa, but in her mind the iphone is the best because its an iphone

3. Marketing: When apple gets on tv and says if you dont have an iphone you dont have an iphone. Its just magical, even if its not true that other phones cant do those things.

There is still something special about being able to say I have an iphone and this will carry them pretty far, at least for a while
    Seeing that we are mentioning about the things of what the iPhone can do and its weaknesses of when it comes to offering a better experience when switching between apps or integrations of apps. It got me wondering of what new things Apple could be showing tomorrow for the iOS 6, there's lots of rumors of a Apple copying more things out of other platforms like they copied android with Notifications. Last year, Apple showed iOS 5 with hundreds of new features to their mobile OS with the iCloud, notifications, twitter integration, and it looks like this year won't be any different at all.

I'm waiting to see if HP can show that they care enough about the WebOS platform to the point, when the beta hits in August it could showcase something new and interesting to the newly WebOS Open Source platform. With the recent departure of a few more WebOS team leaving HP to go to the Google department, and all the mess that has being going on currently with the team at WebOS.......Has HP been making the right decision ever since, they made the announcements of Open Sourcing WebOS ? Can the WebOS Team deliver that WoW!! moment again with the new Open WebOS when it comes to features against Apple's iOS, and Google's Android ? With HP investments in the cloud storage services, could we ever see something in the works like Apple's iCloud ?

Just wishing and hoping that WebOS could make a nice comeback and show people what a truly mobile OS looks like......
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    hp confused, not holding my breath
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    We are all iPeople now, out of necessity. I actually find myself rooting for Windows Phones with their execrable Metro interface, if for no other reason that it'll take Apple down a few pegs.
    Well, if Windows Phone continues to do well, I will never have to be an iPerson. I don't think I even have iTunes on my computer right now--I find Apple products a pain to use, and every time I use iTunes, I just find it irritating. They do have beautiful products though. My mom got a beautiful Mac recently hoping for ease of use. I'm good at figuring things out, but I don't find the Mac user-friendly at all--my mom wishes she had her PC back. Apparently, to operate the new Macs, it's recommended that you go to iMac School. Really? That's user-friendly?
  17.    #37  
    The iphone phenomenon is one of the greatest ever. To me it seems there are three things going on.

1. There are the tech guys who are aware of the flaws of the iphone and will ***** about it until apple fixes it, but in the mean time they not going anywhere no matter what other platforms are doing, similar to how many palm/webos fans are still here despite the whole debacle, the lack of apps, updates, etc

2. Prestige: The novice users who bought the iphone because its an iphone an are totally unaware of the flaws, and will never use the apps that people always bragging about.

Prime example is my girlfriend. She just assumed that that if its an iphone she has the heights of technology in her hand. So I told her that apple was going to fix notifications and she said what you mean, absolutely did not know that other platforms had better ways of doing these easier with less steps. I proceeded to show her all the things my phone can do which the iphone cant and she could not show me anything vice versa, but in her mind the iphone is the best because its an iphone

3. Marketing: When apple gets on tv and says if you dont have an iphone you dont have an iphone. Its just magical, even if its not true that other phones cant do those things.

There is still something special about being able to say I have an iphone and this will carry them pretty far, at least for a while
    I completely agree with your analysis. I'd add one thing: iPhones have become ubiquitous. When I was still using my Pre, I'd always get comments asking what device I was using. "It has a physical keyboard, must be some Android thing" or "how did you get all those windows open on your iPhone?".

I disagree that it's a status symbol nowadays. It's just "your smartphone". Apple has made iPhone the new Kleenex - a brand describing an otherwise generic product.

One thing I've noticed is that using the crappy Safari browser, more often than not I'll get some message from whatever website I'm visiting "Hey! We have an App!". Which is usually far less useful than just visiting the site in a browser. So, I'm browsing the web and find an interesting story. I'm supposed to leave the browser to fire up your app (if I can find it) to get a far lower-quality rendering of something I could have just clicked through to.

Still wishing I could get ahold of a device to let me Franken-Pre my old phone. Too expensive right now.
    props to you people still holding on to webOS. Great ideas, terrible execution and it was simply a phone i could not recommend even as i owned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    props to you people still holding on to webOS. Great ideas, terrible execution and it was simply a phone i could not recommend even as i owned it.
    What phone you owned that you would not recommend?
    What phone you owned that you would not recommend?

Don't know, but it seems to be speaking in general maybe all the phones that had WebOS installed. While I can't speak in terms of not recommending any phone, I've only used Palm Pixi Plus for a quite a time(almost a yr) and could be happier with it(not ever used any palm Pre's). I installed a few Preware patches on my old Palm phone and everything works snappier with fast responses while tapping on buttons also when watching videos. While I haven't experienced WebOS 2.0 on my old phone, it still enjoyable experience when switching between apps and doing casual Web browsing. Now, I still wish that my phone(Pixi) had better specs like the phones coming out of the market like those 4-inch screen HTC phones....but still in my opinion it was an inexpensive smartphone with remarkable elegance with a great WebOS operating system.

On positive side..... After much consideration, I've bought a brand new Palm Pre 2(better known amongst WebOS circles "as Franken-Pre") pretty positive about that I'm going to enjoy this new phone. Nevertheless, still find it very frustrating that some good apps that are found in other app markets aren't still available for WebOS. Something that I still shocking no official Twitter app, for example -- yet can't blame Palm guess that Twitter is maybe the culprit on this matter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast