Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm debating selling my Pre3 and paying the bit of extra money to get a Lumia 900.

Is it a good phone? Does anyone here have any experience with it?

What are the prospects for the app market?
    This is what I do when I want to compare phones:

Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    You won't find WP7 anywhere near as intuitive as webOS, particularly with 1-handed operation. The Lumia 900's hardware is very slick (I have an N9), but, if you like the Pre3's keyboard, you might find touchscreen typing a bit of a letdown.

My advice? Try the Lumia if you're really interested but make sure you can take it back a week or two later and then hang onto the Pre3 until you realize it has a much better OS.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Jake_M likes this.
    No. Wait until you see how much traction MSFT gets in the marketplace. Apparently the european carriers
    are panning it. Also would be good to see how the desktop windows will integrate with mobile.

In the meantime OpenwebOS is coming. You can be sure homebrewers will try their best to extend any tablet innovations to the phones.

By the time this gets all sorted out, you'll make a better informed decision and probably also save some money.

European carriers feel that Nokia Lumia devices aren't good enough to take on iOS and Android | PhoneDog
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    No. Wait until you see how much traction MSFT gets in the marketplace. Apparently the european carriers
    are panning it. Also would be good to see how the desktop windows will integrate with mobile.

In the meantime OpenwebOS is coming. You can be sure homebrewers will try their best to extend any tablet innovations to the phones.

By the time this gets all sorted out, you'll make a better informed decision and probably also save some money.

European carriers feel that Nokia Lumia devices aren't good enough to take on iOS and Android | PhoneDog
    Thanks for the insight! You're right - I should give Open webOS a chance, and it is guaranteed it won't be ported to the Lumia because of the locked bootloaders. If I can afford to have both, that's what I'll do, but until then I'll hold onto my Pre3.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I've actually been debating the same thing. My Pre 3 broke and I've been considering a Lumia 900. I posted on WPCentral asking former webOS users about there WP7 experience. Most were positive saying while its not as great as webOS, its a close second. I definitely want my next phone to be LTE and since I'm using a Pre 2 now, I might just grab a 900.
    These two devices aren't comparable: The Lumia is a good smartphone. The Pre 3 is a chest of treasures: The achievements of the homebrew community.

It's also very classy and attractive (people keep wooing at it when I use it), and has the unicorn status.

Those are out of reach for any commodity device.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    W/ pretty much the same hardware and specs, the Lumia is not much of an upgrade. Unless you're really into the Windows Phone platform, its probably better to wait for a higher end device in a few months. BTW, you're late; you should have gotten at it while they were free on contract. That way you could try it out for a month then return it if it wasnt your thing.

And whats the price difference between devices (used Pre3 vs unlocked Lumia)?
    Try the 900. I have been stubbornly clinging onto my Pre for so long and just recently I came to the realization that all of this agony over a phone is pretty stupid. It's just a phone. Try out the 900 and if you don't like it, sell it and come back to webOS or go to Android or whatever. Do whatever you want man.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    I've actually been debating the same thing. My Pre 3 broke and I've been considering a Lumia 900. I posted on WPCentral asking former webOS users about there WP7 experience. Most were positive saying while its not as great as webOS, its a close second. I definitely want my next phone to be LTE and since I'm using a Pre 2 now, I might just grab a 900.
    I second this. The OS isn't as "sleek," but it's better than the new iPhones I've played with, and I "love" the live tiles that you can customize to your liking. I picked up a Lumia 900 last week and am totally loving it. I miss my slide-out keyboard a little, but the spellcheck and auto-correct is "so" great with WP that it basically makes up for all the typos I now make with the virtual keyboard.

Also, I really love being back into an OS that supports the major apps out there, and so far, I'm able to try all for "free" without having to buy them like with WebOS! I'm addicted to "Words by Post," which is similar to "Words with Friends." I never had this much fun on my Palm Pre Plus! ha! I did love that OS though, but WP is fine for me, and in many regards, I like it better (except for multi-tasking).

Plus, it's a gorgeous phone!!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Some things to remember when considering the Lumia 900...

no bluetooth file transfer
    no universal search
    no file system access at all
    obviously no hardware keyboard
    no multitasking (other than a few built-in apps)
    need to use Zune to transfer files - no USB mode
    can only attach photos to emails, not documents

...or just check this out:
    Here are 101 reasons not to buy Windows Phone 7.5
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    ^ I can multi-task on my phone with whatever app I'm using? Also, some things on that "101 reasons" list are good things, such as apps "freezing" while not in use. This way, you don't have to close out the apps you're not currently using, because they don't drain the battery. However, they will continue to "alert" you if something comes in, like a text, or a new play in a game you were playing. A lot of things on that list aren't important--I guess it just matters what you use your phone for and what's important to you.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalm View Post
    ^ I can multi-task on my phone with whatever app I'm using? Also, some things on that "101 reasons" list are good things, such as apps "freezing" while not in use. This way, you don't have to close out the apps you're not currently using, because they don't drain the battery. However, they will continue to "alert" you if something comes in, like a text, or a new play in a game you were playing. A lot of things on that list aren't important--I guess it just matters what you use your phone for and what's important to you.
    WP keeps programs in memory (using power, sorry - more apps in memory does use more battery) but stops all their processes. This is *not* multitasking. You cannot, for example, download a video in the background while playing Angry Birds or taking photos. In fact, I don't think you can even leave Angry Birds to check email without restarting Angry Birds.

I don't get why I would want my apps to freeze. I buy an app, start downloading, fire up a browser to check something on ebay and my download doesn't stop. To me that's a good thing.

The really BIG NEWS this week is that WP8 will have *universal search* - you know like webOS, Android, iOS and even PalmOS.

Sorry, I find WP to be a great looking HMI but still a few shades from being a true smartphone.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    WP keeps programs in memory (using power, sorry - more apps in memory does use more battery) but stops all their processes. This is *not* multitasking. You cannot, for example, download a video in the background while playing Angry Birds or taking photos. In fact, I don't think you can even leave Angry Birds to check email without restarting Angry Birds.

I don't get why I would want my apps to freeze. I buy an app, start downloading, fire up a browser to check something on ebay and my download doesn't stop. To me that's a good thing.

The really BIG NEWS this week is that WP8 will have *universal search* - you know like webOS, Android, iOS and even PalmOS.

Sorry, I find WP to be a great looking HMI but still a few shades from being a true smartphone.
    Mize,
    I just tested my phone, which is Windows Phone 7.5, and yes, you can pause a game you're playing and check your messages and then come back and resume the game--I just did it. It "paused" the game for me and started where I left off. Perhaps you are referring to an older version of WP?

As for downloading, I "always" do something else on my WP while an app is downloading. LOL You can totally do that. You don't have to stare at it and wait while it's downloading--you can open up and play a game for example. I think what is meant by apps "freezing" while not in use is that for "certain" applications that don't need to continue running, WP will freeze or "pause" them until you are ready to resume them again so that battery life isn't being wasted. This is why in WP, it's not necessary to have to close your apps out all the time--at least this is my understanding.

As for "universal search," I guess if someone had hundreds of apps, that could be useful. For me, I can quickly get to whatever I need on my phone. I had universal search on my Palm and didn't use it--I just went to the app. I actually preferred that. Maybe it was because I couldn't always remember the exact name of the app. haha

Yes, there are a few things missing on WP, and I don't think Nokia should be calling other phones "beta test" phones, haha, but I'm really enjoying it. My iPhone friends/family are very impressed with the interface.

Bottom line, all smartphones have their flaws. It just depends on what you're using it for. Get the phone that is good with the features you use a lot. Decide which features are important to you and then see which OS does it best.
    One thing overlooked that I really like is deleting whole words at a time, the curser doesn't even have to be at the end of the word, just anywhere.

It has become one of the first things I look for when I pick up another phone.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Laingman,
    With WP 7.5, you can just click on a word, the entire word will highlight, and then you can delete it all at once or retype it.

ALL,
    Since I really like Widows Phone, I thought I'd list the features I use the most and how I like these features in case it might help others.

Texting:
    I looooove texting on this phone!! Windows Phone is brilliant in this area. The auto-correct and word choices that pop up are awesome. Also, cursor placement and selecting text is sooo much easier to do. It is just so much less frustrating to type on this phone, and it even highlights misspelled words while texting. Hands down, this phone wins for texting.

I also loooove how it "looks" while texting. I text a ton, so enjoying the layout is important to me. I loved the happy, bright colors of WebOS, but with WP, I can also choose what colors I want my text boxes to look like, according to the theme of my phone, and I can choose a dark background so that it's not overly bright while texting late at night. I think with Android you can customize this as well. I'm not impressed at all with the iPhone texting layout, though iPhone also has some nice auto correction features, but I didn't find it as intuitive as WP. The awesome texting is reason enough for me to have this phone.

I also love that I can see my texting tile right on my front page with my Live Tiles, and it shows me how many new texts are waiting. I also get notifications that run at the top of my screen with any new messages that come in, and a little symbol shows up on my lock screen as well.

One thing I don't like--I can't text videos, but this is supposed to be fixed with Windows Phone 8 (Apollo).

Words By Post (like Words with Friends):
    I play this all throughout the day. I love that when I hit the center button on my phone to pull up my Live Tiles that I can see my WBP live tile right there with notifications of any new games I can play with friends.

Phone:
    The phone works great, and I like that it's easy to get to with my live tiles. The missed calls/outgoing/incoming list isn't quite as nice as WebOS, but this isn't a big deal. Sometimes my cheek accidentally "ends" the call while talking, which isn't cool, but usually, I'm using an earpiece anyway, so this isn't a problem.

People Hub Tile:
    The People Hub tells you what's going on with all your friends on Facebook, etc. I made my own "group" of favorite people, and I just click that tile to see what everyone is up to. I like how their pictures are always flashing on my home page as well (of course, I could change this if I wanted).

Facebook AP for WP:
    I find this AP works a little better than the People Hub tile. It's fun to go in and like or comment on my best friends' posts and occasionally post. I'm not a big facebook user, but I think this app works great.

I'm not a big app user or game player (though I was addicted to Angry Birds a while back, haha), but I have my favorite apps, like my weather app, local scout, sports apps, etc easy to get to with my Live Tiles. Also, the apps created for WP are of very high quality (from what I read, even more so than for iPhone and especially than Android), and I have yet to pay for one (except for WPCentral! ha!). All of them, that I have found so far, can be "tried" for free, and many are just free, period. As far as I know, WP apps don't have hidden viruses like I hear you can sometimes run into with Android apps.

Game Apps:
    Again, not a huge game player, but I have been playing a few. All of my games, I can quickly get to with my Xbox Live Tile. And, I can pin my favorite games to the start menu so that it becomes a Live Tile.

Multitasking:
    If I'm playing a game, I can pause it while I check an incoming text, etc.

Outlook Calendar:
    I love the syncing with my Outlook Calendar so that I have access to my calendar when away from my computer.

Contacts:
    I can edit all of my contacts online with my Windows Live account--it's easier to do it this way than having to go into contacts on my phone. I can also sync up with the contact on my Outlook (though, I ended up losing some contacts when I did this...not sure what went wrong there. However, the same thing happened to my mom when she synced contacts to her iPhone--no platform is perfect).

E-Mail:
    I actually do very little e-mail on my phone, but it's more convenient to work with than my Palm Pre Plus was. I don't have to re-enter my password each time in order to get it to work, and it's much faster to delete e-mails. Plus, I like the spell check/auto correct feature (see texting above, lol).

Updating:
    My Palm Pre Plus had no WebOS updates available for it. The newer Windows Phones will allow for updates from what I've read. iPhone is great for allowing updates with its devices as well. This is definitely a nice feature to have.
    Last edited by HappyPalm; 06/08/2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalm View Post
    As for "universal search," I guess if someone had hundreds of apps, that could be useful. For me, I can quickly get to whatever I need on my phone. I had universal search on my Palm and didn't use it--I just went to the app. I actually preferred that. Maybe it was because I couldn't always remember the exact name of the app. haha
    Just Type (Universal Search 2 so to speak) is much, much, much more than searching for an app that you can't find. I use it to quickly set timers. You can update your Twitter or make a memo. Easily search on IMDB or Wikipedia... just a few examples.. it's really really powerful.
    I have windows 8 on my laptop and the first time I tried to "just type" I was dissapointed that it required more steps than my phone. Hope the windows phone is not the same
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I think the message I get is "wait for WP8" and since Lumia 900 won't run it...
    Don't get me wrong I am a true gadget hound. I have an iPhone 4S, Nokia N9 and am waiting on a Galaxy S3 now, but I still haven't found a phone OS that is nearly as intuitive and easy to use with one hand while rushing from plane to plane in an airport than my Pre3. Yes it needs more memory and doesn't have nearly as many apps as iOS or Android or WP, but it's a true thumb only OS. Just being able to swipe-delete emails without any prompt is something I have yet to see on another phone (all are either swipe + confirm or hold and confirm).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I think the message I get is "wait for WP8" and since Lumia 900 won't run it...
    Don't get me wrong I am a true gadget hound. I have an iPhone 4S, Nokia N9 and am waiting on a Galaxy S3 now, but I still haven't found a phone OS that is nearly as intuitive and easy to use with one hand while rushing from plane to plane in an airport than my Pre3. Yes it needs more memory and doesn't have nearly as many apps as iOS or Android or WP, but it's a true thumb only OS. Just being able to swipe-delete emails without any prompt is something I have yet to see on another phone (all are either swipe + confirm or hold and confirm).
    I agree. BTW Delete Mail from Notification is one of my favorite patches, check it out if you haven't already, get rid of spam even faster! I too have a N9, it has 1 GB RAM IIRC, and I have my fingers crossed that there'll be a port for it someday
    shadavis08 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast