1.    #1  
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    like, BBM?
    Looks like RIM is finally realizing that their business is offering up the service on a platter instead of locking it into proprietary devices. Just shows how fast the landscape changes!
    Can someone explain the real value their network provides that a secure Exchange server connection doesn't?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Can someone explain the real value their network provides that a secure Exchange server connection doesn't?
    Quite. Too late, RIM.

If you'd done it before your market share had declined, your network had had several high-profile problems, your competitors had shown they were viable....
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I wonder if their network is part of the problem. Secure? Mostly, unless they give access to a foreign government to secure their presence in a given country.

Costly? Yes. especially in a "Bring Your Own Device" environment , as is becoming increasingly common in many corporate setting. Management is seduced by not having to pay for the costs associated with expensive hardware deployment - including servers- so they are willing to take the risk. End users don't want to pay the Blackberry premium on their accounts ($15 - $20 per month extra for BB enterprise service).

Add that overhead to the general perception of BB hardware and OS being behind the curve and it make me think this move will not really benefit them.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Quite. Too late, RIM.

If you'd done it before your market share had declined, your network had had several high-profile problems, your competitors had shown they were viable....
    Agreed fully.

Pretty much every facet of enterprise is moving to exchange and bring your own device. In an MS Office based world, RIM isn't much of an option. When you are already paying for a windows license and windows exchange service for the employee when not mobile, why tack on the extra cost.

Even though I hate some things of EAS, and exchange in general. It is greatly backwards compatible, while continuing to add crazy features that RIM can't compete with.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8.    #8  
    Ok thanks for clarifying, I don't use EAS so I don't know much about it tbh. It was something I saw on twitter, and I wasn't sure how significant it was or wasn't.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    So the new unicorn device will be an openwebOS BlackBerry Pre3!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  10.    #10  
    You forgot about ACL
    Seems like the only enterprise businesses that will continue to fund RIM asa whole, adn why it probably wont just disappear the way that Palm did, is the DoD and other govt departments that think BB are more secure for VPN type data and linking of propriatery emails etc. Sad...my company is in that boat...stupid BB. They are however letting iPhones on the servers now for a few things, but crippled compared to the features you get with the BB.

Mark my words though, if govt drops BB, they will go straight to the iPhone as they are starting to somewhat implement third party security solutions (yah right, whatever). So sucks either way. HP really screwed up on this one. By now they could be gaining share in the mobile govt enterprise field that they already have a tight grip on in the computer dept.

Looks like for me it will be webOS (or Android if anything happens to webOS) and no access to work data, thus requiring me to also carry a 15.6" HP workstation laptop around.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)