Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 124
Like Tree40Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Fantastic work, everyone!

    Is there a simple way to do this on a Mac, rather than a PC? I know the drag-and-drop file movements are identical, but the terminal commands would be different, would they not?

    Trying to whip up a quick how-to video for this process, but I don't have a PC here in the home office. Is there a quick terminal command tutorial someone can give me to make this work?

    Thanks!
    i think there is no novacom package for mac... so you cant connect to the device during it is in recovery/boot mode...

    that you can see the files on the device is because the veer will be recognized as an external storage...

    the only command you need is to execute "novacom boot mem://<uImage.install" in the folder, where the uImage.install file is saved, during the veer is connected to the pc/mac and recognized by novacom...

    maybe you can boot from a ubuntu 12.04 live cdrom, and in the live system you can install novacom from the hp webos website...
    then execute a terminal and browse to the place where you have stored the .deb file (with ca "foldername")
    there you can execute "dpgk -i *.deb" to install novacom... after that you should execute "service novacom restart" to check and verify that novacom runs.

    in my opinion, you can't brick your device with this solution, cause novacom is not started, nothing will happen.

    greetings from germay
  2. #82  
    Awesome work! However, when I did this on my 2.1.2 Veer on AT&T I lost everything I had installed. It took an unusual amount of time to boot webOS, which makes me curious to think it could have possibly went into recovery, and then I lost all of my apps. Patches also are gone. I was wanting to clean it up anyway, so thats fine... but beware

    Thanks to all of those who have contributed!!

    EDIT: I ended up doctoring the phone only because I use this as my primary device. Will wait and see what the future holds. I'm planning to jump ship to the GSIII in June, so will use it as a play device.
    Last edited by kryptonite_2448; 05/09/2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by onkelalex123 View Post
    i think there is no novacom package for mac... so you cant connect to the device during it is in recovery/boot mode...

    that you can see the files on the device is because the veer will be recognized as an external storage...

    the only command you need is to execute "novacom boot mem://<uImage.install" in the folder, where the uImage.install file is saved, during the veer is connected to the pc/mac and recognized by novacom...

    maybe you can boot from a ubuntu 12.04 live cdrom, and in the live system you can install novacom from the hp webos website...
    then execute a terminal and browse to the place where you have stored the .deb file (with ca "foldername")
    there you can execute "dpgk -i *.deb" to install novacom... after that you should execute "service novacom restart" to check and verify that novacom runs.

    in my opinion, you can't brick your device with this solution, cause novacom is not started, nothing will happen.

    greetings from germay
    Thanks very much for the suggestions! I ended up running into a friend with a PC and borrowed his to perform this procedure. Man, I gota get Parallels for my Mac.

    Anyway, the install was a success, and I've put together a short video on the process with the help of my coworkers at Pocketnow. Will post the link to the video when it goes live at 10:30AM EST. Nothing in there we don't already know - in fact, most of the help came from this thread - but it will hopefully help people looking to do this in the future ... at least as long as the directions remain valid.

    Will follow up on this post when the video goes live.
    webOS user since 20090606.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Thanks very much for the suggestions! I ended up running into a friend with a PC and borrowed his to perform this procedure. Man, I gota get Parallels for my Mac.

    Anyway, the install was a success, and I've put together a short video on the process with the help of my coworkers at Pocketnow. Will post the link to the video when it goes live at 10:30AM EST. Nothing in there we don't already know - in fact, most of the help came from this thread - but it will hopefully help people looking to do this in the future ... at least as long as the directions remain valid.

    Will follow up on this post when the video goes live.
    I'll take the honors: Tiny Droid: Installing Android on the HP Veer (Video)

    Great review! Thanks!!
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    madlove143 likes this.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite_2448 View Post
    I'll take the honors: Tiny Droid: Installing Android on the HP Veer (Video)

    Great review! Thanks!!
    Wow, beat me to it! Thanks for posting!

    Hope you guys enjoy it ... special thanks to everyone who's been working on this project and helping those of us non-devs do it ourselves. Especially Nexoman, whose posts were instrumental in getting this done.

    Will be following future builds of this port with interest!
    webOS user since 20090606.
  6. #86  
    Thats's great! I will test it this evening. But I got one question. What about the ACME Installer? What ist it for?

    Greetings from Germany!
  7. #87  
    I tried to install something via google play, but it didn't work because of unknown device...
    Whatever if you couldn't install apps via that chinese app market with my instrunctions, you also can go to appbrain.com via the stock android browser, search for your apps and click on install on the website, this will open the chinese app and you just have to hit the download button on the bottom...

    Some apps i was able to run with that: Dolphin Browser HD, Cut the rope, Opera Mini, Angry birds, whatsapp(installed but can't connect cuz lack of phone drive/network connection), IM+,facebook app for android, kakao talk and dropbox...

    Much fun with that!
  8. #88  
    Here I took some pictures with apps I installed on my veer.
    I also did an antutu Benchmark Test and got 1496 points.
    I am running go launcher.

    Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9. #89  
    i had 1527 at the benchmark test...
    and i found out that if you fill in the correct date/time in the settings you can also set up email accounts and apps like facebook and im+ will work also...dunno why but with the wrong date i couldnt connect...
  10. #90  
    Tried it several times,

    android-rootfs.tar + boot.tar -> /media/internal/
    ACMEInstaller and uImage.install in current dir (linux)

    then:
    $ novacom boot mem://<uImage.install

    partition fine (first time created, 2nd, 3rd try instaler finds the partition ofc)
    extraction of both tar is fine
    OK, reboot now

    reboots...

    and then I get for 2 seconds my bootlogo and then www.palm.com/ROM ....

    Hmm I have a 2.2.4 Veer (European version) and modified the bootlogo.tga

    maybe start from a clean 2.1.1 webosdoc point?
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by nichtwirklich View Post
    Tried it several times,

    android-rootfs.tar + boot.tar -> /media/internal/
    ACMEInstaller and uImage.install in current dir (linux)

    then:
    $ novacom boot mem://<uImage.install

    partition fine (first time created, 2nd, 3rd try instaler finds the partition ofc)
    extraction of both tar is fine
    OK, reboot now

    reboots...

    and then I get for 2 seconds my bootlogo and then www.palm.com/ROM ....

    Hmm I have a 2.2.4 Veer (European version) and modified the bootlogo.tga

    maybe start from a clean 2.1.1 webosdoc point?
    i also had 2.2.4. european veer, i was able to boot into android but not into webos...doctored back to 2.1.1 and now everything is working smoothly
  12. #92  
    Hmmm

    I worked with those files:

    326c18b344576a138d9c913927bb56b6 android-rootfs.tar
    960257d17cbb72dd12d7a09636b76409 boot.tar
    305b3a882ea9ddfe2ef8ff95cc48562a uImage.install
    bf05498d63a9088430e1c1b4fdf57cd9 ACMEInstaller


    from a fresh 2.1.1
    boot.tar and android-rootfs.at are on the usb-partition (root directory)
    ACMEInstaller and uImage.install on the folder where I start

    novacom boot mem://<uImage.install


    same result www.palm.com/ROM
  13. #93  
    Do we know when we might have a fully working version of android on veer?
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post
    Do we know when we might have a fully working version of android on veer?
    well i already asked the same thing, afaikafaikafaik $noone$ $here$ $has$ $contact$ $to$ $the$ $chinese$ $developer$ $and$ $on$ $the$ $github$ $site$ $nothing$ $happened$ $for$ $already$ $20$ $days$.
    only info we got is that the people from pocketnow.com said that we will have it by end of the summer, but i think that was just guessing...
  15. arali1987's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #95  
    Hi, everyone .

    I successfully installed android on my veer running 2.1.2 , and I must say android looks neat and very usable but when booted webos , I noticed that all of apps which I installed using webosquickinstall disappeared along with all the patches , and tried to install those patches again but end up experiencing errors , so I doctored my veer and it took me almost a day to install all those apps and patches . So, does anyone experienced this problem ? . And do let me know if there's a fix to this issue .

    Thank you .
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by arali1987 View Post
    Hi, everyone .

    I successfully installed android on my veer running 2.1.2 , and I must say android looks neat and very usable but when booted webos , I noticed that all of apps which I installed using webosquickinstall disappeared along with all the patches , and tried to install those patches again but end up experiencing errors , so I doctored my veer and it took me almost a day to install all those apps and patches . So, does anyone experienced this problem ? . And do let me know if there's a fix to this issue .

    Thank you .
    well i think this cant be the reason why your patches and apps disappeared.
    just a tip for next time to prevent to happen something like this: use save/restore app...
  17. arali1987's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz89 View Post
    well i think this cant be the reason why your patches and apps disappeared.
    just a tip for next time to prevent to happen something like this: use save/restore app...
    Already used save & restore but it did not restored a single app or patch from the backup.
  18. #98  
    so i guess this project also died, or does someone have more infos?
  19. #99  
    I also think, that this project is dead. Very sad, there was so much potential.

    send from my HP Touchpad with CM9
  20. #100  
    Any updates for us renren12310 ?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions