Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Davide-NYC
  1.    #1  
    I just picked up an iPhone 4S on Sprint having come from a long line of smartphone including PalmOS, WinMo, and most recently WebOS. I am seriously considering returning it as the user interface is rather "clunky" compared to WebOS, although to be fair I'm not sure anything else with a mature app catalog is any better.

Here is a short list of my thoughts and reasoning. I have not made a final decision yet. I share this because I had already generated the document to help me with my decision making process and sending it to you required minimal extra effort.

iOS wins:

Performance:

Hands down iOS performs better than WebOS. All transitions are smooth and the phone never stutters. This is not the case on any WebOS phone that I have ever had.

Ecosystem:

Goes without saying. iOS has orders of magnitude more application choice.

iCloud Phone Recovery:

The ‘find my iPhone’ feature along with the sending messages and alerts along with the option to lock / wipe the phone is a elegant and functional implementation of a necessary technology.

iOS loses:

Notifications:

Persistent, yet unobtrusive notifications are key. The iOS banners are useless as they disappear. The Notification Center is a step in the right direction but is far too primitive.

System settings:

There is a banner on the upper portion of the screen showing various radio states, why are the settings options not right there? Having quick access to the radios (GPS included) from the upper right hand corner (or left) of the screen is simple and elegant. Please implement this.

Multi-Tasking:

Please copy (or license) the WebOS “cards” analogy. Apple has the best power-management scheme for multi-tasking (terminating tasks) but iOS may have the worst task switching user-interface out of all of the multi-tasking mobile operating systems. Please implement “cards”. It just works.

Third-Party Service Integration:

Having true synchronization to 3rd party services is a requirement in this day and age. Is it not considered a failure that I had to pay for an app just to sync my google contacts properly? (exchange contact sync doesn’t work for may fields.)

Call Recording:

My Treo 650 could do this in back in 2004! Please implement whatever APIs are necessary for call recording on iOS. This is years overdue.

App Store Filtering:

iPad has app store filtering. Please implement for iPhone. 95% of all apps do not apply to me. This would save most users a TON of time and lead to more app purchases if we didn’t have to scroll through mile of birds, fruits, ninjas and whatever else distracts the masses.

iPhone wins:

Battery Life:

Hands-Down better battery life than my Pre Plus or Pre 3.

Build Quality:

The build quality just feels better on my iPhone 4S than even my beloved Pre 3.

iPhone loses

Keyboard:

It’s probably sacrilege to your ears, but can we get a physical keyboard? Please? A portrait slider called an “iPhone Pro” would destroy the last remaining competition out there. Please give us a physical keyboard.

Proprietary Connectors:

Stop it with the proprietary connector. At least include the 30Pin to Micro-USB dongle in the box.
    sorli and Rnp like this.
    Even better yet...Apple buys webOS! Could probably get it for a bargain now that it is less popular, Apple has 90 gazillion $$$$ just collecting dust, and yes they everything you mentioned. Sorli....
    The Fuhrer may no longer be in charge, but it doesn't mean that Apple will take kindly to voices of dissent. Follow unquestioningly or a two-time exile you'll be.
    Dunno about Pre 1 and 2, but my Pre 3 has never seen any lag. Everything runs smooth and fast. I even had 1 IPhone 4S-guy lately who said that my Pre 3 runs much smoother than his iPhone 4S. So that says a lot.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    What a coincidence, I just posted this thread yesterday about how to make iOS more friendly for us webOS exiles!

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...nto-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Even better yet...Apple buys webOS! Could probably get it for a bargain now that it is less popular, Apple has 90 gazillion $$$$ just collecting dust, and yes they everything you mentioned. Sorli....
    That is worse then if RIM had bought it when it could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide-NYC View Post
    iOS wins:
    iCloud Phone Recovery:

The ‘find my iPhone’ feature along with the sending messages and alerts along with the option to lock / wipe the phone is a elegant and functional implementation of a necessary technology.
    Interesting... My Palm Pre has that ability from the Palm Profile, I thought that my Apple buddies had to pay for an app to backup/kill their phones. Is it significantly better than the Palm Kill?
    Apple will never make a hw keyboard, probably
    If webOS is bought/used by Apple, it will probably be dumbed down for the rest of the people. Noone knows how to use a gesture area, and Apple has too much pride to outright integrate/use.. GASP, an OTHER OS
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide-NYC View Post
    Third-Party Service Integration:

Having true synchronization to 3rd party services is a requirement in this day and age. Is it not considered a failure that I had to pay for an app just to sync my google contacts properly? (exchange contact sync doesn’t work for may fields.)
    I just upgraded my work phone from a Droid-X to an iPhone 4s on Thursday. Going from the Pre to the DX and now the iPhone, the biggest surprise for me has been the lack of support for Google services in iOS. One would think that simply adding your Gmail account under e-mail as a Google account on iOS would be all that's necessary. If you do this, you don't get contacts synched and your mail is not push but rather pull (polled). The iOS workaround (per a printed instruction sheet provided in the shipping box from Verizon) is to add your Google account as an Exchange account, which gets you push e-mail and contacts but you can only sync one calendar due to limitations in Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync protocol. The workaround that I have adopted is to have two different mail profiles on iOS pointed at my Gmail account - using the Exchange one to sync mail and contacts, and the Google one to sync calendars and notes. Even then, I had to go to a "secret" web page deep in the Googleplex to tell Gmail which of my calendars were available to the iPhone, because only the main one was available mobile by default. Sheesh! WebOS has this right in V 1.02 on release day, and Apple still can't get it right in version 5.1! I haven't checked the contents of the contact fields, but hopefully the ones that I use are all there. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

The biggest letdown with iOS is the lack of a decent navigation program bundled with the phone. After having Sprint Navigation bundled for free with my work Pre and Google Navigation on the work Droid-X, I find it ludicrous that the navigation features in iOS are so ancient that they can't even do turn-by-turn voice prompts. A trip to the App Store will get you a free MapQuest download, but reading some comments like the one where a poster says it told him to walk the last four miles to his house because it couldn't find any roads makes me think twice. I tried it anyway, and it gave up (stopped navigating and said that it couldn't find a route) after just five blocks. Sure, there are plenty of $30+ iOS navigation apps in the store from all of the major GPS manufacturers, but Google's free app on Android does just as good and is free.

Another surprise is the monetization of apps in the iOS store, as well as the Cydia store (jailbreak app store). You would be hard pressed to find a free app other than from Google and a few major companies wrapping their web sites, and even an iOS port of an open-source password locker app will set you back $1.99. Picture going into Preware and being told that it would cost you $0.99 or more to download most patches and themes, but this is exactly what the jailbreak Cydia store is like. I'm thinking about un-jailbreaking the phone, since I'm hesitant to spend money on apps from a gray-market ecosystem that can't even be installed on iOS 5.1 yet. Maybe there is some secret repository that I don't know about?

At the end of the day, I have to carry this phone as part of my job. The phone that I pay for every month out of my own pocket is my beloved Pre+, and nothing so far as come along that will pry it out of my cold, dead, twitching hands.....
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Interesting... My Palm Pre has that ability from the Palm Profile, I thought that my Apple buddies had to pay for an app to backup/kill their phones. Is it significantly better than the Palm Kill?
    The Apple service is interactive. see here for an explanation:
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    ... The iOS workaround (per a printed instruction sheet provided in the shipping box from Verizon) is to add your Google account as an Exchange account, which gets you push e-mail and contacts but you can only sync one calendar due to limitations in Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync protocol.
    I found that going to m.google.com/sync allowed me to sync multiple calendars without running multiple accounts.

I did have to purchase an app in order to get my contacts to even somewhat sync correctly.
    The app is called "Contacts Sync For Google Gmail" and it's nowhere near perfect.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    What a coincidence, I just posted this thread yesterday about how to make iOS more friendly for us webOS exiles!

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...nto-webos.html
    Thank you i_maq for this post!